We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Resource for Sindarin language

Hello! I've returned to playing LOTRO after a break. I play a Lothlorien elf complete with a proud heritage slant. I am seeking a good and/or universally approved Sindarin dictionary. I have Ruth Noble's Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth which helps with syntax and grammar tremendously. But the good Professor only has about 200 Sindarin words in place. Thanks!

I find this resource very useful. This one is also handy.

http://www.elvish.org is also useful.

[CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I find this resource very useful.
    Yes, that's the Hisweloke project: an excellent resource.

As a 'quick-reference', or 'home-reference', I would recommend, the Parviphith Edhellen, which you can download as .doc; Helge Fauskanger has provided numerous other resources at Ardalambion.

For anyone who wishes to perform constructions, I would recommend confirming its 'authenticity' through the following method(s):

1. check Quenya: if the Quenya is there, confirm that the source is canon, and then convert the Quenya to Sindarin; the author's formal 'Quenya' work was 'more-refined' and/or 'more-complete' than his 'Sindarin' work, as of the time of his death; also, Quenya was meant to represent 'unchanging' Valarin-Eldarin ("Old Elvish as used in Valinor"), so in many places 'more faithfully' represents the condition/state of the language from which Sindarin is supposed to have developed (although there are differences: Valarin-Eldarin is not Eldarin).

2. compare any/all results from 1. to the Sindarin lexicons, and pay attention to what matches what, and how closely (and, in the case of significant disparity, see if it can be determined, why?); any entry in these Sindarin wordlists should itself be confirmed that its source can be considered canon; refine the basic construction accordingly.

3. confirm that the final product is grammatically sound.

4. search all Sindarin resources to see if the "new" construction already exists, and/or confirm that it doesn't possess a drastically-different gloss, or grammatical construction, or even basic spelling.

HoG

Do NOT use Ruth Noble's book. Here's a small read by the good folks at E.L.F. explaining why: http://www.elvish.org/articles/LRH.html

It seems that E.L.F. do not approve of David Salo's Neo-Sindarin, either, but for the full explanation (as well as some actually good resources), check out http://www.elvish.org/resources.html.

I do like realelvish.com, but I do not like how some Sindarin as it existed when LOTR was published seems to be ignored for other theories (govannen vs g'ovannen).

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Thanks a lot of the links and information. For my elf, I'm going to stick to Thingol's decree that made Sindarin the main language instead of Quenya.

Related to this question, anyone knows if there is any resource for the syllabification rules of the sindarin? I've found none...

I like Ruth's Noble's book since she gives grammar rules for Sindarin and Quenya. The critiques that I found about her work did not note anything specific other than omissions- mind you, this is a fictional language made up by a brilliant man (check out the Professor's version of the Lord's Prayer in Quenya for a good basis of sentence structure). Having said that, my research has led me to the following

verb structure:

Present:
    root + a
    na - is
    edra - open

Past
    root + ant
    nant - was
    edrant - opened

Future
    root + ath
    nath - will be
    edrath - will open

Imperative
    root + o
    No - Be!
    Edro -Open!

Participal
    root + iel
    niel - being
    edriel - opening

Auxiliary
    root + i
    ni - have been
    edri - have opened

Sentence structure:

object -verb-subject

ex: le linnathon
    literal translation: to thee chant will I

verb - objectt

ex: na vedui Dunadan
    literal translation: (it) is (at) last Dunadan

verb - subject

ex: noro lim
    literal translation: ride on

I try to speak some Sindarin with my characters. I have yet to figure out the typeface that will allow me to type the special characters. Also, I think there's a risk of misinterpretation but I ask in tells if I can't understand. I have elven characters on both Landroval (which I started on) and Laurelin with mixed results.
    Last edited by TreeHuggerSong; May 10 2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: corrected structure

There are some major flaws in what you just posted...

Edra- is indeed the verb stem for 'to open', however the present tense has more than one form and is as follows...
    Edron = I open
    Edrog = You open (informal)
    Edrodh = You open (Doriathrin)
    Edrol = Thee opens
    Edrol = Opening (adjective, present participle)
    Edrad = Gerund
    Edra = He/she/it opens
    Edrar = they open

Na- is the stem of 'to be' however all parts of the verb other than the imperative are reconstructed. The word 'na' is the preposition 'to'.
    Due to the way pronouns in Sindarin work, 'it is' is realised by Te = It is.

-ant only forms the 3rd person singular past tense.

'It will open' is actually edratha.

The auxiliary doesn't exist in that form at all.

Noro lim means 'ride swift' not 'on'.
    Xandarien Elanessa, Híril of Pupils of the Istari on Evernight

[url="http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com/"]Sindarin Lessons[/url]

Can you post a link to your grammar rules source, please?

Certainly. The basis of all Tolkien linguistics is (other than a good knowledge of linguistics), a lot of research, which I have spent the last several years compiling into the link found in my signature.

Pronunciation:
    The appendices of The Lord of the Rings, and The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle by Donald Swann

Vocabulary and grammar:
    The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion (including the Children of Húrin), The Letters of JRR Tolkien, The History of Middle Earth (particularly The Lost Road, War of the Jewels and several other parts)
    Vinyar Tengwar (particularly numbers 41 - 50) and Parma Eldalamberon (especially numbers 11, 13, 17 and 19); two linguistic journals that contain texts unpublished elsewhere (Ae Adar Nin being the longest) as well as all word roots (that are partly printed in HoME but not entirely). Also includes the original Noldorin and Goldogrin wordlists (in full) that would later become Sindarin.
    The Letters, though not an immediately obvious source, do contain useful tidbits, particularly surrounding the names Elrohir and Elladan.

A Gateway to Sindarin - although outdated in some areas, and superseded in these by Parma Eldalamberon issue 17 and Vinyar Tengwar issue 50 - is still a very useful resource when it comes to the Comman Eldarin origins of many words, and still has some reasonable theories regarding the past tense and the possible extrapolation of the verb na-.
    Pedin Edhellin is also an older resource that pulled together much of the earlier research into one place. (This is a .pdf published by a gentleman called Thorsten Renk, and can be found on http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/ ). It is however, also outdated, in much the same areas as A Gateway to Sindarin, as it includes the older Noldorin pronouns (ha, ho, hon etc.) instead of the later te, ten, tîn (which lenite to de, den, dîn, cf. Caro den).
    Xandarien Elanessa, Híril of Pupils of the Istari on Evernight

[url="http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com/"]Sindarin Lessons[/url]