We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: iMac Advice

Smile iMac Advice

Hi guys,

I was kinda hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

I am currently looking at buying a iMac for work but since there's got to be some perks of being self employed i was hoping to maybe sneak a go on Lotro when time allowed.

I'm currently looking at two different ones but was hoping the cheaper would allow me to play without fuss.

The specs are

2.7GHz quad-core Intel® Core™ i5 processor
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb (5400-rpm) SATA hard drive
    Intel® Iris Pro graphics
    OS X Mavericks

The only difference between the higher spec machine is the graphics card and OS which is a Nvidia geforce GT 750M and OS X Mountain Lion

Any advice would be great cheers guys thanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000a4380/signature.png]Arus[/charsig]

My advice when buying computers especially Macs as they aren't as easily upgraded as Pc towers is to buy the best one, usually the dearest, as you can afford.
    The cheaper one may do you now but 5 years down the line software will have developed and get more demanding and your better computer will be able to handle it better. Macs usually last longer than their Pc counterparts so forward thinking will pay off down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Claypigeon1980 View Post
    The specs are

8Gb RAM
    Intel® Iris Pro graphics
    OS X Mavericks
    I think it would probably run OK on low-medium settings. However, I have seen anecdotal evidence here on this forum that the integrated Intel graphics can be a bit troublesome. I run fairly decently on MBP 2.7 Ghz quad core i7, 8GB ram, 1GB nVidia 650M (or whatever that card is) on 'Medium' settings. Decently meaning, no crashes. Absolutely no way I could run Ultra high settings without crashing instantaneously in some areas. Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Stniuk View Post
    My advice when buying computers especially Macs as they aren't as easily upgraded as Pc towers is to buy the best one, usually the dearest, as you can afford.
    The cheaper one may do you now but 5 years down the line software will have developed and get more demanding and your better computer will be able to handle it better. Macs usually last longer than their Pc counterparts so forward thinking will pay off down the line.
    I agree on this -- buy the "best" you can afford.

8Gb RAM
    Intel® Iris Pro graphics
    OS X Mavericks
    My system was the "high-end" box available when I purchased it in December of 2010:
    27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
    Disc: 1TB 7200 SATA

Actually, I run LOTRO and DDO from an external 1TB LaCie FireWire 800 drive.

Note that a 5400 RPM drive is S L O W... guaranteed to impact overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    I think it would probably run OK on low-medium settings. However, I have seen anecdotal evidence here on this forum that the integrated Intel graphics can be a bit troublesome. I run fairly decently on MBP 2.7 Ghz quad core i7, 8GB ram, 1GB nVidia 650M (or whatever that card is) on 'Medium' settings. Decently meaning, no crashes. Absolutely no way I could run Ultra high settings without crashing instantaneously in some areas. Good luck with your purchase!
    I completely agree -- avoid the intel Graphics Chipset. Note that my ATI Radeon graphics card has 1 gig of Graphics memory.

If you can swing it -- minimally upgrade to an internal SSD (Solid State Drive) for a significant performance improvement.
    Also, watch what kind of memory you have -- 1333MHz is a significant performance improvement over the "optional" lower speed

Once you get the Model number you can visit LowEndMac.com and search for that model, and see all the options available.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.

Deep down i kinda knew it was probably best to go for the more expensive machine in the long run, I've fallen in to that trap before.

Looking at the upgrade side of things

The memory is 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 , the only thing that worries me a little now is that hard drive upgrade to fushion is a little out my budget at the moment as i need a few other things as well, but saying that i was planning on purchasing HGST 1TB Touro Mobile Pro for back up reasons, maybe i could run lotro from this ?.

Once again guys thanks so much for the help I'm kinda new too Macs.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000a4380/signature.png]Arus[/charsig]

but saying that i was planning on purchasing HGST 1TB Touro Mobile Pro for back up reasons, maybe i could run lotro from this ?
    OSX is based in Unix(tm) -- as such it is simple to stick a file(s) anywhere for access.
    So as long as you partition the disk drive in such a way that there is sufficient room, you should have no problem.

Sufficient room? I would probably opt for dividing the drive 1/4 - 3/4 -- but, whatever floats your boat.
    A single installation of LOTRO needs nominally 24GB these days. DDO needs about 11GB. The Live game client and Bullroarer Client are basically the same size.

Toss a coin you can do things a multitude of different ways.
    The easiest way is to simply install LOTRO on your main drive and then copy the "app" (which is really a collection of files) over to the new drive.
    Then launch it and lock the icon into your dock.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)