We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cithryth View Post
    I've been checking the auction house nearly every day and have not seen the dye. I've also tried asking in GLFF and even on twitter. Maybe on the largest servers it's easy to find but not on the lower/middle population servers. Every other dye is easily available very quickly after release. Why not this one? I still do not understand the reasoning, the why, behind gating a simple dye color behind two reputation recipes.
    Because Turbine want players to be busy for a while?
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

I agree completely, having the dye gated by two reputation-gated recipes from two different professions does not make much sense given the item that is being produced. I do not understand the developer's motivation for gating this dye so much more than other dyes. All the other dyes have been a random drop scholar recipe. And the special item for each dye has been something another profession can easily acquire - farming crops acquired with the new update/bought from a vendor; harvested from an ore node; harvested from a wood node.

Why have reputation-gated farming recipes at all? There aren't reputation-gated recipes for the other two 'gathering' professions (Prospector, Forester) and there is no Farmer's Guild (or Prospector's Guild or Forester's Guild).
    That's why I said that this may be the future in Lotro. Next tier we might not be able to gather any resource from the start. First play the content and when you reached kindred with the new factions you can buy rep gated gathering abilities for your profession. Gives players even more reason to rush through the content... Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Because Turbine want players to be busy for a while?
    The justification for not implemnting the housing updates was "Lotro is about exploring" (and that they were not happy with the results => too expensive).
    So why don't they give us more to explore to keep us busy?
    No, what we get are more grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratonia View Post
    You are comparing apples and oranges here. The wildflower recipe is not necessary for any of the dye resources. A guild scholar could produce any dye so far that required a certain resource and flowers are nothing but resources.
    This is the first time that Turbine blocks a resource from players that cannot do the rep grind. How would you like it if you had to do the Ent rep grind just to unlock the ability to find emerald shards in resource nodes? Probably not...

@Frisco
    You need at least the field and one of the crop recipes.
    I wish I had been more up-to-date with the farming and asked the right question. I don't want the bluebells, I wanted the dye component. So I wasted 100 Ent Leaves getting the flower recipe I'll never use, and there's no way I'm going to grind out another 100 for the scholar recipe. I guess I'll have to be content making 5 per day, which is plenty for me. Just can't give them to all the friends who want them. :/
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    The justification for not implemnting the housing updates was "Lotro is about exploring" (and that they were not happy with the results => too expensive).
    So why don't they give us more to explore to keep us busy?
    No, what we get are more grinds.
    Besides too expensive, I would also add too complicated & too time consuming.

The ones who wanted any significant updates to housing just forget about it & move on to something else. If after 7 years we haven't gotten a major upgrade to housing, we are never gonna get one. Even being able to buy 2 standard/deluxe houses per account/server is too complicated. We might get small things here & there added but don't count on anything big. Even down the road they do announce again a housing upgrade, my advice is don't believe it until you see it in game. Actually that's best to do with anything in regards to this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    honestly, I've already seen a dozen players with the dye on my server's AH, its not that hard to get. In the time this discussion has been up on the forums you probably would've had both recipes (farm&scholar) by now.
    that is not very correct. I happen to have a toon at lvl 95 for each of the crafting professions. In order to get your rep to ally to buy the farming recipe's and to kindred for the scholar dye recipe you would need to use Rep boost scrolls purchased from the Turbine store or AH. You can also spend 25 mithril coins per 5000 rep boost directly at the reputation page. That would be C button to open the character panel then at the bottom select reputation button, scroll to the botom for the mithril purchase of rep boosters.
    Some Players like me do not have all day every day to run every toon on every server thru the new content at the same time. Yes, their are players that spend that kind of time in lotro, they have fun and enjoy the game. Yes their are players who just dont mind burning tp, mithril coins on spending cash to keep everything going at a rapid i need it now rate. But I do not think that is the normalcy. Players who dont have the time to play every day all day or spend tons of tp, mc or real cash to boost their rep or get the slayer deeds done faster wont be done yet. Ive been working on it every day and im just over half in friend.
    Not to mention in order to get the ally and kindred rep quickly as some have done they had to have used the booster rep options from the very start of the first fangorn quest. because their isnt that many quests to get ally without it. Then even when you get all the quests done, their is only the 1 quest with quickbeam about the seeds and remembering the next step which has a 18 hour cooldown between steps. After that their is only the 3 crafting instances to do daily. And since we all know their is not such thing as a forester, prospector, scholar nobody is collecting the resources from all 3 instances per set of runs on each toon.

Their might be a dozen players with the dye but im thinking it was all made by the same select few players who paid tp or mc for the rep boosters to get the rep as quickly as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    The ones who wanted any significant updates to housing just forget about it & move on to something else. If after 7 years we haven't gotten a major upgrade to housing, we are never gonna get one. Even being able to buy 2 standard/deluxe houses per account/server is too complicated. We might get small things here & there added but don't count on anything big. Even down the road they do announce again a housing upgrade, my advice is don't believe it until you see it in game. Actually that's best to do with anything in regards to this game.
    atm, id say this opinion is pretty spot on.
    [center]***[color=red]Public Safety Reminder:[/color] When Driving, Please [u]do not[/u] use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, [u]do not[/u] or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***[/center]

Can someone explain to me what the fuss is about? Hardly new that selected crafting recipes are gated behind rep. I fondly remember 2009 and vol 2 book 8 when the Lothlorien rep armour and jewelry came out and there have been similar instances of rep gating since then. Why all of a sudden should there be an uproar over a dye? Hardly impacting character progression is it?

Thanks in advance.
    <A sig goes here>

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the fuss is about? Hardly new that selected crafting recipes are gated behind rep. I fondly remember 2009 and vol 2 book 8 when the Lothlorien rep armour and jewelry came out and there have been similar instances of rep gating since then. Why all of a sudden should there be an uproar over a dye? Hardly impacting character progression is it?

Thanks in advance.
    The fuss is because this is an entirely new precedent for dye colors and for Farmer recipes. Up until now, dye recipes were drops or auto-granted. Each dye color requires one (or two for some of the newer dye colors) special ingredient gathered from ore nodes, wood nodes or farming (and with farming the recipe was always either auto-granted out you could purchase it from the Farmer vendors). So in other words dye was possible to get quickly and could be made by any level character.

But now you have to be 95 to use the dye recipe, so this greatly decreases the amount of people able to get and make the dye. And on top of THAT you have to be a 95 Farmer to make the special ingredient. This is the first time there has been a reputation-gated Farmer recipe that is the only way to get a given item (some Farmer reputation recipes exist but they have given better ways to farm items you can already get with your default Farmer recipes).

Overall it seems like an awful lot of work for dye which up til now was pretty easy to get.

And dye colors may not "impact character progression" but for some people playing with cosmetics and putting together outfits is more important/fun than leveling or deeding or beating the newest instance or any other form of "character progression".

Thanks in advance.
    I think you already have the answer in your question. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that certain recipes for PRODUCTS are gated behind rep. But now is the first time Turbine locked a RESOURCE behind rep. Flowers are a resource for product recipes and THIS is exactly the point here. How would you like it if ore or wood would be locked behind rep?

Although I think that a dye recipe shouldn't be gated behind rep there is at least a workaround via the scholars guild but there is no workaround for the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratonia View Post
    I think you already have the answer in your question. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that certain recipes for PRODUCTS are gated behind rep. But now is the first time Turbine locked a RESOURCE behind rep. Flowers are a resource for product recipes and THIS is exactly the point here. How would you like it if ore or wood would be locked behind rep?

Although I think that a dye recipe shouldn't be gated behind rep there is at least a workaround via the scholars guild but there is no workaround for the resource.
    Indeed, if for example the ability to process Eorlingas Ore, Hides or Walnut Branches were gated behind say Eorlingas Kindred rep then that would indeed cause uproar - as an entire tier of crafting would be denied to anyone who did not to progress through HD. Actually casting my mind back to when RoI was released, the ability to process the third tier of resource (the finished stage) was gated behind Men of Dunland rep though thankfully that was changed after a while.

But this is just one item? Or am I missing something?

The fuss is because this is an entirely new precedent for dye colors and for Farmer recipes. Up until now, dye recipes were drops or auto-granted. Each dye color requires one (or two for some of the newer dye colors) special ingredient gathered from ore nodes, wood nodes or farming (and with farming the recipe was always either auto-granted out you could purchase it from the Farmer vendors). So in other words dye was possible to get quickly and could be made by any level character.

But now you have to be 95 to use the dye recipe, so this greatly decreases the amount of people able to get and make the dye. And on top of THAT you have to be a 95 Farmer to make the special ingredient. This is the first time there has been a reputation-gated Farmer recipe that is the only way to get a given item (some Farmer reputation recipes exist but they have given better ways to farm items you can already get with your default Farmer recipes).

Overall it seems like an awful lot of work for dye which up til now was pretty easy to get.

And dye colors may not "impact character progression" but for some people playing with cosmetics and putting together outfits is more important/fun than leveling or deeding or beating the newest instance or any other form of "character progression".
    Not sure why you put "character progression" in parenthesis. Reason? I've always been under the impression that character progression, along with the experiencing the story, was the primary purpose of this game. Guess I was just not aware how some people place such great importance on dressing up their characters in dyed cosmetics.

Either way, sometimes items are gated behind rep so that their attainment has a level of value as the reward. Rep steeds are an excellent example, which is many respects is just another form of cosmetic item. I see a dye - whether it's the recipe or a resource / component required to craft it as being no different in that respect.

Anyhow, I can see that some of you have strong opinions on about this so I'l just bow out and let you all get on with the discussion.
    <A sig goes here>

Indeed, if for example the ability to process Eorlingas Ore, Hides or Walnut Branches were gated behind say Eorlingas Kindred rep then that would indeed cause uproar - as an entire tier of crafting would be denied to anyone who did not to progress through HD. Actually casting my mind back to when RoI was released, the ability to process the third tier of resource (the finished stage) was gated behind Men of Dunland rep though thankfully that was changed after a while.
    I don't remember that because my characters were still lower level at that time but Turbine should have learned from that experience that locking resources behind rep is a bad idea.

But this is just one item? Or am I missing something?
    Yes, at the moment it is "just" one resource but like you said above there already has been an occurrence where they tried it with a different resource and had to paddle back. If no one complains this time they might try it again and again and you know how long it takes Turbine to fix something, especially when it's not game breaking.

Not sure why you put "character progression" in parenthesis. Reason? I've always been under the impression that character progression, along with the experiencing the story, was the primary purpose of this game. Guess I was just not aware how some people place such great importance on dressing up their characters in dyed cosmetics.
    I think what he meant was that the color of your outfit will not help you defeat your opponents quicker, crafted armor, jewelry and weapons will. So I guess that players will agree that the best gear can be rep or guild gated. A flower or dye has nothing to do with "best gear" so I see no reason to block access to it especially since a flower is a resource and not a product at all.

There are lots of players who like to attend public festivals (oh yeah, yesterdays concert was great again ) and I don't want to imagine that without the colorful outfits. It's always nice to see all the dresses and other outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    So I haven't done much farming in years--can someone refresh my memory as to why there are 3 different recipes at the ent barter? There's Bluebell Field, Bluebell Crop (x1) and Bluebell Crop (x5). I only need the field recipe to grow them, right?
    Don't know if this got answered, but:

- you need the "field" recipe to actually plant the crops in a relevant field, which you then harvest into intermediary items;
    - you need the "crop" recipe to convert the intermediary item into the end-result item (in this case, the bluebell) at a workbench.

The Crop (x5) recipe just allows you to speed up the conversion process, it's like the bulk-recipes you can get for harvesting professions...

???? How else are they going to get people to spend endless hours in a broken zone.

A long time ago, I remember Stalks of Rubbard only growing in the lonelands when introduced into the game, and kinda rare when searching for them. I am not sure what recipe there were needed for the cooks, maybe scholars. Now they are a ingrediant from the cook supplier, so sometimes it takes time for them to change things.

Maybe they just didn't have the resources when 13 cam out, to change it from beta, as it might not of been just a simple click. It might of been something overlooked how ever far back they did the code, and didn't add it to farmer, but did get it in the game. And if the base code comes from India or Russia, then the coders might now even understand what any of it is. Wherever it comes from, I would guess they don't even play the game.

I also remember, sometime in angmar, when you could't get the fingers? needed for the 50 class quest, as a patch took them out of the game for 2 to 6 months, but that was a long time ago. Things happen in wierd places when doing something in another place. Don't remember if there was even a blue name response. Then I might not of been using the forums because of the trolls.

Also, somewhere in the past seven years, it seems like the didn't even get 1 ingrediant in the game for a while, I can't remember which on, or what it was needed for. Just seemed like it happened.

I also member when the 50 quest item books were rare drops, and for a hunter, way over 10 gold each, back when gold meant something. Then boom, they changed how you got them, and just buy them, but most in the game had already grinded them out. And horses available starting at level 35 costing 4.5 gold, sure did see alot of 40's still running around who couldn't afford them. Almost had to start saving from day 1.

Stuff happens, oh well. How many of the players even understand the pig joke in everswim? Why does everyone want everything now? You used to have to work for almost everything in the game, now so much is instant.

But it would be nice for a blue name to say they are working on it, so the grind won't be necessary in the next few months.

But now, to get the bluebell dingies, do I have to change my only 95 grinding the rep and area, again, to something that has farming as a part of the profession, to be able to make the crops? Scholar got the dye recipe from the guild. I was working on the chance that I could move the recipe down to a lower toon, but it doesn't seem so. And no, I won't buy the rep with mithril coins. Already hate the grinding there for rep.

I only want to make it for the gold at the auction house, so what is the best way to get it done right now, within the game, however long it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdmaha1998 View Post
    Another please don't make us work for anything post. We want everything handed to us...and people wonder what is wrong with this game.
    We see these kinds of posts in every MMO forum: "This thing is too hard to get. How dare you make a mechanic that actually requires me to play the game to get something!"

Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    Besides too expensive, I would also add too complicated & too time consuming.
    That's quite the definition of "too expensive". Time is money. Developers cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    We see these kinds of posts in every MMO forum: "This thing is too hard to get. How dare you make a mechanic that actually requires me to play the game to get something!"

I've been playing this game since the beginning and am not adverse to a bit of hard work to get somewhere. But, with less time and nine characters that craft, the process of getting all of them up in rep and getting the leaves to buy and craft armour etc. is such a daunting task that I've even found myself wondering if I want to spend all that effort in a game I love. Grinding is not fun in anyone's book and having to run instances for nine characters is getting a bit extreme. So I'm in favour of not putting crafting recipes and resources into a rep system that is a sink hole for time

It comes to a point where you have to say...enough is enough. Turbine will find this out, maybe not today, but if they persist in these kind of mechanics their player base may dwindle when diehards are faced with a monumental hill to climb.

Shouldn't we have some fun along the way? Or is Lotro all about the grind?

For what it's worth, this is being changed on Bullroarer:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ULLROARER-ONLY

Crafting
    Farmer: Removed the Reputation requirement for the Bluebell Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post

Makes me sad that Turbine gave in on this.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post

Thanks for posting this update. I'm glad that Turbine listened to us crafters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2