We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bug? Hack? Early really bad idea for April Fools?

What is this?? I had some text pop on my screen while playing that said "Please wait while your character is permanently deleted." The screen then went red then started flashing. A few minutes later this happened again with a different message - seen in the screen shot below. If this is some Turbine sanctioned activity, it's very frustrating and needs to stop. A ticket was responded to with "contact Tech Support, we don't know what that is" and closed.

Last edited by Henay; Mar 28 2014 at 06:32 PM.
    Henay Hopeshredder
    Defenders of the Lost Light - Brandywine Server

Your screenshots do not load.

It something unique to your account - PC setup. Nothing like what you are describing has ever occurred for me.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I moved them. They should load now.
    Henay Hopeshredder

Those other 2, they friends or just random people? Either way, that's utterly bizarre...

Do you use plugins? Maybe someone modified/hacked one of your plugins.

It looks a lot like the alerter LUA script. You can set it to whatever text you want, set a background picture to it, and launch at certain times (or even repeat at certain intervals). I'd suspect a friend is playing a joke on you.

I use buffbars, bevy o bars and combat analysis. I'll unload them all. One of the others in the pic is my 5 year old, the other was a random. But he wasn't anywhere near by when it happened the first time.
    Henay Hopeshredder

Did anyone confirm which plug-in let the guy do this? I heard people say combat analysis. I reported the user who was making my screen do this.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Is it another player on-line doing it? I was making the assumption that someone had access to his/her computer, set it up, and then walked away waiting for him/her to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    Did anyone confirm which plug-in let the guy do this? I heard people say combat analysis. I reported the user who was making my screen do this.
    I don't see how another "user" could make your screen do this unless they have access to your account, either given by you or hacked. It's not something just playing with another person can cause by anything they do. I use combat analysis all the time and it does nothing but what it's intended to do.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I don't see how another "user" could make your screen do this unless they have access to your account, either given by you or hacked. It's not something just playing with another person can cause by anything they do. I use combat analysis all the time and it does nothing but what it's intended to do.
    It depends on how it was scripted and there might be some back door in the code or something. I do remember a while back that combat analysis had a way of exporting your DPS into a program that then you could use to copmare with other people by connecting to the same thing or something along those lines so if that code hasnt been taken out then it could be exploited i dont know exactly. Or the user who created the plugin could have also put a piece of code in so that it did that on this date and it could have just been sat there waiting for the date to come. The good thing is dont think they can get account info through the LUA so i doubt anything will be compromised. I've changed my password and dissabled all my plugins just to be sure though.

Also i got a message that said ther server is being turned back to july 2013. And the pluggins i use which are the same as the OP are buffbars and combat anlysis

Benordis LvL 105 Champion - Beniso LvL 105 Minstrel - Benisia LvL 105 Burglar - Bengrit LvL 105 Rune-keeper - Beney LvL 105 Guardian

This situation must be due to a plugin or an add on.

The base game software never uses the the word killed. Our characters are defeated not killed. Thanks to the character restore - there is no such thing as a permanent deletion of a character.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    This situation must be due to a plugin or an add on.

The base game software never uses the the word killed. Our characters are defeated not killed. Thanks to the character restore - there is no such thing as a permanent deletion of a character.
    It's combat analysis. Noticed it a while back. You can remove the code from the files.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenPrince16 View Post
    It's combat analysis. Noticed it a while back. You can remove the code from the files.
    Which file is it in?

Benordis LvL 105 Champion - Beniso LvL 105 Minstrel - Benisia LvL 105 Burglar - Bengrit LvL 105 Rune-keeper - Beney LvL 105 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by AMDG93 View Post
    Which file is it in?
    .\\User\Documents\Plugins\Comb atAnalysis\utils\misc.lua under "naughty hacking" is where the function is. The call to it is in CombatAnalysis\parser\parser.l ua.

In parser.lua where it shows this:

if (not statOverviewEnabled or ((args.ChatType ~= Turbine.ChatType.EnemyCombat) and (args.ChatType ~= Turbine.ChatType.PlayerCombat) and (args.ChatType ~= Turbine.ChatType.Death))) then
    DiscardArgs(args);
    return;
    end
    comment out the "DiscardArgs(args);" function( just type -- before it) or just delete that line. Should be fine after that. Or you could find the function in misc.lua listed above and delete the contents. The former is the best way.

.\\User\Documents\Plugins\Comb atAnalysis\utils\misc.lua under "naughty hacking" is where the function is. The call to it is in CombatAnalysis\parser\parser.l ua.

comment out the "DiscardArgs(args);" function( just type -- before it) or just delete that line. Should be fine after that. Or you could find the function in misc.lua listed above and delete the contents. The former is the best way.
    ahh ok thanks i'll fix it now cheers
    Last edited by AMDG93; Mar 28 2014 at 09:29 PM.

For those that are not so tech savvy:

1. navigate to \Users\$Your User$\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins\CombatAnalysis\ Parser in there you will find a file called parser.lua

2. Open that file with notepad

3. Should look like this (ignore the highlight thats me showing where to comment it out).

4. Edit that line highlighted so it looks like this.

5. Save the file and all is good!

Thank you so much. I've used Combat Analysis forever and never had this happen before. Dumping it now.
    Henay Hopeshredder

Quote Originally Posted by fallohide View Post
    Is it another player on-line doing it? I was making the assumption that someone had access to his/her computer, set it up, and then walked away waiting for him/her to see it.
    I'm not sure what the trigger was, but no one else has access to my computer. =)
    Henay Hopeshredder

There was a mass hacking incident(same as your screenshots) for people on the brandywine server, not everyone was affected but from what I've seen there have been at least 30 incidents, many are blaming the plugins.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Henay View Post
    I'm not sure what the trigger was, but no one else has access to my computer. =)
    It reads a command from chat and just pops up client-side text on your screen. It cannot harm your account period nor endanger being hacked through it. However, if used at the right moment it could become troublesome to other players. The plugin itself is fine. Just remove the code above.

I had two incidents inside of HD instances. Where is occurred one like shown in the screen shot and a second with a flashing screen reporting it was deleting System 32 please wait. Have not had the issue on my other PC which never had Combat Analysis installed my version came from the publishers website, simple fix disable and removed the plug in no further issues.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008477a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    There was a mass hacking incident(same as your screenshots) for people on the brandywine server, not everyone was affected but from what I've seen there have been at least 30 incidents, many are blaming the plugins.
    Agreed that may solve this issue but I wont trust the author again nice plugin bad joke and bad for your the authors reputation.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008477a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    I'm still curious how you identified the "user" who was making your screen do that or if you reported an innocent person.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I'm still curious how you identified the "user" who was making your screen do that or if you reported an innocent person.
    *giggles*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast