We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Riding Purchase

Riding Purchase

I have a question about Riding Trait purchases. Before I spent money, I want to make sure I fully understand the intent.

1. If I purchase Apprentice Riding Trait (Account) for 1,995, I will receive a 68% riding skill for all current and future characters.
    2 All of my characters will obtain this riding skill at Level 5.
    3. I will not be required to purchase anything additional besides the mount (unless I want the 78% skill).

Is this accurate?

Thank you!

You should receive a box that contains the skills. At least this is what happens with the journeyman riding package.
    Redterrier

Yes, you got it right. But I've seen people be confused about this item before, so I'd like to add a few details.

What you will receive (on each of your characters, present and future) is a brownish gift-box item. This item will be somewhere in your inventory (provided you had at least one free inventory slot to hold it). It can only be used if your character has the Novice characteristic. To obtain this characteristic, simply finish the intro with your character and talk to the NPC your quest-log tells you to talk to after the final instance of the intro (Burning Archet or Gormr's Ritual, depending on race). You get the Novice characteristic at the same time as your free Milestone skill.

After you have used the gift-box item, you will receive three items, all of which look like pieces of paper. Right-click them to use them and thereby learn the associated skill. What those pieces of paper will do for your character(s):

1) "Trait: Riding Characteristic": This will teach you the basic riding skill. With this, you can ride any travel steed or goat. These can be obtained in-game or via the Store in a variety of desgins and three standard speeds: +32% run speed, +62% run speed and +68% run speed. Typically, the +68% run speed mounts are either relatively difficult to obtain or have to be bought in the Store.

2) "Trait: Apprentice Riding": This can only be used after the first piece of paper. This item will grant you a passive skill that makes all your mounts run at +68% speed, even those that normally only go at +62% and the very rare mounts that only offer +32% run speed. (I can only think of 2 in the entire game and those share their looks with higher-speed mounts.)

3) "Smell the Roses": This will teach you a toggle skill that will kind of deactivate the Apprentice skill and return your mounts to their native speed for as long as it is active. The main uses for this are role-playing and slowing your mount down so friends without Apprentice Riding can keep up with you.

Now, if you're willing to make this kind of purchase, I think I should point out that there is another item called "Journeyman Riding (Account)" in the Store which costs a bit more (2995TP?) and will give you a fourth piece of paper which you can use only after items 1) and 2).

4) "Trait Journeyman Riding": This will set your mounts' speed to +78% run speed, faster than any other non-War-Steed mount in the game. The +68% will no longer affect your mounts; you'll be able to choose only between +78% and the mount's native speed (via "Smell the Roses").

The thing is that there is no real upgrade from Apprentice to Journeyman Riding available. If you first buy Apprentice Riding and later decide you want the full +78% speed, you have to pay the full price. On the other hand, it is entirely possible to buy Journeyman Riding if you don't own Apprentice Riding, so if you can live with spending a bit more now, going for the +78% bundle will probably be the more economic option.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Thank you SO much Anyelir for your reply. You answered my questions perfectly. This is definitely the way to go.

Is smell the roses really a toggle skill?

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    3) "Smell the Roses": This will teach you a toggle skill that will kind of deactivate the Apprentice skill and return your mounts to their native speed for as long as it is active. The main uses for this are role-playing and slowing your mount down so friends without Apprentice Riding can keep up with you.
    I recently bought the apprentice riding skill pkg and have a question about the 'smell the roses' option. I say option because I don't have to activate it. Why would I want to use it, only exception being the aforementioned issue of riding with a friend who is slower. All I've done so far is clicked on the Journeyman Riding icon and wallah I have 168% speed. The basic riding skill isn't needed on my toons as I already have it - so I presume this just gets trashed. Which leaves me with the 'smell the roses' icon which I'm thinking I have little use for anyway.

My question is - is the 'smell the roses' really a toggle skill that I can turn off and on at will, either in or out of combat? I am curious why it is phrased 'will kind of deactivate'. It either is on/off by my control or it's not!

My thanks to anyone who can confirm w/o reservation it is truly a toggle skill

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    My thanks to anyone who can confirm w/o reservation it is truly a toggle skill
    "Smell the Roses" behaves exactly like a toggle skill, e.g. a stance or the Burglar's stealth skill. I wrote "kind of deactivates" because the skill "Smell the Roses " deactivates is a passive skill itself and does not actually get removed from the character for the duration of "Smell the Roses". It is more like an override rather than a deactivation. I tried to phrase things simply so as to not confuse somebody new to the game and its terminology.

Plus, "Smell the Roses" does not just override the Apprentice respectively Journeyman Riding passive skill. It also suppresses any other travel mount speed buffs like the mount feed from Hobbit Present. Any such buff will still tick down and may run off while "Smell the Roses" is active, but will not affect your mount anymore. For example, riding a +62% speed mount which has been fed for +20% speed and having the Journeyman trait (for a mount base speed of 178%) would normally yield a total speed of 198%, but when "Smell the Roses" is active, your speed gets reduced to 162%, NOT to 182%. Note that this only applies to buffs. Debuffs will affect your mount as usual, "Smell the Roses" or not.

I'd say, learn the "Smell the Roses" skill. You don't even need to keep it on your quickslot bars. Just let it sit in your skills list and drag it out when you finally run into a situation when you feel you need it.

As an aside, there is some folks who enjoy doing horse races, mostly over on Landroval. For those races, having an Advanced Riding Trait active would be considered cheating and "Smell the Roses" is a way to return one's mount to its native speed so as to avoid messing up the race.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

As an aside, there is some folks who enjoy doing horse races, mostly over on Landroval. For those races, having an Advanced Riding Trait active would be considered cheating and "Smell the Roses" is a way to return one's mount to its native speed so as to avoid messing up the race.
    This is exactly right. A couple on the 2013 council were very concerned with making sure this feature was implemented to keep the horse races fair.

Also, if you've already bought the riding trait for a toon or two you can still use the other traits. The riding trait item will just have the red "You can't use this" border. Drag it out of the inventory and destroy it.

Plus, "Smell the Roses" does not just override the Apprentice respectively Journeyman Riding passive skill. It also suppresses any other travel mount speed buffs like the mount feed from Hobbit Present. Any such buff will still tick down and may run off while "Smell the Roses" is active, but will not affect your mount anymore. For example, riding a +62% speed mount which has been fed for +20% speed and having the Journeyman trait (for a mount base speed of 178%) would normally yield a total speed of 198%, but when "Smell the Roses" is active, your speed gets reduced to 162%, NOT to 182%. Note that this only applies to buffs. Debuffs will affect your mount as usual, "Smell the Roses" or not.
    Thanks for the replies! Intersting example you give, I had a 20% mount speed buff active when I purchased and used the 'Apprentice Riding' and popped the skill icon to get the 168% which then pushed my mount to 188% or that's what it said in the tooltip. Honestly, it didn't feel like it rode faster than a 168 ?? - being that I was on a 'tamed goat 132%' it made a heck of a difference though. So with a base 132 I was boosted to 152 with buff, and then after 'apprentice riding' I got upped to 188%.

I guess my main concern is deactivating it on the 'fly' so to speak. For example, if I'm in a town and I activate 'smell the roses' because of lagging and running into things - then I leave town and I'm riding to the next town and bad guys start chasing me ...... Can I just deactivate it easily off a skil bar and auto increase to 168%?

I guess my main concern is deactivating it on the 'fly' so to speak. For example, if I'm in a town and I activate 'smell the roses' because of lagging and running into things - then I leave town and I'm riding to the next town and bad guys start chasing me ...... Can I just deactivate it easily off a skil bar and auto increase to 168%?
    Yes you can. Its a toggle.

This should be possible. I just did a test and "Smell the Roses" can be activated and deactivated whenever you choose, while moving or stationary, both in combat and out of combat. The only caveat is that I don't have a +32% mount available at the moment and I personally have trouble with judging whether I'm moving at +62% or at +78% speed when there's no other rider moving alongside me. I think my mount got a bit faster when I deactivated "Smell the Roses" while being chased by a wolf, but I cannot guarantee there really, really actually was a change in speed.

(Don't laugh, I didn't buy Journeyman Riding to get around faster but so I didn't need to worry about which mount I can combine with which outfit and for which occasion. :-P )

(Don't laugh, I didn't buy Journeyman Riding to get around faster but so I didn't need to worry about which mount I can combine with which outfit and for which occasion. :-P )
    Not laughing. Its one of the reasons it was even developed. More than for the actual speed boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    Yes you can. Its a toggle.
    Thanks a bunch for answering my questions!