We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

is it worth going for an iMac for playing lotro?

I'm thinking about getting an iMac for playing lotro. I'm leaving Windows after the "end" of XP and I always wanted a Mac, so it seems the time is right

Thing is, after going through the lotro mac forums, I'm kind of afraid that an iMac is not a good option for playing lotro... Is that correct?

Lotro is my number one game and I don't play much else (a little Total War: Medieval II, a little Quake 3 and that's basically it).

So, should I buy an iMac for playing lotro?

Will I be able to use the best graphics the game has to offer?

Will it crash a lot?

Are there any PvMP problems using a Mac?

I plan to buy the best config there is, because buying a Mac is a long time dream. But if I can't really play lotro, especially PvMP, I'll leave the dream for later.

Any advice on what should I do?

Is lotro on the iMac just bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasagabaster View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an iMac for playing lotro. I'm leaving Windows after the "end" of XP and I always wanted a Mac, so it seems the time is right
    This statement alone is reason enough to get an iMac. If you do not, you will always regret not making the change.

Before I answer your specific questions let me say -- "The end of XP," like the Y2K "problem" is incredibly over hyped. XP runs on some 90% of ATM's worldwide, the financial community has stated, they are simply NOT going to replace all of their hardware necessary to upgrade; they will continue to use XP until the "hardware replacement cycle" dictates an upgrade. Most Banks have already contracted with Microsoft for "extended support."
    The important lesson here -- XP will continue to run until the HARDWARE fails. End-of-Support by Microsoft is a red-herring. As a Corporation, Microsoft MUST reduce the number of "supported" operating systems. Apple did it many years ago. If you have a PowerPC based Mac, you are "unsupported." If you are not running Mavericks 10.9, you are "unsupporoted." Those are simply simple facts of business.

One assumes that your system was purchased "new" with XP installed -- which nominally means it is 5+ years old. A true fossil in PC terms. The changes in CPUs alone (not to mention Graphics, Ram, discs, etc.) have been incredible since 2007 when LOTRO was released. A new Personal Computer (Mac or Windows) today is so radically different when compared to that 5 year old system that there is no comparison!

To upgrade from XP, therefore you need to go to Windows 8 - which is really your only option, as new hardware is sold only with Windows 8. (Yes, there are copies of Vista and Windows 7 sitting on vendors shelves which they will happily sell you -- but they are "not supported" either.)

This "upgrade" is not an upgrade, but a "Conversion." Ignoring Vista, which is an outlier, there is virtually no difference in "look and feel" between Windows 7 and Windows 8, however, neither bears any similarity to XP... Have you heard of "Tiles?" So, if you are going to learn a new operating system, it doesn't matter if you are going to learn a new version of Windows or OSX -- they will each be different from XP (but surprisingly not so different from each other.)

This is also true in terms of "other software" besides LOTRO. The versions which you have which run on XP will need to be "upgraded" themselves into versions that are compatible with the new OS.

So, now on to your specific questions.
    Thing is, after going through the lotro mac forums, I'm kind of afraid that an iMac is not a good option for playing lotro... Is that correct?

Lotro is my number one game and I don't play much else (a little Total War: Medieval II, a little Quake 3 and that's basically it).

So, should I buy an iMac for playing lotro?

Will I be able to use the best graphics the game has to offer?
    As a Founder/Lifetime player, I have been playing LOTRO on "a Mac" (only recently on an iMac) since pre-beta in 2006!
    How?
    Easy. There are two techniques for playing LOTRO on the Mac -- one is the "old-way" -- using WINE, or since the release of Riders of Rohan, the new Mac Client.
    I played -- and supported LOTRO via Codeweaver''s Crossover (its current name) which is a commercially supported version of WINE -- in the beginning. WINE is basically XP.
    Today, since Apple dropped the PowerPC architecture in favor of Intel (the same as Windows) that option is simply "easier."

I still switch back and forth between the two. And yes, there are significant differences between the two options. Using WINE, one is significantly limited in Graphics simply because WINE provides the DX Graphics capabilities known to LOTRO and is basically independent of OS X in that regard. The Mac Client, by comparison is an OpenGL implementation which runs natively on OSX.

There are two answers about the Graphics.
    One. You can see the best image that LOTRO has to offer on the Mac. Compared to a non-gaming Windows box, the graphics capability of any Mac is superior to any PC you would buy from Best Buy(tripple-ugh) or even as a custom system from Dell.

Two, Turbine totally refuses to discuss technical specs about the LOTRO engine, i.e. about the Graphics situation. Just recently, they "finally" (after 6.5 years) issues revised "minimum system requirements.
    They can be found here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...m+requirements
    The only "no-no" is "Intel integrated chipsets."

And, needless to say, those specs do not include any reference to a Mac.
    Will it crash a lot?

Are there any PvMP problems using a Mac?

I plan to buy the best config there is, because buying a Mac is a long time dream. But if I can't really play lotro, especially PvMP, I'll leave the dream for later.

Any advice on what should I do?

Is lotro on the iMac just bad?
    I bought the "top of the line" (always the best plan of action) back in late 2010:
    27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 <--- NOTE memory Clock speed, faster is better
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB <--- NOTE amount of Vram, more is better
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

My current MTBF is 45-90 minutes with the Mac Client. Not much different from play via WINE.

I haven't been in the Moors since the access level was 40.
    From what I can tell from the forums and my own Kin's activities (we have both a tribe and routinely run Freep groups), the "gotchas" for PvMP on the Mac are identical to those for the PC -- no cloaks, Floaty names, pets, etc.

One last comment -- the biggest performance gain comes from using a SSD -- Solid State Disk! I play based on an external, 7200 RPM FireWire 800 drive.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I play on a 2012 iMac with a fusion drive. By playing LOTRO regularly it's always run from the SSD side and loads very quickly.

I installed the game via Steam. All the graphics settings are on high and before I disabled post processing effects the game would crash after a couple of hours. With PPE turned off I have crashed twice in 6 months - both times in different Helm's Deep big battles.

The only downside is all the bodies of water look terrible.
    Crickhollow
    Lv 100 Loxsley Man Hunter
    Lv 77 Vetyran Man Captain
    Lv 75 Tungsten Dwarf Guardian

I was just reading the specs on the current iMacs at Everymac.com

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html

The "Late 2013" iMac -- WoW!!!

8 MB shared level 3 cache,
    8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-12800) installed in pairs (two 4 GB modules),
    a 1 TB (7200 RPM) hard drive, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Although you already got great answers, i'll tell you my experience to finish convincing you . I have a Mac mini mid 2010 with 8GB ram and i can play the whole game with High graphics. Have no problems at all. So if you buy a Good Mac as you say, you can be pretty sure it will run great

I have a late 2013 fusion drive, and it works great. Especially lately! Since the U13 it hasn't crashed once, but before that it crashed regularly every 30 mins.

I've had a great time playing on my iMac, and this is only the second Mac I've owned. The only thing that I've had difficulty with is .abc files, but hopefully the forum will help me with that. I'd say go for it if you're tempted. I love my iMac and the game seems to be running very well.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000203a45/01000/signature.png]Narquelion[/charsig]