We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Extreme Lag in The Great River and Rohan

Hello,
    I've been getting unplayable FPS in the Rohan and Great River regions in the game. In places like Moria, I can get a constant 60. But in these regions, my FPS drops down to 10-15 and it's pretty much unplayable.
    It's not my hardware, I can run Battlefield 4 maxed out with a constant 60 FPS, and it's not a heat issue either- my CPU temps never pass 50c and my GPU never passes 70.
    My specs (only listed things that might be of interest here, ask me if you need more details)
    CPU: AMD FX 8150
    Memory: 10GB Micron Technology DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    Video Card: HP Radeon HD 7950
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    More details if you need them, I'm not going to copy (what I think are... Why would an optical drive make me lag?) irrelevant specs here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ODT
    This is NOT an issue with war-steeds; if I use them somewhere like The Shire for example, I still get 60.
    If you need more information, let me know.

Bump... need help with this

The game world is composed of several large blocks of landscape. Each of these blocks is different in the amount of effort that is required to render each frame by your PC.

You have the lowest visually intense landscape in the regions that deployed with the launch of the game in 2007.

In 2008, Eregion, Lothlorien and Moria came out as a step in visual quality and beauty and a performance hit on our PCs. Expansion 1

In 2009, Mirkwood came out with a second step up and a performance hit over Moria Expansion 2.

Great River and Dunland is a third step up in visual quality with a performance hit over Mirkwood. Expansion 3.

East Rohan and Wildermore is a fourth step in visual quality with a performance hit over Dunland and Great River. Expansion 4. This expansion introduced Mounted Combat for our characters and for our opponents. The Mounted Combat feature puts a lot of strain on Turbine's servers, our PCs and our internet connections.

West Rohan - Helms Deep - Expansion 5 - does not seem to be any worse than East Rohan.

You need to look into these possible solutions:

1) Get a SSD and put Lotro on the SSD. The churn of looking the textures - the visual elements into memory from the disk drive can really bog down the frame rate.

2) Lower your graphic setting so that each frame takes less work from your PC to render.

3) Verify that your internet connection is stable with a reasonable latency and low packet loss rate.

4) Kill all non essential processes like Skype to free resources.

Note: War Steeds outside of Mounted Combat areas do not generate much in the way of a performance hit because the Mounted Combat feature is turned off within the server and your PC software. All you have is the movement functionality.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    1) Get a SSD and put Lotro on the SSD. The churn of looking the textures - the visual elements into memory from the disk drive can really bog down the frame rate.
    A "slow" hard drive would not cause this issue.
    My FPS is at 10 even when new parts of the world are not loading. Standing still gives me the same frames per second.
    Plus, my laptop with a 5400RPM hard drive does not get this issue, and my desktop has a 7200RPM drive.
    2) Lower your graphic setting so that each frame takes less work from your PC to render.
    I have quite a decent computer and can max games that might even be included "tech demos" at 1080p. A game with simply decent graphics such as this one should not cause issues.
    3) Verify that your internet connection is stable with a reasonable latency and low packet loss rate.
    Can you please at least read my post before replying with a post that immediately assumes that I know absolutely nothing about computers?
    Internet does not cause a low frame rate.
    4) Kill all non essential processes like Skype to free resources.
    Again, assuming I have a weak computer and that I know absolutely nothing.
    Note: War Steeds outside of Mounted Combat areas do not generate much in the way of a performance hit because the Mounted Combat feature is turned off within the server and your PC software. All you have is the movement functionality.
    I lag while not mounted.

This game is not maxing out my computer; the temperatures don't reach nearly as high as they do like other games, such as Skyrim.
    The issues is that my hardware is detecting it as a "weak" game and still running at idle clock speeds.
    I need a solution as how to fix this and get my graphics card and CPU to detect LOTRO as an intense program, not a half-assed answer telling me that I know absolutely nothing and not being helpful.

Sorry if this sounded rude, but there's nothing that annoys me more then someone assuming that I know nothing about stuff and treating me like an idiot. I built this computer. I am not an idiot.
    Last edited by Tezliov; Apr 10 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tezliov View Post
    Bump... need help with this

A "slow" hard drive would not cause this issue.
    My FPS is at 10 even when new parts of the world are not loading. Standing still gives me the same frames per second.
    Plus, my laptop with a 5400RPM hard drive does not get this issue, and my desktop has a 7200RPM drive.

I have quite a decent computer and can max games that might even be included "tech demos" at 1080p. A game with simply decent graphics such as this one should not cause issues.

Can you please at least read my post before replying with a post that immediately assumes that I know absolutely nothing about computers?
    Internet does not cause a low frame rate.

Again, assuming I have a weak computer and that I know absolutely nothing.

I lag while not mounted.

This game is not maxing out my computer; the temperatures don't reach nearly as high as they do like other games, such as Skyrim.
    The issues is that my hardware is detecting it as a "weak" game and still running at idle clock speeds.
    I need a solution as how to fix this and get my graphics card and CPU to detect LOTRO as an intense program, not a half-assed answer telling me that I know absolutely nothing and not being helpful.

Sorry if this sounded rude, but there's nothing that annoys me more then someone assuming that I know nothing about stuff and treating me like an idiot. I built this computer. I am not an idiot.
    Good luck with that.

in your process why dont you set lotro to high priority. maybe it will help. if not well uninstall and play battlefield 4.

Quote Originally Posted by lungvin View Post
    in your process why dont you set lotro to high priority. maybe it will help.
    Surprise! There's no setting for that!
    If you mean setting it as a 3D program in Catalyst Control Center then that didn't work.

no im talking about windows processes. not your 3d card program. in your windows processes, look for lotro.exe or turbinelauncher.exe find it right click it and go to set priority to above normal or high. surprise...... there it is. it might be nice also to not tell people they are stupid when you are the one on the technical forums asking for help. Most people that even glance here wanna help on issues other players are having so turbine can concentrate on hamster feeding.

after reviewing this video on your video card, i can only assume its something you did, or it isnt video card related. http://youtu.be/hzn777OxVVU

Surprise! There's no setting for that!
    If you mean setting it as a 3D program in Catalyst Control Center then that didn't work.
    First, nice way to talk to people who are honestly trying to help. That'll get you far in life.

Second, there has been a reported issue (my wife's puter did this, too) where people have very low frame rates. Go into the troubleshooting tab, (I'll assume you know where it is) and bump the engine speed down one notch. That has been show to work previously. I believe you can bump it back up to full after a bit.