We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Slayer Deeds and my Burning Question :D

I guess you can call me a kinda/sorta completionist. I still have tons to do and really don't mind spending time working on deeds at all because I really would love to have a blank canvass on at least one character. However, for the longest time one thing has bugged me. After Eregion and when/if you move into Enedwaith you are required to kill 120 of whatever, then the advanced is 255. Dunland is the usual 120/240 for the most part, but GR and beyond all have this annoying 120/255 thing going on.

Now, I have had this explained to me in great mathematical detail, but it still makes no sense at all and those extra 15 are sometimes the straw that breaks the camels back. LOL

So can someone please tell me why it has to be this way? Can't you do like 150/300 in the higher level areas Turbine?

Next: And why does a low level player have to kill 450 spiders in The Barrow of Tarudan? Honestly, it's quite sad to watch people run around in there trying to outkill another player and then to see a way over level person come in and decimate the place. 150/300 is a lot when half the server is in there jockying for position at any given time, and why do Wights only come out in droves at night in The Trollshaws? Cowards! The Crawler/lizard slayer in Eregion makes no sense either, would be better to have Wood Troll slayer + there is an Instance you can do to advance it.
    Last edited by Octaviane; Feb 26 2014 at 06:38 PM.

There was deed creep, in that as areas got higher and higher in level the slayer deeds required more and more kills. People weren't too thrilled at this prospect, and thus Turbine has largely capped newer slayer deeds to 120/240 for the foreseeable future.

Back in the day, the Barrows was a high level area. Which would explain why the Barrow specific slayer deeds are so large. But, since Bree already has 30/60 spider and wight slayer deeds, in addition those 150/300 Barrow deeds, I don't see the Barrow deeds being lowered anytime soon.

The sad truth is that the majority of stuff like this has been put into place and will likely never be revisited. Not just deeds, but many other inconsistencies across the game. Speaking about deeds in particular, the game doesn't have the resources it had in the past, so revisiting / reviewing / editing stuff like this will most likely never happen, not to mention they're definitely not going to make it easier to get TP at this point. If you need confirmation, just look at the newer area deeds, both regular and advanced deeds only give out 5 / 5 TP as opposed to the 5 / 10 TP in all areas from before RoI.

Deeding use to be more important then it is now. So the frustration was even at a higher level back then. I remember when I hit 50 and one of our kin rules was that your traited virtues had to be at least 9 before you could join the rift raid. Now they mean very little. The difference from level 10 - 18 is minimal. I am a completionist on my main but the rest I get if I get. I do like the meta deeds. Getting the hard to get mount rewards are a good motivation. Still hard to do because (concerning moria) some of the instances are tactically required to have more then 1 person.

- Also when attempting to complete the meta deeds I found that I did not get credit for things I have done. I wonder if they got reset when these deeds were introduced? I killed the Watcher several times but it said I still need to do the deed. The same with CD which was a weekly ritual back in the day I still need to kill Mordirith . The rest of my deeds were done (except a troll count).
    Last edited by anthonyx; Feb 27 2014 at 01:11 PM.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Coxis View Post
    The sad truth is that the majority of stuff like this has been put into place and will likely never be revisited. Not just deeds, but many other inconsistencies across the game. Speaking about deeds in particular, the game doesn't have the resources it had in the past, so revisiting / reviewing / editing stuff like this will most likely never happen, not to mention they're definitely not going to make it easier to get TP at this point. If you need confirmation, just look at the newer area deeds, both regular and advanced deeds only give out 5 / 5 TP as opposed to the 5 / 10 TP in all areas from before RoI.
    Yes, I had noticed this also. You only get 5TP (maybe) if you complete the advanced deed at the higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyx View Post
    Deeding use to be more important then it is now. So the frustration was even at a higher level back then. I remember when I hit 50 and one of our kin rules was that your traited virtues had to be at least 9 before you could join the rift raid. Now they mean very little. The difference from level 10 - 18 is minimal. I am a completionist on my main but the rest I get if I get. I do like the meta deeds. Getting the hard to get mount rewards are a good motivation. Still hard to do because (concerning moria) some of the instances are tactically required to have more then 1 person.

- Also when attempting to complete the meta deeds I found that I did not get credit for things I have done. I wonder if they got reset when these deeds were introduced? I killed the Watcher several times but it said I still need to do the deed. The same with CD which was a weekly ritual back in the day I still need to kill Mordirith . The rest of my deeds were done (except a troll count).
    I remember being examined for a Draigoch run and also being kicked out of a ToO run so I feel your pain. I do know that when Helegrod (just one example) was scaled, players who had defeated Thorog years before and who had earned The Savior of Eriador title plus steed all of a sudden had to go back and do it again for the completion. CD hasn't been scaled, but is part of the SoE Meta deed yes, as is Urugarth and Barad Gularan. The Watcher is another Meta deed and requires that you have completed the Black Pool Instance, The Drowned Treasury Instance, The Watcher and killed several bazillion tentacles.

A bit unfair for long time players and completionists, but I can see that it would be very difficult to weed out the players who had already done all this good stuff years ago from those who are up and coming.

One thing in redoing those deeds that I already completed is visiting a place that I haven;t been to in a long time. CD/URU was a lot of fun. Now going back totally OP I wonder how cool it will be if it was scaled up. (I know the answer is that it won't be which is to bad).

One thing in redoing those deeds that I already completed is visiting a place that I haven;t been to in a long time. CD/URU was a lot of fun. Now going back totally OP I wonder how cool it will be if it was scaled up. (I know the answer is that it won't be which is to bad).
    Just did CD yesterday with a pretty much on level group 5/6 with 2 level 51 RK's, 1 level 51 Champ, a level 53 Champ and a level 65 GRD. Managed Helchgam very well, didn't quite manage Mordirith because our healer went down in face of the Wood Trolls, but not a bad try considering at least 2 hadn't been before and we didn't have a full group. Of course, we had the green water syndrome too. LOL! Only problem with CD is that it's waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too long (at level anyway). I think the place would be quite challenging scaled up. One other thing that would be nice is to limit the drops from mobs, we stopped several times to get rid of junk in our bags.

It really is a lot of fun to go back and re-visit some of the old content, especially the ones that have been scaled to 95. Where once you could just breeze through, not so much anymore. It's also worthwhile imho to try to do content at level if you can find the people willing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    So can someone please tell me why it has to be this way? Can't you do like 150/300 in the higher level areas Turbine?
    In my opinion, Turbine lacks an internal standards document for this sort of thing. Each time the task comes up, a different development team tackles the problem and assigns whatever numbers seem right. In addition, the developers must decide how much time players can invest in deeding. If they need to keep players busy, the numbers go up. Finally, the developers listen to feedback. If the numbers wander too high resulting in too much negativity, the next cluster of deeds may feature lower totals. In this way the game grows organically, not systematically.

Next: And why does a low level player have to kill 450 spiders in The Barrow of Tarudan? Honestly, it's quite sad to watch people run around in there trying to outkill another player and then to see a way over level person come in and decimate the place.
    Many of the barrows were originally level 40 at a time when the level cap was level 50. When they were dropped to level 20, the developers did not revisit the deed counts or loot tables resulting in some anomalies. In addition, when Rise of Isengard was released and Virtues reworded, Zeal became extremely attractive. These factors all came together to produce the traffic jams seen today.

Fortunately, a very simple and efficient solution exists for this problem. If you arrive in an area with someone deeding, ask to group with him or her. If you are deeding and someone arrives, offer him or her the chance to join. Let the most efficient killer drive and everyone reaps the rewards. Only complete jerks try to outkill someone already working an area. Also, be mindful of low level characters questing and help them when applicable.

...and why do Wights only come out in droves at night in The Trollshaws?
    I personally enjoy "flavor" elements like this and wish the game developers would include more such mechanics. Trolls hunt at night because daylight turns them to stone. I cannot recall how Tolkien handled the dead with regards to sunlight, but in traditional myth and legend, the dead primarily walk at night. Unfortunately, certain players always complain about anything requiring planning or effort, the developers inevitably cave, and the world becomes more static and boring.

The Crawler/lizard slayer in Eregion makes no sense either, would be better to have Wood Troll slayer + there is an Instance you can do to advance it.
    In the Trollshaws we learn that crawlers corrupt and destroy nature, thus the elves want them exterminated. The elves once called Eregion home and wish to heal that land. The elves seem much less concerned about wood trolls, probably some form of wild nature spirit, unless something corrupts them. The wood trolls in Enedwaith apparently turned to evil and thus require eradication.

Just did CD yesterday with a pretty much on level group 5/6 with 2 level 51 RK's, 1 level 51 Champ, a level 53 Champ and a level 65 GRD. Managed Helchgam very well, didn't quite manage Mordirith because our healer went down in face of the Wood Trolls, but not a bad try considering at least 2 hadn't been before and we didn't have a full group. Of course, we had the green water syndrome too. LOL! Only problem with CD is that it's waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too long (at level anyway). I think the place would be quite challenging scaled up. One other thing that would be nice is to limit the drops from mobs, we stopped several times to get rid of junk in our bags.

It really is a lot of fun to go back and re-visit some of the old content, especially the ones that have been scaled to 95. Where once you could just breeze through, not so much anymore. It's also worthwhile imho to try to do content at level if you can find the people willing to go.
    I am getting ready to run my level 49 captain through CD/URU and the Rift. Of course not many people want to do these on level so it has become a scheduled event. If it all works out I plan on using the turtle once I hit 50 and getting all the Rift gear. I can't remember now but at the time I thought it was bad ### looking. The sad truth is though once this is achieve and I go to moria it probably wont take too many levels for that to be out dated but at least I will have it cosmetically.

I am getting ready to run my level 49 captain through CD/URU and the Rift. Of course not many people want to do these on level so it has become a scheduled event. If it all works out I plan on using the turtle once I hit 50 and getting all the Rift gear. I can't remember now but at the time I thought it was bad ### looking. The sad truth is though once this is achieve and I go to moria it probably wont take too many levels for that to be out dated but at least I will have it cosmetically.
    Unfortunately even at level 50 Rift armor is basically just a cosmetic. The early levelers in the level 50 endgame kin I'm in farmed most of the Rift (3-man, on-level!), so have most of the armor pieces already. Thaurlach drops a token for a weapon, so they weren't missing anything not being able to take him with so few people... Unfortunately the stats on SoA gear haven't changed and are very bizarre and undesirable with today's game mechanics; better to use crafted gear and scaled instance drops. The one place we might see some use of the Rift armor is in the Thaurlach fight since a 25% chance to bounce shadow damage could be pretty nice.

Doing CD/Uru on level - our group honestly couldn't tell the difference between doing it with our 50s and doing it with 75s/85s/95s. Ridiculously easy. To spice things up our tank (captain) decided to hop in the lava during the Mordirith fight, or as he put it "Let's play 'See who's second on the aggro table!'"