We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Quest title colors--what do they signify?

    Hey y'all,
    So I was just wondering what the different color titles of quests signifies? I've come to understand that if it is colored grey it means it is well below my character's level, but what do the other ones mean (ie sky blue, blue, green, ect)? Thanks for answering another noob question!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    303
    It's not really very well documented, I know a few people who couldn't figure this out either, so don't worry.

    I see it as a sort of "temperature" meter - so cool temperatures are low or under your level, white is on level and hot temperatures are above level. This applies to enemies too.


    <9 Levels ----------------------------------------------------->9 Levels

    Grey - Green - Light Blue - Blue - White - Yellow - Orange - Red - Purple
    Last edited by Kenomica.; Apr 04 2014 at 02:25 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenomica. View Post
    It's not really very well documented, I know a few people who couldn't figure this out either, so don't worry.

    I see it as a sort of "temperature" meter - so cool temperatures are low or under your level, white is on level and hot temperatures are above level. This applies to enemies too.


    <9 Levels ----------------------------------------------------->9 Levels

    Grey - Green - Light Blue - Blue - White - Yellow - Orange - Red - Purple
    That is one of the most simple, accurate and visually intuitive posts I've seen. Kudos.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenomica. View Post
    It's not really very well documented, I know a few people who couldn't figure this out either, so don't worry.

    I see it as a sort of "temperature" meter - so cool temperatures are low or under your level, white is on level and hot temperatures are above level. This applies to enemies too.


    <9 Levels ----------------------------------------------------->9 Levels

    Grey - Green - Light Blue - Blue - White - Yellow - Orange - Red - Purple
    Very nice way to explain it.

    When I was new to Lotro, I had no idea that quest/mob colors actually meant anything. I wandered into the Lone-Lands underlevel and saw a red-name goblin walking around. He didn't seem to have that much morale, so I attacked him. I ended up dead. That was the first hint I had that the colors meant anything, but it took me quite a bit longer to really understand it. (The next hint I got was when I encountered a purple enemy. That didn't go too well either. )

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,733
    Since my first exposure to red and purple were the guards in Archet, when I first saw red and purple later, I thought it meant they were friendly.

    They weren't.

  7. #7
    The color of the quest and opponent will indicate the adjustment to the base experience point award for completion. As you complete content that is lower than you - the award goes down. Doing light blue, green or worst gray quests are greatly reduced. Killing gray opponents gives you no experience points. Killing purple opponents also gives you no experience points because you must have brought a high level friend to do the killing while you watched.

    If you want to get close to the base value for content and critters you want to do Dark Blue, White, Yellow, Orange or Red. You will not find many Purple quests offered to you. The vast majority of the quests require that you be no more than 5 levels under the challenge level of the quest.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    If you want to get close to the base value for content and critters you want to do Dark Blue, White, Yellow, Orange or Red. You will not find many Purple quests offered to you. The vast majority of the quests require that you be no more than 5 levels under the challenge level of the quest.
    If you want the maximum reward, do yellow and orange quests. Red isn't optimal xp-wise, but offers a better challenge.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    Since my first exposure to red and purple were the guards in Archet, when I first saw red and purple later, I thought it meant they were friendly.

    They weren't.
    For your readers--if it doesn't have "Free Peoples" under the name...run, don't walk, in the other direction, especially if you're alone. Being able to complete a red-labeled quest is no guarantee you can tackle a landscape mob and survive the experience. This is especially important if you're working on your survival deeds at low levels.

    (Note to self: Take own advice and stop asking small warbands to come out and play when adventuring alone. It never ends well.)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    Since my first exposure to red and purple were the guards in Archet, when I first saw red and purple later, I thought it meant they were friendly.

    They weren't.
    Haha that's hilarious but totally understandable; I thought the other way around, that they were bad guys and tried to attack them. Of course once the game kept saying they weren't valid targets I figured out they weren't enemies.

    Thanks for the help guys!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    (Note to self: Take own advice and stop asking small warbands to come out and play when adventuring alone. It never ends well.)
    Cledwun and his scurvy crew have taken me out several times over the past couple of weeks! They seem to just creep up so fast, I don't get time to flee. And they have all those slows that make escape feel like molasses.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by katia0203 View Post
    Haha that's hilarious but totally understandable; I thought the other way around, that they were bad guys and tried to attack them. Of course once the game kept saying they weren't valid targets I figured out they weren't enemies.

    Thanks for the help guys!
    If it makes you feel better, I kept clicking on them in an effort to talk to them my first time through, with as much success as I'd have had IRL trying to talk to one of the palace guards at Buckingham Palace. I don't remember why I tried, now. Probably a quest instruction I misunderstood. Whenever I go back with my minstrel I'm sure they laugh and point at her in remembrance when my back is turned.

    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Cledwun and his scurvy crew have taken me out several times over the past couple of weeks! They seem to just creep up so fast, I don't get time to flee. And they have all those slows that make escape feel like molasses.
    Gimtog was my downfall yesterday. I figured: I'm a level-80 minstrel. They're only red-names. It's a wolf and 4 allies--what could possibly go wrong? I can handle a small pack of wolves by myself--I'll just keep self-healing. Yeah, right.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    If you want the maximum reward, do yellow and orange quests. Red isn't optimal xp-wise, but offers a better challenge.
    Reds have a higher base award than an orange which has a higher base than a yellow. If you are after the highest possible number of experience points per turn in reds will often give the same or more points than an orange. The opponents for a red quests will typically be reds which will give you more kill experiences points than a orange opponent.

    It all depends on what you are after - experience points - challenge.

    On my Minstrel I did not do the Entwash quests. Sutcrofts was not unlocked. Too low to do Hytbold. I went to Wildermore. I could have gone back to Entwash. I was tired of doing Entwash quests with other characters. I wanted something different to do.

    Quests go up in difficulty from Dark Blue - White - Yellow - Orange - Red. Often they take longer to complete. The base award goes up steadily. The difficulty bonus goes up until perhaps Orange. It is an interesting problem to solve if you goal is to maximize the number of experience points earned per hour of game play. I only play a character as long as the VIP bonus is active.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Cledwun and his scurvy crew have taken me out several times over the past couple of weeks! They seem to just creep up so fast, I don't get time to flee. And they have all those slows that make escape feel like molasses.
    Turn on auto remote quest acceptance and make sure anytime you get the Cledwhun quest ping you immediately delete it from your log. Now you have a Cledwhun Warning System. I haven't died from him since I started doing that. And I died lots before.
    100 Warden / RK / LM / Captain / Guardian / Hunter / Burg / Champ / Minstrel
    Brandywine

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynok View Post
    Turn on auto remote quest acceptance and make sure anytime you get the Cledwhun quest ping you immediately delete it from your log. Now you have a Cledwhun Warning System. I haven't died from him since I started doing that. And I died lots before.
    Of course, even with doing that, the auto-bestowed quest isn't going to reappear until the standard 5 minutes after canceling it.
    So, if you're solely depending on it, you'll be flying blind for those 5 minutes.

    Best just to keep an eye on the mini map.

  16. #16
    I'm coming to the realization that I have mixed feelings about the lvl classification of a quest. Sometimes an orange quest is easier to accomplish than a white or even some blues. I mean clearly the reds seem to be more difficult than I can handle at times, but the blue-white-yellow-orange quests are almost similar in difficulty. At least that's what I'm seeing.

    What do you guys think? Are the quests leveled appropriately or does this aspect need more work?

  17. #17
    The recommended level of a quest is one thing... But, quests are further divided into recommend group sizes; solo, small fellowship (3-man), fellowship (6-man) and raid (12-man).

    To see what they're listed as, you can see the size recommendation on the Quest panel.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by katia0203 View Post
    What do you guys think? Are the quests leveled appropriately or does this aspect need more work?
    HaleElven has it right. A small fellowship quest will be harder than a solo quest at the same level, and a fellowship quest harder still.

    You should also be aware that since the changes to skills and class specialization made for the Helm's Deep expansion, all players are currently overpowered relative to the content. PLEASE be warned that with Monday's patch, Update 13, questing is supposed to be more challenging. Sapience has said that they're not finished with the rebalancing passes and we should expect more changes in future updates.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload