We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Thank you for the current sale on the XP disabler!

    I just wanted to express my appreciation of the current 75% off sale on the XP disabler. Finally, there is a very nice sale for us slow-levellers! It was a very nice surprise when I checked out the Store sales page today.

    *goes back to frenzied TP-grinding to buy a few more for her future alts*
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    I just wanted to express my appreciation of the current 75% off sale on the XP disabler. Finally, there is a very nice sale for us slow-levellers! It was a very nice surprise when I checked out the Store sales page today.

    *goes back to frenzied TP-grinding to buy a few more for her future alts*
    I cannot agree more... Was very happy to see the sale and bought a couple of the disablers... At the same time, I think the normal prize of nearly 500 TP is exaggerated... there are some threads where this is discussed and alternatives proposed. Why not leaving the prize at 75 TP or 100 TP for example?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinuil View Post
    I cannot agree more... Was very happy to see the sale and bought a couple of the disablers... At the same time, I think the normal prize of nearly 500 TP is exaggerated... there are some threads where this is discussed and alternatives proposed. Why not leaving the prize at 75 TP or 100 TP for example?
    Because according to Turbine, only a small amount of the player base wanted this, they decided to go ahead & create this however they wanted to charge a weekly price that was really high. Players complained & wanted something more permanent so you got this. By lowering the price permanently to 75 or 100tps, chances are there not gonna make much money off it. Most I think would just use there saved up tps, monthly stipend or just farm the points. So if you have most of that small player base choosing one of those options, Turbine is not making much profit off this.

    Be thankful this went on sale at 75% because I really did not think they'd go that high on this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    642
    Third best item in the store, even at full price. I bought 6 this last sale and have already made back half of the TP I spent on them. Thanks Turbine.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

    "There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    Because according to Turbine, only a small amount of the player base wanted this, they decided to go ahead & create this however they wanted to charge a weekly price that was really high. Players complained & wanted something more permanent so you got this. By lowering the price permanently to 75 or 100tps, chances are there not gonna make much money off it. Most I think would just use there saved up tps, monthly stipend or just farm the points. So if you have most of that small player base choosing one of those options, Turbine is not making much profit off this.

    Be thankful this went on sale at 75% because I really did not think they'd go that high on this.
    Are there any data about the exact amount of players who use the xp-disabler? Of course, if one looks at it from the perspective as described in your post, then for Turbine the high prize for this item makes sense... So let's hope for some more sales in the future...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    Because according to Turbine, only a small amount of the player base wanted this, they decided to go ahead & create this however they wanted to charge a weekly price that was really high. Players complained & wanted something more permanent so you got this. By lowering the price permanently to 75 or 100tps, chances are there not gonna make much money off it. Most I think would just use there saved up tps, monthly stipend or just farm the points. So if you have most of that small player base choosing one of those options, Turbine is not making much profit off this.

    Be thankful this went on sale at 75% because I really did not think they'd go that high on this.
    The reasons why Turbine was not going to create an XP Disabler before the store came along are no longer valid. Once the item was developed, it created an opportunity to test those assumptions and - I suspect - they found that their initial assumptions were somewhat mistaken.

    For example, a primary objection was the thousands of help support calls they would get by players saying, "I disabled XP and now I can't get to the next level without grinding my way through a whole level." I would bet that, since creating the XP Disabler, a person with one hand can count the number of times they addressed this issue from a real customer.

    They may have also discovered that users of XP Disablers tend to spend more money on other things - cosmetics, storage, and the like. The reason being is that a person using an XP Disabler makes more of a commitment to the game and, as such, sees it as more worthwhile to spend money.

    Indeed, there is reason to believe that the huge sale in XP Disablers may well have been motivated by these types of discoveries - the way that a store puts milk and eggs on sale. The customers who buy these things on sale tend to buy a lot of other things as well.

    This is just a theory. Though the principle is sound - that there is no reason to assume that Turbine's reasons for not building the XP Disabler earlier were entirely sound.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    They may have also discovered that users of XP Disablers tend to spend more money on other things - cosmetics, storage, and the like. The reason being is that a person using an XP Disabler makes more of a commitment to the game and, as such, sees it as more worthwhile to spend money.
    I understand. But would that not be a perfectly good reason to re-think the entire sales and prize policy regarding the disablers. People who use them tend to spend more time in a region, cause they level up slower, and tend to be "more into the game lore" - just my own assumption and hard to verify, I know - cause they do not outlevel the regions so fast... I know that everybody has her/his own style of playing (some prefer levelling fast, others slow), but would it be for a game company not preferable to have a certain segment of players who are looking for a "slow experience", enjoying all the game content as offered... But then, the disabler is probably anyway not the right tool but the "game speed" as such (don't know how to name that differently) would need to be adjusted.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload