We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bound to Equip battle gear.

I noticed that the stuff you get from big battles are bound to character, I think how easy these battles are they should be bound to equip to be share with others or make them bound to account. What do ya think?
    Thanks for reading. Sorry for my English, not my first language.
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

Big Battle rewards are continuation of the way barter rewards and all other instance rewards work. At one time there was more Bind on Equip, Turbine pretty much stopped giving Bind on Equip. Eventually Bind to Account arrived but it is not used much either. It seems like Bind on Account is primarily used for Lotro Store items and some Festival rewards.

I suspect the reason behind Bind to Character is two fold:

1) Turbine does not want people selling the stuff. Turbine pretty much ended the Gold Selling by third party companies by making it so that there is very little you can buy with gold.

2) Turbine prefers that we earn the rewards with the character that is using the reward. No twinking characters. Hence all the class, level, bind to character features that were added to games after EverQuest.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

This would be a nice improvement. I stopped doing big battles after my 20th platinum box netted me yet another copy of the same teal necklace. If I could sell the duplicate loot, and buy the stuff that I apparently will never get, it might make me play big battles more.

I think Turbine has eased off of their worries that Yula mentioned a lot. All the other level 95 loot added from instances is bind on equip. The components used in jewelry from RoR was also not bind on acquire. I can see only one reason to make the loot from big battles bound on acquire. In my opinion, Turbine needed to say that people are playing big battles, to whomever they need to placate, so this was an attempt to give people more reason to play them (because they have to do them over and over if they want that loot). I think that backfired because some people have no luck with the RNG (so they stop playing BB, like me) and others get everything they needed immediately (so they also stop playing BB). If I am on the right train of thought, it would be a simple matter for them to fix that mistake by making the loot bind on equip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    I can see only one reason to make the loot from big battles bound on acquire. In my opinion, Turbine needed to say that people are playing big battles, to whomever they need to placate, so this was an attempt to give people more reason to play them (because they have to do them over and over if they want that loot).
    Reading this comment gives me another idea. Big Battles is premium content that everybody has to buy. By making the rewards Bind on Acquire Turbine makes it impossible for people that do not own Helms Deep to get Big Battle gear. Everybody gets access to some classic and Skirmish instances. Everybody can get this kind (Classic and Skirmish) instance gear.

Perhaps it is a business - money decision why none of the rewards are Bind on Equip. As to why none of Big Battle stuff is Bind to Account instead of Bind on Acquire no idea. Looking in from the outside I can't figure out their rules. A lot times it appears that Lotro does not have a development practice manual that the developers are expected to adhere to when creating features and content. The first software development job that I got after getting out of school. I was handed two huge ring binders full of 'This is how our software development department expects you to write software". Every company and government organization that I have worked for has one of these documents. Its porpose it to make sure that the product which being made by hundreds of developers all over the world has a consistent feel.

For example, It annoys customers and everyone else when you hit escape to close some UI elements. Sometimes it closes the element in focus, sometimes it closes all the elements, once in a while it closes the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

2) Turbine prefers that we earn the rewards with the character that is using the reward. No twinking characters. Hence all the class, level, bind to character features that were added to games after EverQuest.

I kinda have to agree with this. IMHO, twinking characters was one big problem with World of Warcraft when I played. Even low level characters were expected to have really nice gear in normal group quests. It was just really boring overkill facerolls. I don't know if the average player had an issue with it but it made me solo 100% in WoW, I got tired of the "uber" mentality.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I kinda have to agree with this. IMHO, twinking characters was one big problem with World of Warcraft when I played. Even low level characters were expected to have really nice gear in normal group quests. It was just really boring overkill facerolls. I don't know if the average player had an issue with it but it made me solo 100% in WoW, I got tired of the "uber" mentality.
    In EverQuest a lot players would twink out their new characters. One shot their way to 20-30. I was very annoying to try and do a quest solo or in a small group with level appropriate gear when one of these people were around.

Another common issue was that loot did not drop from gray opponents. Players will high level character would have need for materials that were found on some low level mobs. They would create a twink to gather these materials. The twink out leveled the mobs. Create a new character. Transfer the gear. Delete the first twink.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Reading this comment gives me another idea. Big Battles is premium content that everybody has to buy. By making the rewards Bind on Acquire Turbine makes it impossible for people that do not own Helms Deep to get Big Battle gear. Everybody gets access to some classic and Skirmish instances. Everybody can get this kind (Classic and Skirmish) instance gear.
    That's a great point, you may have hit the nail on the head.