We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Key mapping issues

I have been having problems with key mappings. If I key map my quick bar, it just resets to it's default when I log out. How do I solve this?

LOTRO saves the keybinds to the My Documents folder on Windows. It seems this folder is either being reset or you have no write permissions. Make sure LOTRO can write to My Documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
    LOTRO saves the keybinds to the My Documents folder on Windows. It seems this folder is either being reset or you have no write permissions. Make sure LOTRO can write to My Documents.
    It seems to have worked, thanks!

So I just exit the game, and it has still reset itself. When I go to File Explorer, the only thing it makes me get full access to is PluginData, but everything else opens freely.

Have you tried running LOTRO as administrator? Also, what OS are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by BíIbó View Post
    So I just exit the game, and it has still reset itself.
    This is usually caused by the client crashing when you exit the game; the crash is often not visible to you but it happens and the game settings do not get written to the files.

Next time you get your settings where you want them exit the game to the Character Selection screen and wait about ten seconds then exit the client. This should negate the crash and allow the settings to save.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Somewhere between a chair and a computer, what about you??
    I was having the same issue, and found out my computer was using the wrong program to open the lotro files. It was trying to use a Windows shell program, I changed it to Notepad and now it keeps my keymapping as I set it. Have fun, and good hunting
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000b2be1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Glad you got it fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
    Have you tried running LOTRO as administrator? Also, what OS are you on?
    I tried running it as the administrator, but nothing changes. I am 64-bit OS x64 based Processor.
    [URL="LOTRO.com/forums/profile.php?do=editsignature"].[/URL]

Key mapping not saving

I am having the same issue. I am using Windows 8.1, which I know is still in the testing phases for compatibility. Has anyone found a solution to key mapping not saving?
    I tried all the things on this thread, and more including checking for the right permissions and granting full control. Excluding files from Windows Defender, etc. I don't have Comcast Security Suite.
    Was Frae on Riddermark, now Fraed R-13 Warden on Landroval. I wished for this lifetime to last for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsonlyFrae View Post
    I am having the same issue. I am using Windows 8.1, which I know is still in the testing phases for compatibility. Has anyone found a solution to key mapping not saving?
    I tried all the things on this thread, and more including checking for the right permissions and granting full control. Excluding files from Windows Defender, etc. I don't have Comcast Security Suite.
    You can edit the key mapping file outside of the game using a program like Notepad. Doing it this way will tell you quickly if the file exists. It tell you whether you have write access to the file. It is found in a subfolder under My Documents or whatever My Documents for 8.1
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsonlyFrae View Post
    Do not confuse Key-mapping with Key-binding.

Key-mappings are found in the file lotro.keymap and are rarely modified by the end user.

Key-bindings are controlled by the Options/Key-Map in the running Game-client and are stored in the UserPreferences.ini file.

Both files are found in the folder Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online.

The difference between the two...

The keymap file has to do with your physical keyboard interface to your PC.
    The nomenclature of that file is very technical and beyond the ken of most users. (And finding documentation on how to edit it is virtually impossible.)
    This file can be edited completely independent of any activity in the live game, AND changes made in-game have no effect on it.

The UserPreferences.ini file however is easily edited and the options are directly related to the Options panel.

Now, the important point -- the UserPreferences.ini file is only guaranteed to be updated when you SUCCESSFULLY exit LOTRO -- CLEANLY.
    This means using the EXIT menu, not fast exit techniques.
    Any client crashes will NOT update this file.

To guarantee updates -- make your changes then Exit the game (either use Escape/Exit or the "up-arrow" exit option). Then go back and see if they have "stuck."
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

suspect Overwulf

Anyone that has downloaded Teamspeak3 was given the option to install Overwulf. Ok, I was going thru the options of Overwulf and found that it has its own keybinding system that by default is selected. On top of that lotro goes thru Overwulfs browser on default settings. I chose to uninstall it completely. I suppose if you played with the options long enough, you may be able to bypass it.

After I unistalled Overwulf, I did a CLEAN uninstall of Lotro. Directions on that can be found in Options>Help>Support Center>Knowledge Based Articles>Reinstall.
    Then, I used the express install.
    Upon the FIRST opportunity, when the client opens, before the high resolution option, I mapped my keys and did not enter the game. I just exited from the character selection screen.
    After that the High resolution option prompt came up, so I downloaded that. (optional, I am sure)
    When that finished I logged in and TAH DAH! Most of my key mapping was saved. Some of the more unusual ones, like using the arrow keys for horses I had to redo, but, it worked.

Hope this helps.
    Oh, and you don't have to uninstall Teamspeak3.
    Was Frae on Riddermark, now Fraed R-13 Warden on Landroval. I wished for this lifetime to last for a lifetime.