We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question on a few expansion/quest packs as well as travelling there

So I'm not really new to LOTRO, started years ago but once a bunch of friends I started playing it with stopped playing, I did too for quite some time. Just picked it up again recently though since I want to complete at least some of the main questlines, but really for me the draw to the game is just flat out exploring Middle Earth regardless of quests and progression.

I am leaving in a couple months though for basic training so I wanted to just get as far as I could in this before I have to again stop playing for quite a while. Right now my character is only level 30 so I know I am still fairly limited in travel destinations, but I planned out what I wanted to accomplish in that time. I planned on doing the Evendim and maybe North Downs quest packs, since I love the ranger style and that's what my character is based on, so spending time up north is a must for me. After that though I wanted to head south more towards Isengard and explore there, in what appears to be part of the Isengard expansion (big surprise). Mainly I wanted to explore Dunland, Eregion, Endewaith, and maybe Moria and parts of Rohan.

The other night I tried going as far south as I could from the Trollshaws despite my low level and mobs chasing me relentlessly. But I got to the south of Eregion and couldn't find any way to go farther south (parlty due to being chased nonstop my mobs screwing with the time I had to actually navigate). The only place I did find that looked right was the loading gate in the southwest and I wasn't allowed to pass through that.

So my question is just what all will I need to actually get to Isengard and Dunland and be able to do quests there? Am I not allowed beyond Eregion until I am a certain level or have certain quest then? And what's the best way to get there once I can?

Quote Originally Posted by Haderus View Post
    So I'm not really new to LOTRO, started years ago but once a bunch of friends I started playing it with stopped playing, I did too for quite some time. Just picked it up again recently though since I want to complete at least some of the main questlines, but really for me the draw to the game is just flat out exploring Middle Earth regardless of quests and progression.

I am leaving in a couple months though for basic training so I wanted to just get as far as I could in this before I have to again stop playing for quite a while. Right now my character is only level 30 so I know I am still fairly limited in travel destinations, but I planned out what I wanted to accomplish in that time. I planned on doing the Evendim and maybe North Downs quest packs, since I love the ranger style and that's what my character is based on, so spending time up north is a must for me. After that though I wanted to head south more towards Isengard and explore there, in what appears to be part of the Isengard expansion (big surprise). Mainly I wanted to explore Dunland, Eregion, Endewaith, and maybe Moria and parts of Rohan.

The other night I tried going as far south as I could from the Trollshaws despite my low level and mobs chasing me relentlessly. But I got to the south of Eregion and couldn't find any way to go farther south (parlty due to being chased nonstop my mobs screwing with the time I had to actually navigate). The only place I did find that looked right was the loading gate in the southwest and I wasn't allowed to pass through that.

So my question is just what all will I need to actually get to Isengard and Dunland and be able to do quests there? Am I not allowed beyond Eregion until I am a certain level or have certain quest then? And what's the best way to get there once I can?

You should be able to just go south through Eregion and eventually come to Enedwaith. Continuing all the way through Enedwaith you should eventually reach Dunland.
    AFAIK there are no special level or quest requirements to reach those areas.
    Of course, if you are not high enough level there will be plenty of mobs that will try (and quite likely succeed) to kill you as soon as they see you.
    (Enedwaith is a level 61-65 area, while Dunland/Isengard is for levels 65-75.)

The best way to reach Isengard is to go through Eregion and Enedwaith. To do quests in Dunland/Isengard you need the Rise of Isengard expansion (or the corresponding questpack.)

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    You should be able to just go south through Eregion and eventually come to Enedwaith. Continuing all the way through Enedwaith you should eventually reach Dunland.
    AFAIK there are no special level or quest requirements to reach those areas.
    Of course, if you are not high enough level there will be plenty of mobs that will try (and quite likely succeed) to kill you as soon as they see you.
    (Enedwaith is a level 61-65 area, while Dunland/Isengard is for levels 65-75.)

The best way to reach Isengard is to go through Eregion and Enedwaith. To do quests in Dunland/Isengard you need the Rise of Isengard expansion (or the corresponding questpack.)
    So then do I need the expansion and the quest pack? I'm assuming the expansion is just like a main story questline you do then? My confusion is just do I need the expansion alone or that plus the questpack to do everything in the area?

As far as getting there, I know the mobs will be a pain in the ### but I'm willing to try just to explore a little. The map confused me though and because I can't take much time at all to look at it once in Eregion because I'm constantly being chased down, I just don't know where to go to actually get from Eregion to Enedwaith and from there to Dunland.

An expansion typically comes with bonus material or content -- something besides just the ability to do quests. I believe the Moria expansion included the two "new" classes, Isengard expansion includes the group content for the area. If you buy only the Isengard quest pack you do not get that extra content, only access to the quests. As in any region, you will need to be a high enough level (typically 5 below quest level, I believe the lowest quests in Dunland are about level 65?) before any quest is available for you to accept.

You do not need either the expansion OR the quest pack if all you want to do is ride around and look at the landscape, but you will need one or the other to complete quests in that area.

To get to Enedwaith you will want to ride south from Eregion. You already saw the portal into the Walls of Moria near Echad Dunann (for which you need to be level....45 I believe, and accept a quest from someone near that portal). South of Echad Dunann is a dried riverbed that runs fairly east-west across the south edge of Eregion. The map does not show a clear connection between Eregion and Enedwaith, but if you cross that riverbed and continue south you will get into Enedwaith and your map will change to match. There is kind of an off-map region between the two, when your little red triangle will appear to be off both maps if you look at them.

The last time I rode between the two I went to Echad Mirobel in Eregion and headed east a bit then as due south as I could manage around/between mobs and mountains.

Once in Enedwaith there is a road that heads due south to Dunland, much easier to follow than the transition between Eregion and Enedwaith.

Good luck exploring Middle Earth!

So then do I need the expansion and the quest pack? I'm assuming the expansion is just like a main story questline you do then? My confusion is just do I need the expansion alone or that plus the questpack to do everything in the area?

As far as getting there, I know the mobs will be a pain in the ### but I'm willing to try just to explore a little. The map confused me though and because I can't take much time at all to look at it once in Eregion because I'm constantly being chased down, I just don't know where to go to actually get from Eregion to Enedwaith and from there to Dunland.
    A quest pack gives you access to the normal quests and deeds in the corresponding area. (The Epic questline is free for all up till Helm's Deep. There you must buy the HD expansion to get access to the Epic questline.)
    An expansion is a quest pack + some other stuff. (So there is never any need to buy both the expansion and the questpack, since the questpack is included in the expansion.)
    In the case of Rise of Isengard the extra stuff is the Isengard instance cluster, the Draigoch raid and an increase in maximum skirmish soldier rank. If you don't care about any of that you can get by with just the questpack.

To get from Eregion to Enedwaith you just go straight south. There is a fairly long stretch of mostly empty wilderness and then you are in Enedwaith.
    In Enedwaith there is a North-south road going through much of the area. Following that road south will lead you into Dunland.

This portal gate is level restricted. Your character has to be level 45 to get in. Once you get to 45, you pick up the available to everyone Epic Line - Volume 2, Book 1. Go thru the portal. Complete Book 1 which opens the door to get into Moria. Moria is both level and quest locked. Without the Moria unlock there is no way to walk to the Great River, Lothlorien or Mirkwood regions.

East Angmar is another level and quest locked area. Characters that have not completed the unlock sequence are instantly killed every time they try to enter East Angmar. Again it is a Epic book. Volume 1, Book 6 in this case. Mirkwood is a third level and quest locked area.

Both Mirkwood and Moria were implemented this way in order to keep the server from crashing when these two expansion packs went live and hundreds of people flooded the area to access the new content. Turbine developed a better of method of handling land rushes after Mirkwood.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    This portal gate is level restricted. Your character has to be level 45 to get in. Once you get to 45, you pick up the available to everyone Epic Line - Volume 2, Book 1. Go thru the portal. Complete Book 1 which opens the door to get into Moria. Moria is both level and quest locked. Without the Moria unlock there is no way to walk to the Great River, Lothlorien or Mirkwood regions.
    The entrance to Moria is in the south-EAST part of Eregion, not the south-west. There is another portal in the south-west part, near Mirobel, which I suspect is what the OP was referring to. That portal is used in Book 14, Chapter 15 of Vol 1 of the Epic.

My memory may be foggy here... but to get from Eregion to Eneidwaith, you need to run to the southeast and cross the dry riverbed. If you are over by Mirobel, you need to pass a range of hills to the east before you can cut south again. If you reach the portal to the Walls of Moria, you can go directly south, or might need to go a bit west in order to go south again.

Sadly, you will need to be at least 45 to see Moria, and Lothlorien beyond it. You'll need to be at least 55 to do the entry quests for Mirkwood. You might be able to get to the Great River region from Lothlorien without further quest requirements. If you can get to Great River, you can run over the bridge to West Rohan and off to Wildermore and East Rohan (Helm's Deep). Of course, if you are level 30 even the RABBITS will chase you forever, so good luck!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

In southern Eregion, across the dry streambed of the Sirannon about halfway between Echad Dunnan and Echad Mirobel, there is a dirt track leading south through Emyn Naer. That takes you to a ford across the next stream near the Dunlending fort Porth Cadlus. From there, a better looking dirt road takes you uphil into Enedwaith and has a paved branch to the right into Ranger-controlled Echad Dagorlas.

Several years ago in the beta for Rise of Isengard, I recall someone boasting that they'd gotten a level 15 character all the way south to Galtrev in Dunland before their dodge-n-weave fu gave out and they got killed by the horde they attracted.

If you should wish to try this sort of thing in Eregion or anywhere, this map site can help a bit:

http://dynmap.ruslotro.com/#Eregion

Evendim QP will take care of your levelling from 30-40. North Downs is more like 22-35, but you can certainly visit and do the Epic there for it's Rangerly goodness without spending money.

If you can spare $30, you might find it easier to pay for a 3 month sub and have access to all of the old Shadows of Angmar content before you start basic. You can muck around in Moria as a tourist doing the Epic quest line without buying it. You'll get 500 TP/month as a subscriber, so you could purchase Enedwaith and head toward Dunland if you get near the level 60 start point for Enedwaith. Note that there are no Rangers in Moria or east of there in Lorien and Mirkwood. Ranger NPCs are in Enedwaith and south into Dunland. Lotsa Ranger related quests in Enedwaith.

Have fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com