SUMMARY: Change Hytbold-exclusive furniture items (bookcases, bureaus, credenzas, cupboards, bookcases, and dressers) FROM “Large Furniture” to “Large Wall” decoration items.

WHY: To satisfy the precedent set by previous decoration items that serve as bookcases, dressers, cupboards, etc. (Most if not all of the pre-Riders of Rohan decoration items of these types were Large Wall) Also using in-real-life logic, no one puts a dresser, cupboard, or a bookcase anywhere except directly in front of a wall.

WHO: I believe this would benefit all players who would like to see housing become aesthetically useful at the minimum and also serve to remind players that Turbine actually does care about making little changes to add quality to player experience.

On the date of (Riders of Rohan release date), the Hytbold dailies were added to Lord of the Rings Online as part of the Riders of Rohan expansion. These dailies, for those not familiar with this aspect of the game, involved the rebuilding of the ruined town of Hytbold in the Eastemnet of Rohan over a long period of time in order to restore the town to its former glory.

The rewards for the activity were gated by which parts of the town you rebuilt. But after rebuilding certain parts of the town, you could exchange Hytbold tokens (you can earn up to 25 per day, more with Mithril Coins) for rebuilding more of the town, housing furniture, or level 85 entry level grouping gear. Another secondary reward was the ability to run special instances located in Hytbold to garner crafting materials (much like the Iron Garrison Resource Dungeons).

The purpose of this suggestion is concerning the Hytbold housing furniture. I remember when Riders of Rohan was released and I looked up the pictures online of the new decorations and found myself beyond excited. I had been playing for some time and had always been bored the often bland decoration options we had as players to spice up the visuals inside our player-owned personal and kinship houses. I thought to myself, “I can’t wait to be able to do Hytbold!!!”

I find myself in a frustrating position eighteen months later. I have finally realized that the cupboards, dressers, bookcases, credenzas, and bureaus that you can barter for in Hytbold are placed in “Large Furniture” hooks. Previously, items of that nature were places in “Large Wall” hooks. I ask you to think of this logically. In real life, would you (developers and players alike) put a dresser in the middle of a room? What about a bookcase? A cupboard? So why on Middle-earth, eighteen months later are these still large furniture items?

Some may ask why I am worried about such a “minor flaw” in a much maligned housing system when there are more important issues to be dealt with in said system. I don’t intend for this to take away from the larger picture. Housing needs a total revamp yes. But too often we get carried away with the bigger picture and we do not see these small, yet still important issues and therefore we completely miss them. This suggestion can either be a part of the housing revamp or it can be a standalone fix. Either way, this will add some level of quality back into the game experience of those who value the housing system for immersive roleplay or those who simply enjoy the hobby of making a neat house.

The whole reason this is even an issue is because Turbine overlooked this, in the midst of an expansion. Eighteen months (or more if you count the time Riders of Rohan was in beta) later, it is time for this issue to be fixed.