We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question How to level cooking without a farmer?

I recently made a new alt and made her a tinker. None of my characters are farmers, and I don't want to make another alt just so I can make a farmer. Is there a specific way I can level my tinkers cook profession without farmed foods, or spending money in the AH all the time?

Also, the cooking profession is confusing me, I have no idea how to make these recipes and where to get ingredients from etc. (probably sound like a noob, but I'm so used to easy ones like woodworker, forester, jeweller, etc.) could someone explain the basics? Or where to get ingredients from? I've tried looking at guides on the internet, but none are helping me.
    [center][IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/k03jwp.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf-Kirsty View Post
    I recently made a new alt and made her a tinker. None of my characters are farmers, and I don't want to make another alt just so I can make a farmer. Is there a specific way I can level my tinkers cook profession without farmed foods, or spending money in the AH all the time?
    No.

Either ignore Cooking, or create an alt/bribe a friend to feed you with the raw food ingredients to Cook with.

Personally, I'd ignore Cooking. If you want to make food, roll a Yeoman.
    Also, the cooking profession is confusing me, I have no idea how to make these recipes and where to get ingredients from etc. (probably sound like a noob, but I'm so used to easy ones like woodworker, forester, jeweller, etc.) could someone explain the basics? Or where to get ingredients from? I've tried looking at guides on the internet, but none are helping me.
    I'm not sure what the source of your confusion is... Professions are either about Gathering raw goods and refining it to useable goods, or are about Crafting the useable good into finished products.
    • Gathering
      • Farmer - Plants crops, picks crops, refines to ingredients for Cooks.
      • Forester - Gathers wood, refines to planks for Woodworkers. Refines hides to leathers for Tailors.
      • Prospector - Gathers ore, refines to Ingots for Jewellers, Metalsmiths and Weaponsmiths.
      • Scholars* - Gathers scraps of lore.
    • Crafting
      • Cook - Uses ingredients to make food.
      • Jeweller - Polishes gems. Uses ingots and gems to make Jewellery.
      • Metalsmith - Uses ingots to make heavy armor, shields and crafting tools.
      • Scholar* - Turns scraps of lore into consumables (ie. potions, damage mastery/mitigations, crafting crit chance, etc.)
      • Tailor - Uses leathers to make light and medium armor.
      • Weaponsmith - Uses ingots to make weapons (ie. axes, daggers, swords, etc.)
      • Woodworker - Uses planks to make weapons (ie. bows, clubs, javelins, spears, staves, etc.) and instruments.

*Scholars both gather raw materials and craft them into usable goods.
    Do you have a specific question about them?

You will find it's better to just start another character or go Yeoman, cap cook, then move to Tinkerer. You will keep the cook or any carry over crafting classes when changing vocations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioci View Post
    You will find it's better to just start another character or go Yeoman, cap cook, then move to Tinkerer. You will keep the cook or any carry over crafting classes when changing vocations.
    That's true, but the next time they release a new tier of crafting you will be without a farmer to supply mats for the new tier of cook.

Is there a reason the OP is keen to have a cook? Do you have most of the other professions covered yet? In my experience, I find my cook does the least crafting of all my alts. It is a pain to level and I get more bang for my buck crafting armour, jewelry and weapons. YMMV

When advancing your cook, there are always recipes in the "ingredients" sub-menu. Those ingredients are composed of materials you farm and/or buy from a provisioner. Once you make the ingredients, you combine them with other items you farm and/or buy from a provisioner to make the final product you want. That said, there are some recipes that skip the ingredient step, but if you're confused as to how to make stuff, keep that basic progression in mind.
    Officer in Windfola's House of Blackrock: a great, casual kin of people who play a lot. [url]http://hobonline.org[/url]

Not sure if you're new, but ingredients on the AH are very cheap once you get to higher levels and are making 30 silver for every mob you're killing--you can get a stack of 100 of most anything for between 20 and 400 silver, aside from the latest, most popular stuff. If you're wanting to be at level cap, making the most recent foods, sure, become a Yeoman. But if that's your playstyle, a Tinker will be much better suited, as jewelry is much more essential than food, and you can just buy food. You can even get by rather easily on food one tier below cap.

So basically, I suggest buying ingredients off the AH, or at least finding a dedicated farmer who will supply, on request, anything you need. Many servers have (or at least HAD) a few very dedicated roleplaying farmers.

Barring that, it's pretty useful to have a Historian. I know you mentioned that you don't want another character, but if you feel the need to make food, potions and scrolls are also going to be similarly important, so having one will allow you to both farm and go about scholarly pursuits.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

If you're looking to level your 'Cook' profession as a Tinker, your best friend would be either Historian or Woodworker.

They can supply you with all the ingredients you need.

Failing which, its best to create an alt Yeoman or farmer.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000007617a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

If you play in Riddermark, i farm & cook a lot for my kinship, and we can make a good deal about the mats you need. Send me a mail to Olgomil toon.

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

I have no idea how to make these recipes and where to get ingredients from etc. (probably sound like a noob, but I'm so used to easy ones like woodworker, forester, jeweller, etc.) could someone explain the basics? Or where to get ingredients from? I've tried looking at guides on the internet, but none are helping me.
    The cook vendor sells pretty much all of the lower recipies, if not actually all of them.
    You pretty much get the basics, flour, vegtables etc, from the farming then make ingredients, that then go into your finished product.
    Usually mixed with some of the vendor items.

Quote Originally Posted by BlancoFallowhide View Post
    Is there a reason the OP is keen to have a cook? Do you have most of the other professions covered yet? In my experience, I find my cook does the least crafting of all my alts. It is a pain to level and I get more bang for my buck crafting armour, jewelry and weapons. YMMV
    However, if you have leveled up and ignored crafting on your main char, and then realize later, that you need fulll guild reputation to make the best crafted relics available for your Legendary Items (bound to char / bound on acquire!), the easiest way to achieve this is to make your main a Yeoman, complete all tiers of crafting in cooking, joining the cooks guild and building up your reputation. For the other professions it it pretty time-consuming or expensive to gather the resources after leveling the char.

Besides that, deconstructing crafted relics at the Relic Master is a good way to get legendary shards needed for creating special relics legendary items. It is easy to get Compendiums of Middle Earth III and IV in the respective instances and get the ingredients for the "Feast of the ..." and "Grand Feast of the ...." cook recipes.
    Last edited by Raffazahn; Mar 25 2014 at 08:26 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2621a000000195df4/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]