We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Akamai

How can I get the launcher to start without this useless piece of Akamai software?

Quote Originally Posted by Fratonia View Post
    How can I get the launcher to start without this useless piece of Akamai software?
    If the game is fully installed with no damaged files, it should not need Akamai. If you are installing fresh or if there are issues with a file, it will probably not let you start without it, but immediately after it installs or repairs the file you can uninstall akamai again.

The alternative I can think of is to use Steam. I do not have LOTRO installed through Steam, though, so I have not tested that method.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    If the game is fully installed with no damaged files, it should not need Akamai. If you are installing fresh or if there are issues with a file, it will probably not let you start without it, but immediately after it installs or repairs the file you can uninstall akamai again.

The alternative I can think of is to use Steam. I do not have LOTRO installed through Steam, though, so I have not tested that method.
    Unfortunately not... I am using Steam and the Akamai EULA thing came up before I could log in...

Quote Originally Posted by Martinuil View Post
    Unfortunately not... I am using Steam and the Akamai EULA thing came up before I could log in...
    Hmm. That does not seem right at all. I have seen a couple other odd Akamai threads popping up in the past day. I wonder if they are using Steam as well. So far I have had no issues launching with my non-Steam install.

Unfortunately not and, as i don't want to install that P2P piece of junk and have to agree to their EULA, i will leave the middle-earth.

I know that Turbine stated " that Akamai NetSession will NOT use peer-to-peer when delivering LOTRO-related content" but if it's true, why do i still have 2 Akamai processes running in the background even after I closed the launcher, the game and even after a reboot of my PC ???? Uninstalled Akamai client will remove those processes but why do i have to do that in the first place? I know i am suposed to be able to get rid of that piece of junk at the end of the LOTRO download but i don't trust Akamai and, now, i don't trust Turbine either.

It's a real good game but Akamai killed it for me..........VIP account cancelled.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Uninstall it. That simple. Remove Akamai and unless your installation is corrupted or missing files it won't reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Uninstall it. That simple. Remove Akamai and unless your installation is corrupted or missing files it won't reinstall.
    Is it correct that Akamai is used in the Steam install as well?

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Is it correct that Akamai is used in the Steam install as well?
    It's a function of the patcher. Both versions use the same patcher. So yes.

It's a function of the patcher. Both versions use the same patcher. So yes.
    Gotcha. I thought install and repair of files on Steam were handled through Steam. Thank you for the clarification.

The game had no issues what so ever for my bf until yesterday when he wanted to log in and got the same issue with akamai wanting to start download files, problem is, his client keeps crashing before it even starts to download the akamai files.
    Is there a manual download link for whatever patch its trying to make via akamai?
    'In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.'

Why do I have to install it in the first place when my Lotro installation is not broken? This doesn't make any sense.

At the moment the Akamai software is a forced install and this sucks. I found a way to suppress it and get into the game but this is just another workaround to fix something that wasn't broken before. Why oh why do you always have to break things that were working fine?

Proxy support for the ingame shop is still not fixed btw...

Why do I have to install it in the first place when my Lotro installation is not broken?
    It should only be a force install if something's wrong with your client, or if you do a complete reinstall of the client.

I didn't have to install it with it's inclusion in the client nor was I prompted to. They solved that problem because of DDO before including it here.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I uninstalled Akamai as suggested and it did not come up again. So, I think the problem - if there was any - is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Just reverify it since you have the code. It does that to me now and then too.
    Tried that. Re-entered the code and it told me the code was valid. A day later, I am getting the same prompt again. Clicking on the link on the prompt takes me to a page trying to sell me windows again. It just seems strange that I'm getting the prompt right after installing the Akamai package.

That doesn't work. As soon as you start the launcher, it forces you to re-install Akamai again before it even checks the game for missing or corrupt files. I tried that one already.
    Last edited by Tryst49; May 17 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst49 View Post
    Tried that. Re-entered the code and it told me the code was valid. A day later, I am getting the same prompt again. Clicking on the link on the prompt takes me to a page trying to sell me windows again. It just seems strange that I'm getting the prompt right after installing the Akamai package.
    Even with all the issues people ascribe to akamai (I have not had any problems myself, but I don't doubt some installs of it can have some effects), I can't see how this would be one of them. I'd be more likely to search recent Windows updates for the cause.

Either way, have you checked articles like this for troubleshooting?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385

Just a reminder of subtle and not so subtle file corruption and its aftermath. I recently had hardware trouble related to heat and power. It caused some drive damage. I would not have noticed if the damage had not taken out files related to a hardware monitoring program that I have running at all times. Taking the drive offline and repairing it did not fix that program's damage, so I had to uninstall it then reinstall that particular program. I did more system maintenance after that and ran my drive checkers to see if there was other damage that the first scan missed. There was such damage and some of it was OS files, that were not critical. An OS update and disk check show a working system but a drive with permanently damaged sectors.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Sad, but it'll be farewell to Lotro. :*(

I know Rainothon was just kidding about the pr0n part, but that has nothing to do with this. Other private information on computers is the main issue. Folks have personal banking info and such that are much more important to protect than whether or not they visit a pr0n site.

I really enjoy this game, but I will cancel my subscription and stop playing it if I have to download (and agree to any terms of) any other software than the game software. I have quit another game that I also loved due to this kind of thing , but protecting my computer integrity is much more important than any game. It's risky enough playing online games these days. We do not need another step to have to go through (which puts us at even more risk) to be able to enjoy the games we love. Why in the world is this even necessary??

Remove the need for it! That simple. Or, continue to lose paying customers.

Edit: Directed at nobody in particular (the "you" below is the general "you"). . . and in response to all the various Akamai threads and not specifically/necessarily every little aspect of this one. . . but this was just the last one that finally provoked a small rant from me. . .

Akamai is a decent, respected company whose edge servers are used by Apple, Microsoft, and many other reputable companies. Their Netsession client is another division of their business. Here's the FAQ on the Netsession software. Please note where it explicitly addresses concerns about the sharing of your data or information. If some just refuse to believe that, well. . . that's their right. But, you're going to find your computer's abilities increasingly limited if you're unwilling to allow the usage of widely-known software from vetted companies.

LotRO uses the Akamai Netsession client to facilitate the full download of the game and (as needed) repairs of the game. Like Pando (which Turbine used prior), it can be configured to operate in a peer-to-peer state so that it can also act as a server for others to download the game client. However, Turbine has explicitly configured its install of the Netsession client to not do this (which is a good thing).

If the game client detects that it is corrupted, it will ask you to install Akamai Netsession to download the files needed to repair it. Once this is done, you can uninstall it. And it will be gone. If you truly believe that the software is so malicious that it is going to leave hidden rootkit-type behavior behind after it is uninstalled. . . well. . . I don't think anybody is going to dissuade you of that. So, I'm not even going to try.

But for those who have a reasonable understanding of what this software is, how it works, and what we should expect, this is not something to get upset about. I personally haven't had cause to use it yet. But when I do, I'll accept the install, allow it to do its thing, then uninstall it. . . and then move on with my life. And yes, I use this system for work and am otherwise very careful about what gets installed on this system. Being "careful". . . however. . . can easily cross over into being unreasonably paranoid when you're not fully informed and when you uncritically accept the semi-informed and poorly-researched conclusions of alarmists across the internet as unassailable truth.

In a nutshell: Turbine had to contract with someone to host the 10-20GB game download. They actually "moved up" by switching from Pando to Akamai. And yet still some people throw around the term "malware" and "spyware" recklessly and carelessly where there is no reasonable, well-reasoned cause to do so.

The End.

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; Sep 22 2014 at 01:58 PM.
    "Ephemeral" does not mean what I think it means.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2