We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New player - Impressions and questions

Hi all

Just popping in to let the forums know my first impressions and to ask questions.

My first impressions are mostly really good. The areas are huge, the difficulty is about right for me, a casual player. Levelling isn't too boring, the quests are good and I'm trying to take my time and enjoy the story lines. I quickly realised the extra bag space and mount would be worth the money so I paid for the Starter Pack. I won't spend loads, I usually wait for sales and even then I want a bargain. From what I've read on here, I will be getting VIP for at least a month to unlock various features. I'm not sure if I'll stay VIP simply for the TP and access, it seems reasonable. I don't think I can buy the mithril edition of LOTR in the UK - does this unlock more quests and areas?

I like all kinds of little features like buyback which is good for when I sold my ash wood! Also just discovered camp sites whihc seem good. How do you operate them?

My final question is to ask for recommendations for resources and guides. I've been on here and lotro-wiki.com. Not sure if the wiki is always very slow page loads or it has got a problem as it takes about a minute for each page to load lol.

Any other advice/help for a hunter newb is appreciated =)

Quote Originally Posted by Skillomite View Post
    I don't think I can buy the mithril edition of LOTR in the UK - does this unlock more quests and areas?
    Doesn't seem like the mithril edition is available for sale anymore (through the LOTRO store anyway). I believe this included a couple of free quest packs in the deal.

Also just discovered camp sites whihc seem good. How do you operate them?
    Depends on what you mean by camp site.

There are camp site fires which can be used by hunters kind of like a Milestone skill, so that they can quickly travel to a specific camp at will. Right click them to interact (You may need the Travel to Camp skill first, and may also need to be a minimum level for each camp fire - check its tooltip)

There are similar fires which are not for hunters, but allow characters with the cook profession to make food.

And then there are "Mustering Horns" at camp sites, which allow you to summon other members of your fellowship to your side if they are elsewhere in middle earth. Right click to interact and choose who to summon (They will get a popup request to accept or decline the summon)

My final question is to ask for recommendations for resources and guides. I've been on here and lotro-wiki.com. Not sure if the wiki is always very slow page loads or it has got a problem as it takes about a minute for each page to load lol.
    Here and LOTRO-Wiki should be all you need, though the Wiki might be a little outdated in places. Not sure why it's loading slow for you though.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

Thanks YamydeAragon for the websites and Thanks Brya for the advice about the Mithril edition and the camp site fires. I looked it up after coming to my first one in northern Bree. I think I need a couple more levels before I can use it but I do like fast transport and tele's so I guess choosing a hunter has worked out well!

The wiki is now loading properly so that's good.

Any more advice for a newb is all welcomed =)

Welcome!
    You chose a fun class and the Hunter class gets lots of auto-ports to various locations, as you level up. So handy. Remember you can change your Milestone location when you see them in the towns, makes quest hand-ins a little quicker. Lots of elements are right click, select.
    Enjoy

There are a few general pointers I like to provide to new players that are as valid now as when I first started playing.

1) Take your time and enjoy the journey. LotRO is a story driven game that is best savored. There is little benefit to rush to 'end game', especially since we really don't reach 'end game' until the ring is destroyed.
    2) There are no 'bad' character builds. Your selection of race does is not significant (although it does affect your race specific skills). There are no choices that you make that will 'gimp' your character irreversibly and you can always revise how you have decided to allocate skills. DISCLAIMER: Respeccing is not free though so haphazard respeccing can get costly if overdone.
    3) All classes can solo and all classes contribute to fellowship (group) play. Play the class that appeals to you the most.
    4) A good kinship (guild) can make your experience even more enjoyable so I always recommend finding a good guild. It is not, however, mandatory and you can play to maximum level solo without ever joining a kinship. It is more important to find a kinship where you are comfortable than to rush into the first kinship invite that you may receive (although you certainly can if you choose).
    5) Don't be concerned about asking questions either here in the forums or online. Most LotrO players are more than happy to assist. We were all noobs once and if you don't know the answer, it is not a 'stupid question'.
    6) HAVE FUN!!!
    Last edited by Dunford; Mar 10 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Welcome to LOTRO!

Here's my two tips for new characters. Solutions to a couple of common problems:

1. If the camera starts going all wonky, swinging around to point at one NPC or object while you move, then you've accidentally pressed the 'x' key. Press it again to toggle off that behavior.

2. You can select nearest interactable object with the 'Del' key and then use it with the 'u' key. This is very helpful when trying to pick up a tiny quest object on the ground, open a door that has a crowd of players in front, etc. If you ever end up crafting as a Farmer, you can use Del then U for harvesting - plant five or six seeds right on top of each other, then after the last one plants, repeat del + u until you've harvested them all.

Have fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

A few notes:

The mithril pack appears to be restricted to the US and Canada. I have no idea how that is enforced. Find it here

If you already have the starter pack (I'm assuming the "Sam Gamgee" pack), you have most of the benefits of VIP already (half the storage and riding skill). Sometime after Lone Lands VIP will sound like a better deal, how it breaks down:

Racial starting areas[7-15]: VIP gets you the extra bag.
    Bree[15-25]: VIP gets you more fast travel (although it helps less than you would think. You still wind up trudging over Bree since there aren't often stables where you need to be).
    Lone lands[25-30]: more of the same (oddly enough, I don't think you can fast travel between Ost Laden and the Forsaken Inn, which is about the only two stables in the Lone Lands).
    Evendim[30-35]: You should be able to buy this with TP if you haven't bought much else. You still might want to be VIP to avoid the "Everswim" issues (actually, I used fast travel much more between stables, but comparing riding a horse vs. swimming is an issue).
    Post-Evendim[35-50]: you need to quest in at least 3-4 areas, and the more the better. VIP really helps in this case.
    Moria [50-60]: Maintaining VIP is pretty pointless (you get the extra TP and gold birthday gifts, whopeee!), although it really helps if your character has ever been VIP (lots of bouncing between stables). Note that Moria does not come with VIP and has to be bought some other way (quad pack, mithril edition, boxed moria (VIP included, but hard to find nowadays), pack/expansion via TP).
    Post Moria[60-85]: You need the quad pack (it might be possible to buy just the packs if you bought Moria some other way, but I suspect the quad pack is the cheapest).
    Helm's Deep[85-95]: Purchased separately. Since there won't be an other expansion this year, it won't be part of an expected "five pack" till next year. Don't buy it at full price, it will certainly come down to at least half price before you are level 85.

Note that the best way to buy Moria is likely the quad pack. If you manage to buy the Mithril Edition, it will include the pack (but not the expansion). The expansion (and thus quad pack) includes two character slots and the Rune Keeper and Warden class, if you are interested in such things.

The thread I inevitably include in these threads: Everything I needed to know about paying real money for this game. Update (note: not a endorsement of specific purchases, especially traveler bundle).
    In a hole there lived a wumpus...

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post
    Welcome!
    You chose a fun class and the Hunter class gets lots of auto-ports to various locations, as you level up. So handy. Remember you can change your Milestone location when you see them in the towns, makes quest hand-ins a little quicker. Lots of elements are right click, select.
    Enjoy
    Yeh I'm beginning to find out that travel is actually a challenge in this game. I'm an ex Runescaper and travel was easy for high levels, then they made it easy for everyone else too. I like 'advantages' for travel and like the idea of emergency tele's so it should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunford View Post
    There are a few general pointers I like to provide to new players that are as valid now as when I first started playing.
    This sounds like great advice. I am deliberately going slowly, exploring, enjoying the quest story and the lore. Sometimes you want to level games like these but when you get there you badly regret not enjoying the 'newness' of the experience, getting lost in places and forgetting where you are and stuff!
    Last edited by Skillomite; Mar 11 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Welcome to LOTRO!

Here's my two tips for new characters. Solutions to a couple of common problems:

1. If the camera starts going all wonky, swinging around to point at one NPC or object while you move, then you've accidentally pressed the 'x' key. Press it again to toggle off that behavior.
    I've come across your first one on a guide. That sounds like a problem that would drive you crazy if you didn't know the solution! Thanks =)

I've come across your first one on a guide. That sounds like a problem that would drive you crazy if you didn't know the solution! Thanks =)
    Happened to me even when I had been playing for months.. or over a year

Yeh, I bet it's really hard to google too. "My toon is drunk, what do I do?"

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    A few notes...

The mithril pack appears to be restricted to the US and Canada. I have no idea how that is enforced. Find it here

If you already have the starter pack (I'm assuming the "Sam Gamgee" pack), you have most of the benefits of VIP already (half the storage and riding skill). Sometime after Lone Lands VIP will sound like a better deal, how it breaks down:...
    Wow, there's some great advice there, exactly what I was looking for. The sheer amount of options is bewildering when you first start, I suppose many are legacy. It's very confusing trying to work out whether to buy mithril edition, or buy TP, or grind TP, or get VIP or buy the expansion packs or quest packs and that's beside mithril coins! You post has clarified a lot, thanks a lot.

Yeh, I bet it's really hard to google too. "My toon is drunk, what do I do?"
    A kin member of mine kept complaining she was getting sick and wanting to vomit from playing until I told her about that one

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman76 View Post
    A kin member of mine kept complaining she was getting sick and wanting to vomit from playing until I told her about that one
    lol.

I've just found LOTR Mithril edition on amazon.co.uk for £6.23 :0 It sounds too good to be true but I checked and it was the Turnbine edition as I understand that Codemasters did a version too. It also says in the ad that you get:
    - Steed of the Horse-lords' Mount
    - Quest packs: Eregion, Trollshaws, Lothlorien (Normally costs: 695 TP, 595 TP, 595 TP)
    - Expansion: Mines of Moria (Normally costs: 1495 TP)
    - 2000 TP

All that is worth around 3400 TP + the extra 2,000 . They don't sell 5400 but I think around £35.00 is an approximate value.

It's a bit of a risk but because it was on amazon.co.uk and the benefits were individually listed, if it doesn't work in the UK at least I can get my money back. I'll keep you posted as to whether it works or not. If it does, I think I found a very good bargain =)
    Last edited by Skillomite; Mar 11 2014 at 05:06 PM.

- Quest packs: Eregion, Trollshaws, Lothlorien (Normally costs: 695 TP, 595 TP, 595 TP)
    - Expansion: Mines of Moria (Normally costs: 1495 TP)
    FYI, the Mithril Edition includes the Path of the Fellowship quest pack bundle. You are getting the Moria Quest Pack, not the Moria Expansion.
    So, you'll get the quests and instances of Moria, but you will not have the Rune-keeper or Warden classes unlocked, nor the 2 additional character slots, nor the skirm-soldier cap increase.

Update on Mithril edition for UK

Just reporting back on Mithril edition.

The packaging has a turbine logo on it (you can see that from the pic on amazon.co.uk). Inside is 2 disks and a card with a keyboard map on one side and a code on the other. I put the code in and it registered on my account no problem. There was no issue with areas or countries or anything, It gave me 2k TP straightaway and the new horse. Slightly disappointed it's another 63% horse as I had one with the Samwise Gamgee pack too but it was just a bonus anyway and looks better cosmetically.

I can't comment on the quests yet as I'm still a newb but I'm sure it will be worth it.

For £6.23 it was a real bargain, as I pointed out earlier, you can't buy the TP alone for that price from the store.

Oh, one more question. Speaking purely from a character advancement viewpoint (no cosmetic improvements) what else would I need using TP?

As I previously mentioned, Mithril Edition doesn't include the 'premium' classes (RK and Warden). So, if they interest you, there's that.

Also, there's...
    • Shared Vault - to help send items between alts
    • Shared Wardrobe - to create cosmetic versions of your gear and allow all your chars to equip them
    • Premium wallet - to store festival and zone currencies, and other miscellaneous
    • Account-wide Journeyman Riding skill - turns all your mounts to 78%

Yeh thanks for the info. The extra classes are for more experienced players by the sound of it, there's plenty to keep me occupied for a while! I might get the mount upgrade using the TP then, that sounds as if it'll be worth it.

Am I right in thinking to unlock the extra inv spaces I need either 1 month VIP or to spend the TP?

Bags 4 and 5? Yes, you'll need to either be VIP or spend TP to unlock them.
    Bag 6? You'll need to spend TP to unlock that, regardless of your subscription status.

I got bag 4 with the Samwise Gamgee pack so I guess I might as well TP the other 2, I don't think I need VIP then.

I'd still recommend getting at least a month of VIP because it unlocks all Race/Virtue slots and Class tier bonuses.

That alone is worth the cost of a month of VIP, when you consider there are 8 Class tier bonuses, 5 Virtue slots and 3 Race slots to unlock at 95tp each (1520tp). Compare the ~$16 that the 1520tp would cost to purchase outright to the $15 a single month of VIP costs, and you're already coming out a dollar ahead.

Then, factor in that the 1520tp Class/Virtue/Race unlocks are per-character purchases. So, if you have any alts, you're practically making money off the month of VIP.

And, that's ignoring that being VIP unlocks swift travel, unlocks bags 4 and 5, removes the gold cap on any character you log on as VIP, as well as rent access to all non-expansion zones, crafting guilds, skirmishes, 500tp stipend, etc.

Is a month of VIP worth its price? Hellsya.

I've yet to get to grips with all the virtues and class bonuses and stuff but yes, it does sound worth it once I do get a bit further ahead. I appreciate your help, there's a lot of info to take on board to start with.

Oh, one more question. Speaking purely from a character advancement viewpoint (no cosmetic improvements) what else would I need using TP?
    Content. There are a lot of zones to go between wherever you are and level cap... and more zones are released every year. I'm not sure what content you have already, but you'll always need more.

It is definitely possible to have more TPs than you know what to do with... but frankly you've got to be a Lifetime subscriber to get to that point. You will find good useful non-cosmetic stuff to buy.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Wow, there's some great advice there, exactly what I was looking for. The sheer amount of options is bewildering when you first start, I suppose many are legacy. It's very confusing trying to work out whether to buy mithril edition, or buy TP, or grind TP, or get VIP or buy the expansion packs or quest packs and that's beside mithril coins! You post has clarified a lot, thanks a lot.
    I'm pretty sure the main selling point for VIP is to avoid all those issues. I managed to find a much cheaper path, but then miscalculated about how long it would take to level up guild crafting (hint, don't try it before Moria. Maybe not till well after then) and wasted a few months due to shear stubbornness (I think a few bucks of TP could have fixed that issue).

Grinding TP is likely more expensive in electricity than the TP you get from it. Don't do it unless you want the traits/virtues/experience. You should get plenty of TP from just playing LOTRO.
    I started a few characters on too many servers (have to find my favorite) and too many classes (again). This left me with more TP than I know what to do with (DDO pretty much taught me to only buy packs with TP, with a few exceptions for races, classes, and the shared bank), even before the 2k mithril edition.
    If you do want to buy TP: the Amazon price for the Mithril Edition sounds ideal (I'm assuming it is the right one, ask a Euro type for confirmation). Not only do you get a fairly good price for TP, the four packs are nearly worth price without the TP (until you buy Moria again...).

The only benefit in buying expansions now is for the character slots and RK and Warden classes (Moria expansion only). You can't enter Moria (the first expansion) until level 45, and you can't use the stables there until level 50 (playing in Moria without the stables is too painful to contemplate). I think I did get a couple of horses though the quad pack*.

* Note for others. While our original poster bought the Sam pack and has "riding skill", if you haven't explicitly bought it or have a character over level 20 while VIP, you won't see any of those horses (that come in the expansions or mithril edition) until you cough up for riding skill. This frustrated me greatly after buying the mithril edition.
    In a hole there lived a wumpus...