We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

A few changes for Bullroarer Testing in 2014.

Starting with our next update, some changes are being made about how Bullroarer testing will happen.

• Bullroarer will only be open during weekends. Typically from Thursday through Monday barring any delays or adjustments the team wishes to make.
    • Before each new round of testing all threads in the Bullroarer subforums will be locked. This is to help cut down on necroposting to threads and other distractions from the current test and feedback requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Starting with our next update, some changes are being made about how Bullroarer testing will happen.

• Bullroarer will only be open during weekends. Typically from Thursday through Monday barring any delays or adjustments the team wishes to make.
    • Before each new round of testing all threads in the Bullroarer subforums will be locked. This is to help cut down on necroposting to threads and other distractions from the current test and feedback requests.
    Sounds reasonable for testing purposes. Any idea whether updates will get multiple weekends of testing (as a general rule)? That would allow for any changes based on feedback from the first weekend to be tested again on the next.

(Also, I don't want to read too much into the first part, but...is there a set start day/time planned for Bullroarer this week? )

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Sounds reasonable for testing purposes.

I don't want to read too much into the first part, but...is there a set start day/time planned for Bullroarer this week?
    If I were a betting lass i'd stick my neck on 2pm EDT Thursday
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Suggestion...

Suggestion...

Want to increase VIP accounts? Only open BR to VIP players.
    Note: My posts are my OPINION, and are NOT intended to "troll", "provoke", "bait" or "harass".
    If my posts are taken as such, then I humbly apologize in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
    Suggestion...

While it could be an interesting "perk" this could end up causing additional problems from lack of complete data. If Bullroarer is really being used for test purposes, I think I'd rather it be accessed by all account tiers, not just VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
    Suggestion...

While this would be a very simple change to make (Literally like flipping a switch). My limited testing experience suggests that a lot more Premium/F2P players take the time to test there.

Additionally, it means they will have a hard time testing 'content gates' such as the upcoming 'Ettenmoors Pass' and purchases of the new areas.
    Last edited by Crell_1; Mar 12 2014 at 02:03 PM.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

For each round of testing, do you mean each update such as 13, 13.1 13.2 or do you mean each weekend there is a new build for U13, etc?

I'm assuming you meant each update, so that U13 threads are locked before 13.1 is out, and not each weekend of U13 testing, but it isn't quite clear to me. Keeping discussions going for an update doesn't qualify as necro'ing a thread imo.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesse View Post
    I'm assuming you meant each update, so that U13 threads are locked before 13.1 is out, and not each weekend of U13 testing, but it isn't quite clear to me. Keeping discussions going for an update doesn't qualify as necro'ing a thread imo.
    Correct.

So for example all of the 12.1, 12.2, and 12.3 threads are locked now. 13 threads will be locked ahead of 13.1 being put on Bullroarer etc.

Could you clarify on times, barring any interruption to the schedule? You say both weekends and Thurs-Mon. When I read weekends I'm thinking exclusively Saturday and Sunday. *confuzzled*
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Could you clarify on times, barring any interruption to the schedule? You say both weekends and Thurs-Mon. When I read weekends I'm thinking exclusively Saturday and Sunday. *confuzzled*
    It is fairly common for "weekend" events to start at some point (possibly very late) on Thursday and run through to some point (possibly very early) on Monday.
    (For instance, I think Steam's Weekend Deals starts at 10am Pacific on Thursday and ends 10am Pacific Monday.)

In the case of Bullroarer, though, I'd wait until there are specific official announcements since any number of things can probably change a schedule. I was trying to prod for just such an official announcement, but I think I failed.

What is the reasoning behind this?

One of the complaints seen in the beta process here is that often times (new) bugs found and reported during the beta cycle make it into the live updates. Is this new process part of a change in how betas are reviewed by turbine (possibly extending beta timetables?) so that feedback can be given in more controlled periods of time, with specific other time left to address it, rather than having a continuous stream of input?

Or is this more of a resource saving mechanism?

or something else?
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

The new procedure to the way the company I work for handles Betas. Our process is:

1) Deliver a Beta load
    2) Open for testing and comments.
    3) Shut down comments and testing
    4) Review all the data
    5) Generate fixes for some of the problems
    6) Go back to 1

At the end of the Beta cycle, we will generate a release load to give to our customers. This release load will have corrections for those bugs management determined had to be fixed prior to live deployment. Some defects will be reported in Beta 1 - most likely reported during internal testing. These bugs will not fixed in any of the Beta loads. They will not fixed in the delivery to live. The fix maybe anywhere from 1 month after live deployment to never. There are bugs in applications that I have worked on at various jobs that have bugs were detected in 1983. It was 1999. There is a management comment saying - Do not fix it.

It is something as a user of software that you have to get used to. There is something that seriously annoys because it is wrong. It is either going to take a very long time to get fixed. May never get fixed. It is something I had to get used to as a developer. Having to working on applications that had 300 - 600 or more known defects that management would not allow us to fix. We never published this list to our customers. It would upset the customers.

If a customer had a hot button bug that was on the list, we would tell them. We are not going to fix it. Remind them that they accepted a Non Disclosure Agreement to get this kind of information about their problems. This NDA did not allow them to discuss anything about their issues outside of the small group of authorized people.

Anytime I went to a customer site or dealt with customers I always had a public relation person(s) as minders to make sure I did not talk about anything restricted. Somebody would ask a question. I would look at my minder to see if I was allowed to respond. In some cases I would talk to minder privately. Let the minder handle the discussion.

I mostly liked meeting the customers. That way I could get unfiltered information from our customers. Pass it on to other parts of development. Some customers were evil, foul, bitter, nasty. Profanity laced conversations at maximum volume output from the customer. Threats. I even had one that lunged across a table to throttle me. Thank goodness for quick reaction beefy sturdy minders.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    What is the reasoning behind this?

One of the complaints seen in the beta process here is that often times (new) bugs found and reported during the beta cycle make it into the live updates. Is this new process part of a change in how betas are reviewed by turbine (possibly extending beta timetables?) so that feedback can be given in more controlled periods of time, with specific other time left to address it, rather than having a continuous stream of input?

Or is this more of a resource saving mechanism?

or something else?

Might have something to do with ensuring a certain player density. ESO has been holding weekend beta's so that more people log in at once instead of being spread out throughout the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

At the end of the Beta cycle, we will generate a release load to give to our customers.

I mostly liked meeting the customers. .
    Snip for the fun bits. Innuendo much? I bet you enjoyed it, cheeky boy.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

cant wait for it to reopen see you all in there

The new procedure to the way the company I work for handles Betas. Our process is:

1) Deliver a Beta load
    2) Open for testing and comments.
    3) Shut down comments and testing
    4) Review all the data
    5) Generate fixes for some of the problems
    6) Go back to 1

At the end of the Beta cycle, we will generate a release load to give to our customers. This release load will have corrections for those bugs management determined had to be fixed prior to live deployment. Some defects will be reported in Beta 1 - most likely reported during internal testing. These bugs will not fixed in any of the Beta loads. They will not fixed in the delivery to live. The fix maybe anywhere from 1 month after live deployment to never. There are bugs in applications that I have worked on at various jobs that have bugs were detected in 1983. It was 1999. There is a management comment saying - Do not fix it.

It is something as a user of software that you have to get used to. There is something that seriously annoys because it is wrong. It is either going to take a very long time to get fixed. May never get fixed. It is something I had to get used to as a developer. Having to working on applications that had 300 - 600 or more known defects that management would not allow us to fix. We never published this list to our customers. It would upset the customers.

If a customer had a hot button bug that was on the list, we would tell them. We are not going to fix it. Remind them that they accepted a Non Disclosure Agreement to get this kind of information about their problems. This NDA did not allow them to discuss anything about their issues outside of the small group of authorized people.

Anytime I went to a customer site or dealt with customers I always had a public relation person(s) as minders to make sure I did not talk about anything restricted. Somebody would ask a question. I would look at my minder to see if I was allowed to respond. In some cases I would talk to minder privately. Let the minder handle the discussion.

I mostly liked meeting the customers. That way I could get unfiltered information from our customers. Pass it on to other parts of development. Some customers were evil, foul, bitter, nasty. Profanity laced conversations at maximum volume output from the customer. Threats. I even had one that lunged across a table to throttle me. Thank goodness for quick reaction beefy sturdy minders.
    Yep. I've worked in similar realms, and that is the case. There are only so many development hours, only so many resources, only so many issues that are considered essential to the core product. That is something a lot of people don't understand. As a user I do understand and accept it, but I also get the frustration others feel. Ahh, the poor idealists!

People always complain as though it's just a matter of waving a wand. People don't always realize just how complex and time-consuming seemingly simple things can be. If they knew that they had to effectively choose between that bug and something more essential or more critical, they might be a bit more patient. These things aren't done in a vacuum. Every decision potentially has an effect on everything else.

Any chance for release today?

Quote Originally Posted by AaylaKheledlire View Post
    Any chance for release today?
    Hopefully after todays staff brief, check after 2pm EDT.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Yep. I've worked in similar realms, and that is the case. There are only so many development hours, only so many resources, only so many issues that are considered essential to the core product. That is something a lot of people don't understand. As a user I do understand and accept it, but I also get the frustration others feel. Ahh, the poor idealists!
    Most software developers are idealists. We want to fix everything prior to live. It took me some time to get used to concept that I would not be allowed to fix some bugs. Even more time to get used to that some bugs were never going to get fixed.

Finally there is a class of bugs where no one can figure out how to fix them. Any attempt to fix the bug causes a bug to appear somewhere else. It is like playing one of those bop the pop up weasel games. You can slam the weasel back under the playing field. In a few seconds another weasel will pop up. Unlike a county farm midway game. The bug game never ends unless you give up - walk off - accept that there is a weasel up laughing at you.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

The bug game never ends unless you give up - walk off - accept that there is a weasel up laughing at you.
    Some reason I found this very funny. lol

The mind twists and bends to shake the horrors of life
    The mind, keeping it's sanity, bends so far that it snaps in two.

cry

My computer crashed , and I had to get a new one, I have been in BETA, did HD , but I do not have it downloaded on my new computer . Is there any way I can get it ?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001eb507/signature.png]Celestirrh[/charsig]
    Namaste .

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanswoman View Post
    My computer crashed , and I had to get a new one, I have been in BETA, did HD , but I do not have it downloaded on my new computer . Is there any way I can get it ?
    If the hard drive on your old computer still works then you can do the following:

1. Put the old hard drive into your new computer.
    2. Copy the folder the Bullroarer client is in to your new hard drive.
    3. Open the Bullroarer client folder on your new hard drive using Windows Explorer.
    4. Run TurbineRegisterGDF.exe
    5. Create a shortcut to TurbineInvoker.exe and put it wherever you like to keep your shortcuts to games.
    6. Double click the shortcut and let the fun begin

Most software developers are idealists. We want to fix everything prior to live. It took me some time to get used to concept that I would not be allowed to fix some bugs. Even more time to get used to that some bugs were never going to get fixed.

Finally there is a class of bugs where no one can figure out how to fix them. Any attempt to fix the bug causes a bug to appear somewhere else. It is like playing one of those bop the pop up weasel games. You can slam the weasel back under the playing field. In a few seconds another weasel will pop up. Unlike a county farm midway game. The bug game never ends unless you give up - walk off - accept that there is a weasel up laughing at you.
    Yeah, it is similar in the type of work I do. It took me many years to fully embrace the concept of "this project is over." I am a perfectionist and it goes against my very nature. And in my years of being a manager it's been even harder, because I hire all these young idealists and I have to stomp out their idealism. And yet I STILL sometimes catch them sneaking in extra time on stuff they should be leaving alone. It's just one of those things. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    It is fairly common for "weekend" events to start at some point (possibly very late) on Thursday and run through to some point (possibly very early) on Monday.
    (For instance, I think Steam's Weekend Deals starts at 10am Pacific on Thursday and ends 10am Pacific Monday.)

In the case of Bullroarer, though, I'd wait until there are specific official announcements since any number of things can probably change a schedule. I was trying to prod for just such an official announcement, but I think I failed.
    Ah, thank-you! That clears things up!

Now... to convince my workplaces that the weekend begins on Thursday and ends on Monday... xD
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    While this would be a very simple change to make (Literally like flipping a switch). My limited testing experience suggests that a lot more Premium/F2P players take the time to test there.

Additionally, it means they will have a hard time testing 'content gates' such as the upcoming 'Ettenmoors Pass' and purchases of the new areas.
    In the BETA server, you can be the equivalent of a VIP, through some secret things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast