We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Key Mapping not Saving. How to fix?

Recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. Am having 2 issues I can't seem to fix.

1. When I create my own key-maps, primarily for movement, even after hitting Accept, the settings aren't saving. They work fine during the current session, but when I log back in after leaving the game, the key maps are all reset back to Default settings.

2. Under Windows XP, if I needed to get back to desktop (even while in full-screen mode), ALT-Tab minimized LOTRO to the system tray, still running, and brought me back to desktop, where I could perform another function. With Windows 7, nothing happens.

Anyone know what's up with this? Could sure use some help.

Don't know what's happening with number 1. Seems to work ok for me but I haven't changed much, more added a few.

As for 2, try Alt+Enter.

Something that might help with the Alt-Tab problem is to start something, anything, before starting LOTRO. While you might have trouble alt-tabbing to desktop, I think you can always alt-tab to another app. I always keep a browser open when I play LOTRO and can alt-tab to it with ease. Some of my kinnies are kinda low on horsepower for a browser, so they just open NOTEPAD with no file or with some file of simple data that they've saved for reference.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

The game software is hard coded to read one specific file for your key map. For my PC under Windows 7 that file would be
    c:\Users\User_name\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\lotro.keymap

If you want more than one key map file what you have to is something along this line:
    1) While inside the game with a character make all the changes you want.
    2) Log out of the game. Wait for the character select screen to become ready to allow a character to enter the game.
    3) Exit to the desktop.
    4) Copy lotro.keymap to move1.keymap

You repeat this procedure using a different file name for each key mapping. When you want to use one of your saved key maps, you copy move1.keymap to lotro.keymap before starting up the Lotro launcher. You decide you want change something make the key map change. Over write move1.keymap with lotro.keymap.

It is very detail oriented time consuming and somewhat painful process to have to have more than one key map file.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Something that might help with the Alt-Tab problem is to start something, anything, before starting LOTRO.
    On my own Windows 7 system, it suffices to leave the launcher itself open while I play the game. Alt+Tab brings me to my desktop with the open launcher window on it.

In the launcher window, in the blue bar atop the window, there is a little icon looking like an arrow pointing down. Clicking that lets you chose "Options". In he panel that gets opened then, choose the "General" tab and enable "Keep launcher open". Confirm with "OK" and you should be fine.

As far as the key-mapping issue goes, have you checked if "Documents -> The Lord of the Rings Online -> lotro.keymap" is currently read-only? You can right-click the file in your Windows Explorer and select "Properties". Towards the bottom of the panel there is a check-box for "Read-only", which should be disabled in order to change the file.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Thanks for the replies.

Double checked properties on the keymap file and the Read Only box is unchecked. LOTRO is also running as Administrator. The game just isn't updating the file. Its last modified date is two days ago which is when I installed LOTRO on this computer. So frustrating.

I'm having exactly the same problem . I'm resintalling the game . If I can't fix it I think I will be giving up on lotro . Its too frustrating to set them every time I want to play .

I've seen this when I exit the game in any fashion other than a controlled log out. Log the character out and allow the game to show the character select screen with the buttons active (not grey). Then log out. If things don't happen in this order, for me, any changes to the preferences file or the key map file will not be saved. I think the client caches these files and only flushes the cache when the client exits cleanly (the order I mentioned).
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Bordolek
    Issue 1: Keymapping
    This seems odd because if the Launcher is running as Admin, then anything it invokes should inherit it's UAC setting. The only thing that comes to mind is, did you try to overwrite a new keymap file with an old one? That old file might have had a different owner and/or security settings, causing Win 7 to reject the changes you're trying to make. You might have done this if you copied an old My Documents>LotRO folder. Whatever is happening, my guess is it is a security issue of some kind. Either through Win 7 UAC and/or your Antivirus/Firewall sandboxing LotRO.

Issue 2: Alt + Tab
    I'm an Alt+Tabber from way back. That combo should work to switch between LotRO and the desktop for any version of Windows since Win XP SP1, if not earlier (Win 95?).

I know that with Windows 8.0 switching without another running program (anything - even the calculator) will result in a grey/black blank screen. It does not return you to your desktop with it's background image and icons. It is very easy to mistake this black screen for a glitch, Alt+Tab again, and go right back into LotRO assuming you cannot switch. There is also a noticeable delay - 12 sec or so; this might be system related (memory or graphics) so YMMV.

I'm aware you're using Wndows 7, but I cannot recall exactly what happened when I Alt+Tabbed on that OS. I know that it switched apps like it's supposed to. I do some editing at Lotro-wiki.com so I would definitely be swapping on a very regular basis; if it failed to swap, I would not have been able to complete edits. I just cannot recall if there was a delay, if you needed an open app, or any other peculiarities.

CDQ1958
    Excellent point! Make sure you're not using the Window Close widget, Alt+F4, Task Manager or anything else to terminate LotRO. Only end a play session in an approved method.

Bring up the System Menu within the game and then chose either Logout Character followed by Quit, or simply Exit Game from the menu. Anything else might leave LotRO in an intermediate state where it has data to write to disk but never gets the directive to actually do so because this house-cleaning gets called only on termination.

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    [I'm an Alt+Tabber from way back. That combo should work to switch between LotRO and the desktop for any version of Windows since Win XP SP1, if not earlier (Win 95?).

This has not worked without another application running since at least Windows XP. You may be confused as sometimes it can be an application that shows no GUI.

CDQ1958
    Excellent point! Make sure you're not using the Window Close widget, Alt+F4, Task Manager or anything else to terminate LotRO. Only end a play session in an approved method.

Bring up the System Menu within the game and then chose either Logout Character followed by Quit, or simply Exit Game from the menu. Anything else might leave LotRO in an intermediate state where it has data to write to disk but never gets the directive to actually do so because this house-cleaning gets called only on termination.
    You have misunderstood this post. Do not use the Exit Game option in-game but log out to the Character Select screen then wait a little before exiting the client. Who would really use the other options you mention to leave a game?
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    You have misunderstood this post. Do not use the Exit Game option in-game but log out to the Character Select screen then wait a little before exiting the client. Who would really use the other options you mention to leave a game?
    I typically exit LotRO using the Exit Game options rather than logging out to Character Select. I also walk away from the computer sometimes for long enough that it logs me out all by itself... but both work to successfully save my keyfile.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

I had the same issue and run the launcher as Admin works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I typically exit LotRO using the Exit Game options rather than logging out to Character Select. I also walk away from the computer sometimes for long enough that it logs me out all by itself... but both work to successfully save my keyfile.
    I do as well, but then I'm not having the issue that was reported here so I don't need to worry.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bordolek View Post
    Recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. Am having 2 issues I can't seem to fix.

1. When I create my own key-maps, primarily for movement, even after hitting Accept, the settings aren't saving. They work fine during the current session, but when I log back in after leaving the game, the key maps are all reset back to Default settings.

2. Under Windows XP, if I needed to get back to desktop (even while in full-screen mode), ALT-Tab minimized LOTRO to the system tray, still running, and brought me back to desktop, where I could perform another function. With Windows 7, nothing happens.

wondows 7 never let me do alt-tab. I always had to go into and change the button from full screen and say yes to changes, then I could look, (google), for info on the game. just a note, DO NOT GET Windows 8 or 8.1.... all your keymapings will disappear daily, you have no access, even as administrator to install into program files or even look at the keymapping file in the game file.. much more.. I am going back to windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
    wondows 7 never let me do alt-tab. I always had to go into and change the button from full screen and say yes to changes, then I could look, (google), for info on the game. just a note, DO NOT GET Windows 8 or 8.1.... all your keymapings will disappear daily, you have no access, even as administrator to install into program files or even look at the keymapping file in the game file.. much more.. I am going back to windows 7.
    I have a Windows 8.1 and a Windows 7 machine -- the 8.1 has no keymapping problems, but my 7 machine has the exact problem detailed in this thread. I actually haven't had any problems with LOTRO on my 8.1 machine (to my continued surprise)!
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Bordolek View Post

Windows 8.1 was just doing the same to me. I could not even open up the file , keymapping, in the games file... I looked for days on how to fix. nothing worked. I did not have permission to even view it so then I did not have permission to write to it, thus it never saved. I DELETED IT. then started the game and re mapped the keys, being left handed its the only way I can play. checked and now I have access to file, closed game, opened up to a dif server and its still working. hope this helps.

17. [QUOTE=Bordolek;7123935]Recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. Am having 2 issues I can't seem to fix.

Ok i had this same problem here is how I fixed it. I deleted the lotro.keymap then opened the game and did my mapping and hit accept. then the lotro.keymap popped back up. logged into the game and it was fixed. logged in several times now with any reverts so its all good. So basically you make your own lotro.keymap and it has nothing else to revert back to.