We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    I am too very disappointed that there won't be a update on the housing system.

I do not care about a new class. I'd rather have more hooks (without size limits) in my house and yard. Chairs to sit in front of a table, a bed to sleep in. Can it be THAT difficult? *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Update 13 launched today, and LOTRO’s 7th Anniversary celebration will soon follow.

As you can tell, we’re in the heart of the story now. It is a tremendous challenge for the team to do justice to these well-known events, but also one we’re thrilled to be undertaking.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this peek into LOTRO’s future plans, and I look forward to your questions and suggestions.
    Rowan

Aaron, aka Rowan, aka my favorite Executive Producer of LOTRO

Great letter. Love the communication.

I have to say that there's some bitter with the sweet in the letter but all in all, as I wait for the update to load, I'm pretty gosh darned happy.

I'm more than eager to run and see the new stuff. Eager to hear about beornings as they develop. Eager to see what new experiences await in Middle Earth. Basically, LOTRO and Turbine are still delivering on the reasons that other MMOs come and go in my life but this game remains my go-to spot for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallon617 View Post
    Before the game was launched and in the past with talk of new classes this was shot down by many due to the lore issues as the skin-changers were part of what Beorn was and was passed to his son. There wasn't any mention of others with that skill. Also they were a bit bigger than the average human based on art done over the years then you have their depiction in the recent Hobbit film.
    Questions about the class being good or bad aside...this was brought up in the previous discussion thread

From the canon book lore, only the direct descendants of Beorn (which were relatively many, although probably not so numerous right around the time of the War of the Ring) had the ability to shapeshift. But a number of Northmen joined Beorn's descendants to become "Beornings." The population numbers concern is somewhat addressed by the fact that this is basically a solo game and "you" are playing a descendant so the few others that you run into isn't really lore-breakingly out of the question.

Text lore also specifically says that "None of Beorn's descendants matched him in size or strength" so the size depiction won't necessarily be different. Someone commented a bit earlier about issues with Beornings being a different look than other men, but there's no class differentiation in terms of character builder, only a racial one, so it doesn't seem like the game would even be able to make one human look different from another other than armor options.

Quote Originally Posted by gliido View Post
    I feel like Beornings are more of a race than a class. Anyone else agree?
    This is also addressed in text, the lore specifically addresses that these are "Men" who joined together as a group of "Beornings" and help out during the War of the Ring. There's also precedent throughout the books of individual characters that would be classified as "Man" racially (Aragorn, Beorn, etc.) but have superhuman abilities.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000000a2d6/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Runesi_EU View Post
    Yeah but make it a race and you can have a shape shifting Runekeeper, Sauron may as well pack up and go home now!
    Donno. I've played Altered Beast and clearly only men could Beornshift into a bear. The only question is if having more than one in a fellowship will enable one to be the Blue bear.

Maybe I'm just getting old and mello, but in the end with no ability to beornshift outside of combat, the fears of hairy man-bears walking around Bree seems to be dealt with. I don't see any sign of a new starting area, doubt class quests will leave any major footprint in-game, and like most RP'ers in the game I will utterly ignore and not acknowledge the "class." If folks who play the class run around grunting and dressing like Lothar of the Hill People I'll ignore them like I do the NCIS-Bree crowds role-playing a new murder mystery each night. If they further moot the class skill by requiring a given amount of level sensitive "rage" akin to Wardens having to hit their cycles, that makes seeing them in full action even less likely about the wider world. Lastly, if they require mithril coins to buy the class then we have even less to worry about.

Credit where it is due, at least Rowan is simply coming clean and clearing expectations of housing revamps at this point and not letting it fester.

Seems at least that we start 2016 at the BoPF which leaves that year to move to the Black Gate and the end of the journey by the close of 2016. Logically that leaves 2017 for capping things off for whatever future the game has beyond that in 2018-assuming that yes, MEE and WB plan to allow the game to continue on as other older games do.

The irony is that I could see WB letting a fourth age based MMORPG be developed to capstone and eventually replace LOTRO, which would bring us full-circle to the games roots as Middle-earth Online. Maybe leaving LOTRO as we know it to run akin to how they had Asherons Call 2 there for subscribers to the original game. Buy one, get the other free.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

I'm extremely disappointed about the info about no Housing update. I was so looking forward to it last year, and then we were told it had to be moved to this year and I didn't mind waiting, but now it's a no without even a note about when or if it will happen? Please stop adding housing items completely until it's time to work on housing again, because there's nowhere to put everything we already have Or at least free up more inventory space by adding a crafting wallet or raise item limit on task items and other things we get a huge amount of.
    Can't you do a small update to make things a bit better if you can't do the big revamp? Since you could remove one of the housing chests in all deluxe houses, maybe there's a way to add more hooks without going around to add them manually one by one? At least more hooks outside, more large hooks, so we won't have to choose between having a cool new item and bare surroundings, or a tree and some small stuff.

I think many people will like the new class so that's good, but it won't be a fun class for me yet since I want my characters to look beautiful and I still haven't managed to make a male human look good. They're all square and rugged I'm hoping for more face options in the future someday, and until then I'll have an army of elves to keep me entertained It'll still be fun to see a new class running around and hear people talking about it!

That thing about building rage to transform sounds promising though I hope it means that you have to be in combat to transform, because then the streets of Bree will have less wild animals running around

The rest of the letter has kind of faded from my memory due to the huge disappointment about Housing taking over my brain, so I'll have to read it again later.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Thanks for a roadmap to the future of the game.

It sounds more positive than what has happened in the past.

I would hate to write a letter like this and all the revisions to make it open without getting to many complaints. (like 6 pages, in 4 hours?) And all the cut and paste quotes about some sentences.

Sorry to see so many replies with " I " would / want / disagree, etc. Like they need everyone's opinion right now, or any first person opinion. The game isn't about what " I " want, but how the game flows with the plater base. I was at a major league baseball game, and the coach made a stupid player switch, so I went right down to him, and told him how he did it all wrong. Or how stupid the owner is for hiring him in the first place, etc, etc. And how I am never coming back to the game. Yeah, right. All 40,000 thousand get to tell them how to do their job.

Glad resources are going to the game, and not the side stuff. Wonder why they are not dissapointed about fishing also? At least he told you what was happening, and not some bs that we are working on it, like someone has before.

More levels, new areas, sound like a better future and that the game has a plan. Maybe not perfect for everyone, but a good path to take.

Glad your back, and there is so much communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirchenmaus View Post
    I am too very disappointed that there won't be a update on the housing system.

I do not care about a new class. I'd rather have more hooks (without size limits) in my house and yard. Chairs to sit in front of a table, a bed to sleep in. Can it be THAT difficult? *sigh*
    Might be analogous to trying to getting a system geared for Duplo Blocks to work with standard Lego bricks. I agree, cosmetics and housing along with Kinship perks are things I'd pour money into without hesitation. However to be fair I can see that being hard to do quickly or well with the tools and art/objects they have. The kind of dev time that it may need isn't the same as being able to just have any random person do the work, it may require effort the likes of which is hard to choose over other priorities.

What I wish is that we had some kind of LOTRO-kickstarter system where the community could effectively bid on a menu of options for development. Bid how I'll leave open, TP or Mithril coins, whatever. It would back real change with hard money and that is difficult to deny.

Time for chicken hockey only kinships.

1) Make Beorning
    2) Name him Beargeron, Bearchuk or Rawrsk
    3) Start kinship
    4) Name it Breeland Bruins

More of a Canucks fan? Devils? Lightning? Sharks? I'm sure we can arrange something there, too.

Then we all play for the Steward's Cup. Cup finale in Minas Tirith.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

[/CENTER]

First of all, I really appreciate the level of detail in this Producer's Letter. New areas are named! New features are identified! It's refreshing to see this.

Regarding the specifics:

My reaction to the Beorning announcement is mostly ambivalent. I'm not a big stickler for the Lore, but I don't think that a new class is generally really necessary at this point, and this particular class (from the sparse description so far) doesn't really seem like it is going to fill a great need. Plus, the fact that it seems to be a race (or at the very least, an 'ethnicity' of Man akin to Dunedain) is somewhat confusing. One doesn't train to become a Beorning in the same way that one trains to become a better Champion or Burglar.

Also, I know Devs indicated that the new Class Trait system made the process of developing a new class much easier, but even so I have some concern about the amount of time and development effort towards this new class when there are so many other fundamental parts of the game that still need attention (and that aren't mentioned in this letter). However, Turbine is going to move forward with this regardless, so here's hoping that it is well-executed.

I'm also struck by the apparent speed with which we are now zooming along the Path of the Fellowship. The days of regions like Mirkwood and Forochel are apparently long-gone -- since they really aren't part of "the journey" there is apparently no push to develop that kind of content under this new model in which the story takes precedence above all. Obviously, the story is a big part of LOTRO, but this feels a bit tunnel-visiony. Perhaps there will still be 'filler regions' like Great River or Wildermore -- although I hope that the quality is better than Wildermore. Don't get me wrong -- I am really excited to see the Paths of the Dead and the Dead Marshes like anyone else! I just enjoy the main story being intermixed with a sense of a wider world as well.

I'm also really surprised that there isn't more a push, in terms of resources, toward developing the social side of LOTRO, since that is another strength of this game. Things like Housing and Kinships (and the Music system) could really be something that set this game apart, but it is very clear that the manpower and the developer time aren't being allocated in that direction. The decision to kill the Housing update is, in the immortal words of Pete Campbell, "Not great, Bob!"

Finally, I'm disappointed that more Epic Battles are on the horizon. Until much more is done to improve the current experience of these Battles, this is not something that I am looking forward to. Especially concerning is the possibility that this is going to be apparent endgame content through level 100 and possibly level 105, unless other surprises are to come. I would like other interesting things to do once I complete the Landscape quests.

Update 13 launched today, and LOTRO’s 7th Anniversary celebration will soon follow. U13 marks the finale of the Volume 3 Epic Story – this opens us to Volume 4 (and Gondor) later in the year. With that in mind, I wanted to provide you with an outline of our committed plans over the coming months.

Paths of the Dead and Dol Amroth: Our second update of the year will kick off a new volume of the Epic Story, featuring the aftermath of the Army of the Dead as they pass through Blackroot Vale. Journey to Dol Amroth, our first Gondorian city and seaside port! You’ll also have five new levels to advance your character.

Dead Marshes: Between updates, we’ll take a small detour to check on wayward Hobbits…

Pelargir: Our third update of the year will take you to the great port of Pelargir on the delta of Anduin. Join the Army of the Dead to defeat the Corsairs of Umbar! This update will also include five new levels.

These new quests and the level caps will all be free to VIPs.
    Wait, what happened to no new expansions in 2014? I thought Turbine was going to spend the year fixing issues with LOTRO and working on the housing revamp?!?!?!?

Of Bears and Bees
    Recently we confirmed that LOTRO will be releasing a new class this year. I’m pleased to announce that this class is the Beorning! This will be LOTRO’s first class since the Mines of Moria expansion introduced the Warden and Rune-keeper.

Beornings are noted in The Lord of the Rings trilogy as a race of Man, with close origins to the Rohirrim and the Men of Dale. Most Men are not shape-changers, so we envision the Beorning as a light armor casting class with a focus on control of the battlefield. When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear.

We’ll be sharing early class designs with the new Players Council. Expect more details later this year, as the class progresses through alpha and beta.
    Thanks for the new class.

Housing
    This deserves a special mention. After reviewing all our goals for the year, major Housing changes will not be among them. We reviewed multiple options to update the system – none of them met our standards of quality, and ultimately the system you would want us to build.

LOTRO is about the journey, and first and foremost we want to be expanding and growing the world of Middle-earth. This does not mean there will be no changes to Housing, but don’t expect broad, systemic updates. I’m sorry that we set any other expectations in the past, as we know this is a feature that many of you greatly value.
    So can we assume that the few tweakings in the housing that will come later will be just like the housing chest changes? Meaning the changes will be gated behind the turbine store for lots and lots of TP and MC? Although i was really looking forward to the housing changes. This bit of news is a bit of a let down. It went from were going to take a serious look into revamping the housing, to We will not be releasing any housing changes this year as we dont have enough time before the release of HD so the housing changes will be worked on in 2014. To what we have now. Oh well. Sigh.. this is sad news indeed...

As always, there are also features that we’re working on but haven’t committed a timeline to. Basically, we’ll ship them when they’re ready. Many of these ideas are based on your feedback, so please keep it coming!

Kinships: The next addition to loot options is a system of crafting tied to your Kinship house, which will encourage more social play. Our goal is to create Kinship deeds that you can complete together.

Combat Rebalancing: You’ve said that high-level combat has gotten too easy, and we agree! With new regions we’ll be taking a hard look at balance and adjusting existing opponents or adding new ones.

PvMP: Why add catapults to the Ettenmoors? Why not? Siege weapons!

Epic Battles: We’ll continue to update and improve this system, along with a new battle in 2014. There are some epic conflicts ahead in the story.

Festivals: Hobnanigans (better known as Chicken Hockey) is a special event for the Bree-fields. You can expect new weekend boosts and events as we go forward.

Looking out to the future, our Palantir reveals multiple updates in 2015. Here are two of them!

Osgiliath: The middle of 2015 brings us deeper in Gondor, and to lands directly contested by Sauron’s armies.

Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith: The end of 2015 takes us to one of the defining moments of the War of the Ring, the battle before the walls of Minas Tirith.

As you can tell, we’re in the heart of the story now. It is a tremendous challenge for the team to do justice to these well-known events, but also one we’re thrilled to be undertaking.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this peek into LOTRO’s future plans, and I look forward to your questions and suggestions.
    Rowan
    heh, might want to hold off on announcing future plans beyond 12 months since whats going to worked on or accomplished seems to change...

no im not mad, was just thinking that their was no no content or expansions this year so that, issues, bugs, balancing and housing could be worked on...
    [center]***[color=red]Public Safety Reminder:[/color] When Driving, Please [u]do not[/u] use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, [u]do not[/u] or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    Loremasters are masters of crowd control according to turbine. Creating a light armoured control oriented class seems to stand directly on the toes of the lore master. Gaining fury from control? Fury sounds much more like a melee oriented mechanic than from control effects. Dubious about the new class but looking forward to seeing new regions.
    Yes, that is interesting. I do think there is room for more CC though. Currently, the most difficult part of some raids/pulls is the first 30 seconds or so. If you survive that, it usually gets easier. So if the Beorning/skin-changer class helps with that (and then shape-changes into a champ-like AoE/rend/melee DPS), then I would be happy to have some in my raid group.

It will be interesting to see how they implement the CC though. Perhaps instead of a single-target daze/mez/riddle effect, it will be more like a brief proximity AoE "fear" effect, sending lesser adds running around in terror.

Then you accumulate rage (by taking damage? by using skills? hmm...), and change to bear form. In that form, your defenses (b/p/e) and mitigation would be better. I would imagine aggro and single-target DPS would be pretty good. Probably bleed skills, and perhaps armor rending.

So they might overlap with CC classes, and melee DPS classes, and even tank classes. Not likely they'll have any stealth, range, healing, or buffing skills. Though I guess they could get some self-healing by shape-changing, or maybe some pre/post combat buffing with honey cakes.
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Finally, I'm disappointed that more Epic Battles are on the horizon. Until much more is done to improve the current experience of these Battles, this is not something that I am looking forward to. Especially concerning is the possibility that this is going to be apparent endgame content through level 100 and possibly level 105, unless other surprises are to come. I would like other interesting things to do once I complete the Landscape quests.
    One aspect of feedback we get sometimes (historically) is that LOTRO starts new systems but doesn't finish them. Hobbies (AKA Fishing) is the most obvious example of this. I've committed the team to more epic battles so that we can improve the system. They also are thematically appropriate to this time in the story (with so many large, cinematic battles).
    Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™

Beorning

Just hope that they make the class very large as that's a part of their uniqueness in how they are much bigger that a normal man.

Thur

Good to see the roadmap published. Keep on communicating with us!

As for the content of the roadmap:

The Good

- Great to see the game story progressing. Dol Amroth & Pelagir are good choices, as is Dead Marshes. Though for the latter just avoid the temptation to add quest hubs every 20 yards or so.

- Content Rebalancing. Looking forward to see how you address this. The U13 changes are a good start. More open-world group content will also help.

- Siege Weapons in PVP. Fantastic! But I will reserve judgement until we can see the first implementations in beta. Some of us have heard this before with Age of Conan!

The Bad

- Beornings. Really? The lore is quite clear on this - those Beornings who were shapechangers were direct make descendants of Beorn himself. Feels to me as though you're chasing the Hobbit crowd - which is not a bad thing but this decision is a bit crass, not least given all the other options that were available. Personally I was looking forward to playing a Knight or an Animist.

- Housing. I can understand the desire to hold back from putting out what could come across as a half-backed set of changes, but you guys are in danger of losing momentum and the attention of the player base with this. Either start putting in smaller changes on an iterative basis or be totally open and tell us the scope of the changes that you intend to bring.

The Ugly

- No traditional Group Content. Another 10 levels and still no new instance cluster announced, let alone any raids. This is not going to be good for the game. Can fully understand the plan to exploit the Epic Battles system as much as possible - makes sense commercially as well as where the story is, but not complementing this with a new instance cluster or two is another opportunity lost to show to those of us who want more group content that there is indeed a change of direction on this. Instances & Raids are bread & butter for MMOs.

- Kinship changes. Come on Turbine, you were given a ready-made template of changes for a kinship revamp so how about showing us your intentions on this. Kinship crafting is ok but it needs more.

Anyhow, the fact that we're able to discuss and feedback on these roadmaps just shows how much progress has been made since the start of the year

Thanks again.
    Last edited by BangoTwinkletoes; Apr 14 2014 at 12:34 PM.
    <A sig goes here>

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I am HOPPING mad about housing. Like, mad enough that were I a Beorning I could safely stay in bear form for at least a few months. All I have EVER wanted was more hooks, and more freedom in usage of those hooks (i.e. do away with the annoying limitation and let any item be used in any hook). Can we at least expect that, and if so, when?

Frankly that's all I have to say about this letter because the housing news has dampened my feelings for the rest of it.
    I must agree.

I am glad to see the letter, and when I saw 'Dol Amroth' I nearly squeed in joy. It's great to see concrete plans for the future, and I am pleased that so many parts of Middle-Earth will be revealed. Lots of good news. But the Housing news has taken the wind from my sails today, so I just can't care much about the rest of it. That was what I was most excited about. I hope we will be getting *some* improvements, at least.

I apologize for being negative. Dol Amroth makes me happy, as I never thought we'd actually get to visit. Hopefully loads of Dol Amroth- and Gondor-themed cosmetics are on the horizon!

Anyway, thanks for the informative and honest letter, Rowan. I am glad LotRO will keep journeying on.

Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    Might be analogous to trying to getting a system geared for Duplo Blocks to work with standard Lego bricks. I agree, cosmetics and housing along with Kinship perks are things I'd pour money into without hesitation. However to be fair I can see that being hard to do quickly or well with the tools and art/objects they have. The kind of dev time that it may need isn't the same as being able to just have any random person do the work, it may require effort the likes of which is hard to choose over other priorities.

