We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This thread was weird and getting weirder...

A person from Turbine answered and his name is sapience. The only actual question in the post has been answered hasn't it?
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/UncrownedPrince91"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=2][COLOR="#00FFFF"]I Have a YouTube Channel and... it kinda sucks but visit anyway to make me feel nice :3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenfate View Post
    This thread was weird and getting weirder...

A person from Turbine answered and his name is sapience. The only actual question in the post has been answered hasn't it?
    As discussed above there was no answer given at any point as to specifically why Turbine is not developing quality end game group content; only the same old 'we are looking at it' or 'it is being thrown around'. Given the previously mentioned 12-18 months development time can anyone really believe that people are going to hang around firing catapults for the next 2-3 years?

I think people have a right to feel angry considering that when they raise legitimate concerns on a game that they have spent hundreds of dollars(and many more hours) on that they are met with snarkiness/ambiguity/silence or are called an insignificant minority by the (interestingly) minority of players that take it upon themselves to act as apoligists for a multi million dollar company that should be able to provide answers themselves.

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrien View Post
    You aren't alone Beanie.

Deviled Egg doesn't have it out for Minstrels. She was just as silent and neglectful of the LM threads on Beta.

I myself (and many others) have posted pages and pages and PAGES of reasons why there are imbalances between red/blue/yellow LM lines and how some aspects of certain lines offer too much, too little, etc.

Biggest issue with classes was that multiple devs worked independently on their various classes. Nobody to "oversee" the balance between the traitlines/"roles"/classes.

A "balance" (just speaking to classes, mind you) dev would take some CC away from Blue Burgs and Red/Blue LMs and give more CC to Yellow Burgs and LMs.

A "balance" dev would give Yellow Minis Rally, and maybe give Yellow LMs an in-combat rez or at least a bit more healing.

A "balance" dev would have stopped Yellow Champ from doing more ST DPS than Red champ.

Or at least they would have been more likely to notice our screams of "This isn't good! This isn't working! This isn't 'specialization'!" than Silent Egg in our case, and the other various class devs in others.
    I fully acknowledge with your comments, devs must have been working independently... It can't be more obvious that classes devs didn't interact with landscape devs, and classes devs didn't interact with their colleagues.
    Was there someone working at the head to see the big picture and make all of theses things packaged as a good expac? Not sure and only Turbine has the answer.
    Do players warned and told the devs what was currently out of balance or not WAI? Yes plenty, it's impossible Turbine didn't know how unpolished was their expac at release.
    So before looking for new content/zones/features, the most urgent thing is to balance the content and fix what is broken! I'm sure lots of players provide feedback and suggestions. Please not listen only the Players Council, there is a lot of work to be done in order to polish LOTRO to be at least as enjoyable as in the past. Please meditate Senequa's quote "Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum"

Quote Originally Posted by Shumzuda View Post
    As discussed above there was no answer given at any point as to specifically why Turbine is not developing quality end game group content; only the same old 'we are looking at it' or 'it is being thrown around'. Given the previously mentioned 12-18 months development time can anyone really believe that people are going to hang around firing catapults for the next 2-3 years?
    The problem is, Turbine developers have no talent in the area you're asking them to create. I'm not saying that they aren't talented in other areas, but Turbine developers have always had trouble with end-game. I saw plenty of that when I was playing D&D Online, and I'm seeing plenty of it now in LoTRO. You may not like it but you can't expect a dagger to replace a gun. It's not an excuse for them not trying to improve themselves in that area of course, but it's how things currently are.

I think people have a right to feel angry considering that when they raise legitimate concerns on a game that they have spent hundreds of dollars(and many more hours) on that they are met with snarkiness/ambiguity/silence or are called an insignificant minority by the (interestingly) minority of players that take it upon themselves to act as apoligists for a multi million dollar company that should be able to provide answers themselves.
    Something I think everyone here needs to realize, Turbine is a for profit company. The only way to pressure them is with your wallet. If you approve of what they're doing then you buy a few things off the LoTRO store. If you don't approve of what they're doing then you make a post on the forums and you don't buy anything else until they start listening. When they start losing money they'll scour all available resources to try and figure out what they're doing wrong (and come across the forums eventually). I'm not saying that you in particular are guilty of this, but there are a lot of people on these forums who are complaining here and then buying things from the store. When in doubt they'll listen to the profits more than any of us.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/UncrownedPrince91"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=2][COLOR="#00FFFF"]I Have a YouTube Channel and... it kinda sucks but visit anyway to make me feel nice :3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenfate View Post
    The problem is, Turbine developers have no talent in the area you're asking them to create. I'm not saying that they aren't talented in other areas, but Turbine developers have always had trouble with end-game. I saw plenty of that when I was playing D&D Online, and I'm seeing plenty of it now in LoTRO. You may not like it but you can't expect a dagger to replace a gun. It's not an excuse for them not trying to improve themselves in that area of course, but it's how things currently are.
    Actually certain teams of devs have been able to make viable, enjoyable, long lasting endgame content. I don't know if any of them are still employed or not by Turbine anymore. Otherwise Moria and SOA EG content would have been invalidated as soon as Mirkwood/Enedwaith dropped. What Turbine DOES have a problem with is invalidating large swaths of content with every expansion Since ROI via some form of bloat/imbalance

EDIT to elaborate BB's would probably be a less toxic/controversial topic if the revamp bloat hadn't invalidated...well pretty much everything else allowing those who disliked them other avenues of entertainment. Just as Radience was unpopular for it's glass ceiling component, the current trend of glass floors is just as damaging.

DBL EDIT or to put it another way some/few/many people disliked Moria and it's content, either for ambience, quest flow, content type what ever. But since SOA content was still relevant , somewhat easier but nowhere near face roll; people who disliked Moria had viable options other than alt or nothing. Same held true for Mirkwood/Enedwaith. ROI with the massive stat cap removal pretty much put paid to that. That trend of expansion + unbalanced bloat has held true until today. In ROR it was really poor itemization witch fueled massive grind fests, and trivialized other content via both stat and gear bloat. In HD the class revamps fill the same role. No expansion operates in a vacuum; if Turbine can realize that and self correct no worries. But in the coming ND LL revamps if they don't get a handle on the trend of glass floors, the work they are putting into those area revamps will be of limited duration/viability come the next shiny x-pac becoming nothing more than wasted effort just like the Moria revamp. 21st is just as much a deadzone post revamp as it was pre.
    Last edited by Bendin; Mar 11 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matalan View Post
    Lots of people that enjoy certain 'looked over' aspects of LOTRO will ask 'WHY aren't we catered for...?'

Trouble is, in my opinion, this is almost an impossible question for Turbine to answer adequately enough, if at all, for that demographic to accept. Trust me - I'm one of those that would like to know why there are no instance clusters or raids at least even mentioned as being 'in development', as opposed to loosely quoted from Rowan 'When we can fit them in'. Or why an MMO that has previously dished out expansions and regions that had something for everyone, seems to be leaning more towards simply story telling, solo play and, IMO, more 'simplistic' group content (IE Epic Battles, that dont compare to T2C instances, in terms of difficulty, quality of gear needed to equip to succeed, progression etc etc)

Why are these questions difficult for Turbine to answer?

Well, from where I sit as a LOTRO player and from how things get handled by Turbine I would GUESS - and that's important to highlight - GUESS - that a lot of the time, Turbine's hands are tied by WB, or even internally. MMO's is a competition rich environment, a company that lays its future plans out too openly, even as a gesture to their player-base, will equally be letting competitors know what's going on too. So do they answer the questions, or stay silent? And which of the two is worse?

My suggestion would be if you feel you aren't being catered for, and what Turbine tells you is coming, then maybe take a break, or just try to take things LESS seriously. I've done exactly that lately. And I feel better for it!

If Turbine could release a massive expac with tons of classic instances, raids, 10 new Epic Battles, 3 new classes, a new PvMP map, instanced PvMP 'matches' a la capture the flag etc etc, they probably would.... and I have a feeling that we would like it mostly if they did!

Trouble is as the customer, we won't get told what's on the far horizon - see above, if they do, they've blown cover for competitors to exploit, and if they stay hush, we all assume the worse. It's not a great place to be admittedly, but that's the games industry!

Take what we have, the roadmap for this year, and see where it heads.... without sounding too much like a hippy, the future will provide all the answers to your questions.
    Pretty much agree with the lot of that. Though in my no more valid than yours opinion, I suspect it's less to do with WB telling them what to do, and more about WB pulling resources from the game to where the crew that remains has to narrow their priorities.

I DO NOT get why is it that people on this thread feel their question hasn't been answered. It was stated clearly that the top priorities are continuing the story and growing the world. There will be no raids planned for the year, etc. Of course, they aren't going to answer the question in the way it's framed because it is essentially framed like,

"Why is it you guys are doing things I don't care about instead of good things that I want?"

I don't know what answers people expect for these loaded questions.

"We aren't doing group focused content because we hate you."?
    "We aren't doing endgame content because we don't want your money."?
    "Oh please forgive our sins against you! We'll reverse course and have a 24 man raid in the next patch!"?

Now, I don't disagree with their sentiments. I was one of the ones left out in the cold since december because there's remarkably little to do for a player like me. And I'm not alone, as I've noticed my food orders are down by about 300%. Online guildies are at an all time low, and I've been with them since Moria. I can understand if they find that what's been said about end game and multiplayer content is unacceptable...

...but the OP's question has been answered. The ball is in their court to decide if they want to stick around.

It's my hope that there will be more coming than just the continuation of the story and old zone revamps. It's my hope that they'll tweak BB's to make me interested in doing them. If what they do is enough for me, I'll keep my sub. If it isn't, I'll probably shut it down and only sub when new content hits. But while the developer diaries seem to be pretty dry at the moment, the team has been very vocal about the direction they're going in.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000000989c8/01008/signature.png]Julesven[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by robsolflotr View Post
    Pretty much agree with the lot of that. Though in my no more valid than yours opinion, I suspect it's less to do with WB telling them what to do, and more about WB pulling resources from the game to where the crew that remains has to narrow their priorities.

I DO NOT get why is it that people on this thread feel their question hasn't been answered. It was stated clearly that the top priorities are continuing the story and growing the world. There will be no raids planned for the year, etc. Of course, they aren't going to answer the question in the way it's framed because it is essentially framed like,

"Why is it you guys are doing things I don't care about instead of good things that I want?"

I don't know what answers people expect for these loaded questions.

"We aren't doing group focused content because we hate you."?
    "We aren't doing endgame content because we don't want your money."?
    "Oh please forgive our sins against you! We'll reverse course and have a 24 man raid in the next patch!"?

Now, I don't disagree with their sentiments. I was one of the ones left out in the cold since december because there's remarkably little to do for a player like me. And I'm not alone, as I've noticed my food orders are down by about 300%. Online guildies are at an all time low, and I've been with them since Moria. I can understand if they find that what's been said about end game and multiplayer content is unacceptable...

...but the OP's question has been answered. The ball is in their court to decide if they want to stick around.

It's my hope that there will be more coming than just the continuation of the story and old zone revamps. It's my hope that they'll tweak BB's to make me interested in doing them. If what they do is enough for me, I'll keep my sub. If it isn't, I'll probably shut it down and only sub when new content hits. But while the developer diaries seem to be pretty dry at the moment, the team has been very vocal about the direction they're going in.
    This was the question: I want to know why you have changed the direction of the game, for going all in for casuals only.

answer: We'll consider new group content where we can fit it in, but the team's priority is definitely moving the story and growing the world. Update 13 is the close of Volume 3 of the Epic, meaning yes... Volume 4 is on the way. (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...24#post7114124)

Why people are dissatisfied with the answer:
    • It implies that there is no group content under development, where before Turbine spoke about a 12-18 month development time. People are unhappy with the idea of waiting that long for new group content.
    • They want to know what the rationale is for why they changed direction not just 'what we are focusing on'
    • From this they infer that Turbine is not longer catering to raiders.

Unless I am missing something or a seperate answer, the question remains unanswered.

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    • It implies that there is no group content under development, where before Turbine spoke about a 12-18 month development time.
    There is no implication. We have flatly stated there is no instance cluster/raid planned for 2014. We've said that many times. The 12-18 months comment did not come from us. That's player speculation on how long it may take to build such content. We gave no time frames beyond the statement that 2014 would hold no such content.

That really does wrap this up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2