We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

To LOTRO Hotfix-Team

Hello,

why are you planning an update on a holiday day? Couldn't this wait until tuesday? And i fear, the hotfix will take more hours then scheduled again, so i can't play on a day, when i would have time to play

I hope you will change your plan, please.

CU

HJS

What holiday is it on Monday? It seems like everytime there is a holiday my job in the government declares a day off, and we have nothing between Memorial Day and 4th of July. If it's an another country than I would say that Turbine is an American company whose workers have American hours.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    What holiday is it on Monday? It seems like everytime there is a holiday my job in the government declares a day off, and we have nothing between Memorial Day and 4th of July. If it's an another country than I would say that Turbine is an American company whose workers have American hours.
    It's a religious holiday for Christians, most of Europe has the day off. Something about Holy Spirit and 40 days after Easter. Idk much more.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

June 8th is the Pentecost.
    June 9th is Whit Monday, or Pentecost Monday. It is the day after Pentecost, also known as Whit Sunday or Whitsunday, which commemorates the Holy Ghost's descent on Jesus Christ's disciples, according to the New Testament of the Bible.

other holidays on June 9th include these:
    Anniversary of the Ascension of King Abdullah II (Jordan)
    Autonomy Day (Åland Islands)
    Christian Feast Day:
    Aidan of Lindisfarne (Lutheranism)
    Columba, Abbot of Iona: Ireland and Scotland, 597 CE (commemoration, Anglicanism)
    Columba. Aidan of Lindisfarne, Bede (commemoration, Lutheranism)
    Ephrem the Syrian (Roman Catholic Church and Church of England)
    Primus and Felician
    June 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)

La Rioja Day (La Rioja)
    Murcia Day (Murcia)
    National Heroes' Day (Uganda)

Quote Originally Posted by KM3161 View Post
    June 9th is Whit Monday, or Pentecost Monday. It is the day after Pentecost, also known as Whit Sunday or Whitsunday, which commemorates the Holy Ghost's descent on Jesus Christ's disciples, according to the New Testament of the Bible.

Christian Feast Day:
    Columba, Abbot of Iona: Ireland and Scotland, 597 CE (commemoration, Anglicanism)
    Primus and Felician

La Rioja Day (La Rioja)
    Murcia Day (Murcia)
    What a fascinating list of international holidays. You are an excellent researcher.

I'd to append, for the benefit of the OP, that

(1) The United States was, from the time it ratified its Constitution
    and its first ten Amendments (known as the Bill of Rights) and became
    one nation instead of thirteen, has been by law independent of any religion.
    People can be any kind of Christian or any kind of other religion (google
    "Flying Spaghetti Monster" sometime) or none at all, and neither the Federal
    Government nor any governmental sub-unit has the authority to enforce
    any kind of religious observance on anyone.

(1a) Most Americans, even those who are Christians, call the feast
    celebrated this coming Sunday Pentecost, not Whitsunday, and as
    for Whit Monday, it isn't a religious holiday, let alone a secular one.
    (I have heard the term because there's a Miss Marple story by Agatha
    Christie, in which the punch line is, "That can't have been a real
    gardener, because gardeners don't work on Whit Monday. When you
    are married and have a garden of your own, dear, you will know these
    things.")

(2) All Turbine employees are residents of the State of Massachusetts
    in the United States. Early Monday morning is the easiest time for them
    to install updates, hotfixes, server maintenance, or what have you,
    because they've had the weekend off to relax, fish,, play LotRO, play
    basketball, or whatever floats their boat.

(3) Turbine realized long ago that at whatever day or hour they
    took the systems down, it would interfere with somebody's
    play. The logical thing to do is to take the systems down at the
    day/time most convenient to the people who are actually going
    to do the work. So they do that.

Hope this clarifies things.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    It's a religious holiday for Christians, most of Europe has the day off. Something about Holy Spirit and 40 days after Easter. Idk much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by KM3161 View Post

Christian Feast Day:
    Primus and Felician

La Rioja Day (La Rioja)
    Murcia Day (Murcia)

Good answers!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

This isn't a political or constitutional issue, lets not get carried away. If most of Turbine's Euro customers have a day off, it makes business sense for Turbine to know it and let them play.

However, I'm from Europe and there's no day off in my country. I wonder which / how many countries actually have the day off?

Just thought I would add this

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/whit-monday

Whit Monday is celebrated here in the US by some churches, but is not a Federal Holiday.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Turbine doesn't have this holiday off. it's a normal work week. So people will be earning their paychecks on a normal basis.

I really don't see the need for such fuss over this turbine does not pay much attention to holidays in general. No matter the type the mostly do updates on mondays holiday or not Updates are necessary and are done as needed, holiday or not this is not a news flash it always been like that they have never been concerned with folks day off or not the show must go on and they have since this is a hotfix it has to be done or the the system could crash or what ever be the case so it comes down to fix asap or it might just break.

On any given monday there might lts of people off holiday or not I have a guy I play with that has monday and tuesdays he get many day that he misses because of updates its just something that has to be done. That is just plain bad luck and 1 bump u have to get over
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    Just thought I would add this

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/whit-monday

Whit Monday is celebrated here in the US by some churches, but is not a Federal Holiday.
    And do they actually call it Whit Monday? Interesting.

last I checked, middle earth wasn't a christian realm, could be wrong though. btw, turbine is in the "catholic" NE US, still not a holiday here.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by HJS2 View Post
    Hello,

why are you planning an update on a holiday day? Couldn't this wait until tuesday? And i fear, the hotfix will take more hours then scheduled again, so i can't play on a day, when i would have time to play

I hope you will change your plan, please.

CU

HJS
    Well played. What is the over/under?

Server downtimes are just something that we have to deal with. Even though I'm American and Turbine is an American company, I work evenings so my playtime is pretty much LOTRO's downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    last I checked, middle earth wasn't a christian realm, could be wrong though. btw, turbine is in the "catholic" NE US, still not a holiday here.
    Good point. There are few places in the US more Catholic
    than Boston. But even there I don't *think* the city has
    a holiday on the Monday after Pentecost.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    (3) Turbine realized long ago that at whatever day or hour they
    took the systems down, it would interfere with somebody's
    play. The logical thing to do is to take the systems down at the
    day/time most convenient to the people who are actually going
    to do the work. So they do that.
    I would also add -- we ARE talking about "computers" here.
    It is a well known, and long established practice in the industry to schedule downtime such that the period immediately after the downtime can be MONITORED extensively by staff, both during their normal business hours, and during hours of normal usage -- to see that whatever was done "worked" and that it did not break something else.

BTW: According to WIkipedia:
    The Monday after Pentecost is a holiday in Austria, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Gibraltar, Hungary, Iceland, Côte d'Ivoire, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montserrat, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands and Switzerland.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    BTW: According to WIkipedia:
    That's quite significant part of Europe. 200 mil + in population. For Turbine, that's 8 dedicated German and French servers and I imagine a good number of people on English speaking servers.

Since everyone else seems to have the other bases covered quite adequately, I'm just curious... where is the suggestion for something you'd like to see in game? That is what this forum is for... not for suggestions about changing scheduling.

And seriously... this horse is sooo dead I'm not sure it has any flesh left. Really... I think I just saw the last of it blowing away in the wind. And, it's kinda gross... never been a fan of the whole cremation thing for a reason. The thought of those ashes getting released all over... *shudder* That's why I am not gonna be in anywhere near my sister when she dies -- she wants to have her ashes sprinkled out of an airplane. O.O

Last note: The next person who complains about what day the downtime falls on... show me a single day in the whole darn year that does NOT have a holiday on it.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

More to the point.. why are they scheduling 5 hours of downtime for a hotfix to the launcher only?!?!?!?!?
    [SIZE=3]NO SLEEP 'TILL MORDOR!![/SIZE]

Perhaps they are making the launcher more secure, but whatever the reason, it obviously has to be done.

All we can do is make the best of our day without the game.

I say we all borrow a kid, or two for the day and pretend we are the same age. (Notice: I said borrow! This means mom and dad must be consulted first AND must take them back whether they want to or not!) My list of ideas include:

Building a fort with blankets, pillows, the couch and a couple of chairs (Hubby can't yell at me 'cause I'm playing with the kids!)
    Making a castle out of cardboard and "borrow" hubby's dragon so we can slay it
    Helping hubby out by painting some of his miniatures, or just finger paint... whichever makes the bigger mess
    Taking pictures with the photobooth option on the tablet (bonus points if we can get the dog to photobomb!)
    Experiment with dipping fruit in various toppings

and.. I guess... if we have to go outside...

go play in the pool
    draw with sidewalk chalk
    wagon races
    baseball (if we promise not to hit the neighbor's cat again...)

What do you say? The downtime will FLY by!

Okay, most of this post has been in jest (except that I really will have a niece and nephew over tomorrow, and we really WILL be doing those things). The point is, there are other fun things you CAN do. Find a way to enjoy the day and don't let the downtime ruin yours.
    If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age.
    -George Burns

Whenever you feel sad, just remember that somewhere in this world, there's someone pulling a door that says "PUSH"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravynne View Post
    Building a fort with blankets, pillows, the couch and a couple of chairs (Hubby can't yell at me 'cause I'm playing with the kids!)
    If you have a comforter cover and a box fan you can make a really cool inflatable fort by closing most of the open side so that the fan just fits in the remainder and turn the fan on high (or high enough) to keep it inflated. No other furniture needed. Disassembles in a couple of minutes at the end of the day. Plus, it's a science lesson on air pressure.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Thanks for the tip! We will have to try that!
    If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age.
    -George Burns

Whenever you feel sad, just remember that somewhere in this world, there's someone pulling a door that says "PUSH"

There is a lot of room between not taking care about ANY holiday and taking care about EVERY holiday. The number of holidays that would affect more then something like 10% of the player base could for sure be counted with 2 hands.
    This time I would guess 20-25% of the user base had a holiday (according to login counts) - not saying all of them will care or protest. However, this is definitely no small number and the resulting protest is expectable.
    This happens about once a year at the same percentage. The reason is definitely not "you can't take care about every holiday" but just "we take care of holidays that would cause extra labor cost". It is their right to do so, but criticizing this is also justified.

Sure, people can go outside or do something else. Strictly speaking we could do that all the time. Even more strictly, why should anyone care if this game is open Monday 8 to 10 pm? You could do something else the rest of the week. No reason to protest at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    There is a lot of room between not taking care about ANY holiday and taking care about EVERY holiday.
    This is true.

Turbine, with 'sclusively Massachusetts-dwelling employees,
    chooses not to patch/update/etc. on those Mondays which are
    secular holidays in the US. Presidents' Day, Labor Day, whatnot.
    This is, again, for the benefit of their employees. But (as I
    indicated above) the US does not recognize religious holidays
    as national holidays. Christmas and New Year's Day, originally
    religious holidays, have been so far secularized that no one*
    resents their celebration.

_____
    *With one exception, as follows. I was once working for a
    university research department -- we published working papers,
    didn't teach classes. On Christmas Day I discovered that I'd
    left something important in the office, so I grabbed my keys
    and went in to get it. While I was there, in came a woman who
    was a statistician. This was back in the days before we had PCs
    or, for the most part, individual printers. You went to the basement
    of the computer building and got your printout out of your
    pigeonhole. This statistician was mad enough to chew nails
    and spit rust, because the Computer Center was closed and
    she couldn't get her printout.

I said: "It's Christmas Day."

She said, "I don't care! I'm not a Christian and I want my
    printout!"

"Most religions in the Northern Hemisphere have some kind
    of winter solstice celebration."

"I don't care! I'm an atheist and I want my printout!"

"This is a paid holiday. The Computer Center staff don't want
    to work on a holiday; they're home with their families."

"I WANT to work! I want my printout!!"

Thus proving once again that you can't please everybody.