We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I am a casual player

And to be completely honest, the LOTRO lotteries kept me engaged in the game. They kept me logging in to snag low level lotteries that i might've won, and every time I hit the web page now, I see that there are no active lotteries going on, so I don't log in. What's up with that? Are the lotteries active anymore?
    Last edited by ivo_shandor; Mar 11 2014 at 11:57 PM.

The lottery system was fried early 2013 (February? March? can't remember...) in a storm and haven't worked since that time. As it's already been a year with no word on when we can expect them back, at this point it's more or less a "maybe someday but no time soon" sort of situation.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    The lottery system was fried early 2013 (February? March? can't remember...) in a storm and haven't worked since that time. As it's already been a year
    That long ago? How time flies....

with no word on when we can expect them back, at this point it's more or less a "maybe someday but no time soon" sort of situation.
    It's a question of when ... or whether ... WB will allocate the money for the new hardware.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

The lottery system was fried early 2013 (February? March? can't remember...) in a storm and haven't worked since that time. As it's already been a year with no word on when we can expect them back, at this point it's more or less a "maybe someday but no time soon" sort of situation.
    I thought it was fried during the power outage that caused the delay of the Helm's Deep release. I know they ran a couple of lotteries for Helm's Deep expansion pack codes just before before the release.

Was it fried some other time as well?

The lottery system was fried early 2013 (February? March? can't remember...) in a storm and haven't worked since that time.
    Early?

There were several lotteries throughout the year. Including hourly "lotteries" on Bilbo/Frodo's Birthday in September and several HD pre-order lotteries.
    The power outage, that reportedly keeps them from holding lotteries now, happened in November, which also delayed HD's launch.

Hobbit Presents are kind of the same thing, aren't they?
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    Hobbit Presents are kind of the same thing, aren't they?
    Erm. No. Totally not.

Hobbit Presents allow you to repeatedly recieve a random item by spending mithril coins that can be bought with TP that can be bought with Real Money.

The LOTRO Lottery could be accessed by website only and merely required you to have an eligible forum account tied to eligible game characters, and only allowed you one entry per eligible character per lottery. And as it was a raffle system, chances were (great in cases) that you won nothing. But you Always knew ahead what the prize was, nothing random about that.

Totally different beasts. Totally.

I also miss the lotteries. They are not the reason for me logging or not logging in but I always liked to get some fluff. Even if those were just fireworks. I completed the firework deeds on several characters only by using the lottery winnings. The hobbit presents may be perceived as something similar - you do get a free item there. I do not enjoy them at all though.

Unfortunately, there is no ETA when or even if the lotteries will come back.

The lottery system was fried early 2013 (February? March? can't remember...) in a storm and haven't worked since that time.
    In the middle of November to be exact. That storm was also a reason for a few days delay of the Helm's Deep release.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    That long ago? How time flies....

It's a question of when ... or whether ... WB will allocate the money for the new hardware.
    What is this "hardware" that needs replaced? Surely a bog-standard computer with the lottery software on (restored from the backups, right? You did do backups?) is all that is needed? Maybe they have one of those lottery machines like the one from the end of the Superman film (the old one). That broke too lol.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001eec54/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Really? I could'a sworn it was busted earlier that year. Perhaps it was not working properly since early 2013?

Anyway, it's been a while. And it does depend on if/when they decide to fix it. I believe Sapience said lotteries only barely made it into the new forums anyway. If that's the case, then I doubt it will be high on their list of things to work on.

Really? I could'a sworn it was busted earlier that year. Perhaps it was not working properly since early 2013?

Anyway, it's been a while. And it does depend on if/when they decide to fix it. I believe Sapience said lotteries only barely made it into the new forums anyway. If that's the case, then I doubt it will be high on their list of things to work on.
    Well, Sapience finally wore them down on Hobnanigans, and so now he's working on getting the Lotteries back. The bad thing is, it took 5 years to get Hobnanigans back.

Since Rowan is now within range in the office, I suspect Sapience will step up his Lotteries campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    Erm. No. Totally not.

Hobbit Presents allow you to repeatedly recieve a random item by spending mithril coins that can be bought with TP that can be bought with Real Money.

The LOTRO Lottery could be accessed by website only and merely required you to have an eligible forum account tied to eligible game characters, and only allowed you one entry per eligible character per lottery. And as it was a raffle system, chances were (great in cases) that you won nothing. But you Always knew ahead what the prize was, nothing random about that.

Totally different beasts. Totally.
    I agree that they are totally different, but I can tell you that I've gotten more (in general) through Presents over the past 3 months than I did through lotteries in the previous 3 years.

That said, lotteries allowed Turbine to add other fun items to the mix. I have never seen mention of a steed in the Presents, but they were in the lotteries every so often. I do hope lotteries come back at some point, but I would not necessarily expect them to be as frequent as they once were.

It was definitely working until later in 2013 because I have lotteries I won on characters as late as September 22. Alas, those days are gone.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I thought it was fried during the power outage that caused the delay of the Helm's Deep release. I know they ran a couple of lotteries for Helm's Deep expansion pack codes just before before the release.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Early?

There were several lotteries throughout the year. Including hourly "lotteries" on Bilbo/Frodo's Birthday in September and several HD pre-order lotteries.
    The power outage, that reportedly keeps them from holding lotteries now, happened in November, which also delayed HD's launch.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by DCameron View Post
    What is this "hardware" that needs replaced? Surely a bog-standard computer with the lottery software on (restored from the backups, right? You did do backups?) is all that is needed? Maybe they have one of those lottery machines like the one from the end of the Superman film (the old one). That broke too lol.
    As usual, if things were as simple and easy as players thought there would be no reason not to do everything. However it's really not that simple. Nothing public facing runs on a simple desktop PC. Not to mention all of the other systems it touches. Including the data.lotro.com database systems that were also lost.

At the moment I have no ETA and I will be very honest and say that I would be surprised if they returned any time soon (and you can use any version of soon you want there). Truthfully their return is in some doubt.

What is this "hardware" that needs replaced? Surely a bog-standard computer with the lottery software on (restored from the backups, right? You did do backups?) is all that is needed?
    Bog-standard computer? OH HELL NO.

If the lotteries could have been run on a bog-standard computer, like your PC,
    one of the computers in the Turbine office could've been pressed into service.
    The hardware that ran the lotteries, like the hardware that runs the LotRO servers,
    is not quite like the computers of the 1960s for size -- you know, rooms full of
    hard-copy printers and whirling tape drives. But they're large. They are, more
    to the point, expensive, and some suit at WB is going to have to be persuaded
    that it would be worth it to spend MONEY on something that will not directly bring
    any MONEY back into the coffers.

I've said over and over, WB has been in business for more than a century because
    its corporate eye is firmly on the bottom line.

Still, that suit may one day be persuaded to fund new lottery hardware. Keep your
    fingers crossed.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

The hardware that ran the lotteries, like the hardware that runs the LotRO servers,
    is not quite like the computers of the 1960s for size -- you know, rooms full of
    that it would be worth it to spend MONEY on something that will not directly bring

I've said over and over, WB has been in business for more than a century because

Still, that suit may one day be persuaded to fund new lottery hardware. Keep your
    fingers crossed.
    I was trying to come up with a suggestion for something that could replace the lotteries and, as I thought about it, I realized how complex a system it might have been in the first place. Not only did it have to keep track of all your characters on all the servers, each eligible character could be entered for every lottery, every lottery had to be run per-server, winnings had to be delivered automatically...it was a great thing, but I'm guessing it took more than a little oomph to push all that data around.

Not to mention the problems it had. Listing creep characters, session-play characters, deleted characters, some winnings not showing up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    Well, Sapience finally wore them down on Hobnanigans, and so now he's working on getting the Lotteries back. The bad thing is, it took 5 years to get Hobnanigans back.

Since Rowan is now within range in the office, I suspect Sapience will step up his Lotteries campaign.
    lol! All of us who want lotteries back should totally move to Boston and sell "We want Lotteries!" pins. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Nope.
    Thank-you for the correction. Now... about that campaign... *cough*points to Rowan*cough*

fingers crossed.
    Well I've heard of desktop PCs, server type computers that host websites etc and even supercomputers that some universities and scientific establishments have, but this must be some new type of computer I've never heard of? I wouldn't of thought servers were that expensive to replace, unless your talking top of the range type, then yeah probably, but I wouldn't really know. And what was it that fried this computer in the first place? I take it it was something that a simple power breaker couldn't handle?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001eec54/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Well I've heard of desktop PCs, server type computers that host websites etc and even supercomputers that some universities and scientific establishments have, but this must be some new type of computer I've never heard of? I wouldn't of thought servers were that expensive to replace, unless your talking top of the range type, then yeah probably, but I wouldn't really know. And what was it that fried this computer in the first place? I take it it was something that a simple power breaker couldn't handle?
    I'll try to give you an idea of scale. Take something we all know is incredibly simple. Forums, right?
    These forums have to tie into back end systems in a number of ways. So they're a little more than 'just' forums. Now keep in mind, we aren't talking about a handful of people on a fansite or a guild site, we're talking about an official forum that expects a large number of concurrent users. So we are no longer talking about a "PC". We're actually not even talking about a single server any more. Now you're talking about multiple servers and mirrors, load balancing hardware, and assorted network hardware to tie it all together. Oh and then there are the databases. Then work out the backend connectivity.

You can sometimes see when things get a little wonky in the workings of all this hardware. if you have ever seen a "ninja" post, where a post made in reply to a post somehow show up before the post the person replied to, you're seeing the servers get out of sync. The time stamps get off and as a result, posts get shifted in time.

Now consider, that's 'just forums'. Imagine a system that has to tie into the forums, the full game (which is a huge collection of servers itself) and the lottery system, but also has to have the same level of redundancy and availability. Then it has to be able to send items into the game. That's another system. Then there is the system required to pull out data from the game so we can show you your characters. Now ALL of that has to sync up with the game servers. Which, by the way a 'game server' is also a collection of servers that players see as one server, but is really a collection of them.

I could keep going, but I think you might be starting to see that things aren't quite as simple or straightforward as you might have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    You can sometimes see when things get a little wonky in the workings of all this hardware. if you have ever seen a "ninja" post, where a post made in reply to a post somehow show up before the post the person replied to, you're seeing the servers get out of sync. The time stamps get off and as a result, posts get shifted in time.
    Whoa, Sapience, let's try to keep things in the correct space-time continuum, eh? xD

*timewarp*

There's a quote for this, I just knew there was!

Tom Paris: "Wait a minute, wait. Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. We were cruising along at warp seven. Then, we picked up a distress call and moved in to investigate. But now, you're saying that the other ship is actually just a reflection of us and that the distress call is actually just the captain's opening hail. But we picked up the distress call before she sent the hail. How could we have been seeing a reflection of something we hadn't even done yet? Am I making any sense here?"
    Kathryn Janeway: "No, but that's okay."
    -Star Trek: Voyager, "Parallax"

The lotteries made you log into the game? Not the game itself. Wow now i have Heard Everything =) Never done them, but i must have missed something lol =P

Quote Originally Posted by yafga View Post
    The lotteries made you log into the game? Not the game itself. Wow now i have Heard Everything =) Never done them, but i must have missed something lol =P
    Could have meant it was a reason to log into the forums. That would make a bit more sense.

If it was the only reason to log into the game, then the Presents would be a reason now. I think all my repairs and house maintenance costs have been paid just from the copper/silver scraps I pick up every so often.