We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Too squishy

On my RK the game is actually pretty much unplayable.
    ~ WhiteTalpa ~

Castor, champs are great, all hevys with atleast something on em, will live. Nice. Got that.

Now, there are other classes out there. Seems to be in somewhat trouble. Now, what advice can we give em?

Fast and cheap fix? Tankish cloak?

Ppl are gonna log in today, and try to play.

I think that they did a very good job balancing, at least for the LM, Guard and CAP classes. Mine have mostly teal gear (maybe a few levels below them) and middle virtues. Basically averagely equipped.

Below lvl 80, they are balanced correctly in my opinion. They can not pull over 5 regular on lvl mobs at once without dying, and they come close to it with 3, and have to use pots and food regularly. They can not take on more than 2 sigs at a time and do not stand a chance against an elite.

Above 80, it is still a vast improvement, if you add one mob to the numbers above, they die.

As for people who find the game to be too face roll as it is now, I have no idea about how you do it. I couldn't stand a chance doing a T1 3 man 5 lvls below mine, I couldn't get by the first group.

To please you guys, Turbine should improve the difficulty of t3 and t2 skirms and raids, and not mess with landscape and classes to much more.

As to people who find the game to hard now. I suggest you focus more on virtues that give mitigation and learn your class a little more using the wiki. You will get used to it over time. You were used to fighting weaker mobs, and now the difficulty has been taken up a notch. It is like lifting weights, you will get used to a heavier weight after you have been lifting them for a few weeks.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    Mine have mostly teal gear (maybe a few levels below them) and middle virtues. Basically averagely equipped.
    Um - if you call that average equipped, then what's high end gear for you? Maybe it differs at endlevel, but on my way up there my characters usually wear purple items or even yellow ones. Drops and quest rewards... That's average, not teal gear.
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    Um - if you call that average equipped, then what's high end gear for you? Maybe it differs at endlevel, but on my way up there my characters usually wear purple items or even yellow ones. Drops and quest rewards... That's average, not teal gear.
    That pretty much summons up average leveling gear indeed.
    What ever you get along the way and swap out when I stumble over something better

Dern - been here since Beta. L2P is not really a helpful answer.

It was never this bad to solo before, and the adjustment hit all the wrong people. HC players wanted more challenge, not the storyline questers. This change hit landscape mobs, not instance ones (from what I hear) basically making very few people happy.

You shouldn't need teal gear to run a quest. You should be able to use the gear provided from quests (although that's pretty scarce these days). You shouldn't have to grind out legacies and traits just to be able to quest.

I also should not have to totally retrait out of my yellow line to a tanking line to be able to survive - but I guess that's what I'll be tinkering with next.

Frankly if I cannot find a way to proceed without having to facegrind to Hytbolt levels again, I'll go back to D3, which doesn't pretend to be anything other than a grindfest.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000eb50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    As for people who find the game to be too face roll as it is now, I have no idea about how you do it. I couldn't stand a chance doing a T1 3 man 5 lvls below mine, I couldn't get by the first group.
    It is still faceroll mainly lvl 95 characters, at least for heavy classes.
    Phys Mit 70% => 60% is not really noticeable.

I do think we need more data points.

"My X is unplayable" is not a data point. Specifics in terms of equipment, virtues, augmentation (e.g., scrolls, food, tokens) are important, as are traits., level, and what one was fighting.

I ran the Tuckborough skirmish Tier III with my Level 30 Runekeeper. Failed miserably on the first attempt. Did better on the second. Won on the third. Most of the difference was due to changing my focus during the skirmish - paying attention to my allies (skirmish soldier and Bounders) who fell much more quickly than before.

Not relevant to fighting landscape mobs.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Apr 15 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Soloing t3-s is mot really an issue here. The guard, champ cappy and warden have special traits and skills designed to keep em alive for a while without healer and under hevy fire. They dont last forever and they dont protect against skirm liutenants specisal attacks. Lets not argue about it until i see a vid of t3 skirm full run looting chest in way of smitjs, 21st hall with vengeance and frog. You can use dpecisl gear,anf trsits and have to choose your fights. Even then, yhere will be superpots, 10% inc dam reduce scrolls, 5% outgoing damage scrills, ususl scrolls, alot of it. Not the things you use on landscape mob. Most important, you need to choose rigjt fight. So until video about 21st hall solo, lets berry it.

Its not the topic.

Topic is, it over the top in middle levels and what to do there. Traiting, skill tree, tactics, gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    I do think we need more data points.

"My X is unplayable" is not a data point. Specifics in terms of equipment, virtues, augmentation (e.g., scrolls, food, tokens) are important, as are traits., level, and what one was fighting.
    Indeed.
    This is just a mix between "It's to hard QQQQQ" and "It's still to easy QQQQ".
    Gonna test out my low 60s minstrel tonight, if I still one shot anything not grey then it's not to hard....

In the old days on my hunter I used to have to put down traps so I could survive multiple mobs without kiting around.
    That wasn't really a bad thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Humbabumba View Post

Topic is, it over the top in middle levels and what to do there. Traiting, skill tree, tactics, gear.
    Didn't they boost the mid range mobs last patch? 12.??
    Maybe the only issue is in that level range and if it is that change could possible be worth looking at reverting.

Signed

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I have a level 93 captain with all purple gear from running Sammy and other instances. I have been playing since November of 2011 and VIP since July 2012. I am currently grinding in the Stonedean and before the update I had no problems competing quests. However after the update I have a hard time taking on 2 or more mobs especially on my warsteed. My build is a DPS captain and my traits are for might and virtue and are hovering around 8 or 9 each. A lot of the hardcores would probably look at that and say "well there's your problem - Captains are not a DPS class and you need to improve your traits." Well I don't want to. I have already maxed out a Guard, Champ, and RK with all virtues at 18 and I really didn't want to do the grind again for my Cappy until I really felt I wanted to do end game hardcore stuff. So for now I am not really pleased with the mitigation nerf. I love the mail change, the message check boxes, being able to do the daily rep quests at any level, and many other changes. However, where most of your game time is spent fighting mobs making it difficult is a deal breaker for me. Perhaps a hardcore server would have better suited those crying to make the game harder but this is not the answer. /signed.

This almost makes me want to try the update to see if I should start playing again. I loved this game when I first started playing. I actually had to think about fights and couldn't just run in. I remember my hunter having trouble in the spider caves in the human starting region. I remember having to actually play and try hard to get my first to on to 20 without a death. I could only take on more than two common mobs after getting really good with my hunter and making use of all of his skills. Granted we dont have all of those skills to choose from anymore.The easy mode that the game became made me lose interest and stop playing. There was only story left. Game play didn't matter anymore as it was a thoughtless grind.

Low level RK reporting in. The rise in difficulty is noticeable, but nothing too drastic FOR ME. I kill 3+ landscape mobs just fine with little effort. Killed 2 lvl 35 Elite Spiders at level 36. They had 6,5k health. Soloing those spiders wasn't anything too hard, didn't have to use any bubbles/heals/pots. For 2 spiders had to use a bubble a few times and be more tactical. So for me the difficulty of the game definitely isn't too hard. I'd be happy even if it was a bit more harder, but I like how it's currently a lot more compared to before the update.

Might be different for other classes, but levelling with a RK went fine. I can imagine some classes that might have more hard times though, so I get the concerns. Just wanted to tell my side.

Here's my stats, gear, traits etc. http://imgur.com/a/WzD4f Note: Had the exact same gear and traits at level 36, except there's 1 more class point used at the screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    Some geniuses were screaming about "easy modes", "facerolls" and alike. Like "me is big player me solo anything barehanded and 'tis a faceroll, plz make hard mode".

What screamers wanted - they have got. A small part of community that screamed loud got hard mode. Got every class squishy. Same small part would be active now telling how good things are when they are not.

I think Turbine should understand difference between making all classes squishy - and making so much praised "challenge".

Making all classes squishy --> lots of unhappy players -->probably less profit.
    Making optinal instances (not required in epic line) harder -->more interest for players -->probably more raiders returning -->possibly more profit/more game population.

I guess no one would ever object if some optional instance/raid is made harder so that player thinks twice before starting. That rewards for those who survive would be good too. And that monsters in a hard instance could even adapt to battle style. But what can be objected - is making characaters stripped off vital statuses and making them squishy.

Turbine, please harden instances if screamers want so...but please, return player statuses to how they used to be before Update 13.

For lvl.50 player? Only one advice: get your main toon to grind thousands of task items. Pass them to level 50 toon. Turn in task items. Do lots of crafting, no matter what and why (main toon should support with materials). And when quests are absolutely safe - do them. That's the only logic outcome in these days.

NaktiesKarys, I completely agree with you and am saddened by the responses from players who complain that poor quality players are the real problem. LOTRO exists to make a profit and that's not going to happen if they pander only to lv95 "leets". And by the way, lol, your advice is pretty much exactly what I was planning to do while waiting for combat to get better. It's been a while since I worked on crafting or reputation so at least I can enjoy that for a bit. :-) Thank you for sharing my concerns. I feel better knowing there are others who see things as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by elfincat View Post
    NaktiesKarys, I completely agree with you and am saddened by the responses from players who complain that poor quality players are the real problem. LOTRO exists to make a profit and that's not going to happen if they pander only to lv95 "leets". And by the way, lol, your advice is pretty much exactly what I was planning to do while waiting for combat to get better. It's been a while since I worked on crafting or reputation so at least I can enjoy that for a bit. :-) Thank you for sharing my concerns. I feel better knowing there are others who see things as I do.
    My apologies, but if they were pandering to lvl 95 'leets' as you say.. then we'd have multi room/multi boss raid content and instances instead of multiple mailings from the forests and streams. They've done exactly the opposite and driven away the 'leet' crowds and pandered to the soloist instead.
    Founding Member of the Vocal Minority....

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    The thing is, characters are only slightly squishier than they were. Now they just require defensive virtue traits to be slotted if they want to go back to facerolling. So I don't really understand this complaint - other than someone not having virtue traits and not wanting to grind/buy them.
    What exactly are the "defensive virtue traits" of which you speak lol. List them and I will give it a try. If it produces the desired result that would be worth it.

What exactly are the "defensive virtue traits" of which you speak lol. List them and I will give it a try. If it produces the desired result that would be worth it.
    Defensive virtues are traits that provide you with mitigations.
    Founding Member of the Vocal Minority....

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

If you are challenged? well its about time!! The game was so so so so easy, if u cant, well its your thing, cuz you need to relearn how to fight and timming, that's why fellowships were needed. And still it isn't tough
    Brandywine/Elendilmir

Well, ran my 92 RK (crafted purp gear) last night, and my 24 LM (quest drop gear) today. I actually had to plan attacks with the RK. Had to be careful not to pull too much, had a blast. Curiously, I didn't really have to alter my LM much at all. I thought my lower characters would have a harder time of it. My concern is that there are some instances that are supposed to be solo that I had a hard enough time before. How bad are they going to be now? I guess I'll find out. All in all, I'm enjoying the challenge. I'll pop in later after testing out the others. (gods there's a lot of them!)

I'll have to try this out a little further. Level 68 hunter, 60 LM.
    Yesterday I was 4 levels below in Dunland. I was able to defeat 1 mob at a time
    though it was a close battle each time. 2 would have wiped me in seconds.
    This was after the main patch, but have things gotten harder again today? Or same as yesterday?

Again I'll give it a good test tomorrow. May go back to on level or 1 or 2 below quests.

Innocence, Compassion, Charity, Tolerance, Patience These are the ones off the top of my head. The have Phys and Tac (usually both) mitigations. They used to be not high enough to really help, but U13 upped them pretty nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbabumba View Post
    Okey. We are where.. nowhere.

If there is issue with midlevels being too squishy:
    Lets post like this:
    - what level toon,
    - how much trait points, skill tree,
    - what virtues are slotted, what level, giving how much resist, block, parry, evade, crit mastery and physical and tactical mitigations
    - gear, foods buffs used,
    - what area there is problems, survivability, can or cant do quest,
    - enemy composition, mobs, elites, rare elites.

As of remider, rare elites or signatures are suppouse to be taken on only in raid or fellow. They are expected to oneshoot all but hevys. And only good hevy walks away.

By providing this info, there will be base for adjustments if needed. Something to work with.

Lets keep lvl95 raid/soloing stuff out, as its not of an issue, stated by original poster.
    So focus on midlevels, light/medium. If there is isue, my guess is its there.
    Thank you for your considerate and thoughtful posts Humbabumba, I appreciate you trying to help and I will do just that in a few minutes after I log in and check it all, then maybe someone can direct me to those areas my toon needs to improve to be fun again. This update is really hard on the casual gamer who doesn't want to take a college level course in lotro game mechanics.

You mean the game has difficulty now? Yippy, Reason to log now
    Erowens, 95 - Elf - Hunter
    Rollof, 50 - Man - Champion
    Eraw, 25 - Man - Guardian
    Edhelrieth, 20 - Elf - Loremaster

Quote Originally Posted by sakisman View Post
    You mean the game has difficulty now? Yippy, Reason to log now
    What he said! LETS GET KILLED! YAAY!
    Officer of the Iluvatarian Knights: [url]http://iluvatarorder.forumcircle.com/portal.php[/url] ... on LAURELIN!

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast