We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    And from that quote it is clear Beornings is the name of the people dwelling there, not a class: Who they are, not what they do.

Beornings is just the name of the northmen who lived in that area under the rule of Beorn as a chief (and later his descendants). The skinchanger(s) among them are the male descendant(s) of Beorn.

Overall I'm disappointed with this news. Not only giving the name of an array of northmen to a class, but giving that class the ability to do something only a handful of people could do. Might as well make a class called Ent or Istar.
    Oh but wait their Ent form is for healing! And some crazy looking owl/deer thing that does some weird dancing is their control form. Oh wait wrong game.

So when do we get flying mounts again? Oh wait again wrong game.

Sarcasm aside I'm very disappointed in the reveal of the new class. Before the game was launched and in the past with talk of new classes this was shot down by many due to the lore issues as the skin-changers were part of what Beorn was and was passed to his son. There wasn't any mention of others with that skill. Also they were a bit bigger than the average human based on art done over the years then you have their depiction in the recent Hobbit film. Speaking of the film this is an obvious attempt to ride on the coat tails of the film which wasn't accurate on Beorn to begin with. He has a son and he says he's the last. It's mentioned he can't control himself while in bear form which is not true either. Basing this class off the idea of skin changers is one thing calling it Beorings is another. Change the name and make this available to all races to be fair to them if you want to really pull in money. If you make this a race of man exclusive then you might as well open up the Captain to other races too. You've already alienated many people over the years and are going even further with this class reveal and also haven't learned from the backlash from many during the reveal of the RK or the talks of the past in regards to a shape shifting class.

Please for the love of God or whatever you believe in stop following other MMOs, especially WoW. To me this reads like the Boomkin the only difference is in WoW you can change form at will whereas with this you're just moving something akin to the Champions fervour to allow players to change into a bear. We already have control classes aka Loremaster and Burglar. Are you aiming to make those classes obsolete? I just don't understand with all the ideas people have put forth why pick this one? Very disappointed I am.
    Tessariel Aerlinn of Landroval
    Elven Minstrel of Rivendell
    Member of Sons of Numenor

I am HOPPING mad about housing. Like, mad enough that were I a Beorning I could safely stay in bear form for at least a few months. All I have EVER wanted was more hooks, and more freedom in usage of those hooks (i.e. do away with the annoying limitation and let any item be used in any hook). Can we at least expect that, and if so, when?

Frankly that's all I have to say about this letter because the housing news has dampened my feelings for the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

2. Yes. It's still early enough that the first design overviews won't go to the Players Council until the end of the month.
    So, since it's still early enough can we just drop this class and add one more inline with lore, for example a ranger?

Loremasters are masters of crowd control according to turbine. Creating a light armoured control oriented class seems to stand directly on the toes of the lore master. Gaining fury from control? Fury sounds much more like a melee oriented mechanic than from control effects. Dubious about the new class but looking forward to seeing new regions.

Q: "You are making Female Beornshifters"

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    1. Yes.
    Well you see, I have the perfect way around the whole Lore issue. Since we are talking about human women that turn into mighty bears when enraged, we can just rename this the "Ex-wife Class."

Seriously, I play with this class and it isn't Free-to-Play, it could generate a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by tsevrah View Post
    To the folks that are freaking out, and making "WoW" comparisons etc.

"When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear."

To me, this reads as a brief animation, or a state that is only maintained at FULL rage bar i.e. briefly. This does not mean there will be a bunch of bears running around towns, or people permanently shape-shifted.
    Also, your armor explodes, and when you return to human form, you're naked.

So that should be fun.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

I feel like Beornings are more of a race than a class. Anyone else agree?

I don't understand why people think it's "unfair" that Beornings are limited to being humans. You're not restricted to using a single race for all of your characters. Sure there will be more humans in the game, but that just makes the other races more "special". Why is it "unfair" that if you want to create a Beorning it will have to be human?
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by gliido View Post
    I feel like Beornings are more of a race than a class. Anyone else agree?
    Yeah but make it a race and you can have a shape shifting Runekeeper, Sauron may as well pack up and go home now!
    Council Of The West On Evernight

Runesi

Yay! Way to go Aaron! Though I'm not that keen on some of the changes / future plans, I love this new, improved communication with Turbine. Absolutely reassuring, at least for me. Makes me wanna invest time and gold in the game again. I wish you had returned sooner - by at least a couple of months.
    Koti || Edoram || Naemanor || Hamberadan || Margia || Belegmellon || Khimi || Thederwen || Granetia || Stanno of Laurelin

I am feeling very happy with U13 update and plans for future, as a dedicated creep player, AND big fan of skinchangers (and what kind of ! not some werewolfs) I would like to write : Thank you Turbine (all staff and Rowan .
    For sure you will have some additional income (I mean mine) with this new class because as I do not prefer playing freeps to beoring I will make an exception.

Cheers - B.

I'm rather disappointed about the housing. Something was promised to us almost one and a half year ago, and we have seen almost nothing in return. Worse over, I get the distinct impression that not really much has happened to begin with, that housing never got anywhere more than 'plans', 'revised plans', even more 'revised revised plans' and oh, storage.

I feel my expectations regarding housing have been played on. They were raised beginning 2013, lowered mid/2nd half 2014, raised again dec 2013, raised somewhat more beginning 2014 and now they're down in the dumps.

I'm not feeling very hyped about LOTRO/Turbine right now. You make some nice announcements for the (near) future but I'm uncertain to put any value onto them untill I see them in patch notes. That's really not how you want customers to be feeling towards the credibility of one's company, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotvillage View Post
    Gaining fury from control? Fury sounds much more like a melee oriented mechanic than from control effects.
    I'll throw up a few wild guesses and say they'll gain rage by hitting and getting hit (maybe a morale% loss mechanic). Since they're light armour ragers, devs are probably going to press a berserker angle and give them a traitline specializing in two-handed weapons. The choice of words in "control of battlefield" is a little odd considering they'd normally say crowd control, so there might be more to it than just standard CC skills. I'm going to guess a lot of shouting with self-centered AoE effects.

Edit - Also I wonder about the "bear mode," there's likely going to be a hotkey bar switch when you transform.
    Last edited by Zetsubousensei; Apr 14 2014 at 11:32 AM.

I must say, I'm quite depressed about no new housing updates. I've been looking forward to it greatly for a long time now, as it's very frustrating trying to place items in homes when there are only a few slots available for certain sizes. I would even be slightly satisfied, if for now, we could place any size item in any of our current slots and had perhaps a few more slots thrown into the yards and larger interior rooms!

I'm excited to hear about the updates and where our new volume of the Epic Story will lead us and I'm very glad to hear that there will not be bears wandering the streets. I am curious about how they shape-shifting will happen while mounted, but guess we'l see it when we see it!
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    :: Lhinnthel :: Laerelwen :: Wrenlhin :: Avlina :: Briare :: Iaroel... and many more (=
    Far Apart, Never Alone!

tl;dr: No end-game stuff until year 2016. or probably like year 2059.

Gutted. No housing updates whatsoever?! How hard can it be to add some simple friggin' hooks?! Bought myself a new house in anticipation of the changes promised and now it's just gonna sit there once again, being nothing but a money-drain. AGAIN?! All about the journey you say. We can all see where that has lead to. A game is not about some stupid series of quests leading us another 5 lvls ahead, forcing us to start the whole gear and LI grind all over again. A game is about it's core concepts.

When you think World of Warcraft, you think Raids and Arenas. When you think Rift you think Raids and massive talent trees. When you think Everquest you think class customization and housing. Think ESO and it's RvRvR. Think Guild Wars 2 and it's PvP. What does one think of when he hears LotRO? Middle Earth. Anything else? PvP? Nope. Raids? Once upon a time perhaps. Expansive character customization. What? Where? Oh wait, got it; Big Battles! Yup, the thing which drove so many friends away of my favorite MMO, that is what sets the game apart. Good job there!
    There is literally nothing that comes to mind as the core of LotRO, which is fine and dandy as long as you got a healthy and mature community to welcome you back login after login, but we haven't even that anymore.
    Do you honestly think another series of quests with a few more lvls is gonna be what it takes to bring back the crowd? More of the same, will that really do the trick?

If anything, LotRO is famous for it's introduction of new mechanics, only to abandon them shortly after. Housing has not received anything major. Skirmishes have received nothing major. Wardrobe system has received nothing major. Even Mounted Combat has received nothing major.

I appreciate the honesty and -while not a fan of another control class- I do appreciate the effort to deliver a new class, but you guys have got to learn that simple repetitive questing is not what builds MMOs, it's communities and a way for them to express themself creatively. Add some new lvl of character customization. Expand the wardrobe system to include weapons and shields (do not tell us this is impossible! Expanding the quest limits was equally impossible and 'lo and behold). Expand the housing system. For the love of all that's sacred, expand the features which made this game great, not the feature which drove away the masses.

Good to see the roadmap for what's happening in the next year or so and excited by it as well - with the exception of housing. OK we appreciate the candour but I'm very surprised that this decision has been made for what is one of the most commonly requested area features to be looked at.

Hopefully the feedback in this thread and from the player council can force a bit of a U-turn, although I'm excited about the new areas and features mentioned I'd sooner wait a bit longer for them if that meant resources could be freed up for improving housing.

[QUOTE=Murtanion;7140867]Sincerely disheartened with this annoucement regarding the new class. I had hoped the day would never come when a rare figure from Middle Earth would populate the servers En-Masse. Looks like that is exactly what we will get with The Beorning.

"Gandalf thought the Beornings might have originated in the Misty Mountains.[1] During the Third Age they guarded the Ford of Carrock from the Orcs and Wargs (in The Hobbit, Gloin complained that their tolls were high) and they also aided the Elves in defending their kingdom in northern Mirkwood."

Gloin didn't mention anything about the tolls in "the Hobbit", he mentions it to Frodo during the banquet held in honor of Frodo's recovery from being stabbed by the Witch King.

1. I do appreciate the increased communication.

2. While I have many housing trophies I would like to display, I don't log in to play housing; however, has anyone thought of removing the thin/small/large designations to let us put anything in the existing hooks, or simply change all items to floor/wall/yard and let us take it from there? Is that a tradeoff that could be done instead of free form placement?

3. Two level cap increases in the space of a couple months means that I'll level, park my toons and wait for the next level cap increase. I have no desire to redo my LIs and gear across all my toons in that short of a time (in all honesty my lesser alts haven't even made it all the way through HD for their points). Any way, there's no content where updated gear is needed, excepting pvp. I'm not sure if the level cap increase was the goal in itself or whether you've backed yourself into an itemization corner, or whether you've determined that the store LI upgrades are prime sellers.

4. Still no classic instances being hinted at, we know nothing is coming this year, but was hoping that you could have hinted at something on the drawing board, instead what we get is another BB (count me as one that doesn't care for them).

Been a long time that i write here

I read that letter with much anticipation. Beownings is a very welcome class. First of all as something completely new and refreshing. Secondly because i personally love the shift changing characters no matter what game!!

New areas sounds wonderfull and actually i believe there will be, cause last expansions greatest achievement was how beautiful they were.

PvMp siege weapons sounds fun, but i see it as a gimmick that will soon be left out. I mean.. i dont expect someone to go use that catapult with 2, 3 creeps or freeps roaming the land. But will see...

And now comes to what i found very important... progress
    2007-2013 First book of the Trilogy- part of second
    2014-2015 Second book and at least half of trrid! (from what you say) And with no big expansion announced (thus no big money gain)
    I read some posts that, by ending the story means that some other roads open, but as i see it is, lets go as fast as possible to cover the basics. To be honest that worries me. A new pvmp zone was announced, postponed indefinately. Most wanting housing revamp was announced and was in progress postponed indefinately. And its like you said we dont want any more side trips. I dont know what future has that game and i ll be around to see it but tryth be told as a follower i am worried.

If we're concerned about lore for the new class, let's look at the source material. By my count Beorn and his kin are mentioned 6 times in LOTR: three times in FOTR, once in TTT, and twice in the appendices after ROTK. Since I'm not sure about LOTRO's licensing I don't think it's worth quoting The Hobbit here, but the 7 or so passages that describe Beorn and his kin go into a lot of detail as well.

Throughout both books I was only able to find the phrase "skin-changer" twice: both by Gandalf when he first describes Beorn to Bilbo. I wasn't able to find any mention of shapeshifters or changelings, though I may have missed a spelling alteration. If these do appear anywhere else, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo listens to dinner chat in Rivendell:
    ...Frodo learned that Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, was now the lord of many sturdy men, and to their land between the Mountains and Mirkwood neither orc nor wolf dared to go.

'lndeed,' said Glóin, `if it were not for the Beornings, the passage from Dale to Rivendell would long ago have become impossible. They are valiant men and keep open the High Pass and the Ford of Carrock. But their tolls are high,' he added with a shake of his head; `and like Beorn of old they are not over fond of dwarves. Still, they are trusty, and that is much in these days.
    I don't read this as Beornings being unwilling to tolerate dwarves. They certainly don't love them, but interacting with dwarves under necessary circumstances seems within the lore for the Beornings. Beorn himself says as much when Thorin and company get about all their silly bowing, thanking, at-your-service-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli on lembas in Lothlorien:
    `Indeed it is,' said Gimli. 'Why it is better than the honey-cakes of the Beornings, and that is great praise, for the Beornings are the best bakers that I know of; but they are none too willing to deal out their cakes to travellers in these days. You are kindly hosts! '
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo wears the ring at Amon Hen:
    But everywhere he looked he saw the signs of war. The Misty Mountains were crawling like anthills: orcs were issuing out of a thousand holes. Under the boughs of Mirkwood there was deadly strife of Elves and Men and fell beasts. The land of the Beornings was aflame; a cloud was over Moria; smoke rose on the borders of Lórien.
    Earlier someone mentioned that there's more written about the war coming to Beorn's lands. Does someone have a passage on this? I couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn with Legolas and Gimli in Rohan:
    ...It was in forgotten years long ago that Eorl the Young brought them out of the North, and their kinship is rather with the Bardings of Dale, and with the Beornings of the Wood, among whom may still be seen many men tall and fair, as are the Riders of Rohan. At least they will not love the Orcs.'
    Rowan quoted this earlier. I think this is an important piece in the race/class/regional group conversation. Beorn was massive, and his kin, though smaller, were still big. The people under Beorn and Grimbeorn might not all have been skin-changers, as others have rightly said, so I'm curious to see how LOTRO explains who the new class actually are. At any rate, this quote doesn't point me toward a new "race" - we have 4 playable races whose differences need no explanation. Gandalf guessed that Beorn might have descended from bears, but he didn't think it likely. Instead Beorn and those like him were imbued with a range of special abilities, which in LOTRO terms isn't that hard to phrase as class skills. In that sense I see where the team is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by From The House of Eorl:
    'Eorl the Young was lord of the Men of Éothéod. That land lay near the sources of Anduin, between the furthest ranges of the Misty Mountains and the northernmost parts of Mirkwood. The Éothéod had moved to those regions in the days of King Eärnil II from lands in the vales of Anduin between the Carrock and the Gladden, and they were in origin close akin to the Beornings and the men of the west-eaves of the forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkwood is divided after the War:
    ...And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lórien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen.
    These last two quotes seem to support what's already been said about "Beorning" as a regionalism for the people who live in Beorn's family's lands. I.e., that everybody from near the Carrock is a Beorning, even if they aren't skilled in skin-changing or here-doggy-go-fetch-us-some-torches. I come to terms with that in the same way I do with seeing so many elves and hobbits running about the world. Some hobbits - we players - are highly skilled warriors, minstrels, or what have you. If you ignore the hundreds of other elves running around with you, the vast majority of every race stay at home and do fairly ordinary things. I'm assuming the team is using the same justification here: some highly skilled Beornings are choosing to go out into the world while most stay at home and don't trust outsiders.

They've said the class is in the very early stages of development. Are there lore landmines that they might dive on? Absolutely. That's why I'm glad they've started the conversation with the players so early. It gives us time to give meaningful feedback on those issues before lore-breaking becomes a concern that can't be undone in the code.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Cambruyn View Post
    Gutted. No housing updates whatsoever?! How hard can it be to add some simple friggin' hooks?!
    Not as easy as you think. Awhile back someone from Turbine had posted on here(sorry cannot remember there name) and mentioned that to add just one hook they would have to add it to each house & to each neighborhood!

Seriously? Siege weapons is the last thing the ettenmoors need......

Oh and how would a warg (a wolf-like animal) be able to control a siege weapon if we think realistically. A bit lore breaking don't you think?
    Selembar - R12 - Minstrel
    PvP Youtube channel
    Kinship : Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Celembar View Post
    Seriously? Siege weapons is the last thing the ettenmoors need......

Oh and how would a warg (a wolf-like animal) be able to control a siege weapon if we think realistically. A bit lore breaking don't you think?
    and there's lots of stuff already in game that people consider lore breaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Lialix View Post
    Let me think .. no .. not at all :-)
    I can't find the fun in chasing around a chicken with a stick .. or is it something else?
    It is not a stick, but a barbecue rotisserie spit... BBQ chicken anyone?
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 87 Warden, Veneur - 62 Hunter, Cneasai - 46 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast