We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Thank you for the Executive Producer Letter. It is really exciting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Paths of the Dead and Dol Amroth: Our second update of the year will kick off a new volume of the Epic Story, featuring the aftermath of the Army of the Dead as they pass through Blackroot Vale. Journey to Dol Amroth, our first Gondorian city and seaside port! You’ll also have five new levels to advance your character.
    A new region, with five new levels to gain, is a welcome surprise. I was expecting we'd have to wait until later in the year for this. The level bump is a nice boost. I just hope we can expect an LI revamp this year so that those new First Ages we'll be getting with this update aren't made obsolete in June.

Dead Marshes: Between updates, we’ll take a small detour to check on wayward Hobbits…
    Very interesting. Will this be landscape, instance-based, session play, or a Book Quest? Does this also mean we can expect more than 4 updates this year?

Pelargir: Our third update of the year will take you to the great port of Pelargir on the delta of Anduin. Join the Army of the Dead to defeat the Corsairs of Umbar! This update will also include five new levels.
    Wonderful! Two zones this year! I cannot express how pleased I am at this. Again, I wasn't expecting a level bump, but that certainly makes questing more fun. Splitting over two updates is a good approach. I cannot wait to see the two new Gondorian cities.

Of Bears and Bees
    Recently we confirmed that LOTRO will be releasing a new class this year. I’m pleased to announce that this class is the Beorning! This will be LOTRO’s first class since the Mines of Moria expansion introduced the Warden and Rune-keeper.

Beornings are noted in The Lord of the Rings trilogy as a race of Man, with close origins to the Rohirrim and the Men of Dale. Most Men are not shape-changers, so we envision the Beorning as a light armor casting class with a focus on control of the battlefield. When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear.

We’ll be sharing early class designs with the new Players Council. Expect more details later this year, as the class progresses through alpha and beta.
    This was a widely-theoried addition, and not surprising. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action, and learning more as we get closer to its launch. I presume this will come in the fourth update?

Housing
    This deserves a special mention. After reviewing all our goals for the year, major Housing changes will not be among them. We reviewed multiple options to update the system – none of them met our standards of quality, and ultimately the system you would want us to build.

LOTRO is about the journey, and first and foremost we want to be expanding and growing the world of Middle-earth. This does not mean there will be no changes to Housing, but don’t expect broad, systemic updates. I’m sorry that we set any other expectations in the past, as we know this is a feature that many of you greatly value.
    It's disappointing that housing won't be getting as much attention as previously stated. I was hoping for freeform placement, at least. Housing in WildStar is one of the features that makes that game so attractive, and while I wasn't expecting a miracle in LOTRO's housing, I was hoping it would be something like what WildStar has.

As always, there are also features that we’re working on but haven’t committed a timeline to. Basically, we’ll ship them when they’re ready. Many of these ideas are based on your feedback, so please keep it coming!

Kinships: The next addition to loot options is a system of crafting tied to your Kinship house, which will encourage more social play. Our goal is to create Kinship deeds that you can complete together.

Combat Rebalancing: You’ve said that high-level combat has gotten too easy, and we agree! With new regions we’ll be taking a hard look at balance and adjusting existing opponents or adding new ones.

PvMP: Why add catapults to the Ettenmoors? Why not? Siege weapons!

Epic Battles: We’ll continue to update and improve this system, along with a new battle in 2014. There are some epic conflicts ahead in the story.

Festivals: Hobnanigans (better known as Chicken Hockey) is a special event for the Bree-fields. You can expect new weekend boosts and events as we go forward.
    All good, very welcome changes and additions. I also presume this isn't everything, since we had hints of some other stuff in the dev chats.

Looking out to the future, our Palantir reveals multiple updates in 2015. Here are two of them!

Osgiliath: The middle of 2015 brings us deeper in Gondor, and to lands directly contested by Sauron’s armies.

Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith: The end of 2015 takes us to one of the defining moments of the War of the Ring, the battle before the walls of Minas Tirith.
    Wonderful! Two more Gondorian cities, and lots to do as we get closer to Mordor. An exciting two years ahead!

Coming to the "end" of the story only gives us freedom to venture to other parts of the world. I don't see it as an end at all.
    This is great to hear. I hope LOTRO has a long future ahead, and that we get to see all manner of places, even the more obscure ones.

Finally, I'd like to state that transparency like this about future plans helps a lot to dispel player fears for the game, and renew the excitement many of us have in playing it. I'm here 7 years now, and I look forward to another 7!

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by Mistermorriss View Post
    Can't wait!

However, with Osgiliath and Minas Tirith (woohoo! etc.) slated for 2015. Do we *gulp* come to the end in 2016?
    i hope not, i really like this game but somewhat of a new-comer

Coming to the "end" of the story only gives us freedom to venture to other parts of the world. I don't see it as an end at all.

like what?

The new class is free or need to buy it in the Store or a region? A little new starter zone would be great for Beornings

Wait a moment, i'm confused- are the new regions in this update free for anyone who bought the HD expac?
    And the new regions in the next updates must be bought by premium players, including the lvl cap?

Well Im glad we are having this update, already seen lots of peeps come back and hoping lots more will follow.

im not overly fussed with the new class but will give it a go when all the hype has passed.

really glad they listened about peeps not wanting catapults in moors but who on earth told them 2 put siege engines there?!?!

looking 4ward 2 playing my freeps again 2 c wots new and totally excited about defiler!

If Beorning is going to be Race of Man only, is ther any chance we can loosen the restrictions on the other man-exclusive class and finally start letting Elves into the captain club?

Quote Originally Posted by rodin12 View Post
    I need to know that race is please urge me much
    Might be disappointing but only Race of Man.

Genuinely excited now looking to the future in LOTRO. Having actively played from 2007 (I couldn't start playing until the August of that year as I had to buy a new pc capable of running LOTRO), I cannot remember feeling more optimistic about the future of LOTRO. I think its fair to say that we have not always received great communication with regards to LOTRO's path, so to have it mapped out so clearly is really quite refreshing.

Personally, my expectations regarding communication between Turbine staff and LOTRO's players are low, as a realist, I am aware that it can often be a thankless task as we all know you cannot please everyone all of the time. So, with that in mind, I would like to thank Aaron, Sapience and all of the Turbine staff, for all of their hard work and consideration of our (LOTRO player's) wishes. A little goes a long way and I am very grateful to see such a massive improvement in being kept in the loop as to what's happening.

In short, keep up the good work folks, here's to future!!!!

While I appreciate the honesty and more open communication that allows us players to get a view of LotRO's future, I can't help but think this roadmap for 2014 is a bit of a middle finger to the players. Let me explain:

Based on Bullroarer notes for U13, the following changes are being made with respect to loot:
    *First age symbols are now available to craft level 95 first age weapons
    *We will be losing the ability to get epic quality necklaces and pockets from Big Battles (sorry, I just can't call them "Epic Battles" :P)
    *We will be gaining the ability to get epic quality earrings, rings, and bracelets from Big Battles

Suppose I go grind my butt off in Big Battles and skirmish raids to outfit my character(s) with first age weapons and epic Big Battle jewelry. The SECOND UPDATE OF THE YEAR (presumably U14) will likely make those items worthless as they will now be 5 levels under level cap. So probably around August (~4 months from U13), I will have to grind out Big Battles and skirm raids AGAIN, to outfit my character(s) for level 100. This also assumes that the RNG likes me enough to actually give me any sort of useful drops** let alone epic jewelry drops from the Big Battle reward boxes. And then in the third update of the year (presumably U15), I get to do this all over again for level 105!

Unless there is information that is being held back at this time with respect to the first age/epic jewelry grind, I see no reason to continue running any sort of instance (Big Battle/Skirmish Raid/Classic Instance) in search of "rare drop" rewards as they will be completely obsolete within 4 months. I understand the gear treadmill is a tactic that MMOs use to keep people playing/grinding, but I think it's a little ridiculous to have 2 points in time this year where we will have to grind out new gear due to level cap raises. I am disappoint.

**As a Champion, 2/3 of my trait lines are DPS lines. I have received at least a dozen each of the cyan Hardened pocket and necklace from Big Battle reward boxes and I'd estimate that ~75% of the time, I get a cyan Hardened item.

Edit: Another disappointment I just thought of. Why should I buy the new region coming with U13 with TP, grind out Fangorn rep and tokens, get the single use recipe that can yield epic helm/shoulders, and spend TP (995 I believe?) for the 100% crafting crit scroll in order to get a level 95 epic quality item that will likely be obsolete with the level cap increase coming with (presumably) U14?
    Last edited by Soccer55; Apr 14 2014 at 10:47 AM.

To the folks that are freaking out, and making "WoW" comparisons etc.

"When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear."

To me, this reads as a brief animation, or a state that is only maintained at FULL rage bar i.e. briefly. This does not mean there will be a bunch of bears running around towns, or people permanently shape-shifted.

Having a Shelob instance would be brilliant. Make your way through her lair and fight her at the end.
    Indeed, really hoping this happens
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by vodpraetor View Post
    So other than the Big, Large, Grand, Epic Battles - no new instances? We will have explored Rohan and into Gondor without a single Raid? I'm sincerely disheartened. My faith in and love for this game is fading fast...
    They have stated previously that different types of content would be implemented when they are suitable e.g. Mounted Combat in Rohan or Epic Battles at Helms Deep. That also means that when the story takes us to somewhere like Shelob's Lair that could entail classic raid style. Where did anyone say what you are accusing them of?

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Murtanion View Post
    Suprised this got past Tolkien Enterprises and the licensing issues. Just doesn't feel right in a lore sense.
    Well, TE licensed a synopsis like that of Shadow of Mordor. So I guess they'll license anything that is somewhat loosely based on LotR without bothering too much. It's revenue, after all.

I am however quite pleased with the way Gondor is approached. Passing along the sea before reaching Minas Tirith and Osgiliath was my preferred choice. However being so close to the sea will be dangerous for my Elven characters Very excited how the Paths of the Dead will turn out as well.

Interesting stuff on the list. But I am disappointed that you couldn't do better than a Beorning, aka "we-must-also-have-a-druid" decision. You've let other MMOs set your pace beginning with the RK, aka "we-must-also-have-a-spellcaster" decision. It is also distressing that I almost guessed the class focus right, putting my money on light armor melee DPS / CC. I only dismissed it because I underestimated your willingness to rework ALL loot everywhere, because light gear is presently a tactical-only domain.

While two 5-level increments make sense in light of smaller updates, it is bad because of LIs. I am simply not going to do a second-age and/or first-age item grind twice in such a short span. I'll keep using 95s until we hit the 105 threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by tsevrah View Post
    To the folks that are freaking out, and making "WoW" comparisons etc.

"When a Beorning gathers sufficient rage, they may transform into a mighty bear."

To me, this reads as a brief animation, or a state that is only maintained at FULL rage bar i.e. briefly. This does not mean there will be a bunch of bears running around towns, or people permanently shape-shifted.
    That bit I did see as a positive for sure.
    Even if it stays enraged and bear shaped in combat you won't have 50 of them running around Bree.
    Now give me the hobbit version that transforms into a badger!

Quote Originally Posted by ParrotGuy View Post
    Wait a moment, i'm confused- are the new regions in this update free for anyone who bought the HD expac?
    You are correct - the Update 13 new regions are free to those who bought HD.

And the new regions in the next updates must be bought by premium players, including the lvl cap?
    The regions are free to VIP, but Premiums and Free players will need to buy them. Rowan stated in an earlier post that the new level caps are free to all players.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Lialix View Post
    Chicken Hockey? I can't find the right words to emphasis how disgusting that is ...
    I believe "awesome" is the word you are searching for

Kinships: The next addition to loot options is a system of crafting tied to your Kinship house, which will encourage more social play. Our goal is to create Kinship deeds that you can complete together.

This means that the kinship deeds will be tied just to some kind of kinship items crafting? How it is connected to "loot options"? Those will be crafted kinship house decorations or something else? Will be there enough deeds to fulfill? Generally - will it provide long-term fun for kinship members with some interesting rewards (and I don't mean powerful necessarily, just interesting)?

I am definitely looking forward to these, it's something kinships really need...
    ~ [url=http://daleshadows.eu]Dale Shadows[/url] CZ/SK kinship ~

Quote Originally Posted by Thorcar View Post
    I believe "awesome" is the word you are searching for
    Let me think .. no .. not at all :-)
    I can't find the fun in chasing around a chicken with a stick .. or is it something else?

As you might imagine from my forum name, I'm very excited about the new areas, although none of my characters are high enough level to go anywhere near them any time soon!

Housing
    This deserves a special mention. After reviewing all our goals for the year, major Housing changes will not be among them. We reviewed multiple options to update the system – none of them met our standards of quality, and ultimately the system you would want us to build.

LOTRO is about the journey, and first and foremost we want to be expanding and growing the world of Middle-earth. This does not mean there will be no changes to Housing, but don’t expect broad, systemic updates. I’m sorry that we set any other expectations in the past, as we know this is a feature that many of you greatly value.
    This was a major disappointment for me. I'd been looking forward to the housing update. Held off buying a house for my main on Landroval, because I was waiting for the new and improved house. What I take away from Aaron's statement is that housing is not ever going to be revamped in any meaningful way, since they can't find a way to institute a major change. I don't think the team has the resources or the time to deal with it, what with all the things they have to do in Gondor. I just wish they'd not ever set those expectations in the past not once, but several times. I do appreciate Aaron's candor, but I can't help but feel more than a little miffed at the repeated broken promises.

Letting us buy the houses, limited though they are, for our alts would probably go a way towards making me feel better about the business. Make it a VIP perk.

The Beorning-meh. I'll watch to see how they play before I decide if I ever want to run one. I didn't think we really needed a new class, the bases all seemed to be covered. Reserving judgment on that one.

Having a Shelob instance would be brilliant. Make your way through her lair and fight her at the end.
    I don't know. We already had two spider instances recently and it might be tough to fit a fight in the lore as we couldn't kill her.

Looks like the naysayers were wrong!

I'm interested in how they will implement it. A light-armor cc class is not what I expected; that's too much like LM. Doesn't seem appropriate for a berserker, but we'll see..
    It is true that the first few moments of many raid pulls can be the most difficult. So, if a Beorning can help get control over that, and then switch to dps/bear-form once things are under control, then there will certainly be a role for them in raids.

Changing into bear-form only after building up enough battle-rage at least solves the problem of shaped-changed bears running around Bree and such.
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Level caps are free to everyone. The quest content coming with new updates is free to VIPs. I hope this clarifies.
    Thank you for the clarification

Those who don't agree with this are welcome to cry In the corner, heheh.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001e0eee/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

For the love of Arda, DON'T call it, 'Beorning' ...

... please, just don't.

Call it, 'Skin-changer' (this is what Gandalf had said Beorn was: imagine, 'Beorn's the name, Skin-changing's the game!'); call it, 'Shape-shifter/changer'; call it, 'Animist'; or, 'Bear-walker/brother'; or, 'Totem/Spirit-warrior'; call it, 'Fred'; just don't call it, 'Beorning'.

Like many others, I had anticipated "an answer" to that-class-that-that-other-game-has, that would also invoke the popularity of the most-recent cinematic travesty, erm, I mean, release: 'Skin-changer' is no surprise; I will confess, however, that I am very curious as to the implementation; what job (-composite) will this new class satisfy?

I guess we wait and see ...

Oh, btw, please don't call it, 'Beorning'. Please.

HoG

Lots of things to look forward 2!
    ~ WhiteTalpa ~

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast