We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    I agree, Goblin Town should have been made soloable. It is a very iconic place and the greatest number of people should be able to access it. Anyways, Goblin Town has never been a large group hub. There might have been an odd group now and again but it was still pretty empty, even in the RoM days.

Players who previously were unable to find groups or had to level up a little bit and come back can now run a really fun area of the game.

A

And I'll amend my earlier comment to add that I don't want to see huge numbers of group areas turned into solo content. I'm perfectly fine with Angmar staying as it is, not to mention the Field of Fornost or Dol Dinen. But Goblin Town would certainly benefit from attracting the casual or solo player that might have skipped it before.
    "I've always found the idea of death comforting. The thought that my life could end at any moment frees me to fully appreciate the beauty and art and horror of everything this world has to offer."

Quote Originally Posted by swengle View Post
    This game that I used to love so much is no longer for me.
    I've been here for 7 years (plus a little more) and I think that I enjoy the game nearly as much now as I did in the beginning. Budgeford, I'm playing through the Trollshaws revamp, you've done a good enough job at this that I now see it as a viable levelling alternative. I used to avoid TS except the grab the Tal Bruinen armour in my Mid-30s, but I'm actually enjoying the changes you've made. Don't mind the naysayers, they don't speak for all of us and to be blunt - keep doing what you're doing, the first half of the game SHOULD be soloable as there are fewer and fewer players in those areas to form groups in.

I'm not going anywhere until well after the Ring's in Mount Doom, and we've had a chance to explore Rhun

I just did North Downs and I want to thank those who remade it. I really liked Trestlebridge, southern Fornost and the quests around farms. The story behind is more visible now and it draw my attention completely. Im glad also I didn't have to grind reputation there, the repeating quests are just an alternative and I can just simply enjoy the story. I don't understand why the new content, which is meant for cap lvl, cannot be made the same way. It seems really unfinished.

North Trollshaws

I've been enjoying the new Trollshaws. One perplexing area is North Trollshaws.

As I roll into North Trollshaws, the level 35 mobs appear green (comparable difficulty) to me, but pack a wallop. I now notice these are mostly elite mobs with 5-6x times the morale and power compared to a normal level 35 mob.

I tried a few solo fights. I was surprised that the XP for a Level 35 elite mob is nearly the same as a level 35 normal mob. Thus XP per time spent here is poor.

Am I missing something? Is this working as intended or is there a special reward other than XP that I am not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by thaals View Post
    I've been enjoying the new Trollshaws. One perplexing area is North Trollshaws.

As I roll into North Trollshaws, the level 35 mobs appear green (comparable difficulty) to me, but pack a wallop. I now notice these are mostly elite mobs with 5-6x times the morale and power compared to a normal level 35 mob.

I tried a few solo fights. I was surprised that the XP for a Level 35 elite mob is nearly the same as a level 35 normal mob. Thus XP per time spent here is poor.

Am I missing something? Is this working as intended or is there a special reward other than XP that I am not aware of?
    It is a group recommended area. Thus, it is working as intended.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

I don't like the repeatable quest rings floating over everythings' head in the South Trollshaws. Did those quests once, and now they sort of mock me. I would much rather they (the repeatable version) be bestowed by an NPC, Barachen maybe.

What I really don't like is a couple fellowship quests that have little lead-in quests that you can not get away off your screen or log. Those lead-ins don't tell you that you are about to run into a quest you can't rid yourself of. That is, you have to either accept it or it sits in your Quest Actions bar. You can't decline it, because it instantly reappears in the quest action bar. If you accept and cancel it, it again reappears instantly in your quest action bar. So far, I've run into Their Own Weapons and Thunder in the Mountains. I plan on waiting until the mobs are grey to do these quests, rather than beg the help of my kin mates. I have that option, which not all players do. I talked with a +GM and apparently it's a 'feature.' Well, not well done. Quests should not insist they be done just because you did the little find somewhere quest prelude. Swear words. Ugh.
    Bruuwnor, Dwarf Champion of Arkenstone, Pipeweed and Ale

Quote Originally Posted by MathKnight View Post
    I don't like the repeatable quest rings floating over everythings' head in the South Trollshaws. Did those quests once, and now they sort of mock me. I would much rather they (the repeatable version) be bestowed by an NPC, Barachen maybe.
    /signed
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubousensei View Post
    Angmar has already had an update, chances are they'll skip it. Same for Evendim. The oldest region in game that has never had a revamp is in fact... Forochel.
    Actually, it's the Shire.

Not that it needs one. But there have been virtually no changes here, except for the addition of reputation items as rewards of some quests.

Anyone else feel like the North Downs still lack some swift-travelling routes? Esteldin-Trestlebridge and Esteldin-Aughaire come to mind.
    Déorwyn, Rank 12 Captain
    Lotro-Wiki: Tharondir

Quote Originally Posted by Deorwyn View Post
    Actually, it's the Shire.

Not that it needs one. But there have been virtually no changes here, except for the addition of reputation items as rewards of some quests.

Anyone else feel like the North Downs still lack some swift-travelling routes? Esteldin-Trestlebridge and Esteldin-Aughaire come to mind.
    Yes. This was discussed some in the Beta. Here is one such thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...pdated-regions.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).

The Trollshaws are so much more fluent and enjoyable now. Love everything about it. The new campsites and npc's, the flow of repeatable quests, the ease with which to earn reputation now. The new stable points. You're really utilizing this part of the map now. Great job Lotro.

I had done most of ND prior to U13 on my newest character, so really can't comment too much except for the quests involving the Drakes. I was disappointed to find that the Drake Matron only has one Young Drake along side her instead of two, that she was easy to kill at level 35 and that Papa Drake doesn't appear immediately after killing the Matron anymore.

I enjoyed Trollshaws more except for:

We now have too many Stable masters. I believe only one extra was needed perhaps North Trollshaws. Nan Tornaeth is practically on the doorstep of Thorenhad and not hard to get to at all.

The repeatable quests should be bestowed by NPC's. I don't like the quest rings floating over everything.

I was able to complete all quests for Deeds in the Wilderness (total 30) before I was ready to leave Thorenhad and move to Nan Tornaeth, didn't do any in North Trollshaws and none in Echad Candelleth. Perhaps that needs to be revisited and increased.

Misty Mountains I have not touched yet, but will be interesting to see how it plays.

I really do not like the fact that LoTRO has gone solo play for the most part, so, I am glad I have the opportunity to do group content, it makes everything so much more enjoyable.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    "Goblin Town is now completely solo-able, although it will still likely be difficult for most players. This is a great space, full of interesting lore, so it will be nice for solo players to have deeper access to this enormous dungeon."

My reaction to this was totally unprintable.

Can there be no group content in thus game? Is that the new rule? There is MORE THAN ENOUGH content to get a solo player to level cap on multiple routes. WHY take more and more away from the group player?

And if it because you have no group players, there should be no mystery as to why that is the case.
    If you don't want to solo-play, don't. Why ruin it for the rest of us? Why should there be areas of the game solo players can never enjoy? I applaud Turbine for going the extra step to make more areas accessible to everyone. And, as an FYI, not all players game just so they can level cap. My friends and I play to explore and enjoy new experiences. Leveling is simply a means to that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmira View Post
    If you don't want to solo-play, don't. Why ruin it for the rest of us? Why should there be areas of the game solo players can never enjoy? I applaud Turbine for going the extra step to make more areas accessible to everyone. And, as an FYI, not all players game just so they can level cap. My friends and I play to explore and enjoy new experiences. Leveling is simply a means to that end.
    So true!
    After taking a break from the game for quite a while, I started playing again before Thanksgiving and my only freep char is only lvl 55!
    My elf has run through all of Erid Luin, The Shire, Bree, Evendim, Forochel, The North Downs, The Trollshaws, The Misty Mountains, and the first half of Angmar.

I am glad that solo players can now enjoy that far off, lore filled corner of the Misty Mountains.

I would also like to point out that as I was running through Goblin Town before U13, there was no one there. Not one person. Afterwards I saw 4.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

I would also like to point out that as I was running through Goblin Town before U13, there was no one there. Not one person. Afterwards I saw 4.
    I've been seeing more and more people in the lower levels a lot recently. Some grouped, but most seemed to be solo. And not just in the hubs. Out in the middle of nowhere questing.

I'm taking a new cappy through ND and I have to say I quite like the changes out of Treslebridge. Also Mad Colbert's questline into Fornost. I haven't made it to Esteldin yet, so we'll see. So far, though, very well done.

ON TOPIC I was surprised to see so few bugs, super smooth for the most part. I ran much of Trollshaws and a bit into MM. Goblin town in this version doesn't appeal to me at all but then it never did. It's fun running for rep clickies when severely overlevel: with mobs white/yellow it was just extremely slow and dull for miniscule reward in xp for your time. As opposed to some of the reactions in this thread, to me it seemed rather very hard to solo, when each mob you encounter will apply at least one debuff and never misses.
    Not checked ND but any change is for the better! I plan to look at that area next and see what it's like purely in quest gear and with what the character can afford by way of buffs from AH or other sources (it will obviously be an explorer F elf or hobbit hunter, the generic choice for so many, haha!).

Podgie, please give some positive feedback instead of going into each and every thread and say Turbine sucks.
    I blame these few shouty and angry gamers, in part, for making the midlevels an uphill struggle instead of fun in the current game version. They have best gear and are angry or surprised that the game seems easy for them. It is not something you can ever be able to argue with. They seem to spend hours daily to abuse and scream on forums - there is no winning that, until every comment of 'fanboi' or 'faceroll' means a user is instantly muted for a week. It is solely flame-bait to make you angry and to give the 'casual' forum users infractions. Yes, these are the fabled 'elite' users. Beware. It is built into their behaviour to react so strongly to one soloable area being made a little bit more solo-friendly. They can't help it. That giant halls remains and also north 'shaws is nothing they will ever comment on - and also nothing they themselves are likely to have set foot in past 3-4 years. Try to move on!

The questing is pretty smooth and to be honest I never had problems in Trollshaws even before. The area really appeals to me, specially Tal Bruinen. There are a few things that I thought were weird and should mention.

1. The trolls, why were they made normals? I think signature would've been ok. Trolls being normals just doesn't make sense.

2. Indor, a hunter at Echad Candelleth used to follow a dwarf's recipe to make some disgusting food. The new quest doesn't mention the dwarf at all and is less fun in my opinion. Another quest that was changed was the one to find a perfect feather as a gift for an elf maid, didn't really like the new replacement quest.

3. I have no idea how Ferndur escaped past Glorfindel, I dont think Glorfindel did either so that escape was totally unbleiveable . 'Behind you a balrog' might work.

4. Also as others said too many quest rings on animals. An option to separately turn off repeatable quest markers would be nice.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    The questing is pretty smooth and to be honest I never had problems in Trollshaws even before. The area really appeals to me, specially Tal Bruinen. There are a few things that I thought were weird and should mention.

1. The trolls, why were they made normals? I think signature would've been ok. Trolls being normals just doesn't make sense.

2. Indor, a hunter at Echad Candelleth used to follow a dwarf's recipe to make some disgusting food. The new quest doesn't mention the dwarf at all and is less fun in my opinion. Another quest that was changed was the one to find a perfect feather as a gift for an elf maid, didn't really like the new replacement quest.

3. I have no idea how Ferndur escaped past Glorfindel, I dont think Glorfindel did either so that escape was totally unbleiveable . 'Behind you a balrog' might work.

4. Also as others said too many quest rings on animals. An option to separately turn off repeatable quest markers would be nice.
    There is a new back-story to the Trolls. Most of them are still Signature or stronger.

Well, I can't really argue with you; but I find them different enough to still be enjoyable. I miss going to visit Bert & Tom & William followed by a trip to Rivendell for the Fisherman's wife & child story.

I rather liked that twist and really liked getting more story about Ferndur and the Lost Temple.

For me, the only place where I'd would not mind having the rings go away would be the first set of dailies near the Last Bridge. There, it makes perfect sense to use Rochwen to bestow the dailies. She has a quest about the wildlife that you get the first time through anyway (characters who have never done the Trollshaws will have this quest open to them). Elsewhere, wandering about and finding quests, whether remotely bestowed or from camp NPCs works for me.

To me, the Misty Mountains were the least touched and the Trollshaws redone the most, with the North Downs in between.

I also found Goblin Town to be solo-able but tough to do down in the depths once you get past the prisoners.

Just ran through the revamped areas on my high level guy to see what new stuff was added...

North Downs. Some good changes here. When I got to Nan Wathren, I found that they - and I can scarcely believe I'm typing this - ADDED landscape group quests. I was amazed. It's quite a fun area, nice to see it expanded. I'm a bit sad they cut out some other group stuff like the dwarf falconers and such, but we have two solid group areas in Nan Wathren and Dol Dinen, which is more than I expected. The added solo quests are interesting too. B+

Trollshaws. Less interesting. Let's add a repeatable slayer to every mob in the zone (except worms, which are curiously immune) and call it good. Meh. I did like that Gladdalf was incorporated into the North Trollshaws group quest area. The new Ferndur quest arc was short but fun, with a nice instance at the end. It could've used a nice gear reward though. The extra swift travels are handy, and the reduction in level ranges for the zone makes it playable straight through. Don't know why some trolls are normal now though... trolls should always be signature or more IMHO. A little disappointed that nothing was done with the trolls in Giant Valley too. B-

Misties. Apparently this is where the budget/time ran out. Just a couple new breadcrumb quests and a couple quest hubs. Level range condensed again, which is nice. Many of the goblins in Goblin Town got reduced to swarm, which seems excessively nerfed to me. I was vaguely hoping the Throne Room would become just part of the landscape since it's quite a small instance, but oh well. I still think it should be a 3 man instance instead of 6 since I know I beat it with 3 people on level several years ago without much trouble... 6 is overkill. But again, oh well. In short, nothing really new to see here. C

Overall I was happy with the new stuff. Glad that landscape grouping wasn't completely removed. I hope to try running through the zones on-level in the next while to get a better feel for it. Thanks Turbine for your hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Agreed, I'm fed up of dying of boredom in this game. Hell I played Facebook games with my grandchildren that has more challenging content than Lotro since they "improved" it. My grandchildren used to play lotro with us, but even at ages 10 & 12 they find lotro too easy to keep their attention anymore!
    Then maybe it's time you move on to something that gives you joy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    Any bets on when they make Angmar 100 percent face roll?
    All subjective...

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Misties. Apparently this is where the budget/time ran out. Just a couple new breadcrumb quests and a couple quest hubs. Level range condensed again, which is nice. Many of the goblins in Goblin Town got reduced to swarm, which seems excessively nerfed to me.
    I'm guessing that is because they already did one pass on the Misties before, when they added High Pass and Goblin Town.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I ran through the new quest instance for Fendur this weekend. It was a short but fun one that definitely adds to the game. The storyine before was a cliffhanger like the one at Barachens Camp (I want to know why a cave claw attacked the dwarves!).

The only negative that I saw with it is that it was gated behind those to quest chains in Rivendell. Those are extremely casual lines and gating a big showdown behind them will surely displease people who do not like that type of stuff.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

I would let them be signature too.

Im sorry to hear this - those 2 quests were my favourites and I did them with almost all of my alts

I had to go through the newly revamped areas to catch up on deeds there. After three years of running across maps because of defeat, and because I didn't want to spend a lot of time deeding, the kinder and gentler aspect was welcome. The added swift travel, auto-bestow quests that don't require running back and forth between quest-givers, and quests bestowed/completed upon defeating certain mobs, was also welcome for the same reasons. Middle Earth is huge and takes a lot of time to traverse on foot (or even horse) at the speeds of travel available, and that takes away from time that could be spent in actual game playing... I think new players will appreciate this as well and even more so once the balancing is complete. I hope similar efforts are eventually applied to (or continued with) epic quests to reduce the time spent just getting to the story elements...

Keeping the more difficult content limited to well-defined and optional areas like in the Trollshaws' Minas Agor, Giant Valley, Trapdoor Lair, etc, makes a lot more sense (IMHO) than threatening players at every turn with the penalty of having to run across the map from their re-spawn point again. Thank you!

Love the new repeatable quests! Haven't even tried the new instance yet -- didn't know there was one until I read the notes.

Overall, I see no downside to any of the improvements and lots of upside.

RE Misty Mountains
    Had the Fire and Ice quest (marked raid) in my quest log. Went on RK to the entrance to poke my nose in and discovered it is actually a fellowship quest with inspiration if you solo. (Not sure when that happened-it may been quite a while ago.)

Helegrod treasury with inspiration is now landscape difficulty-there is one pull at the last obeslisk where there are 3 groups of three/four mobs (Angmarrim High Prietesses plus Angmar archers plus a couple of corrupted spirits) but each wave is separate. No cc was required on the other groups while you fight the first one. My morale bar hardly moved with the inspiration buff. The green level angmarrim webspinners/high priestesses mobs in annuminas were much more challenging to the RK when she was finishing the class quest-line there. The whole thing took about ten minutes. So this quest is very accessable now to all casual/soloers/relaxed players.

Unfortunately it therefore isn't very exciting. It used to be one of my favourite scary encounters -so the ease spoils the story for me somewhat. (Also, the itemisation isn't great compared to what I had from other less iconic quest drops. ) Personally, I'd like the inspiration buff to be a bit less 'inspirational' but I'm sure others prefer guaranteed success first attempt.

Goblin town has gone from just about soloable on level if you knew where to go, to landscape difficulty as well. Many Goblin groups are now swarms, the boggart swarms have lost their special skills, (poison doesn't seem to stack-no stuns) and you can avoid aggroing the clusters if you choose. Once again, very accessable and straightforward-except for getting lost

The rest of the area seems to have had the usual aggro range reduction and mobs further spaced out 'pass'. You can go through Whitcleft without aggroing the bear or the crebain, for example. Giant's morale in Giants Valley has been reduced. There are also a couple of new auto bestow quests that lead you to the bitter stair and Hele.

I prefer Forochel, and even Angmar, now. But Misties is definitely recomended as an alternative to Angmar if you like straightforward to easy linear landscape questing while getting your book pages.

edit: Gloin is in two places at once. Near Goblin town and near the pass from Rivendell.
    Last edited by Calta; May 07 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: mistake

And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    RE Misty Mountains
    Had the Fire and Ice quest (marked raid) in my quest log. Went on RK to the entrance to poke my nose in and discovered it is actually a fellowship quest with inspiration if you solo. (Not sure when that happened-it may been quite a while ago.)
    Fire and Ice is the epic quest, no? It's been inspiriable for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    Gloin is in two places at once. Near Goblin town and near the pass from Rivendell.
    That's what I thought

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast