We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: VIP benefits.

How about access to VIP only vendors for some of the previous level cap items?

Hytbold armor, for example:

If you're a VIP account, your character is level 85+, and you've rebuilt the Hytbold Mead Hall, then you can open a door inside the Mead Hall and enter a room full of vendors. These will sell you bind-on-acquire versions of the Hytbold armor for your class for, say, 1 gold per piece. Now that character can drive into Helm's Deep with a nice set of armor that will be useful to level 90 or more without having to spend weeks grinding daily quests and ending up at level 90 before they can buy it. Maybe only have the vendors sell one set of the three, or two different pieces from each of the three sets.

My point with this is to create a VIP benefit that's not exclusive, since all players can earn the same items in-game. A free or premium player can just do the rebuild grind on their first character then have that one do a shorter grind and purchase for subsequent characters. They can also skip Hytbold and move on to getting HD quest reward armor.

Previous level caps - 60, 65, and 75 - could each have a similar vendor who sells some of the items we had to grind for back at that cap.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post

If you're a VIP account, your character is level 85+, and you've rebuilt the Hytbold Mead Hall, then you can open a door inside the Mead Hall and enter a room full of vendors. These will sell you bind-on-acquire versions of the Hytbold armor for your class for, say, 1 gold per piece. Now that character can drive into Helm's Deep with a nice set of armor that will be useful to level 90 or more without having to spend weeks grinding daily quests and ending up at level 90 before they can buy it. Maybe only have the vendors sell one set of the three, or two different pieces from each of the three sets.

My point with this is to create a VIP benefit that's not exclusive, since all players can earn the same items in-game. A free or premium player can just do the rebuild grind on their first character then have that one do a shorter grind and purchase for subsequent characters. They can also skip Hytbold and move on to getting HD quest reward armor.

Previous level caps - 60, 65, and 75 - could each have a similar vendor who sells some of the items we had to grind for back at that cap.
    I like this idea, but every time I've suggested something similar non-vips always yell at me for "excluding them" from something that they "have a right to."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    I like this idea, but every time I've suggested something similar non-vips always yell at me for "excluding them" from something that they "have a right to."
    As someone who has played off and on, mostly as premium, I don't understand why they would ever think that way. F2P games are always time vs money essentially. There's no reason why a subscriber shouldn't be given time advantages over a free player. It's one of those cases of people shouldn't be affected by what others have. It's a silly argument.

I apologize on behalf of rational premium/free players that anyone complains about that.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Lobengulu View Post
    I agree with you mostly Yula but trait lines cost 100 mithril coins from 3rd trait line onwards at the exchange rate for mithril coins from TP I will need 1000 mithril for my 10 characters to just have the normal 3 trait lines each. costing around 800+tp per 100 it will take me a couple of years to kit them out.
    Your issue is the extremely high price of the 3rd trait line.

My personal opinion as always.

Had Turbine put the third trait line in the Lotro Store it would have been 995 Turbine Points. The reason for the 100 Mithril Coin price is that Turbine - Lotro is not meeting the revenue targets set by Warner Brothers. The most obvious black box - looking on from the outside evidence for this position is the recent reduction in the staff budget by letting some people go. Turbine's revenue targets are going to be in dollars because Mithril Coins and Turbine Points have no value to Turbine or Warner Brothers.

Turbine has to provide enough new products priced high enough in Turbine Points and Mithril Coins to drain our (lifers like me) stipends so that we will have to buy more Turbine Points with dollars. The other alternative is to add VIP only perks that are valuable enough that current Free and Premium players will give Turbine dollars to buy Game Time (subscribe).

There is a problem with VIP perks because Turbine has to give them away to some customers - lifers like me. The only way to get money out of me is to get me to burn thru all my Turbine Points and or Mithril Coins which I do not use. I have to want it bad enough to get my Visa card out and buy some Turbine Points. Or it has to be an item that is sold in the Web Store at a attractive price - like half off for Riders of Rohan and the Helms Deep expansion.

Since the objective is to get more dollars so that Turbine does not go thru a third lay off in 1-2 years, I do not see Turbine giving us free Mithril Coins. If the sales volume is too low for the third class trait line, Turbine may lower the price. As car manufacturers found out a few years ago you got to be careful about permanent price reductions and sales. A portion of your customer base is willing to wait for the price reductions and sale like I often to.

You see this behavior at Christmas time. who is going to blink first. A company like Target. Or a competitor of Target. Or the customer who needs the phat loot in time to give to someone for Christmas. I spent a considerable amount of time in 2013 trying to minimize the number of dollars I spent for Christmas. Some of the stuff is fairly simple - I bought my Christmas cards for 2014 after Christmas in 2013 for 50-70% off.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Since LOTRO has come out we have seen changes that show turbine has been trying different methods of increasing its profit. No matter if its a fast food joint on the corner, grocery store down the street, car dealership, computer game or computer software company. The name of the game is to achieve the biggest profits possible. But its of my opinion in many of these same aspects quality of the product is often sacrificed to that same bigger profit goal. I have personally seen this method in different markets. when i was fresh out of high school a fast food restaurant changed burger patty suppliers and also went with a cheaper lower quality pre sliced pickle company. When this place of business first started customers enjoyed the product but after the changes to cut costs in the name of profit the customers, me as both a customer and a employee did not care for the changes. thus this quick expanding restaurant soon went out of business due to lack of customers. Automotive, again an injection molding company i worked for put in a bid for a contract to 1 of the big 3 auto makers.. The product was expected to be of specific quality at a certain price. But unbeknownst to the auto maker the company i worked for already had a plan set in motion for not only that contract but many of the other contracts. The parts we were contracted to build at the facility in the USA, were not all produced there. 75% of the parts that were shipped was outsourced to a sister company in canada. then repackaged at our facility with the auto makers non the wiser at the time. Me and my fellow co workers constantly worried about layoffs while the company claimed it needed cut costs. Which confused us considering the amount of orders and scheduled parts needing to be shipped. 1 part i ran was a buick front grill component. it cost the company i worked for about $3.78 in plastic and electricity to make each part. Buick was paying the company $80.00 for those same parts finished. which had just 4 mounting clips added to each part. I was earning $7.25 an hour at the time. the machine produced 37 parts per hour and we were running the machines around the clock. yes, sometimes the Office folks did not properly dispose of their old documents and we had a lot of nosy dumpster diving janitors looking for recyclables that came across the documents. who then showed the workers running the machines.

I can imagine the computer software industry is no different. Like LOTRO, some say the game is going great while other say its degrading. Each person on the forums has and is entitled to their own opinion. But its of my opinion that warner bros and turbine need to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. There is a lot of lotro fans that enjoy the story, not to mention gamers who always look for a game to put their money into. with the release of past expansions its obvious that they are trying different ways to increase the customers playing the game and thus increasing their profit. While i do feel that some of the costs in the turbine store are a tad high, constantly just adding new items or old items (horses with new skins) will keep the customers happy and wanting to keep playing or to come back. I also do not feel changing the perks for Lifers, vips, premium or f2p players will make a difference, well it might a little bit but not to the level of profit the investors and yes men ((bean counters) accountants) are looking for..

If Warner Bros and Turbine want to see their profit margin increased they need to alter the game. No I dont mean deviate from the story line. I mean take a step back and look at all the changes that were attempted with lotro since its release. Have the Bean counters figure out how many customers / profit the investors lost due to a change. Should be able to get rough estimate of which changes were worst by comparing the monthly financial statements with the months the changes came out. Example: i can imagine a lot of customers closed their accounts or stoped paying when the class changes came out. Its not a bad thing to want to try different things to improve a product, but if a change makes more customers not want it then i would say the change was bad and needs to be removed or have a 2nd look taken at the said change and change it again until customers are once again happy.

In the world of products no matter if its something physicaly held in your hands or digital on your electronic device its all a vicious circle. Without happy customers their is no company, without happy people to make and produce a product their is no company.
    So as long as their is a product we can all enjoy and want to spend our money on their will be a need for a company to make and produce the product and the owners/investors all get a profit. but alas sadly this formula is all to often altered and or destroyed in the name of greed.

Nothing wrong with wanting a profit, but the bean counters need to figure out that invisible line a company is not supposed to cross that sacrifices quality for profit.

Plus, personally i am still enjoying LOTRO and DDO. I might agree that some players might be leaving thus reducing their profit but i think it is counter acted by players returning and new players. I have 3 friends that spend money buying Turbine points and 2 are lifers and 3rd is a vip..

just fix the product so people will want to spend their money and if people like and are happy they will be glad to spend their money and the company will make the profits. No i do not consider the lottery or turbine store as part of the actual product. those are after market side features added.

This has been my opinion and thoughts about the issues. relevant or not.
    Last edited by Gagmuk; Feb 27 2014 at 08:09 PM.
    ***Public Safety Reminder: When Driving, Please do not use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, do not or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***

Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    customer
    Reply...pt1. er well if we knew what that was we would all be rich...or at least happier customers...
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

WP blog: Tsuhelm

I've played this game since Angmar and when it went free I by default renewed my subscription. I've played for around two months as a free premium and just returned to VIP today and I can say I missed it.

I respect the level of free available in LotRO and applaud Turbine for making a game that lives up to the free play claim but the difference is profound.

The only thing I miss from old LotRO is the level scaled quest exper for deeds. It's not as much a matter of leveling faster as it is just feeling accomplished. The TP is fine for a free account but as a VIP I want to see that exper tic when I am done killing 240 mobs. Maybe it's just old habit but when I did beast advanced in Lothlorien and it didn't come up, I was really bummed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobengulu View Post
    I agree with you mostly Yula but trait lines cost 100 mithril coins from 3rd trait line onwards at the exchange rate for mithril coins from TP I will need 1000 mithril for my 10 characters to just have the normal 3 trait lines each. costing around 800+tp per 100 it will take me a couple of years to kit them out.
    That's more a thing of comfort or not. You can either see it as a way to just have fast access to at least 3 specs or you can see it as laziness because you don't change between 2 specs manually. Both are valid in their own point of view, but different people have different opinions about it which is the same with the access to the moors and all the other stuff here. When I saw the costs during Beta I decided for myself not to buy the 3rd slot and change them manually whenever I need to do so. So it works without the 3d slot and imo it's just a thing of comfort. (I'm not meaning to be offensive, just stating different views. )

VIPs/Ex-VIPs got their set-bonuses from the specs. F2P and Premium(Ex-F2P) had/have to buy them with tp. You might add the 3rd slot for subs only and only during subs, which I would support because it's some kind of extra for VIPs making comfort and not changing the gameplay between VIPs/Non-VIPs, but VIPs shouldn't forget that named set-bonuses aren't granted to everyone - although you keep them, after your sub expires...

Orodbril

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    That idea I would support, too, although I haven't subscribed right now (but I have before and I will again), so don't pigeon-hole everyone.

I like the idea of VIP lifers getting free or discounted experience stoppers.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ee82ee][I]There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow.[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#008000] - Fog on the Barrow-Down[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I'm probably odd woman out, here, but remote vault and mail access aren't attractive to me. Maybe it's an immersion thing, but I prefer to actually go to a vault-keeper or a mailbox. Also, I'm bad enough about opening pending loot in dangerous places and rummaging around, or getting distracted by quest and deed logs and the in-game map. I don't really need any other mechanics that are tempting distractions.

I can see it now. I'm off questing with Nona somewhere in Rohan, and get a mail notification. Now, we all KNOW Nona's got no patience with us anyway. If I open my mail, then open my vault and start rummaging around trying to make room for the stack of ore I got in the mail, do you honestly think Nona isn't going to finally snap and take a chunk out of my hide with Wadu's sword? She's already wound tighter than a hunter's trap as it is.
    I agree with you. It is more a relief of an annoyance than a true perk.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    I agree with you. It is more a relief of an annoyance than a true perk.

Same can be said of most any perk though, IMO.

What one player likes, another may not. Take the dailt exp boost VIPs get. Some love it, some couldn't care less. PvMP access, some love it, I don't care at all.

Hobbit gifts, some people absolutely hate em. I'm indifferent cuz I don't get much. I end up throwing away 80% of the stuff I get (morale pots and run speed boosts).

The only "real" perk of VIP that I'd consider being liked by all is the monthly stipend of 500 TP.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Same can be said of most any perk though, IMO.

What one player likes, another may not. Take the dailt exp boost VIPs get. Some love it, some couldn't care less. PvMP access, some love it, I don't care at all.

Hobbit gifts, some people absolutely hate em. I'm indifferent cuz I don't get much. I end up throwing away 80% of the stuff I get (morale pots and run speed boosts).

The only "real" perk of VIP that I'd consider being liked by all is the monthly stipend of 500 TP.
    I've actually come up with a good use for the run speed boosts. I use them when I'm making a prospecting run. Helpful for the times when I'm on foot, especially if I'm collecting hides for my questing partner at the same time. I use one of those and a mount speed boost, and it really improves my efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    New VIP feature announced: VIPs will be able to receive and open mail anywhere, come Update 13.
    Er so I can now empty my full mailbox into my full bags out in the field... before placing into my nearly full vault...

Well it hasn't made me change my mind...still going to fade to PREMIUM...

Quote Originally Posted by mynamewastakenvandel View Post
    About Mithril, What I would like see changed is a confirmation "are you sure" prior to using it. I.E. buying quick travel or rezing, accidentally click the wrong button and they are gone, no turning back.
    Hardly ever use the stuff but when I have received some hobbit mithril I sure do not like to use it reviving in error (OMG I died...havn't done that in ages...LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    People may think this sounds ridiculous, but in a game where you can buy your way out of a subscription due to the nature of the model, you have to look at a subscription as a rewards program. It needs to feel like the LotRO equivalent of having a party in a champagne room every day you log on. You need to feel like you are king of the world without letting it negatively impact free and premium players. I think my suggestions go a long way to letting VIPs feel special, prevent non VIPs from missing out on content, while also potentially yielding more revenue for Turbine in the long run.
    Good point...where is the RED carpet...the chilled bottles of bubbly...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I still stand firmly on the NO side of this particular suggestion. VIP benefits should stop where the game window ends. They should be beneficial in-game only--special deals and perks related to gameplay, but no one should have a greater chance to get Turbine employees' attention in here because they pay a subscription, not when the consequences affect ALL players.

If that opinion makes me the squirrel in the revival, then so be it.
    Indeed the FORUMS should always be maintained open...but please explain the 'squirrel' connotation?
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

WP blog: Tsuhelm

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamimc View Post
    Indeed the FORUMS should always be maintained open...but please explain the 'squirrel' connotation?
    Squirrel in the revival - Squirrel running around inside the tent where a religious revival (evangelical) service is being held, disrupting the service as people try to chase it out or just distracting everyone.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3