We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crit or tact mastery?

Im currently building a fire/healing build just wondering whether i should build towards more crit or tact mastery? because as i see it you can't have a great deal of tact mastery and hit the crit cap from what ive seen

Benordis LvL 105 Champion - Beniso LvL 105 Minstrel - Benisia LvL 100 Burglar - Bengrit LvL 105 Rune-keeper - Beney LvL 105 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by AMDG93 View Post
    Im currently building a fire/healing build just wondering whether i should build towards more crit or tact mastery? because as i see it you can't have a great deal of tact mastery and hit the crit cap from what ive seen
    higher crit = better for lightning
    higher mastery = better for fire and healing

this is the general rule of thumb.

Do you still want as much crit as possible for fire and healing? yes
    Do you sitll want as much mastery as possible for lightning? yes

But overall higher crit for lightning nets more dps, while higher mastery for fire/heals nets more dps/healage respectively.

To note: currently smoldering wrath cannot crit, ever. In U13 this will be changing and a more crit based fire option may become more viable.
    Loki - Voodoo - Cheezy

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet_yo View Post

But overall higher crit for lightning nets more dps, while higher mastery for fire/heals nets more dps/healage respectively.

To note: currently smoldering wrath cannot crit, ever. In U13 this will be changing and a more crit based fire option may become more viable.
    This was true before the HD stat inflation, but currently I'd go for Crit over Mastery for Fire even, due to the diminishing returns which you face at the current mastery levels

I've also been on the fence about this exact topic. I recently got my rune-keeper to 95 (I run lightning spec specifically for the most part, but would also like advice on healing) and was wondering this:
    Overall, would you more experienced rk's out there take roughly 2-2.5% more crit over 8-10% damage?
    I'm struggling on whether to stay around 25% crit and focus a little more mastery for 137.5%
    OR have roughly 27-27.5% crit and lower mastery for 128.8%.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet_yo View Post

This, I would point out, thou. The Lv95 jewelery and gear open to you, will let you max your crit rating, if you aren't border line there already. And Have well over 40k Tact, and 12-15k finesse.
    So check to see where your at, and fill in gaps.
    Capcom Stalker...
    English is not my 1st Language... So shhhh!

Critical rating looses potency (like a lot of it) after you hit 25% Critical Chance (disregarding contribution from traits). Don't over-stack critical rating at this point. On the other hand, Critical Defence does reduce the magnitude of critical attacks meaning that a slight over-capping of Critical Rating will not harm you.

I'm not sure if the conversion functions derived by Alad et al are still valid but if they are (and I think they are) you'll see diminishing return on Tactical Mastery kicking in somewhere around 100-110% Tactical Offence. Once you hit ~100% Tactical Offence you should really focus on hitting the Critical Chance cap. Before hitting 100% Tactical Offence, just go for whatever gear you get

As to the OP: For lightning I would *always* go for the Critical Chance cap due to the significant amount of Critical Hit Magnitude we have.

For Fire I would be quite satisfied as long as my base Critical Chance is 20% or higher. Mastery is much more valuable (relatively speaking) in fire simply because the critical magnitude is lower.

For a healing build I would probably focus more on Mastery because an increased base is more likely to keep your fellowship up than a chance at spike heals. On the other hand, once you hit 50%-55% outgoing healing you can safely switch over to Critical Rating due to the low contribution from Mastery to Outgoing Healing. (I.e. going from 50% OGHR to 55% OGHR represents a significant increase in Mastery but not a significant increase in healing).
    [I]A small cog in a big machine.
    [/I]
    Life has no "Undo" button, only "I'm sorry". Thinking before doing is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrix
    I've also been on the fence about this exact topic. I recently got my rune-keeper to 95 (I run lightning spec specifically for the most part, but would also like advice on healing) and was wondering this:
    Overall, would you more experienced rk's out there take roughly 2-2.5% more crit over 8-10% damage?
    I'm struggling on whether to stay around 25% crit and focus a little more mastery for 137.5%
    OR have roughly 27-27.5% crit and lower mastery for 128.8%.
    Thanks
    Some really great posts in this thread, with really good points in terms of stat builds.

I wanted to address your questions directly. Overall you would take 8-10% more damage than 2-2.5% more crit, if in fact you are receiving these percents. More damage is more damage, while crit is just a CHANCE to apply more damage and since this example would be a percentage and not a critical rating, it would not affect critical magnitude, which is important to consider when talking about overall damage outputs. Remember adding flat percentages don't add to critical rating or mastery.

If you have the option of 25% crit - 137.5% mastery OR 27-27.5% crit - 128.8% mastery, and you're lightning specced, I would say go for the second option. This is different to the above example because overall 27-27.5% crit, is taking into account your critical rating as well. If you are trying to imply that going from 128.8% to 137.5% mastery is an 8-10% increase of damage, I believe that would be incorrect, because of diminishing returns.
    Loki - Voodoo - Cheezy

Thanks for the replies

First, I'd like to say thanks for the replies. More than likely, I'm going to switch over for a crit based build. From what I've heard about diminishing returns and where they take effect I feel like I'd rather take a chance with crits and crit magnitude. Also, that rough estimate of 27% crit was including the 5% class trait. So yes, if rating adds magnitude, then I would have room for roughly 2.3k more rating before cap at 16k. Once again thanks for the last couple of replies, I was just somewhat confused on the situation as I see some rk's running 25% crit with traits and like 52k-ish mastery...and the complete opposite at near 30% crit chance with 45k-ish mastery or so. I appreciate the insight. -Vel