We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Post Creative Labs PCIe X-FI Titanium - latest driver borked for LotRO with Win 8.1 64-Bit

    Greetings!

    Creative Labs released a new driver for the PCIe X-FI Titanium on March 7, 2014. There appears to be compatibility issue between this new driver and LotRO (at least there is on Windows 8.1 64-Bit, which is what I'm running); some of the sound effects stop working shortly after you enter Middle-earth, then may work sporadically for a bit, then will stop working altogether. Oddly enough, the music seems to continue to work okay.

    The fix? Rollback to the previous driver, lol.

    Hope this helps!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SedrynTyros View Post
    Creative Labs released a new driver for the PCIe X-FI Titanium on March 7, 2014. There appears to be compatibility issue between this new driver and LotRO (at least there is on Windows 8.1 64-Bit, which is what I'm running); some of the sound effects stop working shortly after you enter Middle-earth, then may work sporadically for a bit, then will stop working altogether. Oddly enough, the music seems to continue to work okay.
    I have the same trouble in the same hardware environment.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillmaster View Post
    I have the same trouble in the same hardware environment.
    Yeah, I'm guessing that everyone will. Hopefully this issue gets addressed by Turbine.

  4. #4
    Bork, bork, bork!

  5. #5
    Did any of the developers ever look into this issue?

  6. #6

    Cool

    Darn shame nobody ever looked into this. That pretty much tells me I'm wasting my money on this game.

    Oh well ... time to move on to something else then.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,135
    If it worked with a prior driver, and now fails to work with the current driver, then the issue is more likely to be driver-related than game-related. Thus, it isn't something that needs to be "addressed by Turbine" but is instead likely something that needs to be "addressed by Creative."

    Before assuming I'm just another apologist or contrarian, Please keep in mind that I personally spent over two years trying to get through to people who asserted (sans evidence and contrary to logic) that LotRO's code had to be to blame for the x-fi BSOD issue because "every other game works fine". . . but it did indeed turn out to be Creative's driver that was the culprit (and it took a quite concerted effort on the part of both players and Turbine to replicate the issue and document it to the extent that Creative was convinced to take action years after the problem first surfaced). Suffice it to say that all the angry "Fix it Turbine! It's obviously your fault" posts throughout all the x-fi bsod threads did much to derail the investigation and documentation of the issue. Indeed, there were cases where people became angry towards those working towards a solution because all they wanted to do is (wrongly) blame Turbine and their "faulty code."

    Of course, Turbine can play a role in helping to bring this issue to Creative's attention. It's unlikely the BSOD issue would have ever gotten solved without a concerted behind-the-scenes effort by one of Turbine's engineers to bring it to Creative's attention.

    But, when there is a valid work-around (older driver) and only two reports of an issue (I'll need to see if I'm personally affected as well), it's understandable that Turbine isn't dropping everything to chase down a problem that is likely the responsibility of another company (Creative). And, if I may be presumptuous enough to offer some advice: Attributing blame where it doesn't belong as well as demanding something be addressed by a party that isn't responsible for the issue isn't a terribly effective way of enlisting the goodwill and support of people whose help you may end up needing. Especially if this is indeed a very isolated issue affecting only a small number of users (though I'm likely among them).

    --H
    Last edited by Hurin; Jun 04 2014 at 06:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    If it worked with a prior driver, and now fails to work with the current driver, then the issue is more likely to be driver-related than game-related. Thus, it isn't something that needs to be "addressed by Turbine" but is instead likely something that needs to be "addressed by Creative."

    Before assuming I'm just another apologist or contrarian, Please keep in mind that I personally spent over two years trying to get through to people who asserted (sans evidence and contrary to logic) that LotRO's code had to be to blame for the x-fi BSOD issue because "every other game works fine". . . but it did indeed turn out to be Creative's driver that was the culprit (and it took a quite concerted effort on the part of both players and Turbine to replicate the issue and document it to the extent that Creative was convinced to take action years after the problem first surfaced). Suffice it to say that all the angry "Fix it Turbine! It's obviously your fault" posts throughout all the x-fi bsod threads did much to derail the investigation and documentation of the issue. Indeed, there were cases where people became angry towards those working towards a solution because all they wanted to do is (wrongly) blame Turbine and their "faulty code."

    Of course, Turbine can play a role in helping to bring this issue to Creative's attention. It's unlikely the BSOD issue would have ever gotten solved without a concerted behind-the-scenes effort by one of Turbine's engineers to bring it to Creative's attention.

    But, when there is a valid work-around (older driver) and only two reports of an issue (I'll need to see if I'm personally affected as well), it's understandable that Turbine isn't dropping everything to chase down a problem that is likely the responsibility of another company (Creative). And, if I may be presumptuous enough to offer some advice: Attributing blame where it doesn't belong as well as demanding something be addressed by a party that isn't responsible for the issue isn't a terribly effective way of enlisting the goodwill and support of people whose help you may end up needing. Especially if this is indeed a very isolated issue affecting only a small number of users (though I'm likely among them).

    --H
    Hi, I just came back to the game after a year and half to find this problem. Hurin, you may remember me from the BSOD threads. I don't mind reverting the driver, but it did improve sound quality in my other games, so I will be very disappointed if that is the only solution. Game in generic sound works normally btw. Current specs windows 8.1 64bit, sound blaster x-fi fatality pcie.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,135
    Tried the newest driver now myself. And I can confirm that there's an issue. While using hardware sound, I lose just about all sound effects (except some UI affects) within a few minutes.

    Windows 8.1 w/ Update 1, x64, PCI-E X-fi Titanium with driver 6.0.240.8 dated 2/28/2014 and the DTS connect pack.

    Can also confirm that switching LotRO to generic software sound works around the issue (thought that's a bummer).

  10. #10
    I'm also having this issue with latest driver. I'm running windows 7 64bit and get no combat sounds. I updated my driver because I was getting bsod with old drivers so no option to go back.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    I'm also having this issue with latest driver. I'm running windows 7 64bit and get no combat sounds. I updated my driver because I was getting bsod with old drivers so no option to go back.
    You should try the BETA driver dated June 28, 2012. Filename: XFTI_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_17_0 008C.exe

    That should resolve the BSOD issues without introducing this new one.

    --H

  12. #12
    yeah, except that driver causes some other games to have degraded sound (IE Battlefield 4)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    You should try the BETA driver dated June 28, 2012. Filename: XFTI_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_17_0 008C.exe

    That should resolve the BSOD issues without introducing this new one.

    --H
    Thanks will give it a try.

    Update: I couldn't get this driver to work. I'm stuck with the latest driver.
    Last edited by Greymantle; Jun 17 2014 at 04:16 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    Thanks will give it a try.

    Update: I couldn't get this driver to work. I'm stuck with the latest driver.
    That's strange.

    Did you first uninstall all items by Creative under Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program. After doing that, and restarting whenever prompted, go to Device Manager and remove the x-fi itself (and check the box to delete the driver from your system).

    I've had to revert x-fi drivers quite a bit in the past (though not from this current one) and never had any trouble. Let us know how it goes.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    That's strange.

    Did you first uninstall all items by Creative under Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program. After doing that, and restarting whenever prompted, go to Device Manager and remove the x-fi itself (and check the box to delete the driver from your system).

    I've had to revert x-fi drivers quite a bit in the past (though not from this current one) and never had any trouble. Let us know how it goes.
    I have windows 7 home premium. This issue with this is when I remove the driver and reboot windows will auto install a driver it has in its library that you can't stop. *A weakness of home premium* The only thing you can do is update your driver to a newer one. When you try to install creative driver over the driver it won't install due to the driver that is installed is newer.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,135
    When you say it "won't install". . . what is the exact message or error?

    The Creative installer, run directly from the downloaded executable, should overwrite any driver currently installed whether it's newer or older.

    There's a manual uninstaller I can possibly lead you through if necessary. But first, please let me know in a bit more detail exactly how the installation is failing.

    Best,

    H

  17. #17
    Generic sound definitely sucks compared to Sound Blaster sound I miss working audio

  18. #18
    I use the PAX-Driver in W7
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/commun...dition.226835/
    same Problem, only generic software without surround :-( works.
    Last edited by Fangarn; Jul 13 2014 at 03:46 PM.

  19. #19

    Thumbs down

    Well, regardless of who's responsible, this issue was enough for me to drop LotRO altogether. If I upgrade my sound driver and the new driver has notable improvements over the old driver on my current platform of choice (in this case Windows 8.1 64-Bit) and works great with every game I play ... with the exception of LotRO, what conclusion should I draw from that? I actually don't care at all whose fault it is that it doesn't work, I just know it doesn't and that's all that really matters in this particular scenario.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    21

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by SedrynTyros View Post
    Well, regardless of who's responsible, this issue was enough for me to drop LotRO altogether. If I upgrade my sound driver and the new driver has notable improvements over the old driver on my current platform of choice (in this case Windows 8.1 64-Bit) and works great with every game I play ... with the exception of LotRO, what conclusion should I draw from that? I actually don't care at all whose fault it is that it doesn't work, I just know it doesn't and that's all that really matters in this particular scenario.
    I agree. I had to image my drive and when I installed the newest drivers from Creative (v2.30.4) for my SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, I immediatly ran into this problem. I hooked up my PC via HDMI to my TV and didn't have any issues since the sound was running through HDMI. It's the new drivers that are causing the problem for me. When I tried to revert back to the old driver version I believe its v2.15.08 they would not install and said 'this windows platform does not support these driver' or something like that, even though I've had those installed for years before the latest update!!! This is hella frustrating and the DEVs need to get in touch with Creative or find a workaround!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload