Post Update 15.1 issues
So-called "Real-life" has gotten in my face the past few days, so I haven't been checking in as much lately.
I see a number of people are having issues Post U15.
All I can say is -- I have had no problems logging in on either of my accounts with my Mac Client.
(Or previously with the Bullroarer Mac Client.)
My initial suspicion was that these are communications problems, as I didn't get around to patching and logging in until after 6pm Monday evening - which is after both the "Patching Frenzie" and the normal 4-7pm EST "afternoon login rush" (and the resulting massive general Internet Lag).
Both DDO and LOTRO connect using encrypted UDP (User Datagram Protocol) packets over ports 9000 to 9010 (for the general data communication) and 2900 to 2910 (for the chat and voice chat connections) and they use "loose" routing methods, usually referred to as "asymmetrical packet routing". What this means is that while the game client sends data outbound (upstream) on port 'x', the response packets coming back from the server inbound (downstream) are using port 'y'.
Whenever there is an issue with these ports being accessible, the two-way data method being supported, or the inbound/outbound data being mis-routed then connection issues at these stages can and do occur.
Theses UDP related problems can also happen when the local system (i.e. your Mac) is busy or overloaded.
Both of my accounts are Lifetime accounts, my primary being a Founder/Lifetime -- so I've got a main toon "with virtually everything" i.e. a huge database of titles, deeds, virtues, etc. which does take a couple of minutes to download at launch. A level 100 Hunter. Other than the usual taking forever to login (i.e. after character selection) and the fact that the AFK timer still crashes the client and the fact that, in general, the Mac Client still crashes after between 45 and 60 minutes... everything is working fine - even Awesomonium.
This is on an 8gig late 2010 27 inch iMac, Yosemite 10.10.1, with my client stored on an external FW800 drive.
And I've run both completely independently and with the Steam Overlay active.
And I've also successfully run via Crossover (WINE), but that runs the PC Client.
So, short of the "old standby" -- Run Disk#Utility and Repair permissions; and check your modem/router's settings (The OSX Firewall should be turned off if you have on in your Router) - I don't have any good ideas.
All I can say is -- root through all of your various log files and look for clues - a process which is akin to chicken-chasing in Hobnanigans.
Also, make certain that you "test" with only LOTRO running -- get rid of all of those other processes that you let sit around in the background - Mail, Safari, Pages, etc.
Power Cycle your machine and do NOT resume applications you had running restart. (Uncheck the box.)
I cannot begin to guess what might be going on.
When you post about such problems going forward, please include information on
Your system - Type, model year, how much main memory, OSX level.
What kind of Internet connection do you have - Both your ISP's offered speeds, and more importantly, how are you connecting - via Ethernet or WiFi.
WiFi connectivity is notorious for screwing with IP packet delivery. Trouble shooting WiFi connectivity issues is completely another kettle of fish.
If you are using a Laptop, try connecting with an Ethernet connection instead of WiFi and see if you have the same problem!
Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:
Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
Valanne: Beorning - Level 80