We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Crissaegrim is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Guardian of Lothlórien

Male Elf new stance is awful

Hunched, looks remarkably like they were punched in the junk.

Abrupt change from the new stance whenever the "look around" animation kicks in. Jarring.

Walking now has the thighs actually clipping through each other with every stride.

Find the one responsible and deal with it accordingly.

Mine doesn't look hunched over, and more importantly doesn't look hipshot with one shoulder in the West and one shoulder in Mordor. I would have made more male elves had they started with this stance.

However, I do agree the idle animation is abrupt and makes him look startled. Needs some work, along with the rest of the movement animations that are having issues (female hobbit walking, etc).
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 113 WDN :.: Daire, 85 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 93 CHN :.: Brandon, 75 CPT :.: Honey, 72 GRD :.: Griffon, 70 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 73 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 58 WDN :.: Baye, 61 WDN :.: Samtal, 65 WDN :.:Dunnock, 57 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 69 LMR :.: Breyon, 45 CHN :.: Totes, 113 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Crissaegrim View Post
    Male Elf new stance is awful
    ^I concur. I didn't think this actually had a chance of making out of BR. Please revert.

I love it and think it's far overdue. It's true the transition between normal stance and the "looking around" animation needs a bit of work, but overall much more natural and elegant looking than before. Much appreciated.

Guardian of Lothlórien
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    I would have made more male elves had they started with this stance.
    I appreciate your opinion. I, however, would never have made a single elf had they started like this, and ALL my characters were elves at the start. Mileage varies.

I think the male elves look much better now above the waist, but am not pleased that all my male elves now seem to have very skinny waists and their legs look thin, making them look a little out of proportion. I do NOT want the bowed chest shape back but would like them not to be so thin from the waist down.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000002357de/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I love it and think it's far overdue. It's true the transition between normal stance and the "looking around" animation needs a bit of work, but overall much more natural and elegant looking than before. Much appreciated.
    I agree. Male elf looks wonderful now excpet for that little transition bit IMHO. I purposely only have one male elf because I thought they were always animated way too clumsily to look "Elven".
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Crissaegrim View Post
    Hunched, looks remarkably like they were punched in the junk.

Abrupt change from the new stance whenever the "look around" animation kicks in. Jarring.

Walking now has the thighs actually clipping through each other with every stride.

Find the one responsible and deal with it accordingly.

I disagree. Male Elves looked much too "female" before...I disliked it a lot and always thought it was as if Elrond would walk around like Arwen... Now it looks kind of normal for me, so I am happy they did change it.

Thumbs down

Regional revamps look great.

Male elves though? They now look either too tense or else constipated. Both maybe.
    They hold their arms in too close to their bodies and have lost a bit of their flair.
    They look bland.
    They look like skinny rockem sockem robots. Who naturally holds their arms to their sides like this?
    Their arms look disfigured or short.
    I can understand the narrowing of the shoulders a little, but male elves at least now appear too thin and way too androgynous.
    Incidentally, these elves now look more like those in Dungeons and Dragons Online.

It doesn't really matter whether anyone likes it or not though.
    The question is does it work? Does it work better? Unfortunately, I don't see how it does.
    Too much is too much.
    Anyway, it might have been a bad decision at this time. A few new optional hairstyles would have sufficed.

And I am not criticizing the artist by the way.
    If I seem upset its only because maybe I have an emotional attachment to my characters due to staring at them for countless hours on end.
    Please don't take it personally.
    I know its just a game, I just enjoy it slightly less now.
    Last edited by Breeon; Apr 15 2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: formatting

Absolutely hate it. I was happy with them as they were. I wish there was a way to choose between stances, or to have the old stance as an emote or something, but it is what it is. I am glad that other people are happy with it, though.

Love the new stance for my male elf. Needs some fine tuning on the animations indeed, but I really appreciate the straight legs and a slightly more normal arm posture. It's not perfect, but certainly much better. Very happy!

A little less happy with my human females though. Never thought there was anything wrong with their posture, they were always the most normal looking of all my characters. Unfortunately she's holding her arms in a forward position now, which strikes me as a bit contrived. I guess this is the result of a more straightened back. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it.

I checked my dwarves after some "balloon" reports, but mine all look fine. I think their body shape changes according to the cosmetic that is being used. Robes (like the Viisaus) seem to give them huge behinds.
    COSMETIC LOTRO

a blog about Middle-earth outfits

Quote Originally Posted by darksharp1 View Post
    I think the male elves look much better now above the waist, but am not pleased that all my male elves now seem to have very skinny waists and their legs look thin, making them look a little out of proportion. I do NOT want the bowed chest shape back but would like them not to be so thin from the waist down.
    Their waist size has not changed at all. They have always had extremely tiny hips in relation to their broad shoulders. I've played around with finding the right "hip broadening" cosmetics for years. Here's a link to a blog post from 2012 where I address exactly that issue: https://cosmeticlotro.wordpress.com/...02/camouflage/

Waist-widening adjustments have not been part of this make-over.
    COSMETIC LOTRO

a blog about Middle-earth outfits

The waist size has changed and become slightly wider/straighter which makes me unhappy because it makes them look thicker and more "manly" even though I placed the slider as far left as possible because I wanted slender and elegant non-fighter elves. All my elves look much more human now
    The waist being wider/straighter, makes the whole torso less slender and more thick, and the hips look even straighter. It looks like the lower back goes out more too which adds to the thickness.

Arms look tense and uncomfortable.

I liked how it used to be. People like me could make beautiful elves by setting the slider furthest to the left, and those who prefer "manly" fighter types could choose a place on the slider further to the right.
    This reminds me of when another game made a new type of elves with men that looked kind of beautiful but people hated that they didn't look like the manliest of men so they were changed, leaving people like me having no option to make different character types.

It's not like it's a strange thing to want either. I was born with a slender body, and soft lines and not square. I don't mind looking like that, and I'd be surprised if the way I look was actually hurting strangers that happened to see me. So please give me back the personality of my elves! It's no fun at all to watch them run around while playing anymore.

There's hardly any difference at all on the waist between the two slider extremes. Both have thick waists. Slider mostly just adds muscles elsewhere.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Could someone upload a picture of the new stance (and maybe put it next to the old stance)? I do not have the game installed right now x.x
    Truth and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    The waist size has changed and become slightly wider/straighter which makes me unhappy because it makes them look thicker and more "manly" even though I placed the slider as far left as possible because I wanted slender and elegant non-fighter elves.
    I liked how it used to be. People like me could make beautiful elves by setting the slider furthest to the left, and those who prefer "manly" fighter types could choose a place on the slider further to the right.
    ^Exactly my problem too! If I wanted strong beefy characters I would have made them that way. I wish they could slim down the waists (or better yet, just revert it back to the old models)

Guardian of Lothlórien
    Apparently my new stance is putting stress on my face, as well...

Seven years I've had my avatar. I would not have chosen this avatar if it was an eye-popping ball-cupper in the first place.

Change it back.

My male elf toon now looks much much thinner. I was surprised to learn of another player's toon that looks much wider.. fatter even.
    It's too bad that when this change was implemented we weren't offered a feature that would let us to choose our body type all over again as when initially creating characters.
    It would have given us a better idea of the alteration's overall effect and some measure of say in the matter.

Why don't you (our friends at Turbine) just make their bodies look like the male humans? End of problem. (Keep the facial differences, obviously.)

[ @Chrissaegrim: I see I'm not the only elf *still* wearing the LM head-gear from the Rift !! ]

September 2012:

April 2014:

The first looks natural and relaxed. The second look unnatural and tense.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I agree, it's far more natural look as far as i'm concerned. I agree with an earlier poster too, that I too would have more male elves if this had been the stance all along.

I do hope they're looking into the idle animation, and the continual hitch/stutter step in the run animation that appears to have inflicted itself on all races now. Seriously folks, that's been an issue for several updates now, and it needs to get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Breeon View Post
    September 2012:

April 2014:

The first looks natural and relaxed. The second look unnatural and tense.
    All I can say is, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I think the first stance (original) looks un-natural and haughty. I've never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenara View Post
    All I can say is, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I think the first stance (original) looks un-natural and haughty. I've never liked it.
    Perhaps, but eves are supposed to be better. And smarter. They're elves. So.. this was to dumb them down then?

Elves are supposed to be noble and regal, and perhaps a little stuck up. The old pose perfectly captured that.

The old male elven stance never bothered me, even though there were many complaints about it. I too think it captured the "grace" of the elven race well before.

I'm a little bummed out about the spine curvature adjustment to hobbit females (Haven't payed attention to the male ones as of yet). There was nothing wrong with them to begin with. They're a little too "straight" now when looking from the side (You can notice the difference compared to when they're on a war-steed for example).
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Elves are supposed to be noble and regal, and perhaps a little stuck up. The old pose perfectly captured that.
    Couldn't agree more, elves are supposed to be a little pompous! Even in the game it points out "the hubris of the Elves", the new stance doesn't capture that hauteur at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast