We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A couple questions

Hello everyone, I was thinking of roleplaying a character on one of the English speaking roleplaying servers, but i have a couple questions on the do's and don'ts of RP.

1. What server do I choose Landroval or Laurelin?
    2. If I was roleplaying an elf for example, but I don't speak Sindarin or Quenya I only know a couple phrases, will this be a problem? or is there so way I can speak Quenya without really speaking Quenya?
    3. when sparing other players, do you use the game's system or emotes? if emotes, how do you use emotes efficiently?
    4. Is there something where I can "step out of my character" so to speak?

Thanks in advance
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Mae Govannan, friend.
    I think you can choose either one because I'm in both myself, though I'm more active on Landroval. I've heard that Laurelin is a little more proper and friendly, while Landroval is rambunctious and sort of violent, but I if that's true or not because I only play after pretty much everyone else has gone to bed.

2. If I was roleplaying an elf for example, but I don't speak Sindarin or Quenya I only know a couple phrases, will this be a problem? or is there so way I can speak Quenya without really speaking Quenya?
    Oh, this is easy! In order to say your character is speaking Quenya, just put a <Q> before your character speaks. Likewise, you put an <S> for Sindarin.

3. when sparing other players, do you use the game's system or emotes? if emotes, how do you use emotes efficiently?
    There are a couple of different ways to resolve a spar:
    1. You could literally spar and the best man wins! - This is a rare option because it's not fair when a lvl 10 and a lvl 83 get into a fight.
    2. You fellowship the person you want to spar, emote what your character tries to do, then /roll to see whose action actually happened.
    3. You could agree with a person before hand what was going to happen, so things work out smoothly.

In order to emote something in detail, you have to write "/e" then space and type whatever you want. When you post, your name will appear where "E" is.
    For EXAMPLE: I put "/e walks down the hall." but when I submit it, it looks like; "Hachikoh walks down the hall."

You can use the OCC channel, or you can use a double ((like this)).
    [CENTER][b]Theif in the Night::[/b] [I]An easily lost pick-pocket, a reckless risk-taker.
    a talented trickster, treasure hunter & jewelry maker.[/I]

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Fizzylifty/Aivah3.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER]

Depends on when your prime time for playing is. If you're in Europe, Laurelin might be the time with the most RP for you. Landroval's prime Bree RP time is 9pm to 1am Eastern US time.

As someone said, you can do the <S>, <Q> and there's <R> for Rohirrim. However, with the Quenya, elves in the 3rd age rarely speak it, unless they're extremely old. One caveat: If you're just starting out in RP, and new to Tolkien lore, you might want to start by RPing a Bree-lander. They're the easiest to RP.

Most RP doesn't have combat or sparring in it. The game mechanics are rarely used on Landroval, even for non-sparring. Eating, drinking, and other things are generally just written out, except for the Light/Music RPers on Landy, who do use the game's canned emotes. Combat RP, though, can be difficult, especially if you don't know the other player(s). I would advise not doing anything combative in RP until you get a feel for other players and how they RP and whether they can be trusted not to godmode.

To speak out of character, put whatever you're saying in (( )). Example: ((Oh geez, I just looked at the time. I have to go. Thanks for the RP, though.))

On Landroval, though, doing too much of that will annoy others, so if it's a long OOC conversation, do it either in /tells or make a Fellowship and chat that way.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: Graal: The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.