We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Update 15.1 issues

So-called "Real-life" has gotten in my face the past few days, so I haven't been checking in as much lately.

I see a number of people are having issues Post U15.

All I can say is -- I have had no problems logging in on either of my accounts with my Mac Client.
    (Or previously with the Bullroarer Mac Client.)

My initial suspicion was that these are communications problems, as I didn't get around to patching and logging in until after 6pm Monday evening - which is after both the "Patching Frenzie" and the normal 4-7pm EST "afternoon login rush" (and the resulting massive general Internet Lag).

Both DDO and LOTRO connect using encrypted UDP (User Datagram Protocol) packets over ports 9000 to 9010 (for the general data communication) and 2900 to 2910 (for the chat and voice chat connections) and they use "loose" routing methods, usually referred to as "asymmetrical packet routing". What this means is that while the game client sends data outbound (upstream) on port 'x', the response packets coming back from the server inbound (downstream) are using port 'y'.
    Whenever there is an issue with these ports being accessible, the two-way data method being supported, or the inbound/outbound data being mis-routed then connection issues at these stages can and do occur.

Theses UDP related problems can also happen when the local system (i.e. your Mac) is busy or overloaded.

Both of my accounts are Lifetime accounts, my primary being a Founder/Lifetime -- so I've got a main toon "with virtually everything" i.e. a huge database of titles, deeds, virtues, etc. which does take a couple of minutes to download at launch. A level 100 Hunter. Other than the usual taking forever to login (i.e. after character selection) and the fact that the AFK timer still crashes the client and the fact that, in general, the Mac Client still crashes after between 45 and 60 minutes... everything is working fine - even Awesomonium.

This is on an 8gig late 2010 27 inch iMac, Yosemite 10.10.1, with my client stored on an external FW800 drive.
    And I've run both completely independently and with the Steam Overlay active.
    And I've also successfully run via Crossover (WINE), but that runs the PC Client.

So, short of the "old standby" -- Run Disk#Utility and Repair permissions; and check your modem/router's settings (The OSX Firewall should be turned off if you have on in your Router) - I don't have any good ideas.

All I can say is -- root through all of your various log files and look for clues - a process which is akin to chicken-chasing in Hobnanigans.

Also, make certain that you "test" with only LOTRO running -- get rid of all of those other processes that you let sit around in the background - Mail, Safari, Pages, etc.
    Power Cycle your machine and do NOT resume applications you had running restart. (Uncheck the box.)

I cannot begin to guess what might be going on.

When you post about such problems going forward, please include information on
    Your system - Type, model year, how much main memory, OSX level.
    What kind of Internet connection do you have - Both your ISP's offered speeds, and more importantly, how are you connecting - via Ethernet or WiFi.
    WiFi connectivity is notorious for screwing with IP packet delivery. Trouble shooting WiFi connectivity issues is completely another kettle of fish.

If you are using a Laptop, try connecting with an Ethernet connection instead of WiFi and see if you have the same problem!
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

1. Way more crashes.

2. Force Quitting LotRO with cmd-alt-esc closes it, but the windows remains open (totally unresponsive)

3. Having to redownload FR/DE screens at startup (Removed the files at 85 for that).

I updated the client yesterday with all the patching. Now I try to launch lotro and this is what happens:

1. Client Opens, I enter username and password, click Login

2. Choose world Gladden (already chose) and press "Enter"...

3. Client crashes !!! Instantly...for a split second I see message "Getting in-line to connect.." and then the crash

I have tried to login and enter repeatedly...but a crashing client is still problem. My mac is running OS Yosemite 10.10 which was working fine for launching LOTRO before U15.1 update, so I am sure it is not the OS issue...

I am running macbook late 2009, 8gb Yosemite 10.10.1

connected via wifi. I have repaired the disk permission with disk utility.

My lotro are downloaded without HappyCloud, Steam, or anything. I was able to get just the mac client files and I have a backup copy stored on my time capsule. I am currently holidaying in Mebourne and the back up copy is in Wellington, New Zealand along with the imac with its mac and window clients.

I patched the update on Tuesday morning Australian time around 9-10am, and logged on with no issues. I played for a hour or two.

Later that night I wanted to play but couldn't get past the character login screen as the window would become completely unresponsive. I would force quit, and the application would shut down, it is no longer in the Dock bar. However I can still see the windows stuck on loading screen and unresponsive.

when I open force quit window, lotroclient isn't there. nor is the launcher. In the activity window i see lotroclient in red and unresponsive. I click on it to force quit or quit, nothing happens.

I can start launcher again, log in, and select a server but then it would disappear and no new window would appear. So I have to restart or shut down or force shutdown, so I can start launcher and log in properly to the character selection screen. However no matter what I pick, new character, old character, my level 100 character with massive database of all deeds etc, it all gets stuck at loading screen with no orange bar, and the ring are not glowing. and the mouse goes into spinning ball.

I have tried many times yesterday, today, without any avail and am mystified how I managed to log in after update 15.1 if update 15.1 is the issue affecting macs.
    Last edited by duvelmoortgat; Dec 17 2014 at 06:15 AM.

I entered a /bug report on the issues I'm having since 15.1, but here's my system info in case any of you mac genius's notice helpful patterns:

MacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2010, 4G RAM, iOS 10.8.4, NVidia GeForce 320M 256

Game files and client are on main disk, which is not partitioned

Cable modem, 50M download, both WIFI and direct connect via ethernet

(no change in any system configuration or modem prior to or since 15.1)

I've posted in several threads about the issues I'm having since update 15.1, but here's a summary:

Launch game, select server, get to Character Select screen all with no problems. Can load only characters that are parked in a starting area. These characters play normally. Client crashes when quitting game, standard force-quit does not close client window. Same behavior if I try to load a character that was logged out or DC'd or crashed when not in a starter area. In all cases I must reboot mac in order to play once this crash occurs. So basically I'm limited to playing new characters or characters still questing in starter areas, although I've played a number of characters in the higher areas of the game (Rohan, Wildermere) with no issues .. until they lose connection to the server and from then on cannot be loaded from my mac.
    Last edited by BentoIce; Dec 17 2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: update specs

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    until they lose connection to the server and from then on cannot be loaded from my mac.
    This is symptomatic of a communications problem.

Try purging your ARP information -- shutdown your Mac; shutdown your Router/modem -- wait 2 minutes.
    Power up your Router/modem, wait until it is completely booted.
    Power up your Mac; launch LOTRO.
    See what happens.

You can also try a traceroute -- use spotlight to find "Network Utility" - it is in a really obscure place.
    Select "Traceroute" on the tab.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

There will be a hotfix today, maybe this solves some problems. Turbine is screwing up regularly at the moment. I'm just glad, that i don't have any issues.

Thumbs down

So no Mac fix, apparently . Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    There will be a hotfix today, maybe this solves some problems. Turbine is screwing up regularly at the moment. I'm just glad, that i don't have any issues.
    Tested it with one character and it is working again for me.

testing again now with my others...

Downloaded the new fix....went to login screen, server gladden appears UP...Pressed enter world ------->Crash again. Just like in the past !! some fix eh..

Quote Originally Posted by spicypizza View Post
    Tested it with one character and it is working again for me.

testing again now with my others...
    I hope your issues were resolved! As for me, nothing at all has changed. To make sure we're discussing only issues that continue to plague players, I'm going to start a new thread on the "post 15.1 hotfix issues".

Quote Originally Posted by BentoIce View Post
    I hope your issues were resolved! As for me, nothing at all has changed. To make sure we're discussing only issues that continue to plague players, I'm going to start a new thread on the "post 15.1 hotfix issues".
    For me too..Nothing changed. Cant get past the character loading screen...launcher gets stuck and I have to kill the process from Activity monitor....

Unfortunately the team has not been able to repro the behavior here that you all are reporting. We as that you try one thing for us to help the team investigate further.

In the launcher options, toggle the “Pre-cache gamelogic” option to see if that helps. (Either turning it on or off)

Please let us know if doing this has any impact on the issue.
    Andy "Frelorn" Cataldo - Senior Community Manager

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthus0 View Post
    So no Mac fix, apparently . Merry Christmas!
    all my characters are working again, no crashing (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    Unfortunately the team has not been able to repro the behavior here that you all are reporting. We as that you try one thing for us to help the team investigate further.

In the launcher options, toggle the “Pre-cache gamelogic” option to see if that helps. (Either turning it on or off)

I tried to turn off the Pre-cache game login in launcher option, then signed into client, went upto character screen, and Same problem. Character is stuck on loading......

I re-start the client, and now tun ON the pre-cache logic and try again ----> Same problem. Did not help.

Thanks for suggesting something (even though it did not work in my case), and responding to this issue which is plaguing the mac client players since U15.1

Ok next question, what Mac system are you using, Macbook, Mac Mini, etc? What OS version are you running?
    Andy "Frelorn" Cataldo - Senior Community Manager

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Ok next question, what Mac system are you using, Macbook, Mac Mini, etc? What OS version are you running?
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 (this config was working perfect before U15.1 came..)

for reference, mine is iMac 2011 27", 8gb ram, 2gb video, same OS as Saurontx

regards

Encountering same behavior. I'm on a Macbook Air mid-2012, running OS X 10.9.5.

Me too, exactly same issues.
    iMac 21.5 inch late 2009
    Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory 1067 MHZ DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
    Running 10.10.1 OSX Yosemite
    [COLOR=#FF0000][FONT=Arial color=&quot]Mac Player[/FONT][/COLOR] since 2010

Thanks for working with us on this issue, Frelorn and company!

I had "pre-cache gamelogic" on (love this feature BTW!), I turned it off - character load problem did not change.

I turned it back on - character load problem did not change.

I tried restarting the computer after turning it off - no change.

I tried restarting the computer after turning it back on - no change.

MacBook Pro, mid 2010, iOS 10.8.4. , NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Aye, yet another Mac user that can't get to the character screen. From local testing, it's not specific to Yosemite; tried again just now with 10.7.4 and it still crashes when it tries to load the character selection screen. Also didn't have any of these issues prior to update 15 (last on Brandywine, Landroval, and Riddermark servers ~1 month ago with no issues).

Mac mini Server (mid 2011; Intel Core i7 quad core 2 GHz)
    8GB RAM (1333 MHz DDR3)
    Intel HD 3000 graphics (512MB)
    OS X 10.10 Yosemite (HDD)
    OS X 10.7.4 Lion (SSD)

For what it's worth, STO had major issues with their Mac client as well when they initially released Delta Rising; could get into the game, but crashed randomly for no well explained reason. Took them about a month to finally get it stable; had to use Win client in the mean time. Might try that here, but not looking forward to updating the game client for a second time today; probably just long enough to log in and find that the only new items for the winter festival are a robe, cloak, hooded cloak, mount, and caparison.

Oh, well; back to the STO winter festival...

Mac mini, late 2009
    intel core 2 Duo 2.26ghz
    4 GB ram
    Yosemite v10.10.1

Turning the pre-load thingy off didn't change anything.

I CAN login when I boot off another drive that is running Mavericks and launch the game thats installed on that drive.

No changes.

Mac mini mid 2010, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB ram, OS X 10.10.1

OK, first of all, I was able to log into game and enter world just fine the first time after my client was updated. I played in game without any client issues, but when I logged out, I never made it back to the Character Select screen. Like others, Force Quit didn't work - I ended up going to a Terminal window and killing the top-level process that way - that's the only way short of rebooting that I've found to get rid of the hung client.

So after that, I went back in, opened the client again, made it to the Character Select screen, but it hung as soon as I clicked the Enter Middle Earth button. After killing the client per above method, I went back in, unchecked pre-cache gamelogic and tried again, still no joy. Then re-checked pre-cache gamelogic - same.

Here's my computer info:

iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007)
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    Yosemite (10.10.1)

One other bit of information - I had similar problems with the Bullroarer client that last week it was up. But I *think* I was able to bring up 15.1 in Bullroarer successfully at least once without issue - not positive.

I am going to bring up Console then try bringing up the client again and see if I can see any LOTRO client error - I'll post back with results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast