We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lotro .app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash. /cry

Well, spent 7+ hours downloading, then clicking on the .dmg file, waiting for the "verify" to take place.

Then after dragging the Lotro .app icon ring into the Applications folder, and waiting for that to be done copying,
    and I clicked on the Lotro Launcher icon, it says:

"The Lord of the Rings Online.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash".

What? Wonder what caused it to be damaged?

Oh well. What to do now? I guess download it again, perhaps.

Geodel
    Windfola

Problem Solved:

Looks like, to help us, Turbine maybe can do something so this doesn't happen? I am not fluent enough in Mac to know.

oh, I tried starting Lotro again, but this time when the above error message came up, I clicked on the ? question-mark.
    It says this: So I did what it says, changing the Security & Privacy prefs to ANYWHERE, and it works !!

==== it says =====
    The app has been modified or damaged.
    The app’s code does not match the original code that was signed. The app has been modfied, or it may be broken or corrupted or have been tampered with. If you feel that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless the Gatekeeper settings in the Security & Privacy preferences is set to “Anywhere.”

==> Open the General pane of Security & Privacy preferences

For more information about protecting your Mac from harmful software, see this help topic:

==> Protect your Mac from malware

Same here

I was pretty happy to return to LOTRO but a last... I guess its not to be.... 21 GB of download to get this trash message. Not quite up to my expectation... ;-(. Ah well... maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ReakCyberJ View Post
    I was pretty happy to return to LOTRO but a last... I guess its not to be.... 21 GB of download to get this trash message. Not quite up to my expectation... ;-(. Ah well... maybe next year.
    This is an issue with OSX, not LOTRO. It is Apple's Gatekeeper generating a bogus error message. It is an Apple Bug!

It should be giving you the option to approve the use of the downloaded application, but it is not doing that.
    You need to disable Gatekeeper in "System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General"; Click the lock to authenticate, then click "Anywhere."
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

Quote Originally Posted by SirGandelphi View Post
    Looks like, to help us, Turbine maybe can do something so this doesn't happen?
    The simple answer is -- this is a conflict of corporate cultures.

Gatekeeper only recognizes "Known Developers" -- i.e. those who have registered with Apple. Turbine (i.e. Warner Brothers) has not registered. Some day they may, but only the Lawyers know for sure.

It is compounded by a bug in Gatekeeper.

Partial cast

Surpassed

Actually, it’s not a big deal, you just do it first time, then you can put the setting back and it will load normally.

Succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by kaske View Post
    Actually, it’s not a big deal, you just do it first time, then you can put the setting back and it will load normally.

Succeeded.
    Easier still is to Open the file via contextural menu which will open a prompt. This only needs to be done once for all account users on the Mac. Details;

Note: In most cases, you will only have to perform these steps once for all user accounts on the Mac

In Finder, Control-click or right click the icon of the app.

Select Open from the top of contextual menu that appears.

Click Open in the dialog box. If prompted, enter an administrator name and password.
    source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

In this way Gatekeeper is left at default setting and apps opened once only using this method.

Yes, that's what I tried first but it wouldn't load then I went to settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The simple answer is -- this is a conflict of corporate cultures.

Gatekeeper only recognizes "Known Developers" -- i.e. those who have registered with Apple. Turbine (i.e. Warner Brothers) has not registered. Some day they may, but only the Lawyers know for sure.

It is compounded by a bug in Gatekeeper.
    I only had this problem on the macbook pro running mountain lion on the old mac running snow lep no problem it is a 2005 vintage mac pro ver 1.1 that is to old to run mountain lion... it is is if turbine did not test the install on mountain lion macs as if they had they could have at a minimum included a read me workaround for the DMG window with the drag to application folder graphic.... or they could have done it properly and signed the app properly

Quote Originally Posted by Windidy View Post
    I only had this problem on the macbook pro running mountain lion on the old mac running snow lep no problem it is a 2005 vintage mac pro ver 1.1 that is to old to run mountain lion... it is is if turbine did not test the install on mountain lion macs as if they had they could have at a minimum included a read me workaround for the DMG window with the drag to application folder graphic.... or they could have done it properly and signed the app properly
    It worked fine with no issue when opening the LotroLauncher.dmg on my Mac with OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. The converse is more likely to be true, that the testing on older models and OS is likely to be less feasible.

You need to read the Apple kb article on Gatekeeper which has been linked as it states right there this very issue;

"Damaged" app. – The app has been altered by something other than the developer. This message will appear no matter the Gatekeeper option chosen.
    "App name" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
    Safari downloaded this file on Date & Time from URL.
    source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

This is an error generated on the Apple side and not the fault of Turbine. Equally, Turbine have stated that this is an open beta client and therefore they are not going to get it digitally signed until it is at release stage.

What would be useful is for an official Known Issues type stickied thread posted here which includes these issues and quick reference to workarounds and fixes to help avoid people digging down through posts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Windidy View Post
    This is correct -- Gatekeeper was not implemented in Snow Leopard. It was implemented in Lion.

Turbine has provided no documentation of any kind on any version of LOTRO since the Mines of Moria release. They too have taken the "we don't need no F'n manuals" approach which is sadly, now standard in the Computing industry.

I have tried to document as much of the Mac Client as I have been able to find out at lotro-wiki:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client

Partial cast

I think both are to blame.

1) Turbine/WB should just get a certificate for signing these things. It's not that it costs them anything extra per release.

2) Apple should display an error message that is accurate, aka "this thing isn't signed and your preference say you don't want to run unsigned apps" instead of the misleading message they give now. There should also be a dialog box offerings an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    1) Turbine/WB should just get a certificate for signing these things. It's not that it costs them anything extra per release.
    I am aware of two different explanations for this situation.

The first is that Turbine is not the developer, that it is a contract job.

The second has to do with the issue of the App - store. If Turbine makes LOTRO available through the App store, then Apple has a claim to ANY revenue generated by that APP (i.e. through the LOTRO, or DDO Store), 30% if the various blogs on the subject are correct. Reportedly, that is the reason why none of the "other" various Mac Games with in-game stores are in the App store.

And, sadly, if the Forums are any example, the Mac Client is likely to remain "Beta" for a long time !

Partial cast

Turbine has provided no documentation of any kind on any version of LOTRO since the Mines of Moria release. They too have taken the "we don't need no F'n manuals" approach which is sadly, now standard in the Computing industry.

I have tried to document as much of the Mac Client as I have been able to find out at lotro-wiki:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
    You work on the lotro-wiki is great Valamar.

While there is no documentation as such, they did sticky post a far bit of detail and even a Known Issue thread (Sapience) though it was only for one beta patch if I remember correctly, on the closed beta Bullroarer Mac Beta forum section. Really something along the lines of the Windows PS section;

Common Technical Issues
    Look here for answers to the most common technical issues. This is frequently updated by the Technical Support team.

Technical Support Tracker
    This special page will show you all of the latest posts made by the LOTRO Technical Support team.

Knowledge Base
    This link will take you directly to the Turbine Knowledge Base, where you'll find information on technical and gameplay issues.
    Though reading through those, the tracker shows the last Turbine response back on 10-26-2012...

Point being, without Stickies etc, the more comprehensive and useful posts get buried and the same questions repeated. And really this needs to be official FAQ, Known Issue type posts to grab peoples attention when landing on the Mac section.

As a side note it was interesting to see the Mine of Moria .pdf in the Mac client

Quote Originally Posted by Darmokk View Post
    2) Apple should display an error message that is accurate, aka "this thing isn't signed and your preference say you don't want to run unsigned apps" instead of the misleading message they give now. There should also be a dialog box offerings an exception.
    The exception dialog box is what is failing.

When Gatekeeper encounters a "foreign" item, it is supposed to display the pop-up box -- "New-app" is from an unidentified deveoloper. Are you sure you want to open it?"

The message which is being displayed is -- "New app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." This message implies that Gatekeeper knows who the developer was, that they signed the app, and that it has been modified.

Partial cast

The exception dialog box is what is failing.

When Gatekeeper encounters a "foreign" item, it is supposed to display the pop-up box -- "New-app" is from an unidentified deveoloper. Are you sure you want to open it?"

The message which is being displayed is -- "New app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." This message implies that Gatekeeper knows who the developer was, that they signed the app, and that it has been modified.
    Makes you wonder whether Gatekeeper had an unfortunate run-in with recent lag or memory growth

it says cant open because it is from an unidentified developer

mine says lord of the rings online cant be opened because it is from an unidentified developer what do i do?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
    mine says lord of the rings online cant be opened because it is from an unidentified developer what do i do?
    It's Apple's Gatekeeper.

See: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...er_Information

for details

Partial cast