We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Near Munich, DE
    Posts
    417

    Question will the Bree revamp ever be completed?

    The current anniversary festival had me running around a lot in Bree, and seeing the locked off dwarf quarter in Bree, I thought I would just ask here if

    a) that sector of Bree will ever be finished and opened to public?
    b) will we ever see moving carts like the one in said dwarven quarter?

    If I remember correctly, both were projects of Scarycrow, who is no longer on the dev roster. Is there anyone picking these up, or will they remain in their status quo?

    (If this has been asked or answered before, please point me there, search came up empty for me).
    in my thoughts and in my dreams they´re always in my mind
    these songs of hobbits, dwarves and men and elves
    come close your eyes
    you can see them, too - Blind Guardian, Bards tale

  2. #2
    I too have been wanting to know if Bree will be completed.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,092
    This actually came up in a Hobbit run awhile back:

    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    • Question about the dwarven area in Bree that Scarycrow was working on
      He honestly doesn’t know what the status of that is. If it was a personal project he was working on, it’s something other devs may choose to take on, but it was probably never an assigned task. In fact, most of the Bree revamp was a pet project of his.
    So it seems someone would need to adopt it for it to finally get completed. Not sure what the likelihood of that would be. I imagine that would probably at least partly depend on level of interest we have in seeing it completed. That's a bit difficult to gauge because we don't really know what was intended for that area, and therefore how can we get invested in the outcome? Mind you, curiosity is a big motivator.

  4. #4
    He's no longer around? How come? I'm hoping he wasn't one of the unlucky lay offs.

    I really liked Scarycrow - more devs need to take note. There's too much "We don't have time" - "it won't get us any more money if we do it"

    It's really nice to see a dev take on a pet project without having it assigned, to show love and passion for it.

    I'm not putting down the devs working on LOTRO, I know they work very hard and are passionate, but there are so many instances of the above quotes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,362
    as sad as this all sounds, in the end (dev leaving and project on hold), it is encouraging that the devs are (or, at least, were) allowed pet projects.

    I personally know devs for "other MMOs" (im from Redwood City, CA) and have never heard any of them talk about being able to work on pet projects... then again, most have to be quiet about their work.

    edit: wait, on second thought... my buddy used to make "legendary weapons" in his free time and they were used in "that one game many of us played first"
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    4,395
    Unlikely, unless Turbine find a way of gating access to it behind mithril coins....
    <A sig goes here>

  7. #7
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by BelamanthDE View Post
    The current anniversary festival had me running around a lot in Bree, and seeing the locked off dwarf quarter in Bree, I thought I would just ask here if

    a) that sector of Bree will ever be finished and opened to public?
    b) will we ever see moving carts like the one in said dwarven quarter?

    If I remember correctly, both were projects of Scarycrow, who is no longer on the dev roster. Is there anyone picking these up, or will they remain in their status quo?

    (If this has been asked or answered before, please point me there, search came up empty for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    This actually came up in a Hobbit run awhile back:

    So it seems someone would need to adopt it for it to finally get completed. Not sure what the likelihood of that would be. I imagine that would probably at least partly depend on level of interest we have in seeing it completed. That's a bit difficult to gauge because we don't really know what was intended for that area, and therefore how can we get invested in the outcome? Mind you, curiosity is a big motivator.
    More or less what frick said. it was a pet project Scary worked on in his spare time. had 0 to do with budgets or the store or anything else. Just straight up he felt like making changes and it was allowed during his off hours. For it to be expanded upon would require someone with a similar interest to step in and do so.

    There are a number of things in game that came about out of a dev taking a personal interest in changing things and taking personal time to do them.

    The confirmation box disable is the most recent example.
    Lua Scripting is another example. As is UI skinning.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Near Munich, DE
    Posts
    417
    Thanks for the answers.

    I really hope that someone on the team might also think moving wagons too cool to be left behind bars.
    And maybe someone can just lock up all the doors and open the gates that we can at least stroll around in there.
    in my thoughts and in my dreams they´re always in my mind
    these songs of hobbits, dwarves and men and elves
    come close your eyes
    you can see them, too - Blind Guardian, Bards tale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenomica. View Post
    I really liked Scarycrow - more devs need to take note.
    I was a big Scarycrow fan, too. Not because he took time out to do stuff in his own time - and made a huge, enduring difference to the experience of players in the process - I didn't know about that until after he was gone. That only makes me appreciate him more. The reason I liked Scarycrow so much was because of his forum presence. Not just that he took the time to discuss things with players, but because his tone and manner was always very up-beat, friendly and engaging. He came across as a really great guy who valued the community.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,400
    I don't think Scary was laid off? Just that he hasn't had time to complete it. Which is sad, I really wanted to see the second wing of the Pony opened up...

    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I don't think Scary was laid off? Just that he hasn't had time to complete it. Which is sad, I really wanted to see the second wing of the Pony opened up...
    As far as we know, Scarycrow no longer works on LOTRO. Whether that's because he was laid off or has been moved to another game, I don't think Turbine ever officially clarified. But, while it greatly saddens me to say this, as he was a truly amazing dev (for the reasons Frick stated above),don't expect to see him returning to LOTRO.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

    Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    902
    I hope he is doing fine. I really appreciated his work on Bree.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    As far as we know, Scarycrow no longer works on LOTRO. Whether that's because he was laid off or has been moved to another game, I don't think Turbine ever officially clarified. But, while it greatly saddens me to say this, as he was a truly amazing dev (for the reasons Frick stated above),don't expect to see him returning to LOTRO.
    Just doing a quick search, seems he is no longer with Turbine. No other information readily available, at least from that quick search.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    More or less what frick said. it was a pet project Scary worked on in his spare time. had 0 to do with budgets or the store or anything else. Just straight up he felt like making changes and it was allowed during his off hours. For it to be expanded upon would require someone with a similar interest to step in and do so.

    There are a number of things in game that came about out of a dev taking a personal interest in changing things and taking personal time to do them.

    The confirmation box disable is the most recent example.
    Lua Scripting is another example. As is UI skinning.
    And bless Scary for putting in all that extra hard work and time. The new Bree looks fantastic!
    Don't vote for Sapience...vote for meeeee!!!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Plymouth , UK
    Posts
    597
    Just today I was thinking that Scary said that warsteeds all around town will be eventually replaced with normal horses and the rohirric looking npcs will be replaced too. Hope that it happens someday. Scarycrow will be missed for sure.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload