We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Too squishy

I remember when I first started with my hunter, I had to spend a few minutes planning, laying down traps, and crowd controlling if I planned to take on 3+ enemies at a time. It was great! I loved that challenge.

Last night, while fighting underneath Isengard I had to pay attention again and it was great!

Keep it up!

Well, until this evening I didn't notice too much of a change... okay, mobs hit some harder and I couldn't pull half a light blue camp anymore, but that was okay... questing still worked out fine; but then I had that encounter in one of the orc camps in Eastern Rohan where that escaped Uruk Hai from Stangard shows up again (Dargun or something) and sent a signature troll at me to clean up behind him.

Dangit, that beast was blue to me (my champ was 81) and killed me once, almost wiped the floor with me the second time and it took me the third try with throwing everything at him - including the use of scrolls and healing pot to finally succeed. W.T.F??? A blue signature mob???
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

Hi,

It's partly a itemization-issue. Until level 85 most gear has an item-level which is about your own level (give or take a few) at 95 we have gear with item-level 176! If you add a totally bizzare dps-increase on the LI's between 85 and 95 (my unleveled dps-increase on a hunter bow was +60%!) everything is bound to be faceroll on a 95'er.

If you now try to fix this by making everyone weaker disregarding level i'm pretty sure some levels 'in the middle' has seen a pretty harsh difficulty-increase. They should of course have started with making our 95-gear go down to item-level ~100/105 and then check how stuff is working. If still to easy the change could have been made more balanced for all levels.

I have not tested my low-levels yet after the update, but i will do in the next week and i'm happy to give tips about how to improve in this thread according to the good spirit Humbabumba has shown.

My 95'ers are still to easy, so the change did nothing for me tbh. This means many players mid-level do suffer for something i (and many others) asked for without actually solving the problem. Sorry about that, but we didn't know they would go this route! Many players asked for itemization-changes and fixing mob-dps in instances instead to prevent this situation.

And if you are struggeling and happen to play on Evernight, feel free to contact me in game (all alts in sig) if you have any specific question on improving stuff or need help with crafting.

Regards and happy hunting!
    /T
    Dawarad HNT | Dawadan MIN | Dawfast CMP | Dawaran CPT | Dawmur GRD | Dawared WRD | Dawagrim RK | Dawaras LM | Daweric BRG | Dawagar MIN | Dawarar CMP | Dawnakh WRG | Dawbag BA | Dawgil WVR | Dawglob WL |

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    Hi,

It's partly a itemization-issue. Until level 85 most gear has an item-level which is about your own level (give or take a few) at 95 we have gear with item-level 176! If you add a totally bizzare dps-increase on the LI's between 85 and 95 (my unleveled dps-increase on a hunter bow was +60%!) everything is bound to be faceroll on a 95'er.

If you now try to fix this by making everyone weaker disregarding level i'm pretty sure some levels 'in the middle' has seen a pretty harsh difficulty-increase. They should of course have started with making our 95-gear go down to item-level ~100/105 and then check how stuff is working. If still to easy the change could have been made more balanced for all levels.

I have not tested my low-levels yet after the update, but i will do in the next week and i'm happy to give tips about how to improve in this thread according to the good spirit Humbabumba has shown.

My 95'ers are still to easy, so the change did nothing for me tbh. This means many players mid-level do suffer for something i (and many others) asked for without actually solving the problem. Sorry about that, but we didn't know they would go this route! Many players asked for itemization-changes and fixing mob-dps in instances instead to prevent this situation.

And if you are struggeling and happen to play on Evernight, feel free to contact me in game (all alts in sig) if you have any specific question on improving stuff or need help with crafting.

Regards and happy hunting!
    /T
    The big bump in item level, along with making them visible, was to allow people to feel that they are progressing more than they have in the past. The big jump was deliberately made to be a control point for data gathering. That data gathering was something that had to be done live (betas and alphas are not going to be representative samples). Pass one has been done, with some tweaks prior to U13. Pass two in is progress. Changes to mitigations were suggested as a means to help with balance. People are forgetting character scaling. Level 10s upped to 95 for Epic Battles were too weak. Giving more spread to lower level items will help some. Changing the contributions of main stats to mitigations helped to bring virtues back into the equation. I still think that ratings -> mitigations, b/p/e formulas need to be less brittle to scaling. Moors scaling shows that. The lumpy curve needs to go away and the tunable parameters eliminated. If they can't eliminate tunable parameters, they need to be simplified to one parameter that can scale better.

I cannot emphasize enough that people are overlooking character scaling in these discussion. Ponder that, please, much more than has seemingly been done.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Some of you newer players wouldn't remember the days before Siege of Mirkwood came out or even before Mines of Moria. The game was much more challenging back then, from landscape mobs to instances (for example, old unsplit Great Barrow or Garth Agarwen on level anyone?) and I died MANY times on my nine characters, especially the light armor classes, BUT I persevered, thought about new tactics, learned more about my class and skills, beefed up my gear and virtues and always got through those tough encounters (either solo or group) and felt a sense of pride and accomplishment once I, or we if grouping, did finally succeed.

Everything about this game had become WAY too easy since f2p came along so I suggest if you are having trouble then stop and think about ways to adjust and like me you will succeed.

Just being facetious here but I suppose the outrage would be a hundredfold if today's newer players had to, just a random example, wait until level 35 to get their first horse like us oldtimers had to!
    Elendilmir forever!

Quote Originally Posted by elfincat View Post
    I'm not sure what to do...tonight has been an exercise in frustration. My rune keeper and minstrel are now so squishy they're pretty much no longer playable. Against a single non-elite they can survive if I pay attention and don't make any mistakes. But against an elite or several non-elites I frequently have to stop fighting and go into frantic life-saving mode, which usually ends with me dying.

Since the update I notice that my toons get hit much harder, to the point where a single hit can knock down a third of their health which causes me to have to stop fighting and concentrate on staying alive...usually ending in my dying before I can recover my health. I also notice it takes a whole lot longer for my toons to kill stuff. This is not only not fun but it is far worse and far more difficult than combat pre-trait trees.

I suppose a handful of experienced long-timer lv95 hard core players rejoice with this change...but my toons are 50s and 60s and I just play for fun a few evenings a week. For me, the casual gamer, this is almost a show stopper. At the moment I don't see how I will get anymore of my toons through Moria, where elites and swarms abound and in which escape isn't as easy as out in the open.

I can only pray that this terrible combat situation will be tweaked a bit. I don't want the game to be too easy but it shouldn't be too hard either and right now for rune keepers and minstrels it's a real bummer.

I haven't had a chance to try much on my hunter yet, but I'm a little weary if the low to mid levels are really becoming that hard. I guess I'll just have to test it to find out for sure.
    "I've always found the idea of death comforting. The thought that my life could end at any moment frees me to fully appreciate the beauty and art and horror of everything this world has to offer."

OMG come on new players, challenge yourself, stuff (life, games, etc) aren,t always that easy!!! Be happy give it a try and you ll see it way more rewarding as just clickin 2-3 buttons only!!!
    hahaha lol
    Brandywine/Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by melkart View Post
    OMG come on new players, challenge yourself, stuff (life, games, etc) aren,t always that easy!!! Be happy give it a try and you ll see it way more rewarding as just clickin 2-3 buttons only!!!
    hahaha lol

So only those complaining about the game being "faceroll" are allowed to complain? This seems like an appropriate moment to say, "C'mon, son!"

(it seems we've hit on the same issue in two seperate threads *lol*)
    Last edited by Christopher_S; Apr 15 2014 at 04:47 PM.
    "I've always found the idea of death comforting. The thought that my life could end at any moment frees me to fully appreciate the beauty and art and horror of everything this world has to offer."

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_S View Post
    So only those complaining about the game being "faceroll" are allowed to complain? This seems like an appropriate moment to say, "C'mon, son!"
    LOL My third language is English, but still !!! I can t read where I´m complaining, the only one that is looking to QQ all over the posts is, guess who?
    And by the way I never said you aren't allowed to complain or did I? haha try it and MY SON Come on lol hahaha

haha yup =)
    Brandywine/Elendilmir

I, for one, am tremendously pleased that something was done to increase landscape difficulty, even if only a little. LOTRO is still significantly easier to play than it was a few years ago, but thanks to this update, it's no longer quite the mindless "press two buttons, succeed" sort of game it was starting to become. Just as a caveat (because the accusation has been making the rounds in this thread already, I see) I am by no means a "leet" player; I spend most of my time in the game solo, and I don't spend a lot of time gearing up my alts with best-in-slot teals or working on their virtues.

Back in the day, I used to craft purple gear and weapons for my alts because they gave me a slight edge in damage and survivabilty while playing landscape quest content. Over the past few months, I've just been half-heartedly equipping awful quest drops and mob drops, because wearing decent crafted gear meant I either one-shotted or two-shotted on-level mobs -- and that, to me, just isn't fun gameplay at all. Now? I feel like it might be worthwhile to start crafting again.

For everyone who's currently having difficulty with landscape content and claiming that this update made the game too hard, I suggest either levelling up your crafting, or becoming friends with people on your server who like to craft. If you're not making as much impact as you'd like while wearing quest drops, some nice purples or teals may make it a little easier for you. Working on virtues would help you out too, though I don't think it's entirely necessary. My alts all have extremely low virtues and have yet to die while tackling landscape stuff. There were one or two close shaves, to be sure, but that for me is far from "unplayable."

If you're on Landroval and need a hand with crafted goods, just send Merethel a tell. I don't even charge anything for my crafting services if I have the materials I need, unless the recipe calls for a shard or something that's difficult/expensive to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_S View Post

(it seems we've hit on the same issue in two seperate threads *lol*)
    this isn't about that its about players using all theirs skill mainly not just 2-4 skills and mob is dead so i'm fine with these changes

LOL My third language is English, but still !!! I can t read where I´m complaining, the only one that is looking to QQ all over the posts is, guess who?
    And by the way I never said you aren't allowed to complain or did I? haha try it and MY SON Come on lol hahaha

haha yup =)

I'll apologize then if I came across accusatory. I think I was more or less responding to a general attitude that I was seeing throughout a few threads on the back and forth between players upset with some of the changes and those that are pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen1981 View Post
    this isn't about that its about players using all theirs skill mainly not just 2-4 skills and mob is dead so i'm fine with these changes

I can't speak to the changes myself, since I've been far too busy to spend any significant time in the game yet. If others are having issues or concerns, I was merely pointing out that they have a right to express that. I'll know a little more about my own opinion on the changes once I've had time to really experience them.

haha yup =)
    Too much of the halfling's leaf?

I’m just starting some toons on a new server and they are all below level 20. What I’ve observed so far is that white, yellow and orange mobs
    are just a little harder to take down but still easily doable. Reds seems to be a more serious challenge but still not much of a threat when one on one.

One chance I’ve had for a rough comparison was when before the latest upgrade I took a Minstrel to the Barrow-downs to take on Brishzel the barghest.
    I’ve never been successful with a toon at this level with this encounter but then I’m not the best player by far. Anyway my blue traited Minstrel took the
    Barghest down with little difficulty! I knew the difficulty level over the last couple of years was steadily being lowered but this was an eye opener. Now after
    the upgrade I took a Captain, also blue but a couple of levels higher than the Minstrel and tried to take Brishzel down. He wiped the floor with my Captain.
    I don’t think I lasted a 30 seconds. I like the changes at least at the low levels. It’s harder but not by any means seriously difficult with landscape mobs
    but watch out for those signature mobs.
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach

Still gutted by the housing news, but other than that loving everything about this patch. I made a brand new cappy just a few weeks back. He died at around 36-37 while doing the elite hillmen at GA... 3 at a time. That was the only time he had died, he's now 42 and soloed the Master Elite Agarochir (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Agarochir) at 40 with nothing but quest rewards and no buffs. It was so dull I decided to put him on hold.

Read this thread, made a new char, Burglar this time and was so pleasantly surprised. Had I not paid attention I had actually missed my Undying title.

This is no bluff post. I'm not a good player, I'm not hardcore, not knowledgeable and yet I can solo all that content which we once upon a time needed 3+ for. I can only imagine how a hardcore player would feel.
    I am absolutely loving the new difficulty factor and while the rogue is sitting only at lvl 20 now, I hope the remaining 75 lvls prove to be equally good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambruyn View Post
    I am absolutely loving the new difficulty factor and while the rogue is sitting only at lvl 20 now, I hope the remaining 75 lvls prove to be equally good.
    Maybe 74 then...
    At 95, no changes in PVE, still quasi-immortal
    They must increase mobs/bosses stats in instances and review the bad itemization from HD
    Last edited by Castorix; Apr 15 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elfincat View Post
    I'm not sure what to do...tonight has been an exercise in frustration. My rune keeper and minstrel are now so squishy they're pretty much no longer playable. Against a single non-elite they can survive if I pay attention and don't make any mistakes. But against an elite or several non-elites I frequently have to stop fighting and go into frantic life-saving mode, which usually ends with me dying.

Working as intended.

You are not supposed to be able to take on elites, or groups on your own unless you know how to play your character well and have decent gear for the mobs you are fighting.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ferathyr View Post
    Working as intended.

You are not supposed to be able to take on elites, or groups on your own unless you know how to play your character well and have decent gear for the mobs you are fighting.
    Judging by last night, you can add below-level Signatures to the list of monsters it seems Turbine doesn't want us soloing without full-raid-gear...

I only came back to LoTRO a few weeks ago, after a very long break, and was enjoying working my way through Rohan with my Champ. While I agree it was probably too easy, pre-update, it's now swung *way* too far in the other direction.

The afore-mentioned Signature, three levels below me, was hitting me for 2.5-4k per special (I only have 11.5k at L95), and not even using food, hope, pots, man-heal and the HoT skill I can't remember the name of was enough to keep me alive. Looking at some minor improvements with virtues is not going to stop that from happening.

I like a challenge, sure, but not when fighting monsters as part of a normal landscape quest that I have to then kill more of in the same area - raids/instances should be challenging; random non-Elite monsters should be merely "tricky", at worst.

Will give it another go, at the weekend, but it's already feeling like it's time for another break from LoTRo until it's "fixed"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekremiah View Post
    The afore-mentioned Signature, three levels below me, was hitting me for 2.5-4k per special (I only have 11.5k at L95), and not even using food, hope, pots, man-heal and the HoT skill I can't remember the name of was enough to keep me alive. Looking at some minor improvements with virtues is not going to stop that from happening.
    There is a problem with your gear/virtues/... if you only have 11.5K at 95 as Champ (I have 23K in Blue, without stacking vitality/morale... and my Hunter has ~17K)
    And landscape mobs do nearly no damage on me, impossible to be killed...

Judging by last night, you can add below-level Signatures to the list of monsters it seems Turbine doesn't want us soloing without full-raid-gear...

I only came back to LoTRO a few weeks ago, after a very long break, and was enjoying working my way through Rohan with my Champ. While I agree it was probably too easy, pre-update, it's now swung *way* too far in the other direction.

I like a challenge, sure, but not when fighting monsters as part of a normal landscape quest that I have to then kill more of in the same area - raids/instances should be challenging; random non-Elite monsters should be merely "tricky", at worst.

Will give it another go, at the weekend, but it's already feeling like it's time for another break from LoTRo until it's "fixed"...

Strange how my lvl 62 minstrel only lost 600 our of her 3600 hitpoints fighting a level 61 sig.
    And this is just a leveling toon with no virtues what so ever....
    So far this seems like a hyped up issue tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman76 View Post
    Strange how my lvl 62 minstrel only lost 600 our of her 3600 hitpoints fighting a level 61 sig.
    And this is just a leveling toon with no virtues what so ever....
    So far this seems like a hyped up issue tbh.
    2nd attempt and the stun hit so he didn't even reach me

Really quick hint - if you're at level 95 either craft or get someone to craft you a set of the level 90 purple armor and jewelery (if you haven't yet..). It gives you a ton of your main stat, vitality and crit.

It should buff your morale up to a more acceptable level and give you a decent amount of your main stat and also crit.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    There is a problem with your gear/virtues/... if you only have 11.5K at 95 as Champ (I have 23K in Blue, without stacking vitality/morale... and my Hunter has ~17K)
    And landscape mobs do nearly no damage on me, impossible to be killed...
    I'm not disputing there is, I've been taking the occasional crafted gear but mostly going with purples from quests & loot-drops as I've yet to reach Helms Deep in the storyline, and I've never really concentrated much on virtues with this alt.

However, to go from having a fun/challenging close fight against a L92 Elite pre-update to getting slaughtered by a L92 Signature post-update, that suggests the "fix" has been too extreme.

Unfortunately, these days, I'd consider myself more of a casual player than I used to be in the past, so I'm never going to get full raid-gear, probably won't get any top-quality crafting gear unless it's possible to get all of the materials via normal mostly-solo play or skirmishes. Plus, with more limited play-time than I used to have when I was "younger", the last thing I want to do when I log in for a bit of LoTRO-fun is sit there killing 300 worms/crawlers in Trollshaws or similar, just for another 3 points of Might and some extra Physical Mitigation.

There must be one person at Turbine whos only job is to #### things up. And he is the only one there who can do his job properly.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast