We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Gameplay getting more linear?

With a new update coming and having just leveled yet another character from 65 into the 90s I thought I'd post for others thoughts on this. Does the game feel like questing lines are getting more linear?
    Way back going into Esteldin or Angmar it could be a bit daunting to see 20 quests available. But players that took the time to read the quest bestowals could organize the quests into similar regions and make trips for a set of quests while still having others to complete. Now the game feels like it is automatically doing that for us by only giving us a few quests to pick up at a time.. and not always arranging them how we'd like.

Edoras is a perfect example of that. On the first trip there no quests pop up except in the mead hall.. well ok it's story driven no problem but then once I start helping the Edoras people get ready there are still stages of when quests become available? It's too much.. Give me all the quests, let me decide which ones to do and which to leave.

Examples are everywhere, but it does seem to be getting worse, in Snowbourne there were 2 lines if i remember right, go to fastred and get this group of quests then go again and get next group.. just let us get them all at once.

I did see someone complaining about his in ooc too, since all the quests in a town are linear.. if there is a quest we don't want to do because it is obviously helping enemy for example or is something like picking up goat droppings with our shiny lvl 60 first age then we can't progress in the quests in that town.. (side note most recently i've ben leveling lm so no need to upgrade gear but balance is another issue and it's fun fighting in lvl 60 gear at lvl 90)

So can we add an option.. open up town quest chains or skip undesirable quest .. something like Hero laughs in the spys face and refuses to collect weapons for enemy or mocks farmer and tells him to handle his own goat #@!$

Or just change how quest lines are written.. this is an open world game, it shouldn't feel like we need to do every quest to progress the story!
    mudge lvl 65 hunter; 65 minstrel; 65 champion;65 burglar; 65 loremaster; 65 warden; 65 captain
    58 runekeeper.. retired
    vilya

I agree.

/words

In a word, yes.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

This has been brought up in other threads, and yes the quest chains are getting more linear. It's most pronounced in HD, where there is a set quest line that you must follow to advance to the next town, but has been the trend since at least ROI.

Basically, landscape content today consists of "Go to Town X, talk to this NPC to open up the quest chain...when finished advance to Town Y" - rinse and repeat until you hit the level cap. The days of picking and choosing which quests you want to complete are probably over for future and revamped content. I wouldn't be surprised if the updates to North Downs and Trollshaws resulted in the removal of fellowship quests, and made everything a linear solo-friendly quest chain, where you have no option of picking and choosing which quests you want to complete.

I don't find HD to be as linear as RoR was. HD added level based vector quest from Rohirrim outside of each major town that send you off to find and talk to Gandalf when you hit an odd level like 87 (? this early, not sure), 89, 91, and 93. This is separate from the Epic quest line, which is purely linear. I've jumped around on all my characters such that at some points they had partially completed the content in each of several regions at the same time. Eventually they each had to go back and advance the Epic to finish up Edoras and complete the various regions in order to get the (nearly) final quest with the trait point reward.

I did spend time with each character grinding out slayer deeds in order to earn XP, new recipes, task items for rep, and new LIs (I only use 3rd Age LIs for the most part, so an 86-87 LI beats an 85 hands down). This had me levelling earlier than quest completion would have done. I was also rotating between five characters when doing this.

If you take a single 85 into HD and only do the quests, then it is pretty linear because you will be following the fixed track.

I did like the old method where you could travel to a quest hub and just take a bunch of quests, then figure out how/when/if you wanted to do them. I also see how that confused some people

I do think it would be reasonable to provide both for players. Create a linear Epic (which is inherently linear) plus an optionally linear series of non-Epic landscape quests. The latter can be followed from A to B to C if you prefer, or you can jump ahead and start (part of) the next set without completing the previous long arc. Then go back to finish or jump ahead more.

During my downtown (everything that I wanted to do when I hit 95 was done) I leveled an alt thru moria. This is the first time I went after the revamp and they totally changed much of the questing. I felt that I was on rails. Granted you can skip quests and choose what zones you want to do but now it is like they are holding your hand and telling you which way to go. I guess some like that but for me moria lost its edge. It used to be dark and foreboding but now its like going through a theme park. They have goats everywhere so getting lost (I was the master of it) is not really possible. To me that is linear.

HD was overall good quests and story line (minus the boring trivial) but they did force you to basically do every quest. It was ok for the first toon but after a few alts... You can skip I suppose but if you want the class points you have to basically do them all and if you want the rep (unless you use rep tomes) you have to do them all. That is also how I view linear. When the choices are taken from you. I think when they add the new content then leveling up to 95 will give a few more choices.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

No where is this brought home more than in Helms Derp with quests that have you making numerous trips from one place to another then back then return then back to that same place. All the while the Mithril Coin teleport is winking at you and you can hear the ghost of Fredelas chuckling as you wrestle with your conscience. I have never seen such shamelessly poor implementation in any other game.