We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    53

    Thumbs down Where's the Housing Update?

    Was just looking over U13 notes...No housing update except for some minor rent issues being addressed.

    Wasn't this supposed to arrive before the end of last year?

    Roger

  2. #2
    No idea when it was 'supposed' to be out, but I do know that it will take a significant amount of development time due to the fact that they would have to redesign the system from the ground up to accomplish what most people want. Factor in having to make sure it doesn't delete or break everyone's house that they already have, unless they are going to up front tell you to clear out and buy new houses, and it's even more complicated.

    I know it's long overdue, but it will come when it is ready. Rushing it will only result in something subpar, which no one wants. Of the issues up for feedback, inventory and housing are both up there, so I'm assuming they are both being actively worked on. Inventory hits U13 and I imagine housing will be the next big thing to tackle.
    BAD WOLF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Yes, it was supposed to arrive before the end of last year.

    But, in december 2013 Turbine announced the housing update has been rescheduled to happen somewhere this year. Because (also based on Player Council feedback) they want to deliver more than they were planning to end 2013.

    So you're getting it later, but it'll also be more!

    And that is all I know.

  4. #4
    The housing update is probably in the same basket as the new raids. There's a LOT of empty housing, so it may not be the revenue-maker it once was, so they may not want to put money in it, same as raids.

    We'll see.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Loreineth View Post
    The housing update is probably in the same basket as the new raids. There's a LOT of empty housing, so it may not be the revenue-maker it once was, so they may not want to put money in it, same as raids.

    We'll see.
    They said they are working on housing.

    They said they are not working on raids.

    Pretty easy to see the difference.

  6. #6
    In the Bullroarer live stream it was mentioned that they are working on housing and currently looking at the hook system.

    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post

    Will housing changes allow us random placement, or will we still have hooks
    HoarseDev – Right now they’re prototyping how the new system will work, so he can’t say for sure how it will function, but that is something they will be looking into while prototyping.

    It pays to pay attention to this thread https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-what-was-said even if you dont like the streams or want to participate there is tons of questions that are being answered by Sapience and Developers (and the Exec Producer).
    Welcome to Maitenance Mode
    Me: Please Add Draigoch Scales to the Skrimish Camp or Rep Barter Vendors in Dunland We are 30 Levels Past that Content
    Other forum members: You want it... do the content
    Me: Yeah I see your point
    Other forum members: Please add trait points to the store and more valor options so we dont have to run content
    Me: O.o ... Seriously?

    And when the Devs make fun of how buggy it is in Bingo that should tell you something
    Peace Love and Tacos

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Proud Canuck
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Loreineth View Post
    The housing update is probably in the same basket as the new raids. There's a LOT of empty housing, so it may not be the revenue-maker it once was, so they may not want to put money in it, same as raids.

    We'll see.
    Yes, there is a lot of empty housing, mainly because the initial housing was only a quick fix to address the complaints of MANY, MANY players when the game launched. Since then, nothing has been done to improve housing, they are giving us more and more items that we can potentially place in our houses, but most of the good items have a tendency to take the same, very limited, hook types.

    So lets see, why would someone use LOTRO housing...

    Storage...
    Trophy Display...

    End...

    The idea of the housing revamp is to get people to use the housing. Allowing free-form placement will make a tremendous difference in the amount of time players spend in their housing, and the amount of TPs they will use in decorating it. As the creative potential increases, so does the potential for revenue. The other thing to look at is grind, the ability to upgrade houses, making them larger or adding additions is also another potential revenue stream, it could require a great deal of resources to do upgrades (in the form of harvestable crafting mats? Wood prices are too low anyway compared to iron...), or you could top up with TPs...

    The point is, the more things you have for people to do with their houses, the more potential revenue you have. Same goes for anything really, but housing done right, has been proven to be an enormous time sink... One that is completely cosmetic, and raises very little eyebrows when you offer the store links...

    Just remember, its quite possible that housing may end up paying for that next raid... Honestly, its the one thing that may bring me back to LOTRO... I bought Helms Deep, but have logged twice since it was released. Content lately has been bleh at best.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Loreineth View Post
    The housing update is probably in the same basket as the new raids. There's a LOT of empty housing, so it may not be the revenue-maker it once was, so they may not want to put money in it, same as raids.

    We'll see.
    That is isn't a revenue maker I can well understand as it is such a limited system. But I think that putting time and therefore money into it could make it worth the time and make it a "revenue maker". Take a look at the housing system in EQII where they have spent time and effort and have many players who play just for the fun of creating their own homes - literally from the ground up - the walls, the configurations, the surfaces, the landscape, and a wealth of recipes for crafters to make housing items. It's what I miss the most in EQ2.
    I play LOTRO now for the lore and the questing and the fact that the story line has continuity. And because in LOTRO I don't suddenly sign on and find myself stripped of all my gear every month or so because of some change they've made that requires me to spend tons of in game gold to re-gear. But having a decent housing system would definitely be an added way to keep me in the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a3fe6/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoria View Post
    That is isn't a revenue maker I can well understand as it is such a limited system. But I think that putting time and therefore money into it could make it worth the time and make it a "revenue maker". Take a look at the housing system in EQII where they have spent time and effort and have many players who play just for the fun of creating their own homes - literally from the ground up - the walls, the configurations, the surfaces, the landscape, and a wealth of recipes for crafters to make housing items. It's what I miss the most in EQ2.
    I play LOTRO now for the lore and the questing and the fact that the story line has continuity. And because in LOTRO I don't suddenly sign on and find myself stripped of all my gear every month or so because of some change they've made that requires me to spend tons of in game gold to re-gear. But having a decent housing system would definitely be an added way to keep me in the game.
    I never really had that problem with EQ2. However as you said housing could have been profitable however as has been said before the Dev team has to want to make a profit and clearly Turbine nor WB want this game to make any money. Go figure poor choice on their part.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No idea when it was 'supposed' to be out, but I do know that it will take a significant amount of development time due to the fact that they would have to redesign the system from the ground up to accomplish what most people want.
    Bringing false hopes to the masses, eh? It was officially and explicitly said that the players should not expect major changes and restructuring to housing. The 'significant amount of time' part is true, though.

    Well, if you've been following the dev Q&As that have been happening with the Hobbits to Isengard runs, multiple questions have been asked about housing, and answered by HoarseDev and others, answers which would contradict your claim.
    There is nothing there that contradicts his claim. Again - what was said in the past, numerous times, only confirms his claim.

    Some of the people here like to remind everyone that 'no new instances are planned for 2014, get over it already!!' every time when someone asks a question about that. I find it amusing that these people are now taking the opposite logic path in this case here. Given that the relevant info was also provided, and never changed, several times - no major housing revamp on the way.

  11. #11
    Sapience clearly stated last year the housing revamp was going to be nothing more than a facelift, I haven't seen anything official that says that stance has changed ( maybe I have missed something , I don't read through a lot of stuff any more), so unless there has been something official with regards that, it is still a facelift and nothing more.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...96#post6868696

    edit for clarity,

    Facelift is my term, his actual phrase was "revise and revitalize" but definately not "overhaul and rebuild"

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchir View Post
    Bringing false hopes to the masses, eh? It was officially and explicitly said that the players should not expect major changes and restructuring to housing.
    I think you are confusing hypothetically talking about what would be required to deliver what people have asked for with me stating that is what they are doing. Maybe spend less time trying to weave in insults and more time understanding what was actually said? Additionally, see the next response as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbylobs View Post
    his actual phrase was "revise and revitalize" but definately not "overhaul and rebuild"
    I don't think people understand that in programming doing anything like this is almost certainly rebuilding. While I don't expect they can go as far as free placement pegs, even adding twice the amount of pegs in the system isn't as simple as typing a couple of lines of code to double the pegs and magically housing is revamped. Programming just doesn't work that way.

    Additionally, HDev just said in the livestream that they were 'prototyping the new system'. While this could be as simple as just they are tackling how to upgrade the current one in minor ways, it could also be a sign of bigger things than originally planned. Perhaps they see an opportunity for greater monetization if they put more into housing? Who knows right? At the end of the day their plans have obviously changed and it will take more time to develop and finish.

    You can either be ok with that, hate it, or not care...it doesn't really matter. Dev plans are a little bit like looking into Galadriel's Mirror...things that were, and things that are, and things that may be. *shrug*
    BAD WOLF

  13. #13
    A bit jumpy, aren't we. Perhaps my bad English can't distinguish between more fancy tenses like 'hypothetical future', 'speculative wannabe future' etc., which is probably the reason why I misunderstood you. Insulting you is hardly on my daily list.

    As for the 'next response' you mention... You should probably know that things like 'more', 'less', 'more than...' etc. are relative, not absolute terms. So be careful there, this ice is thin.
    All I'm saying is that the last official info is as described by bobbylobs just above. If that changes - fine. Then there will probably be different info before release. Not holding my breath either case.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I think you are confusing hypothetically talking about what would be required to deliver what people have asked for with me stating that is what they are doing. Maybe spend less time trying to weave in insults and more time understanding what was actually said? Additionally, see the next response as well...

    I don't think people understand that in programming doing anything like this is almost certainly rebuilding. While I don't expect they can go as far as free placement pegs, even adding twice the amount of pegs in the system isn't as simple as typing a couple of lines of code to double the pegs and magically housing is revamped. Programming just doesn't work that way.

    Additionally, HDev just said in the livestream that they were 'prototyping the new system'. While this could be as simple as just they are tackling how to upgrade the current one in minor ways, it could also be a sign of bigger things than originally planned. Perhaps they see an opportunity for greater monetization if they put more into housing? Who knows right? At the end of the day their plans have obviously changed and it will take more time to develop and finish.

    You can either be ok with that, hate it, or not care...it doesn't really matter. Dev plans are a little bit like looking into Galadriel's Mirror...things that were, and things that are, and things that may be. *shrug*
    If the "prototyping the new system" is enough of a statement to refute my claims.. then well run with it, and good luck. I sincerely hope you are right. I personally dont believe it. But you are dead right in your earlier statement, for Turbine to actually do the housing system justice, to meet the needs and expectations of the players, they would have to invest an enormous amount of time and effort. Time and effort that they dont have, considering the mass layoffs WBs is so keen on, and the focus on Infinite Crisis, and of course the many problems the game has right now. Hence my belief that they will jigger the hookpoint system a bit, not give us freeform placement or new housing designs.

    Its not entirely their fault, anyways; the game is old, old and some of the code is from Asherons Call, for goodness sake, more than a decade old. Not to mention that the original coders that built this game are long gone. To do anything spectacular would require a complete rebuild from the ground up, the kind of programming that is usually done when the game is being developed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbylobs View Post
    Sapience clearly stated last year the housing revamp was going to be nothing more than a facelift, I haven't seen anything official that says that stance has changed ( maybe I have missed something , I don't read through a lot of stuff any more), so unless there has been something official with regards that, it is still a facelift and nothing more.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...96#post6868696

    edit for clarity,

    Facelift is my term, his actual phrase was "revise and revitalize" but definately not "overhaul and rebuild"
    Sapience made his statement while the housing update was still planned for 2013. At that point, the time constraints were likely such that only minimal changes could be made in order to hit the deadline. Kate's letter stated that, in a decision at least partially motivated by the Players Council, the housing update would be pushed back into 2014 (although no official date range in 2014 was given) to accomplish something more with the update than just the superficial changes mentioned by Sapience.

    There have been personnel changes since then, but the fact that Rowan hasn't mentioned any change in direction on the housing update leads me to believe it's moving forward for a 2014 release. As others have stated, I have high hopes but tempered expectations. Here's hoping they make houses (and neighborhoods) places which we'll all want to visit again.

    -Thundertrain
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
    "No matter where you go, there you are." -Confucius

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload