We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Consignment Vendors...

One of the best ideas for handling loot comes from Asheron's Call 2... I suggest an enhanced version of the Consignment Shops be applied to Vendors...
    For those not familiar with AC2's consignment shops it's an easy way to set market prices on loot items. If for instance I've collected a bunch of hides while hunting. Using a trading vendor you open up "hides" to see the going rates and add yours to the "pool" (normally a little lower for quick sale or higher if you can wait to make more money...

I'm not quite sure how this would add to the current AH system. Could you please explain the advantages of consignment vendors as compared to the AH?
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    I'm not quite sure how this would add to the current AH system. Could you please explain the advantages of consignment vendors as compared to the AH?
    It sets a fair market value of items much quicker... You don't have to search individual selling price. Say you just finished a quest to kill 10 boar you return to turn in the quest and there is a tanning vendor near the quest giver, you talk to the vendor and find that there are 10 hides selling for $25, 100 hides selling for $26 and 1000 hides selling for $30... You want your money fast so you add your hides at $24 or you have time so you add you hides to the $30 pool. When the hides are bought you get your money...

If you add your hides to the $30 pool you don't have to wait till the 1000 already in the pool sell but I don't have the math on the payout right now... This is a system that was working and well received for AC2 but came to late to save it.

I've seen several requests over the years in which people asked for a transactions history for the current AH system which would show everyone interested the average price for which a given item sold on the AH of a given server during the last -let's say- 30 days. That would also give people an idea of how much something might sell for reasonably quickly and I think it might be less hassle than adding this kind of new functionality to NPCs.

Another move into the same general direction might be to extend the maximum possible posting time on the AH so a given offer had more time to get sold, possibly at a higher price than it would sell for in the current maximum posting period of 48 hours.

Would something along these lines work for you if fiddling with the NPCs were too much work for the devs?
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    I've seen several requests over the years in which people asked for a transactions history for the current AH system which would show everyone interested the average price for which a given item sold on the AH of a given server during the last -let's say- 30 days. That would also give people an idea of how much something might sell for reasonably quickly and I think it might be less hassle than adding this kind of new functionality to NPCs.

Another move into the same general direction might be to extend the maximum possible posting time on the AH so a given offer had more time to get sold, possibly at a higher price than it would sell for in the current maximum posting period of 48 hours.

Would something along these lines work for you if fiddling with the NPCs were too much work for the devs?
    Well thanks for replying to my thread but one again my ideas mostly fall on deaf ears..

Long ago I tried EQ2 when the end was near for AC2 and even though it's graphics were better than LOTRO something was missing and I returned to AC2 till the end...
    I've put off buying ESO but I see it in my future and I know from the beta that it will kill LOTRO as WoW killed AC2... Thank goodness it should kill WoW as well..

All I have left for Turbine at this point is to say "Consignment Vending Works"... I logged into AC2 last night and after spending all my gold on crafting armor I went out on a few quests and "Butchered" all my kills (it's a why of getting crafting items like bone, hides, sinew and such...) I went to the Vendor and consigned all my loot and before the night was over I had 300k gold from it being bought.... This is on a "dead" game!!!

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by ansuz View Post
    One of the best ideas for handling loot comes from Asheron's Call 2... I suggest an enhanced version of the Consignment Shops be applied to Vendors...
    For those not familiar with AC2's consignment shops it's an easy way to set market prices on loot items. If for instance I've collected a bunch of hides while hunting. Using a trading vendor you open up "hides" to see the going rates and add yours to the "pool" (normally a little lower for quick sale or higher if you can wait to make more money...
    Our consignment shops are called Auction Halls. All we need is a market history like what Eve Online has:
    1) 90 day history

2) Each Day for completed sales
    a) Lowest Price
    b) Average Price
    c) Highest Price
    d) Number of units sold

Unfortunately when we had a conversation with one of the Turbine developers years ago, the response was that the Auction Hall - Market functionality is a finished system for which no new features or changes would be done.

I suspect one of the reasons that Turbine went to an Auction Hall in Lotro is help resolve the performance and game play issues in Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 caused by the vendors having all this stuff on sale.

My own personal opinion. I have no interest in player shops or NPC consignment systems. What I want is a Middle Earth wide sales channel. I hated having to visit each player shop in Asheron's Call to find what was on sale and attempt to find the best price. I hated traveling around to the various vendor NPCs that were heavily used to find valuable stuff that people sold. I have no desire to run around and waste time doing this stuff. I want to be able to see everything that is on sale by all players via one central terminal such as an auction hall NPC.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 09 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.