We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 69 of 69
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-Earth
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgiles View Post
    I love this idea. I'm so sick of finding that the only rp on those server are lame concerts and filled with more lame dancing. I will gladly be a part of this rp if it is going on while I'm logged in. I've experienced racism being Mexican and living in salt lake city. I find racism to be something that's taken far too serious these days thanks to all the race baiters on tv like Al Sharpton. My dwarf is so racist against elves, Charek Ironspear at your service.

    So you rp a racist just because you can? Wow logic there way to go. And if it wasn't for those lame concerts and lame dancing there wouldn't be as much traffic on this server. If you don't like it go elsewhere. And by the way I suggest you read what Sapience posted. You push the envelope too far you'll find yourself in violation of the CoC. Just because you experienced racism doesn't give you the freebie of acting like one through rp. I've been subjected to racism all through my childhood into adulthood but I will not be a racist even if it's rp related. You're adding to the baiting just as much as the real world morons.
    [size=3][font=papyrus][color=#00FF99]Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval[/color]
    [color=#33CC99]Elven Minstrel of Rivendell[/color]
    [url=http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/portal/]Member of Sons of Numenor[/url][/size][/font]

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    So you rp a racist just because you can? Wow logic there way to go. And if it wasn't for those lame concerts and lame dancing there wouldn't be as much traffic on this server. If you don't like it go elsewhere. And by the way I suggest you read what Sapience posted. You push the envelope too far you'll find yourself in violation of the CoC. Just because you experienced racism doesn't give you the freebie of acting like one through rp. I've been subjected to racism all through my childhood into adulthood but I will not be a racist even if it's rp related. You're adding to the baiting just as much as the real world morons.
    Dwarves and Elves are pretty much on bad terms and usually almost always come to argument and sometimes close to fighting as well. Not all Dwarves are like this generally, however telling him that he has to be a Dwarf that's kind and respectful and completely on great terms with Elves is in and of it's self, contradictory to what you said yourself, so i'll say this and quote you, If you can't stand the fact that a Dwarf will be racist against an Elf, with Lore via Books, scripted in the movies, and even shown throughout the Lotro Game; all of them, whichever you wish to choose, "If you don't like it go elsewhere."

    As Sapience posted, it's a thin line we're walking, and that's due to it being a issue between made up races and ethnicities, between made up characters.

    When it becomes harassment and all that, then there's a racial issue. Which is why every single time I have stressed that this optional and if you inform the individual you don't want to be involved if they approach you, then that player who's approached you either respects your wishes or then creates an issue with you and them as to which you are responsible to resolve on your own via ignore and/or reporting.

    There's things that insult and irritate me just like any other player. There is no winning at all in a MMORPG. You pick and choose. You're the player with the ultimate power over yourself. End of story.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-Earth
    Posts
    140
    Dwarves don't trust Elves there's a difference and not everyone was so damn hateful to each other. Because of the poster's attitude in regards to it shows me he's a little hateful person too despite what he's been through. The last dwarf to try that I hate all Elves nonsense was ignored by most of the rp'ers on the server and he was outright hateful towards Elves too. Disruptive at events to the point they had to stop because of his ranting about how much he hates Elves. I get the same vibe of what this poster said. Yea I think I'll be avoiding this scenario entirely. If someone is just going there to be just be freaking hateful because he feels entitled then no. What he's doing it is just because you're opening the gateway for me to do so because he hates all the other stuff done on this server. This is the bs I was afraid of coming into this. It's one thing to have a reason rp wise due to background but this guy? Hell no.
    [size=3][font=papyrus][color=#00FF99]Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval[/color]
    [color=#33CC99]Elven Minstrel of Rivendell[/color]
    [url=http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/portal/]Member of Sons of Numenor[/url][/size][/font]

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    746
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Lancastor, but it sounds like most people condemning this RP are making the classic Roleplayer's mistake: confusing a character's IC actions with the player's OOC intentions. Also, people seem to have the belief that those in favor of the "Anti-Foreigner Movement" are meant to be the heroes, or protagonists, of the plot, which I don't think is necessarily your intention. In fact, it sounds like you very much like you intend the opposite, and I assume that by the plot's resolution, those characters who hold such bitter hatred for "outsiders" will have their eyes opened to the heroics of the Free Peoples, a people of any race, and recognize that their fears of these real "heroes" was unfounded, and perhaps spurred on by the lies of Sauron and Saruman.

    If this is indeed the case, then the theme of your plot does not differ much from the one we experience multiple times throughout quests in Enedwaith and Dunland, where our characters are constantly harassed and dubbed the unfavorable "Duvodiad".

    You see, it is the role of any plot to create conflict. This is true for plots in RP, as much as in television, movies, books, etc. And that is exactly what this plot is doing, for better or for worse. It is, to me, no different than if I were to Roleplay an evil warlord from Mordor who desires to kill or enslave those who serve the Free Peoples. Now because that is my character's desire, does that mean that I as a player condone murder and slavery? Absolutely not! However, most good Roleplayers can understand the need to introduce such a character to serve as a foil against their own character's noble and heroic deeds.

    And so while others may be misled or mistaken, it's part of your responsibility as the OP and creator of this plot to make sure that they are corrected and properly informed. After reading some of the posts, it sounds like the problem is not so much with the plot itself (which deals with a theme that Tolkien himself tackled in his works), but rather others are offended by the way in which the plot has been presented. The moment words like "racism" and "bigotry" get dropped, people will get up in arms over the cause, whether that's your intention or not. In the future, you should avoid using such words, and make it clear that this plot does not represent your OOC opinions toward others. Also, make it known that this plot does not give others a blank check and excuse to be rude, arrogant jerks on an OOC level.

    There's a huge difference between RPing a racist character for the purpose of character development, and RPing one just to be an ***hole. Make sure that those interested in your plot know the difference.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4,409
    I think it is a slippery slope to even attempt this line of RP. Regardless of intent, with an base IP with so many known allegorical figures and themes, all it requires is one person, intentionally or not, saying the wrong thing to light the entire server community on fire.

    Speaking personally I play this game to escape and enjoy myself. In my own Kinship I do not allow for chat of religion, politics. In my experience in running said Kinship and it's far flung counterparts in other games, at no time has any segue into such matters ended well. Under the surface of most groups you will have people of different sensitivities. The resulting drama, inability of a large group to sustain purely intellectual discussions online, and just the very nature of digital communities makes allowing it utterly untenable.

    While it might be true that most people are simply looking to explore a plot line I very seriously doubt that this will fail to attract somebody who takes advantage of it to express real world views by proxy. I've seen such behavior before in small ways during the past 8 years, it inevitably happens and never ends well.

    As it is thus a corrosive influence on the community I value, speaking personally I cannot support the effort even as an experiment for reasons I've learned by experience. I'm formally discouraging my own members to avoid or as RP'ers can, disregard the comments and discussions in-game.
    Last edited by Comstrike; Apr 30 2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Lancastor, but it sounds like most people condemning this RP are making the classic Roleplayer's mistake: confusing a character's IC actions with the player's OOC intentions. Also, people seem to have the belief that those in favor of the "Anti-Foreigner Movement" are meant to be the heroes, or protagonists, of the plot, which I don't think is necessarily your intention. In fact, it sounds like you very much like you intend the opposite, and I assume that by the plot's resolution, those characters who hold such bitter hatred for "outsiders" will have their eyes opened to the heroics of the Free Peoples, a people of any race, and recognize that their fears of these real "heroes" was unfounded, and perhaps spurred on by the lies of Sauron and Saruman.

    If this is indeed the case, then the theme of your plot does not differ much from the one we experience multiple times throughout quests in Enedwaith and Dunland, where our characters are constantly harassed and dubbed the unfavorable "Duvodiad".

    You see, it is the role of any plot to create conflict. This is true for plots in RP, as much as in television, movies, books, etc. And that is exactly what this plot is doing, for better or for worse. It is, to me, no different than if I were to Roleplay an evil warlord from Mordor who desires to kill or enslave those who serve the Free Peoples. Now because that is my character's desire, does that mean that I as a player condone murder and slavery? Absolutely not! However, most good Roleplayers can understand the need to introduce such a character to serve as a foil against their own character's noble and heroic deeds.

    And so while others may be misled or mistaken, it's part of your responsibility as the OP and creator of this plot to make sure that they are corrected and properly informed. After reading some of the posts, it sounds like the problem is not so much with the plot itself (which deals with a theme that Tolkien himself tackled in his works), but rather others are offended by the way in which the plot has been presented. The moment words like "racism" and "bigotry" get dropped, people will get up in arms over the cause, whether that's your intention or not. In the future, you should avoid using such words, and make it clear that this plot does not represent your OOC opinions toward others. Also, make it known that this plot does not give others a blank check and excuse to be rude, arrogant jerks on an OOC level.

    There's a huge difference between RPing a racist character for the purpose of character development, and RPing one just to be an ***hole. Make sure that those interested in your plot know the difference.
    I've stressed the things mentioned here. It is not a blank check for players to do as they will. I've constantly noted that players who don't wish to be involved should inform those who are attempting to. And then if persisting, to do what they deem needed to resolve their issue. I've also said that this is the view of characters and not their players and that there is a very big difference between the characters persona and views and that of the person behind the keyboard. I've done what I can to tell players what they can do and gave a few examples of how to go about it.

    Players will always find a reason to get up in arms over everything and anything no matter how large or small. No way to please everybody. I've done what I could to be civil, respectful, and kind, but a majority of the posts on this entire thread have been insults, disrespect, and a select few attempting to throw their '101 reasons not to' book at me, using the same rehashed reasons that I have covered several times with multiple reasons that touched based with more than just one viewpoint on it. As one can see there are players who are for, against, and are neutral with honest advice.

    As for the guessing of this being similar to the Dunland style quests of the mislead, it's not so much as mislead as it is individualism and nationalism clouding what some may term as "Proper thinking" or something. Those who are on the Anti-Foreigner side are completely sole minded. They are only a few percentage. The minority. I've seen most events and RP being the typical "Good vs Bad" "Man vs Nature" Etc. This event series and storyline is to bring in something realistic, new to the present majority of active roleplayer base, comprised of fresh players that have come in due to the F2P and server-changing, etc. It's not something that anyone ever touches base on. The inner demons of a small amount from a large demographic group; Bree-landers.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    I think it is a slippery slope to even attempt this line of RP. Regardless of intent, with an base IP with so many known allegorical figures and themes, all it requires is one person, intentionally or not, saying the wrong thing to light the entire server community on fire.

    Speaking personally I play this game to escape and enjoy myself. In my own Kinship I do not allow for chat of religion, politics. In my experience in running said Kinship and it's far flung counterparts in other games, at no time has any segue into such matters ended well. Under the surface of most groups you will have people of different sensitivities. The resulting drama, inability of a large group to sustain purely intellectual discussions online, and just the very nature of digital communities makes allowing it utterly untenable.

    While it might be true that most people are simply looking to explore a plot line I very seriously doubt that this will fail to attract somebody who takes advantage of it to express real world views by proxy. I've seen such behavior before in small ways during the past 8 years, it inevitably happens and never ends well.

    As it is thus a corrosive influence on the community I value, speaking personally I cannot support the effort even as an experiment for reasons I've learned by experience. I'm formally discouraging my own members to avoid or as RP'ers can, disregard the comments and discussions in-game.
    I can only do what I can and urge the same of those involved on either side. As for the actions of your Kin, you are the Kinleader. Whether or not they partake or not is their choice, how you respond to those choices are also your own. I simply present a storyline. Up to each individual to choose if they want to participate in any form or not.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    Dwarves don't trust Elves there's a difference and not everyone was so damn hateful to each other.
    Didn't say they all were.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    Because of the poster's attitude in regards to it shows me he's a little hateful person too despite what he's been through.
    Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine on a flowery meadow? I'm so glad that I could give you such a false claim. Please do keep that one close to heart, and I'll add a few more down the road i'm sure. I'll be sure to remember always how that speaking about the horrible relationship between two imaginary races and protecting a poster on MY thread against your hypocritical comments, makes someone a little hateful person. I'll tell everyone I know so they too can someday be little hateful people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    The last dwarf to try that I hate all Elves nonsense was ignored by most of the rp'ers on the server and he was outright hateful towards Elves too. Disruptive at events to the point they had to stop because of his ranting about how much he hates Elves. I get the same vibe of what this poster said.
    You speak of the extremes. You charge the topic by using the syntax of the poster and then make it out to be something extreme and blow it out of proportion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    Yea I think I'll be avoiding this scenario entirely. If someone is just going there to be just be freaking hateful because he feels entitled then no. What he's doing it is just because you're opening the gateway for me to do so because he hates all the other stuff done on this server. This is the bs I was afraid of coming into this. It's one thing to have a reason rp wise due to background but this guy? Hell no.
    Tell me again how you know everything about the players dwarven character and his reason and background. I love that story. I must've missed his entire Bio on this thread too. Can you link it for me? I'd love to read the lack of reason in his evident character bio which I completely missed on my thread. Because it's totally here and available.

    Quit being a hypocrite and harassing people. Your assumptions don't help either. If you don't want to be involved then don't. If you don't want to be involved in this thread anymore, then don't. You haven't contributed anything to this thread. You've rinse and repeated, insulted, spewed hypocrisy, and then got all rude, telling a player to leave the server just because he wanted more events instead of all the music and dancing.

    I am far from perfect, but i'll say this much: Check yourself before you go trying to correct others. And don't correct another if you're going to be a hypocrite in the process. It destroys the entire argument on your part.

    I'm tired of the entire thread being used as a battleground instead of a place to share experiences, display information, and contribute and discuss in a civil manner. The moment I disagree and explain why, someone gets their fingers in a twist and start blowing steam. I welcome disagreement, but know that I am willing to disagree in return and share my reasons why. Constructive criticism is one thing, telling someone "Nope, don't do it, won't work/I don't like it/You're a racist because you chose to do this topic/you're an angry person because you did this, that, and 50 other things/etc.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    902
    I always affiliated roleplay with (virtual) acting and therefore art. I can understand that people are a bit sensible about special topics in real life, but I don't see why making taboos out of tolkiens lore in this game is very helpful.
    Especially when the organisators intentions were pretty clear and he is doing it on a RE Server. It doesn't look like he is doing it as a celebration of racism in middleearth, more a demonstration.

    I don't come from a RE Server but people are bitching about "my" race (dwarfes) all the time. And vice versa. Sometime it is lame, sometime it is fun. But I never saw this as some kind of racism connected to real life.

    People who feel the urge to protest against racism should to it in the real world. It is much more needed here than in fictional worlds/storys imo.

    And I think what Tolkien was trying to say with these characteristics is that the people of Bree were a bunch of intolerant, anxious and maybe greedy people.
    Last edited by Schinderhannes; May 01 2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

  10. #60
    I've read the entire thread but have not commented because I don't really have any characters that would, realistically, get involved in the internal politics of Bree. However, that being said, I believe folks are confusing "racism" with "jingoism". I think the latter is what the OP is intending and the plot is concerning.

    I'm certain - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Lan - if a Breelander had his roots, way back when, to Rohan or Gondor but his family has lived in Breeland for generations they would be considered Breelanders as well. Yes?

    The plot, to me, sounds like it's pitting "Breelanders" - a "nationality", for lack of a better term - against other nationalities (i.e., Gondorians, Rohirrim, etc - who, in case no one's noticed, since it hasn't been addressed, are also men...same race).

    If that IS the case, then it's NOT racism, it's jingoism so the argument that it's race against race makes no sense, imho.

    You can't really compare (also my opinion) the real world where ONLY men exist - and are often judged by appearance, alone - with a world where TRULY other "races" exist, beyond just "men".

    As reference, for those who don't know: (From Webster's Dictionary)

    Racism - : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

    Jingoism - : the feelings and beliefs of people who think that their country (in this case more a city/state) is always right and who are in favor of aggressive acts against other countries

    Just my two cents,

    Goldrush
    *******

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-Earth
    Posts
    140
    Post made on April 15, 2014 Like I mentioned to you before ingame via tells you have to tread lightly with the whole anti-foreigners thing due to not all being some vile person coming to cause chaos in Bree. The fallout over this is going to hurt the economy of Bree due to it being a town you pass through to get to the Shire or to head out to the Lonelands. How will it be hurt? Basically no one will do trade with any Bree-lander. All the things you rely on from other races will just stop coming and find other ways to trade with each other without using Bree as a middle ground which cause Bree to lose out on any taxation of the trade goods. The Watchers are made up of Bree-landers and foreigners because no one else will take up the post and most of the foreigners have adopted Bree as their home so you're saying thanks for the protection but get out. That sort of display sow seeds of mistrust and also gives the criminals an exploit to perhaps take over the Watchers and get away with whatever they want. I would assume this is already happening as I've seen some rise to crimes happening around the Pony as well as within the Pony.

    Another thing is making the assumption that all foreigners are bad. While many will always assume it due to whatever interactions they've had in the past or whatever stories they are fed it's going to just turn people away from certain rp'ers which doesn't help the community that's been around for a long time. Personally speaking it's tiresome to come by Bree and get given #### for being an Elf when I wear a hood that would cover my ears but due to some who can't seem to not metagame they'll give me some #### despite it. Crass comments that aren't even warranted are another thing. My character has never done anything vile or cruel to the people of Bree and has in fact in the past helped heal those wounded by criminals with Laerlin. The reason I stopped doing that? The drama that keeps coming up with the anti-foreigner stuff. Bree is the melting pot of the game and it's going to become a war ground for people to be jerks ICly of course but there are going to be some that use this as an excuse to go after people for an OOC issue. I implore you to be very careful with this. Thus far with this plot I've been an observer to this at various times since this started and I can say that it honestly shows a lot of ignorance ICly towards people who have tried to help Bree and protect it. Creating more conflict when there's a bigger fish to fry just makes it look like you're working for the enemy.


    True. I just haven't found a time to be around while the conversations do occur or when they are occurring there is this eagerness to dive into a fight something I don't get involved in at all. I don't blur the lines between IC and OOC but I've seen some players blur them to create problems. Hopefully this won't be an issue with what you're doing. I don't know who's involved thus far but just wanted to let you know it's an interesting idea though I know ICly my character will be wary of what's going on. She's got some backstory she can reveal but again it's being in the right place at the right time scenario. I can't always be online when certain things happen due to real life things like everyone else has

    Thanks for responding I do appreciate it


    Lets not forget the fact I've chatted with you ingame politely about the potential problems this can cause and just a couple nights ago suggested you try using the Town Hall due to it having seats and a wrap around balcony to allow you to have you debates on this matter. So yea I didn't give you ANY constructive criticism nor ideas huh? Right whatever. You're just pissed off because I don't agree with the poster that outright said he rp's a racist after which Sapience posted that's a violation of the CoC and this rp you've made is very close to being in violation as well. Keep digging kid you're burning bridges left and right and I frankly don't care if you keep prodding my kinleader to shut me up. I have every right to voice my opinion on this matter as you've made it an open discussion. Maybe you should have taken the advice to make this a private affair rather than air it publicly under the eyes of board moderators.


    [size=3][font=papyrus][color=#00FF99]Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval[/color]
    [color=#33CC99]Elven Minstrel of Rivendell[/color]
    [url=http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/portal/]Member of Sons of Numenor[/url][/size][/font]

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    32
    Watch out, Tallon, if you express a contrary viewpoint to his he'll eventually threaten to report you for harassment even though this is a public forum and you have every right to voice concerns and counter-points, and you also have every right to discuss the situation among your kin members and friends (as I did, to which he decided I'm rude and I'm badmouthing him, even though the discussion to which he refers was in my kinship's channel as my kin members and I discussed what we each felt we would like to do about the situation).

    Nothing inspires confidence in an individual or their works more than that individual taking a position which could be paraphrased as "if you don't agree with me then you're a meanyface and I'm telling mom".
    [b][u]The Lord of the Rings Online[/u][/b]
    Characters: [i]Grennoch, Cerdac, Bastrom, Leonthuil, Madren[/i]
    Kinship: [i][url=http://berudh.enjin.com]Bears of Berudh[/url] (Leader)[/i]
    Server: [i]Landroval[/i]

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post




    Lets not forget the fact I've chatted with you ingame politely about the potential problems this can cause and just a couple nights ago suggested you try using the Town Hall due to it having seats and a wrap around balcony to allow you to have you debates on this matter. So yea I didn't give you ANY constructive criticism nor ideas huh? Right whatever. You're just pissed off because I don't agree with the poster that outright said he rp's a racist after which Sapience posted that's a violation of the CoC and this rp you've made is very close to being in violation as well. Keep digging kid you're burning bridges left and right and I frankly don't care if you keep prodding my kinleader to shut me up. I have every right to voice my opinion on this matter as you've made it an open discussion. Maybe you should have taken the advice to make this a private affair rather than air it publicly under the eyes of board moderators.


    Try to lower your ego, cause I haven't even bothered approaching anyone to get you to calm down or quit posting. Keep your assumptions going, it's not in anyway more than that. You're assuming. I just called you wrong on your hypocritical comment. The player plays a dwarf who is hostile and hates Elves, he's racist. You then go and tell him he's wrong, that he has no reason to be, that he's just being racist because he can, and that he's just some angry person who has no backstory for his characters views on elves. I see that kind of RP every single day in The Pony. Gondorians and Easterlings. Elves and Dwarves. Elves and Men. I haven't seen someone make a comment about it yet. I haven't seen those players banned yet. You are taking a hot topic and then making even bigger and blown out of proportion. Sexual things, cursing, harassment, and several other things are against the CoC too. However i've seen you cuss several times already. I see inuendos all the time in game. Regional Chat, OOC Chat, every chat channel has those things that are against the COC. Next time you're on, please go on a rant and go crazy on them for all their violations too. Otherwise don't nitpick. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

    And sure. You have the right to speak your mind. I have my right to disagree and then say why and defend other posters who came here sharing their views and giving their thumbs up for involvement. Don't preach if you're not snow white. Because when you start throwing around Code of Conduct while you violate it, you're not very convincing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by exaltedben View Post
    Watch out, Tallon, if you express a contrary viewpoint to his he'll eventually threaten to report you for harassment even though this is a public forum and you have every right to voice concerns and counter-points, and you also have every right to discuss the situation among your kin members and friends (as I did, to which he decided I'm rude and I'm badmouthing him, even though the discussion to which he refers was in my kinship's channel as my kin members and I discussed what we each felt we would like to do about the situation).

    Nothing inspires confidence in an individual or their works more than that individual taking a position which could be paraphrased as "if you don't agree with me then you're a meanyface and I'm telling mom".
    Funny, all I have seen is the "101 reasons why you're wrong." that you shared ever so strongly. When you commented, I replied, and then you went from constructive criticism to "Well, yada yada, and this is wrong, because of this, and you're wrong because I play this way..." and then you went petty. It's not an issue with differencing views. It's a problem with you wanting the entire event to be changed to suit your likes and wants.

    You can talk and word things all you like, but I was forwarded each comment verbatim. Do I have them saved in a nice little folder that I can wave around, hollering "Lookie lookie!"? Nope. But you were speaking poorly and in a rude manner. Even went so far as to call every roleplayer who gets involved in this event a "player who lacks substance and has no creativity" that "can't come up with anything better." Keep your prodding and ranting about how I am a self centered person who can't accept others comments. I'll just sit here drinking coffee and reading the same rehashed stuff that is unoriginal.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldrushSE View Post
    I've read the entire thread but have not commented because I don't really have any characters that would, realistically, get involved in the internal politics of Bree. However, that being said, I believe folks are confusing "racism" with "jingoism". I think the latter is what the OP is intending and the plot is concerning.

    I'm certain - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Lan - if a Breelander had his roots, way back when, to Rohan or Gondor but his family has lived in Breeland for generations they would be considered Breelanders as well. Yes?

    The plot, to me, sounds like it's pitting "Breelanders" - a "nationality", for lack of a better term - against other nationalities (i.e., Gondorians, Rohirrim, etc - who, in case no one's noticed, since it hasn't been addressed, are also men...same race).

    If that IS the case, then it's NOT racism, it's jingoism so the argument that it's race against race makes no sense, imho.

    You can't really compare (also my opinion) the real world where ONLY men exist - and are often judged by appearance, alone - with a world where TRULY other "races" exist, beyond just "men".

    As reference, for those who don't know: (From Webster's Dictionary)

    Racism - : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

    Jingoism - : the feelings and beliefs of people who think that their country (in this case more a city/state) is always right and who are in favor of aggressive acts against other countries

    Just my two cents,

    Goldrush
    *******
    Didn't even know that word existed. It's a combination of both. Bree-landers against foreigners in a whole. Racism against other races and that fancy word against same-race ethnicities who aren't native to Bree-land. Also, on the topic of other countries being of Bree by bloodline through immigration, yes. Bree-land has been passed through several hands over time, so in essence Bree-land is a mutt race, but nationalism and the later generations come up to form the native populace which is Bree-land/Bree-lander. Thinking that there was Arnor, Cardolon, and ... One or two others at least that made Bree-land apart of their kingdom.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e518f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadwarfdude View Post
    Funny, all I have seen is the "101 reasons why you're wrong." that you shared ever so strongly. When you commented, I replied, and then you went from constructive criticism to "Well, yada yada, and this is wrong, because of this, and you're wrong because I play this way..." and then you went petty. It's not an issue with differencing views. It's a problem with you wanting the entire event to be changed to suit your likes and wants.
    Paraphrased: "The moment that I (Lan) saw that your response wasn't one that praised me, I glossed over the content of it entirely, just like I've done with the posts by every other individual on this forum thread who has had something to say about my idea that isn't praise (including the response by an actual employee of the company). Instead, I just cherry-pick a comment or two to that seem like they're mean towards me and go into defensive mode."

    You can talk and word things all you like, but I was forwarded each comment verbatim. Do I have them saved in a nice little folder that I can wave around, hollering "Lookie lookie!"? Nope. But you were speaking poorly and in a rude manner. Even went so far as to call every roleplayer who gets involved in this event a "player who lacks substance and has no creativity" that "can't come up with anything better."
    A: Whether or not the comments were forwarded to you is irrelevant. It is 100% ordinary for kin members to discuss relevant matters in their kin chat. During such discussions, individuals are regularly of varying opinions and some of those opinions will not be ones which praise the subject matter. People are allowed to dislike you, in spite of your narcissistic viewpoint to the contrary.

    B: You don't seriously expect anyone to believe that you have never once had a discussion with another player, or a group of other players, about a plot, or about other players, and that the content of that discussion was one of criticism towards said plot or player, do you?

    C: Cherry-picking a portion of what I said without the context in which I said it and then posting it here is very classy, he said sarcastically. I'm not going to validate your BS with a rebuttal to the cherry-picked comment - nice try, though.

    Keep your prodding and ranting about how I am a self centered person who can't accept others comments.
    Keep being that. It makes this easy.
    [b][u]The Lord of the Rings Online[/u][/b]
    Characters: [i]Grennoch, Cerdac, Bastrom, Leonthuil, Madren[/i]
    Kinship: [i][url=http://berudh.enjin.com]Bears of Berudh[/url] (Leader)[/i]
    Server: [i]Landroval[/i]

  17. #67
    Lan, whatever usefulness this thread may have had seems to have run its course. I suggest you request to have it closed/deleted and use the other thread as needed to post any updates.
    Arion: Landroval/Elentiri

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    I have no problem with any of this. Unlike some here i can determine the difference between this and real life, between a character role-playing and my actually opinions outside game. It's just a game and I think the story line is OK. I avoid the pony at the best of times with what is mostly poor role play to start with so this would be the least of my reasons to steer clear.

    My advice would be to stop trying to relate this game to your real life - if you have issues doing that this plot line is the least of your worries.
    “Over the field rang his clear voice calling: ‘Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!”

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Suburbs of Illinois
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by exaltedben View Post
    Pointless continued discussion is pointless. Good luck, have fun, etc. None of my business anyway.

    http://www.reactiongifs.us/joffrey-s...me-of-thrones/

    Classic reaction right there, people.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload