We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: App

App

I was wondering if there was a LOTRO app. Looked on the other forum pages, but I couldn't find anything about it. I hope you have the answer...

An app... To do what exactly?

I don't know how or why, but my computer seems to have a gadget to detect LotRO server status.

Not an app to play lotro that would be way to big for an app. I mean an app to find extra info, Free sample, store. That sort of stuff...

Someone made an app called LotroComplete for iOS, not sure how current it is or if he ever managed to get it ported to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Finranduil View Post
    Not an app to play lotro that would be way to big for an app. I mean an app to find extra info, Free sample, store. That sort of stuff...
    There isn't any application like what you are asking. The fundamental problem is that virtually everything on the internet for Lotro comes from human created web pages, tweets and face book activity. There may still be a RSS feed or two that is kept up to date. It becomes very difficult to create an application to search and gather information when the format may be slightly different each time.

One application that does exist is the server up or down status. Turbine uses a standard protocol called SOAP. Somebody spent the time to capture the SOAP requests and responses. Tear these messages apart. Write an application that replicates the server status piece of the Lotro game launcher.

Other games like Eve Online or Worlds of Warcraft have a large amount of data exported to company owned web servers automatically. The customers can build all kinds of nifty and useful applications because the data is up to date, accurate and on the web in a form that is easy to access. Turbine is not interested and does not provide any support this kind of activity. When Lotro players develop applications it usually involves a lot of heavy lifting, expenditure of time and most importantly a commitment to keep manually updating the information every time Turbine makes a change by someone.

Nifty applications will appear that someone created. After a while the author gets tired of spending a number of hours every so often manually updating the application. Posts a note like - The application has to been updated to state of the game as of March 15, 2014. No further updates will be made.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Okay thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapold View Post
    Someone made an app called LotroComplete for iOS, not sure how current it is or if he ever managed to get it ported to Android.
    This is an example of a very good application that someone spent huge amount of time on. I have no idea at this point how much support or how useful it is. It does not help me because it is a iOS only application. I do not have any device that runs iOS.

I doubt it will ever come out for Android because the author apparently does not have an Android device. I seriously doubt he will borrow or buy one to do the port. As time goes on the author will eventually get less interested, more bored and finally just stop supporting it.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Hello All,

Im the developer of the LotroComplete App. I am currently working one a way to make the app universal for both iOS and Android. This development will take a bit longer to complete but it is the reason that the app has not been updated lately. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    LotroComplete - Get it in the App Store Today.
    Check Lotro Sever Status at : http://www.lotrostatus.com