We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

"Error: DNS Name Not Resolved" since U13

Has anyone else been getting this error message since the U13 update?

I cannot access the LotRO Store at all from within the game. I tried making a purchase shortly after logging into the game, immediately after the update, and I have gotten this error ever since. Kinnies inform me that they are not experiencing this issue.

Neither the "Lotro Store" button on the main toolbar, nor any of the specific purchase buttons built into the UI work (buy more quest slots, remove currency cap, accelerate deeds, etc).

This error message (Error: DNS Name Not Resolved) appears on a blank, white page with no other content (text or images). So there is no background or buttons or anything else at all on the page.
    Per the The Turbine Store is Blank article, clicking on Back or Home does nothing. Nor do I find the folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\browser\TWebBrowser
    The closest I get to that path is the browser folder. There is no "TWebBrowser" nor "cache". I've only got the following folders: chrome, components, greprefs, plugins, res. So which might need to be deleted is not obvious.
    Setting "No Proxy" in the launcher doesn't help either. Nor does completely exiting out of the game/Launcher (no tray icon), waiting several minutes and re-entering.

Can anyone comment? Or make a suggestion?

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Luthred; Apr 21 2014 at 07:40 AM.

There are probably others that have more detailed info, but here are few to look at.

• Release and reset you network card address.
    • Reboot your router, wait a few minutes and power it back up.
    • Check the hosts file to see if there's anything "odd" in there.
      There is normally only # comments and 1 line. If you have more than that in there consider a browser or network hijack.
    • File a tech support ticket to let them know your area and region and that the DNS did not resolve in your area.
      It does happen the DNS name service update can be borked. Every night the entire DNS map updates but if the update gets splinched and the name is not resubmitted for propagation, the name will not resolve. Only the owner of the name (.com) can request a new push on the name. I know of several other companies who's DNS did not propagate correctly until they made a new push on the name. It takes 24 hours for a new push to happen.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Luthred; Apr 21 2014 at 07:40 AM.

When you reboot your router your pc should auto-flush the DNS cache but just in case there's a command to force the DNS flush from your PC.

For more deep digging, you'll have to have to techy info and I'm not sure exactly what is available to retrieve on the white page or what external tools you may have access to outside of the Store frame (outside of help from Turbine Tech Support).

If you can find the true DNS name of what's not being resolved via some web tool analysis (ex: F12 in IE/ view source/ dev tool pages) you can see where you should go and where you are going. You can look at the cookies (aka trackers) and delete all of them (which will also delete your auto login and you'll have to redo those) and trace which cookies are being populated and which ones should not be there at all.

This behavior is not uncommon to a DNS or Browser Hijack and that's a whole other section to look into. A browser hijack may only be noticeable on one domain and other domains remain "normal" except the hijack is still working in the background doing whatever bad things those guys who make them can think of.

You can also take a walk through your antivirus program settings to see if something lotro related got blocked for suspicious activity (see hijack). If you have access to antivirus tech support it's the best way to do this because there's a lot of stuff going on with those settings and a wrong tweak can make your situation worse.

You can also lock down your browser settings as you experiment but again, what's open to you in the store page may be harder to find if you don't have external dev tools to look at it.

Here are some 411 references which may or may not apply; you might catch exactly where in the exchange the error is happening. A bit of "lite" reading ... like Hermione

Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    Has anyone else been getting this error message since the U13 update?

I cannot access the LotRO Store at all from within the game. I tried making a purchase shortly after logging into the game, immediately after the update, and I have gotten this error ever since. Kinnies inform me that they are not experiencing this issue.

Neither the "Lotro Store" button on the main toolbar, nor any of the specific purchase buttons built into the UI work (buy more quest slots, remove currency cap, accelerate deeds, etc).

This error message (Error: DNS Name Not Resolved) appears on a blank, white page with no other content (text or images). So there is no background or buttons or anything else at all on the page.
    Per the The Turbine Store is Blank article, clicking on Back or Home does nothing. Nor do I find the folder:
    The closest I get to that path is the browser folder. There is no "TWebBrowser" nor "cache". I've only got the following folders: chrome, components, greprefs, plugins, res. So which might need to be deleted is not obvious.
    Setting "No Proxy" in the launcher doesn't help either. Nor does completely exiting out of the game/Launcher (no tray icon), waiting several minutes and re-entering.

Can anyone comment? Or make a suggestion?

On my system I do have the designated path:

There are 6 objects plus a folder named "Cache" inside the TWebBrowser folder.

Do you have another copy of the install on another PC that you can clone that directory from?

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Luthred; Apr 21 2014 at 07:39 AM.

I think I might have my version of the problem resolved.

It appears to be my Antivirus/Firewall/Internet Security interfering with lotroclient.exe. I'm using Comodo's free AV and haven't had previous issues with it of this kind.

Comodo is currently showing that lotroclient.exe is trying to "access memory" and to change a registry key "HKLM/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/Tcpip/Parameters". Comodo's AV has multiple portions; one of them, Defense+, reports that lotroclient.exe is trying to do something with these watched areas & protected actions. Completely disabling Comodo allows me to access the store. Looking through things, I noticed that Comodo says lotroclient.exe is an unrecognized file. Right clicking on the file and choosing Remove and then rebooting caused the next start-up of the game to pop-up a Partially Sandboxed warning and I chose not to sandbox it again. Thereafter the game was fine. (Note that Comodo doesn't list lotro in it's sandboxed files listing, even though it was being partially sandboxed. Also, marking the file as Trusted doesn't resolve the issue. It must be Removed.)

Please note that I previously removed plugins one at a time, cold booted, started LotRO, opened the store, and on failing, rinsed and repeated until all plugins were disabled (but not uninstalled). So plugins should not be a factor at all. This was done before testing Comodo.

I'm going to do another shut-down and cold boot to make sure that the problem is/stays resolved.

Edit: Yes, it appears that Comodo was partially sandboxing LotRO - thus interfering with the operation of the Store.
    Last edited by AccessDenied; Apr 21 2014 at 02:52 AM.

I'm using Comodo too and I could solve the problem, THANK YOU! :-)

Thanks to SabrielofLorien as well. Their comments got me searching on the correct path.

Just wanted to add the following comments for anyone who might be experiencing this problem. This is the location to look in Comodo to see if sand-boxing is the issue:

Comodo appears not to list anything in it's Defense+ sandbox settings unless it's 100% limited or sandboxed. So a partially limited program is kind of in limbo. It's being restricted, but there is no way to know that without looking at the main interface, center panel, bottom. There is an icon of a light blue box with a down arrow, the text "Sandboxed Apps:" and a count to the right. If the count is 1 or higher, click on the count for a list of running applications that are being affected to any extent by Comodo's sand-boxing.