What I wish is that we had some kind of LOTRO-kickstarter system where the community could effectively bid on a menu of options for development. Bid how I'll leave open, TP or Mithril coins, whatever. It would back real change with hard money and that is difficult to deny.
    the issue I have and i think that most have or will have is they said it was coming. they said their was no new expansions this year so they could work on issues with lotro and the housing revamp/revisions/changes. I used to like the housing and would have love to seen it utilized better, without costing an arm and 2 legs in tp and MC. they are already racking in the cash from 400 mc for the 4 housing chest upgrades. If the minor tweaks to housing will cost a ton of tp or mc i may have to give up the housing in lotro. Because Its already going to cost me 2,400 mithril coins for all my housing chest upgrades on all the servers i play on. and no i dont expect anything for free, I was just stating my opinion because the change in plans for the housing has me kind of sad. I have been looking forward to the housing changes since it was announced it was going to be done.

oh well.
    Last edited by Gagmuk; Apr 14 2014 at 12:49 PM.
    [center]***[color=red]Public Safety Reminder:[/color] When Driving, Please [u]do not[/u] use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, [u]do not[/u] or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***[/center]

Coming to the "end" of the story only gives us freedom to venture to other parts of the world. I don't see it as an end at all.
    The "end" of the story doesn't come until the scouring of the shire and us coming full circle back to the South Farthing, which has had a stopped-up path since before launch. Actually, we probably need to take Frodo over to the Grey Havens, too. And it doesn't HAVE to end there - this is OUR story, not Frodo's or the ring's.
    [i]Salvation[/i] ~ Meneldor
    Eolynd Swordstorm- Woman Champion ~ Emeralda Greenleaf - Hobbit Burglar ~ Elemmir - Elf Runekeeper ~ Eltinwing - Elf Hunter ~ Elanya -Hobbit Warden ~ Eredith - Woman Captain ~ Eltinwe - Elf Minstrel ~ Eilwy - Hobbit Guardian ~ Along with assorted Creeps

First off, thanks for the letter, and thank you for (I'm attributing it to you anyway) the increased quality of communications between the lotro team and the players that has taken shape since your return as executive producer.
    Paths of the Dead and Dol Amroth: Our second update of the year will kick off a new volume of the Epic Story, featuring the aftermath of the Army of the Dead as they pass through Blackroot Vale. Journey to Dol Amroth, our first Gondorian city and seaside port! You’ll also have five new levels to advance your character.

Dead Marshes: Between updates, we’ll take a small detour to check on wayward Hobbits…

Pelargir: Our third update of the year will take you to the great port of Pelargir on the delta of Anduin. Join the Army of the Dead to defeat the Corsairs of Umbar! This update will also include five new levels.

These new quests and the level caps will all be free to VIPs.
    The only mention of new instances in this letter is a new BB, so I'm operating under the assumption that that will be all. This means we will be getting 2 level cap changes in around 6 months, with no NEW instanced content with which to earn rewards once the level cap has changed. Do you not see an issue with the level cap changing and essentially making players replace every item in their inventory, and forcing to do 99% of the same exact things they did 3 months prior to get back to where they were? Same thing goes for LIs, regrinding the EXACT SAME THING every 3 months to accommodate a level change that isn't accompanied by new things for people to do once they're reached the cap seems wholly backwards? I can appreciate that lotro isn't targetting end-game raiding as a primary focus like it seemed to in the past, and I can also appreciate that you're speeding up the release rate of new landscape content to encourage subs and people to buy new regions with TP. But where is the NEED to raise the level cap in concert with these things. Is it so much to ask that you save a change in level cap for times when you're ready to release enough content for all the different playstyles that are effected by said change in cap?

Of Bears and Bees
    Recently we confirmed that LOTRO will be releasing a new class this year. I’m pleased to announce that this class is the Beorning! This will be LOTRO’s first class since the Mines of Moria expansion introduced the Warden and Rune-keeper.

Beornings are noted in The Lord of the Rings trilogy as a race of Man, with close origins to the Rohirrim and the Men of Dale. Most Men are not shape-changers, so we envision the Beorning as a light armor casting class with a focus on control of the battlefield. When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear.

We’ll be sharing early class designs with the new Players Council. Expect more details later this year, as the class progresses through alpha and beta.
    This class doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea, but thats not terribly important, hopefully you design a class that is fun for others to play. I'm not exactly a lore monkey, but this choice strikes me as a pinch of lore, and a yard of creative licensing. A new class like this one makes me wonder if in a few years you'll be rolling out the new "Blue Wizard" class for everyone to roll out once we've reached Mordor.

Housing
    This deserves a special mention. After reviewing all our goals for the year, major Housing changes will not be among them. We reviewed multiple options to update the system – none of them met our standards of quality, and ultimately the system you would want us to build.

LOTRO is about the journey, and first and foremost we want to be expanding and growing the world of Middle-earth. This does not mean there will be no changes to Housing, but don’t expect broad, systemic updates. I’m sorry that we set any other expectations in the past, as we know this is a feature that many of you greatly value.

As always, there are also features that we’re working on but haven’t committed a timeline to. Basically, we’ll ship them when they’re ready. Many of these ideas are based on your feedback, so please keep it coming!
    Couldn't really care any less about housing updates to be honest. But continuing to dangle the housing update carrot and continuing to not actually do anything is an ever worsening problem and a bit of a slap to the face of those people who do care deeply about this aspect of the game.

PvMP: Why add catapults to the Ettenmoors? Why not? Siege weapons!
    How about actually saying why. When this change was alluded to, if was met with at best mixed responses, and more realistically general negativity. U13 is being touted as having major updates to balance and bugfixes to the moors. However, unless there is a swath of changes that were neither in any BETA round, or in the patch notes, its still a wildly 'broken' region in need of countless fixes to longstanding problems. You're going to be met with a lot of skepticism and negative commentary by the PvMP community (even more than normal!) when you essentially toss out a brand new combat system few people are looking for, with little reasoning, with a track record of never finishing the previous newly released systems. This just reeks of another example of turbine trying to imitate the current MMO FotM regardless of how well it fits into what we actually have here.

Epic Battles: We’ll continue to update and improve this system, along with a new battle in 2014. There are some epic conflicts ahead in the story.
    From this wording is it safe to assume we're looking at 'tweaks and balance' changes to the Big Battles instance system and not a more comprehensive overhaul of this instance type? If so, this is 2 expansions in a row where the defining element has been a very buggy, messy, uninspiring new system at launch that has gone through tweaks and modifications to become a slightly buggy, messy, and still uninspiring system upon being 'finished'.

Overall this letter really just reminds me of some of our most recent former Devs; RockX and Verizal. Nice people, and seemingly very committed to doing the 'right thing' for the game and trying to improve players experiences here. But ultimately the content of the things they (and you) actually said and did aren't very close to either what I'm looking for, or what seems to be good for the game.
    Last edited by spelunker; Apr 14 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    they said their was no new expansions this year so they could work on issues with lotro and the housing revamp/revisions/changes
    Actuall you're only partially right. We did say we were focusing on improving the game and addressing some outstanding issues, and I think even a basic read of the U13 patch notes makes it clear we meant that and have put in some good work in that direction already. Aaron's original producer's letter as well as this one, make it clear that our focus is the story. Players on the other hand suggested any number of other reason why we weren't doing expansions, raids, and whatever else. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the player assumptions, 'interpretations', and rumors are only that and should never be confused with actual facts or statements from Turbine staff.

oh dear, they actually did make a beorning class.... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Just seems so wrong.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Well at the very least I get to play a lore-master again.., oops, sorry, new class soon. but 10 more levels? Really, really? With itemisation everything will be just the same just with more might/will/agility. Boring, very boring.

I was Bhorn, bhorn to be wild... dum-de-dum-de-dum.

2 cents

Honesty is good, but it's a little late after years of promises and raising expectations for some sort of housing update. Reminds me of the good old days of "Epic will always be free," promises, until it wasn't.

Females that turn into bears due to rage.. maybe it's just me but as a female I find it distasteful, along with the endless ex-wife jokes beginning here in this thread and for the entire future of this class.

And LOTRO obviously does not need another CC class. Is this why you gave us trees? So you could wipe LMs off the almost non existent raid list? Red line dps is a joke compared to the other dps classes, and yellow line will be useless once we get the shiny new CC bears. Will you at least make them LOOK like the LM BEARS??? Better yet, lock up their toolbars when they switch, so that the LM in the group has to take control over the bear form.

Hmm now that could make the new class more "bearable." Make it play as just another LM pet, and I'm in...

-Synniseth
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000032ef1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    I'm also struck by the apparent speed with which we are now zooming along the Path of the Fellowship. The days of regions like Mirkwood and Forochel are apparently long-gone -- since they really aren't part of "the journey" there is apparently no push to develop that kind of content under this new model in which the story takes precedence above all. Obviously, the story is a big part of LOTRO, but this feels a bit tunnel-visiony. Perhaps there will still be 'filler regions' like Great River or Wildermore -- although I hope that the quality is better than Wildermore. Don't get me wrong -- I am really excited to see the Paths of the Dead and the Dead Marshes like anyone else! I just enjoy the main story being intermixed with a sense of a wider world as well.
    We know the license extends to 2017, I think the goal is to get us to Mordor by that time.

There is a distinct possibility that the license won't be renewed, you have to admit it's possible. It might also be extended/rewritten. We won't know until Turbine tells us they have a license to operate beyond 2017 or when they announce a shut down date. If it's extended there is still a lot of content that can be written, whether it's back to the Shire or lands that we haven't seen yet or revisiting old lands. What I see is a commitment to get us to Mordor by the end of this license term, just in case it doesn't get renewed, there will be some feeling of completion amongst the players and the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    the issue I have and i think that most have or will have is they said it was coming. they said their was no new expansions this year so they could work on issues with lotro and the housing revamp/revisions/changes. I used to like the housing and would have love to seen it utilized better, without costing an arm and 2 legs in tp and MC. they are already racking in the cash from 400 mc for the 4 housing chest upgrades. If the minor tweaks to housing will cost a ton of tp or mc i may have to give up the housing in lotro. Because Its already going to cost me 2,400 mithril coins for all my housing chest upgrades on all the servers i play on. and no i dont expect anything for free, I was just stating my opinion..
    I think you are completely entitled to the anger over their having said it was coming, however tacitly or explicitly one feels they did. Lack of communication is the mother of frustration. That said, Rowan is a known and respected figure heretofore and I'll give him a clean slate to work with.

The storage upgrades being funneled through Mithril coins is disappointing. The upgrades aren't compelling enough to warrant converting my TP to do it. The MC system just doesn't leave me feeling I'm getting fair value for the conversion rates they have. I can understand technical reasons why they are introducing it, but without communication from on-high that makes those reasons clear I'm left with frustration and suspicion. So are many I suspect from interactions among my Kinship and those who frequent it's TeamSpeak and private gatherings. Likewise, the thought that anything we do want will cost MC at the conversion rates we already aren't happy with lessens the value of upgrades and leaves me working around them.

I too will pay for a lot of stuff, practical and fluff alike. But not if I have a hint of feeling that I'm being given a three card monte game instead of straight-up system.

Disappointing letter overall. Catapults are not what PvMP needs. Housing is being overlooked. Raising the level cap?! Argh. People here are tossing off comments like, "great to see the level cap going up" perhaps without realizing that it means that all the equipment you get between now and then will, yet again, become quickly obsolete. This seems to be the only endgame these days: making us replace all our gear with slightly higher-level gear. Yes, Turbine is bringing some new zones but let's hope that we are not running water to put out fires and bringing lunch to weary soldiers.

The new class looks absolutely confounding to me. The predominant reaction seems to be a fear that we will now have 50 bear-men running around Bree. I agree that the choice of Beornings, even if limited to when in a "rage," is generally lore-breaking and has great potential to make the game look silly. More troubling to me, though, is the notion that this is a light-armor control class in a game that really doesn't need any control class at all. LOTRO has devolved into a DPS race in almost every battle: why add a class based on control? Sure, there are still a few LMs that spec yellow but this is a very poor choice of focus for a new class.

Anyway, best of luck to those still enjoying the game.
    Last edited by swengle; Apr 14 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast