We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

So about the parts of Gondor we will be getting this year.

It seems to me that the part of Gondor we will be getting is the biggest and broadest part of Gondor as a whole. My favorite part about Rohan was the expansive countryside inbetween the towns to ride around in. My main concern with these next updates is I'm kinda concern that the countryside between Dol Armral and Pelagir might be small. Since it will be a update and not a large expansion. Also after seeing how small and not as detailed the Entwood was compared to the Eaeves of Fangorn, I'm worried that even the world builder team of Turbine is starting to not take as much pride in there work as they used too.

This concerns me too, as the area between Erech, Dol Amroth and Pelargir is about the size of Rohan in its entirety. Much as I would hope to see this all, I get the feeling that in two updates, its going to be a struggle to be a region of that size. However, I'd prefer it to be scaled down if that meant we could go from one to the other without a loading screen, and we are eventually able to walk from the Fords via Anorien to Minas Tirith and beyond without a loading screen.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

I posted this a while back in the thread with the letter announcing this, but it recieved no notice among the 25 pages of bickering about beornings:

This is the area described, with the three major points pointed out, Erech is where we would start, assuming we woudl start from the exit of the Paths of the Dead. If they actually give us all of this, it would be at least as big as all of Rohan, which is why I don't have my hopes up, since it's scheduled to all come out this year, along with the Dead Marshes update. That's a lot of landmass to put out within 8 months, unless tey have had a huge head start on building it already. But I have a feeling it will only be smaller areas based around those cities, since he described the updates by the names of the cities, and not "East/West Gondor", or "Lebennin/Belfalas", etc. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Goreamir - 105 Capt | Jinwe - 91 Hunt | Celebourne - 94 Champ | Humblefoot - 77 Mini | Dorfus - 77 Guard | Creonath - 58 Warden | Stormcraban - 38 LM | Whippit - 40 Burg | Thangadir - 37 RK | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post

This is the area described, with the three major points pointed out, Erech is where we would start, assuming we woudl start from the exit of the Paths of the Dead. If they actually give us all of this, it would be at least as big as all of Rohan, which is why I don't have my hopes up, since it's scheduled to all come out this year, along with the Dead Marshes update. That's a lot of landmass to put out within 8 months, unless tey have had a huge head start on building it already. But I have a feeling it will only be smaller areas based around those cities, since he described the updates by the names of the cities, and not "East/West Gondor", or "Lebennin/Belfalas", etc. I hope I'm wrong though.
    From that map, Erech to Dol Amroth looks plausible, considering the amount of mountains near by - I'd picture it being a region about the side of Forochel - quite big in scope, but with the mountains (in the case of Forochel, the in-land lake/sea) being in the middle. Yet when they said Pelargir as well, its rather worrying, as that's a rather large distance, and I don't expect them to have made it all, but I'm hoping for my expectations to be confounded. LOTRO Players suggested that they might have a boat-swift travel thing between Dol Amroth and Pelargir, which is one plausible idea, but if this comes true I'd be pretty upset as it rather detracts from the idea of having the whole world connected, which is why there are countless posts of me asking for the two versions of the Fords to be connected.

That's why I'm hoping that, unless they have had a lot of time to work on the landscape beforehand and made it all to the usual scale, then an alternative would be to make the areas smaller, because then at least they could be connected up properly.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

I seriously hope the World Builders don't half ### this up. Though I'm worried about the same reasons the above poster mentioned. They did a great job with Rohan, especially West Rohan. But now they are kinda slacking a bit after seeing Entwood. Heck, I think even Wildermore and the Great River are bigger regions than the Entwood.

I posted this a while back in the thread with the letter announcing this, but it recieved no notice among the 25 pages of bickering about beornings:
    Haha, yeah, I think the new regions and landmass are a lot more interesting than the new Beornings class.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    I seriously hope the World Builders don't half ### this up. Though I'm worried about the same reasons the above poster mentioned. They did a great job with Rohan, especially West Rohan. But now they are kinda slacking a bit after seeing Entwood.

That's hardly going to be their choice. The devs can only create a world within the resources (read budget) they're given. I don't think it's very fair to accuse them of slacking. That bullet needs to aimed elsewhere.

That said, given this depressingly slim update, I can only anticipate a Gondor where we port between major hubs and iconic events are given the same "fade to black" treatment the breaking of Isengard received.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

For what it's worth, Fangorn was an attachment to the Helm's Deep expansion. The quest packs for the rest of the year are theoretically going to be full quest packs (a la Great River, Wildermore, etc). I, too, was greatly disappointed in how lacking Fangorn was/is, but I'm holding out hope that the rest of the year's content is going to follow a more traditional approach to quest packs. Size/content/quality of previous quest packs, free to VIPs, purchasable in the LOTRO store for 500-1000 TPs, etc.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    I seriously hope the World Builders don't half ### this up. Though I'm worried about the same reasons the above poster mentioned. They did a great job with Rohan, especially West Rohan. But now they are kinda slacking a bit after seeing Entwood. Heck, I think even Wildermore and the Great River are bigger regions than the Entwood.
    The Entwood isn't even in the same league as Wildermore or the Great River - those I considered to be decent sized regions in their own right, however the Entwood does look pretty good, despite how small it is. I'm hoping that the fact this region is so small means that they spent a lot of time on the Gondor regions we're getting, but I am concerned that might not be the case.

This is the map I use as reference - works well as a scalable resource: http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=2&l...yers=BTTTTTTTT

It would be a shame if they were just small areas around the cities. Looking at the scope of the lands - Belfalas, Lebennin, valleys of the Ringlo and Gilrain is a huge area which Turbines would builders could have really go to work on and do what they do best - bringing the world to life. Personally I'd love to see the majority of it left as "wilderness" for us to explore without the constant pull of a quest arch or hub to go to. If Turbine can also include Pinath Gelin and Anfalas as wilderness then all the better!
    It must be your PC...

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    For what it's worth, Fangorn was an attachment to the Helm's Deep expansion. The quest packs for the rest of the year are theoretically going to be full quest packs (a la Great River, Wildermore, etc). I, too, was greatly disappointed in how lacking Fangorn was/is, but I'm holding out hope that the rest of the year's content is going to follow a more traditional approach to quest packs. Size/content/quality of previous quest packs, free to VIPs, purchasable in the LOTRO store for 500-1000 TPs, etc.
    Also, please keep in mind that part of the effort that went into the Fangorn update was revamps of 3 other zones. I'm confident that future updates and quest areas will be more elaborate.

Far be it from me to be a voice of reason...lol

The size of the landmass may be right on in terms of what we want. They have time because no new systems are being done for these regions. The new systems we have gotten, and revamps of the legendaries and such, those are the things that bog down development. I am not worried that exploration of big areas and the rep grinds that go with them will be the focus this year.

We can't have a level cap raise in a small zone.
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanisul View Post

The size of the landmass may be right on in terms of what we want. They have time because no new systems are being done for these regions. The new systems we have gotten, and revamps of the legendaries and such, those are the things that bog down development. I am not worried that exploration of big areas and the rep grinds that go with them will be the focus this year.

I'm not sure that I'd say anyone was being particularly unreasonable, just concerned.

I hope that the reason that they have abandoned housing, have no new old style raids on the horizon, and have completed their inventory revamp mean that most of their staff are working on Gondor in some capacity, whether its future stuff like Minas Tirith and Osgiliath (which had better be awesome) or the next two updates.

And as for not having a level cap increase in a small zone, Great River contains 5 levels worth of quests, and that's not even half the size on the map of the area between Erech, Dol Amroth and Pelargir. But like I say, I'm open to being positively surprised

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    This is the map I use as reference - works well as a scalable resource: http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=2&l...yers=BTTTTTTTT

It would be a shame if they were just small areas around the cities. Looking at the scope of the lands - Belfalas, Lebennin, valleys of the Ringlo and Gilrain is a huge area which Turbines would builders could have really go to work on and do what they do best - bringing the world to life. Personally I'd love to see the majority of it left as "wilderness" for us to explore without the constant pull of a quest arch or hub to go to. If Turbine can also include Pinath Gelin and Anfalas as wilderness then all the better!
    Loving the map you linked, which highlighted one of the things I'm excited to see in the next update - Edhellond! Its been a while since we've seen a new Elven settlement

Quote Originally Posted by Artanisul View Post

LIs got revamped? I must have missed it. And I agree, no new systems - how many elephants in the room do we need?

We can have a level cap raise in a small zone if that zone consists of a number of repeatable quests that award XP. Not saying that will happen, but it's entirely feasible.

As someone has mention, I hope with how underwhelming Entwood was, could possibly be a sign that Turbine was working more on Dol Amroth and Pelagir. Just hope there is a lot of countryside and room to ride on the landscape with my Warstead.

Turbine already has most of the Gondor textures/buildings/interiors in-game, they just have to re-use them in Gondor with different scenery.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Here's another great hi-res map of Gondor, showing the potential this area could have if it's done justice.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../c2/Gondor.jpg

I also found some pretty epic looking artist's depictions of Dol Amroth.
    Goreamir - 105 Capt | Jinwe - 91 Hunt | Celebourne - 94 Champ | Humblefoot - 77 Mini | Dorfus - 77 Guard | Creonath - 58 Warden | Stormcraban - 38 LM | Whippit - 40 Burg | Thangadir - 37 RK | Jonly - 32 Beornng | Zongrul - 41 Bank

Here's another great hi-res map of Gondor, showing the potential this area could have if it's done justice.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../c2/Gondor.jpg
    Nice map, I hope some Turbine worker reads this thread for inspiration by making Gondor in Lotro awesome.

I will be sorely disappointed if there's not at least SOME SPOT we can go to see the Bay of Belfalas
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 113 WDN :.: Daire, 85 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 93 CHN :.: Brandon, 75 CPT :.: Honey, 72 GRD :.: Griffon, 70 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 73 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 58 WDN :.: Baye, 61 WDN :.: Samtal, 65 WDN :.:Dunnock, 57 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 69 LMR :.: Breyon, 45 CHN :.: Totes, 113 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Whoa, interesting. I didn't know Peragir was shaped like a triangle.

Based on the scale of southern Gondor, I would've thought we're looking at two separate landmasses. First the Paths of the Dead from Dunharrow to Gondor, leading south to Dol Amroth for Lv95-100. And then I would imagine we board a ship to be transported to the eastern zone (not physically connected to western section) surrounding Pelargir where we take the Corsair ships from behind.
    Aisya [Gilrain]

One important thing to note is that Dol Amroth and Pelargir will be appearing in separate updates. So I'd expect to see a pair of Enedwaith/Wildermore-sized landmasses. One that connects Western Rohan to Dol Amroth, then another that connects Dol Amroth to Pelargir.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    One important thing to note is that Dol Amroth and Pelargir will be appearing in separate updates. So I'd expect to see a pair of Enedwaith/Wildermore-sized landmasses. One that connects Western Rohan to Dol Amroth, then another that connects Dol Amroth to Pelargir.
    Given the size of Gondor on the map, I should expect that both landmasses in total should cover a similar area to the two Rohan landmasses.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast