We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Feedback: Update 13 Revamps: The North Downs, the Trollshaws, and the Misty Mountains

"We took a good, hard look at a few older zones from Shadows of Angmar for the content revamps in Update 13. The North Downs, Trollshaws, and Misty Mountains all needed some love.

The goal of this revamp was to spruce up some very outdated content and yet still retain all of the best aspects of these three very unique regions. There were some great stories, beautiful and diverse environments, memorable characters, and unforgettable moments throughout the content we looked at. Hopefully these have only been enhanced with the improvements that we've made."

Read the full dairy here: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...isty-mountains

A question regarding appearance. One thing I wished I could have given feedback on in beta re. the trollshaws was the draw distance on the last homely house. Seeing Meduseld from across the plains in rohan is awesome, but Casa Elrond jumps in and out of existence as one crosses the bridge and ascends the slopes to the gates of imladris. (even with ultra settings).

I'm crossing my fingers this has been raised by others and looked at...... but the linked dev diary doesn't mention anything. I was really hoping it might get a bree-over if you like. unfortunately I've been out of game for a while.

anyone care to fill me in?
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

My minstrel is in the middle of Book 4 and I am thrilled to see the new swift travels have been implemented. I usually don't level in the Trollshaws, but with these tweaks the next toon that I roll will go through there/MM for sure. Many thanks!
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

I noticed that the levels covered by North Downs has changed, and that is a good thing because some of us with multiple alts like being able to level in more than one place. Has the level range for the quests in The Trollshaws changed, and if so, what is that range?

Quote Originally Posted by Odowulf View Post
    I noticed that the levels covered by North Downs has changed, and that is a good thing because some of us with multiple alts like being able to level in more than one place. Has the level range for the quests in The Trollshaws changed, and if so, what is that range?
    The Trollshaws is basically 35 to 40. The Epic matches better here than it does in the North Downs. Like Moria, the revamps don't touch the Epics. Per the diary, the Misty Mountains had the least amount of change. The Misties are 40 to 45 and Goblin-town is soloable on level but very risky for the poorly geared/traited player. The Giant Halls remain a group zone on level. The Mammoths are still group recommended as well.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Resource Nodes need updating

With the new quest and mob levels in the North Downs around Trestlebridge and in to Annundir it is no longer appropriate for the resource nodes to be Barrow-iron/Silver/Ash and these should be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwall View Post
    With the new quest and mob levels in the North Downs around Trestlebridge and in to Annundir it is no longer appropriate for the resource nodes to be Barrow-iron/Silver/Ash and these should be upgraded.
    Transition zones, of which the Greenway and Annundir are, in the past could be either the lower tier or the higher one, with each node having a chance of spawning either node type. I'm fine with these two zones keeping the older wood/ore/scholar node types. The rest of the North Downs has plenty of Tier 3 nodes. What I did notice, and like a lot, is that the treasure node types (coffers, corpses, etc.) in these transition zones were more likely to give the higher tier reward than the lower one.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

"Goblin Town is now completely solo-able, although it will still likely be difficult for most players. This is a great space, full of interesting lore, so it will be nice for solo players to have deeper access to this enormous dungeon."

My reaction to this was totally unprintable.

Can there be no group content in thus game? Is that the new rule? There is MORE THAN ENOUGH content to get a solo player to level cap on multiple routes. WHY take more and more away from the group player?

And if it because you have no group players, there should be no mystery as to why that is the case.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in Forochel for Shadows of Angmar end-game content - Book XIII (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    "Goblin Town is now completely solo-able, although it will still likely be difficult for most players. This is a great space, full of interesting lore, so it will be nice for solo players to have deeper access to this enormous dungeon."

My reaction to this was totally unprintable.

Can there be no group content in thus game? Is that the new rule? There is MORE THAN ENOUGH content to get a solo player to level cap on multiple routes. WHY take more and more away from the group player?

And if it because you have no group players, there should be no mystery as to why that is the case.
    Goblin Town has always been solo-able.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Goblin Town has always been solo-able.
    Not at it's lower levels. (Why would Turbine write that they made the instance completely so liable if it already was?)

Though - with combat having been made so super easy, a great deal of group content is soloable. I have had characters in the North Downs soloing group content at level + 5 for the last few months, though it has presented some challenge. In this case, we can only interpret Turbine as saying that Goblin Town has been changed from moderately-difficult soloable to the same faceroll soloable that infects everything else.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in Forochel for Shadows of Angmar end-game content - Book XIII (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Trollshaws/Elf Stance

I've only had a chance to visit the Trollshaws so far. It looks great and seems so much smoother. The quest pick-ups and turn-ins which are automatically bestowed like those first witnessed in Moria are a nice addition. Little changes are also noticeable and make for a better experience. More trolls seem to be wandering about near Thorenhad and their movements appear to now include additional posturing. The turn in task box is good also, but what happened to the female elf that was a part of that romance-themed quest chain?

Not really related to the regional revamps (apologies in advance), but ughhh the elves now look too tense and hold their arms in a little too close to their bodies, making them appear as though their arms are disfigured and too short. The narrowing of the shoulders a little is good but perhaps we've taken it a bit too far. Male elfs now appear too thin and perhaps a little too androgynous. Others may not have liked the elvish stance/build as it was before; I did. These elves now look more like those in DnDo, imo.

I'm looking forward to exploring more later today, even with my tense elves.

Not at it's lower levels. (Why would Turbine write that they made the instance completely so liable if it already was?)
    I haven't actually played the new version, so I can't say for 100% what's changed, but I'm sure they just made the whole thing easier. I have always soloed Goblin Town, though, from years back. It has always been one of my favourite areas because it was ultra challenging to do so. Now I'm sure that challenge will be greatly dampened for me.

Though - with combat having been made so super easy, a great deal of group content is soloable. I have had characters in the North Downs soloing group content at level + 5 for the last few months, though it has presented some challenge. In this case, we can only interpret Turbine as saying that Goblin Town has been changed from moderately-difficult soloable to the same faceroll soloable that infects everything else.
    ... I can only speak for myself but I have always been able to take Goblin Town on-level solo... sure, the trolls are a pain in the high-quarters, but that was the worst part. And the end part of Goblin Town is still a 6-man instance last I checked. Furthermore, the "hardest" content was only ever 3-man (aside from the final instance). Additionally, in the entire time I've played this game, and have taken 7 characters through Goblin-Town, the only time I ever saw a fellowship in there is when my kinmates tagged along (as often as not just to kill mobs and grind Rivendell rep while other members actually did the quests).
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

All of Goblin Town was soloable before. Yes, even before the HD faceroll changes. It was by no means easy to solo it - it required a well-geared character and a skilled player - but it was possible.
    Now though... I have not checked Goblin Town yet, but I suspect that you are right that it has been made - if not faceroll easy - then nearly so.

Or in other words, it used to be that you needed to know what you were doing to solo Goblin Town. Now probably all but the most inept players can solo it.

(Exactly why Turbine feels the need to convert group content into solo content despite the fact that there already exists plenty of solo content in the game, is something I don't understand. That they don't wish to spend resources to create new group content is one thing. I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. But spending time and resources to remove (already scarce) group content from the game makes no sense. It would have been much better if that time had been spent on creating new content instead of dumbing down old content.)

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    (Exactly why Turbine feels the need to convert group content into solo content despite the fact that there already exists plenty of solo content in the game, is something I don't understand. That they don't wish to spend resources to create new group content is one thing. I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. But spending time and resources to remove (already scarce) group content from the game makes no sense. It would have been much better if that time had been spent on creating new content instead of dumbing down old content.)
    In the case of Goblin Town I have to agree with you. I get that they probably want to make iconic locations accessible to all players, especially since Goblin Town is so featured in the recent films, but I hope they haven't turned the area into another landscape level region. At least give us an option when entering, to select level of difficulty or something...

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    In the case of Goblin Town I have to agree with you. I get that they probably want to make iconic locations accessible to all players, especially since Goblin Town is so featured in the recent films, but I hope they haven't turned the area into another landscape level region. At least give us an option when entering, to select level of difficulty or something...
    That would be great - with regions like Goblin Town, Annuminus, Agamaur, Mina's Eriol - regions where access is somewhat restricted (or can be made so) - put a gate in front of them and let us choose to enter "face roll simple" or "you should bring friends".

That would be great - with regions like Goblin Town, Annuminus, Agamaur, Mina's Eriol - regions where access is somewhat restricted (or can be made so) - put a gate in front of them and let us choose to enter "face roll simple" or "you should bring friends".
    Agreed, I'm fed up of dying of boredom in this game. Hell I played Facebook games with my grandchildren that has more challenging content than Lotro since they "improved" it. My grandchildren used to play lotro with us, but even at ages 10 & 12 they find lotro too easy to keep their attention anymore!

Any bets on when they make Angmar 100 percent face roll?

Any bets on when they make Angmar 100 percent face roll?
    Angmar has already had an update, chances are they'll skip it. Same for Evendim. The oldest region in game that has never had a revamp is in fact... Forochel.

Well, I guess that's finally it for me. I've come to the most obvious conclusion that Turbine are actually doing their best, making a game they think will be enjoyable for people. They keep moving in the same direction so I can't keep writing off the decisions as missteps. This game that I used to love so much is no longer for me.

Good luck to you all.

Who decided that giving all the animals halos was a good idea? it looks absolutely pathetic! Why didn't they just do away with the gold rings and put speech bubbles over their heads saying "Kill me please!" instead. It wouldn't look any less pathetic and would be in keeping with the new Turbine attitude of aiming the game at 5 year olds! What's next, cute Care Bears that have cute death animations and little angelic ghosts that flap off to heaven when you kill them?

Guess I'll be the lone voice (for now) that is glad to see Goblin Town made a little more accessible to the solo player. I only went through there once, with my brother, and I would love to be able to have the chance to tackle it on my own.
    "I've always found the idea of death comforting. The thought that my life could end at any moment frees me to fully appreciate the beauty and art and horror of everything this world has to offer."

Error

when i try to log in is says trying to connect to server 1-20,then again 2-20 and so on.......it only started after the update and i know it is not my connection so i think this game May need a little fixing.i also tried to reset my router and did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_S View Post
    Guess I'll be the lone voice (for now) that is glad to see Goblin Town made a little more accessible to the solo player. I only went through there once, with my brother, and I would love to be able to have the chance to tackle it on my own.
    I agree, Goblin Town should have been made soloable. It is a very iconic place and the greatest number of people should be able to access it. Anyways, Goblin Town has never been a large group hub. There might have been an odd group now and again but it was still pretty empty, even in the RoM days.

Players who previously were unable to find groups or had to level up a little bit and come back can now run a really fun area of the game.

A
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Agreed, I'm fed up of dying of boredom in this game. Hell I played Facebook games with my grandchildren that has more challenging content than Lotro since they "improved" it. My grandchildren used to play lotro with us, but even at ages 10 & 12 they find lotro too easy to keep their attention anymore!
    Podgie, please give some positive feedback instead of going into each and every thread and say Turbine sucks.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast