We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: VIP benefits.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    333

    VIP benefits.

    Right now I'm pretty content with VIP benefits, a few small things could be added that might make it more worthwhile, such as the old version of rest exp or a small(5?) monthly mithril coin allowance. Perhaps the ability to participate in small polls on trivial things to be added in the next update, but nonetheless it feels fair. However...Why is it that so many f2pers and premiums act like they should be treated equal in terms of bonuses? I just read a thread about offering 1 free character transfer per acct for VIP online(Which I like the idea of..) and a few people were saying things such as.."Why should only VIP's get a free transfer, what about f2pers?" Which, to a logical person is a silly argument. By paying a fee, you get a product. You don't walk into starbucks and ask them for a free cup of coffee because someone else paid for a cup. I feel like it should be stressed that VIPs should get perks because they PAY and f2p should not get those perks because they DON'T pay.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

  2. #2
    Why would you want the old version of rest experience points? My personal opinion is that the current VIP bonus is a much better implementation.

    As a VIP we get 500 Turbine Points a month. It is up to us to decide how much of our monthly stipend we want to convert to Mithril Coins. I have never spent a Mithril Coin. I have no interest in having my stipend changed to a mixture of Turbine Points and Mithril Coins - for example - 450 Turbine Points and 5 Mithril Coins. It is unreasonable to expect Turbine would give us 500 Turbine Point - a five dollar value and 5 Mithril Coins - a 50 cent value each month.

    The biggest problem for me with Mithril Coins is that I can't convert them to Turbine Points. Dollars are more useful and valuable than Turbine Points. Turbine Points are more useful and valuable than Mithril Coins. The conversion is one way Dollars --> Turbine Points --> Mithril Coins.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  3. #3
    I was a VIP until just recently. Basically with all my toons at 95, a huge loss of interest in the moors and nothing else to really do the advantages aren't really that important. I do however believe that VIP should have a more compelling reason to sway people to sub. I am now back to leveling up some new toons and I am at a few areas that I need to buy (but will probably skip). I own every expac so other then a few zones that I may or may not pick up there is no real reason to go back to VIP. i do hope that changes. I play a few other games where subbing seems to be well worth it and others aren't that worth it. I guess LOTRO is somewhere in the middle. Now if i were to start these toons without being a VIP first then that is a different story. Even so 1 month to unlock many things and then back to premium is the way to go.

    But didn't the Prez's letter say that there might be some special benefits for VIP coming up? I hope so.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

  4. #4
    The other issue with mithril coins is that they aren't server-wide, like tp. You could have 400 mc on Windfola and 0 mc on Brandywine, for example. I'd imagine it would be a hassle for Turbine to get them on the right server for everyone. And some people play on multiple servers. Additionally, I don't like mithril coins all that well. I know that some people like mithril coins and some don't, but I agree with Yula - people who want mithril coins can buy them with their monthly tp if they want to.

    But I do agree that the incentives to be VIP need to be improved.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    Right now I'm pretty content with VIP benefits, a few small things could be added that might make it more worthwhile, such as the old version of rest exp or a small(5?) monthly mithril coin allowance. Perhaps the ability to participate in small polls on trivial things to be added in the next update, but nonetheless it feels fair. However...Why is it that so many f2pers and premiums act like they should be treated equal in terms of bonuses? I just read a thread about offering 1 free character transfer per acct for VIP online(Which I like the idea of..) and a few people were saying things such as.."Why should only VIP's get a free transfer, what about f2pers?" Which, to a logical person is a silly argument. By paying a fee, you get a product. You don't walk into starbucks and ask them for a free cup of coffee because someone else paid for a cup. I feel like it should be stressed that VIPs should get perks because they PAY and f2p should not get those perks because they DON'T pay.
    Sure sounds like you're not happy with your VIP. Unless you are a regular ettenmoors visitor, VIP in its current form is pointless, the old Perks system is next to useless, rested XP is trivial compared to store bought tomes, content is cheaper to 'buy' than 'rent', VIP gets no access to expansion content and pays the same price as free accounts.

    I don't think you really understand the economic realities of LOTRO. The subscription only model failed because of not enough subscribers and golden goose issues with the Lifetime subscription model. Without a move to free2play the lights would be out by now. But you want to deny and marginalise the very people that saved your game?

    Anyway, I don't think you'll ever see free transfers in LOTRO, so your point is moot. Should I ever be proved wrong in the fullness of time, I hereby promise to delete my entire account live on twitch. Your analogy is pretty poor too. If Turbine is Starbucks then they are serving three types of coffee, one basic coffee they give away free, if you pay a little something then you get a better coffee from then on, if you rent your cup then you get the best coffee. You seem to be pointing your rented cup at the line in the store and calling everyone freeloaders.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,319
    As much as I understand and appreciate how people do enjoy getting small perks for being a VIP, for me the only real perk is getting access to content that otherwise would be inaccessible. Hopefully with the new content drops due later this year that were mentioned in the producer's letter, us VIPs will see the benefits of having a subscription.

    Personally, I'd like to see regions & quest lines that are ONLY accessible to VIPs (and of course lifetimers) and which cannot be bought via the store. That's the only way that would allow the benefits of having a subscription to really stand out.
    <A sig goes here>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    On VIP Benefit:

    From here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Ahead-to-2014

    More Content, More Often – Free for VIP.
    In the past we’ve focused on yearly expansion packs that brought big changes and lots of new content at the end of the year coupled with smaller updates throughout the year and a new region in the spring. In 2014 we’re going to focus on a steady flow of content throughout the year. We’re planning on adding new content on a quarterly basis in 2014. Players have expressed a desire to explore a bit deeper into Fangorn Forest and to see Isengard flooded in the battle with the Ents. Both of these are slated for our first quarterly update in March.
    Later in the year we’ll be seeing more iconic locales and moments from the lore including the Paths of the Dead and the Dead Marshes. We will also take our first steps in Gondor!
    If you’re a VIP, these regions and content will all be free with your subscription.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    282
    My 3 month trial VIP instigated by the 14 day free promotion over Christmas which I 'forgot' to cancel is drawing to a close and I really cannot find a real reason to continue. I am actually quite willing to pay a subscription to a game I want to continue playing but the present set up for VIP's is actually too similar to Premium...

    Having come into the game F2P and having played for 2 years I have most of content through TP purchases...which is part of the game for me...indeed I was upset to miss out on 2 store sales because as VIP was unable to spend my TP on content I have access to due to being VIP...

    So the argument between F2P and VIP may wage on but until TURBINE actually make VIP's feel like Very Important People I will remain a keen Premium player...

    ...happily so as I will have purchased Milkwood quests
    WINDFOLA: Tsuhelm Hunter lv62 LANDROVAL: Tsudryt Captain lv62 LAURELIN: Opopa Burgler lv22 WITHYWINDLE: Tsukuld Rune-keeper lv85

    WP blog: Tsuhelm

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    As much as I understand and appreciate how people do enjoy getting small perks for being a VIP, for me the only real perk is getting access to content that otherwise would be inaccessible. Hopefully with the new content drops due later this year that were mentioned in the producer's letter, us VIPs will see the benefits of having a subscription.

    Personally, I'd like to see regions & quest lines that are ONLY accessible to VIPs (and of course lifetimers) and which cannot be bought via the store. That's the only way that would allow the benefits of having a subscription to really stand out.
    A partial return to the subscription model? And how would the increase in subscribers compensate for the loss in F2P-ers? I'm not sure how viable this would be, Bango.

    No, I think Turbine should do what other stores do with their most loyal customers: offer them special VIP-only deals. It's a win win: the customer feels special and the store gets more sales. In particular bonus TP sales come to mind as they bring in actual $$'s. Come on, who'd not mind a special for them only sale?

    Also I think Turbine might make a section in the forums only accessible to VIPs that has considerably more interaction with devs (through an intermediate staffer or in person) to make a good part their VIP's feel even more special. Leak some stuff there first, those kind of things.

    Another something in the lines of 'calling someone a VIP goes a long way in making someone feel like one': give the names of posters from VIP-accounts a GOLDEN (gasp!) color. Distinction, even if utterly meaningless from a singular rational point of view, works deeply on the emotional level.

    And here's another one that plays on a emotions: Make special VIP-only loading screens that adress the client as VIP and are aimed at further making them feel special. For example by reminding the VIPs of those VIP perks that haven't been mentioned here but can add on nicely over time (like gold hobbit presents?). Would also work wonders for announcing those VIP-only sales. Two birds, one stone.

    Also make it so that the none-VIPs are well aware of what they are missing out on. Very well aware. But throw them a few bones too at times, because they are special too. Just not as special as the VIPs.

    I'm not being sarcastical or trying to be funny with these suggestions. I'm very serious. The Neanderthal inside me needs to feel special. The rational man inside me keeps telling the Neanderthal that's just marketing nonsense, but he won't budge. Also, the Neanderthal has a fair degree of power over my wallet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    A partial return to the subscription model? And how would the increase in subscribers compensate for the loss in F2P-ers? I'm not sure how viable this would be, Bango.

    No, I think Turbine should do what other stores do with their most loyal customers: offer them special VIP-only deals. It's a win win: the customer feels special and the store gets more sales. In particular bonus TP sales come to mind as they bring in actual $$'s. Come on, who'd not mind a special for them only sale?
    Good idea. Look at other Loyalty membership ideas and adjust to suit. Perhaps every 4 months of VIP you get a small bonus TP stipend. Lots of scope here.

    Also I think Turbine might make a section in the forums only accessible to VIPs that has considerably more interaction with devs (through an intermediate staffer or in person) to make a good part their VIP's feel even more special. Leak some stuff there first, those kind of things.
    Good grief no. Gate anything behind VIP other than information or knowledge, particularly potential access to developer dialogue. Just no. I cannot express the strength of my rejection of this idea.

    Another something in the lines of 'calling someone a VIP goes a long way in making someone feel like one': give the names of posters from VIP-accounts a GOLDEN (gasp!) color. Distinction, even if utterly meaningless from a singular rational point of view, works deeply on the emotional level.
    Seems a lot of work to give someone a boost to their ego. Do we think most VIPs are so insecure they want their fellow players to know they are paying a sub? Anyway, Turbine can't get VIP frames to work properly in game so I wouldn't bank on this.

    Two other games I am playing currently both gate access to AH selling behind a patron/gold membership subscription. You can buy, but you can't sell. I think this is a potentially good idea, ditch AH fees first or greatly reduce them, ditch AH slots too or greatly increase them. VIP gets access while a sub is ongoing. Premium can rent selling access via TP. F2P can only buy from the AH. Of course both games I base my observations off have highly desirable items throughout all level ranges to purchase, particularly at end-game. Something LOTRO might not have in enough quantity to make this feasible.

  11. #11
    I hosted a game server in my home "never Winter Knights". Several players would campaign together using Team Speak. That is how I heard about LOTRO. If you buy a game in the store it's around $50. I'm not going to pay a monthly subscription for a game that ultimately costs me more then that $50. Then I found out LOTRO is F2P so I had to try it, really enjoy it and 2 years later I'm still here, but as VIP.

    If it was not for F2P I would not be here. When talk (rumors) started floating around LOTRO's days are numbered I started looking for another game, All I found were juvenile (scantily clad extremely well endowed women) games that really had no substance, or games that you had to pay before you could even try it to find out if you like it.

    My girlfriend also plays LOTRO, was VIP and now Premium and asks me why am I still VIP long after that $50? My Satellite TV costs way more then the VIP of LOTRO yet I get much more entertainment value out of LOTRO. Thanks to sales, coupon codes and the 500 Turbine a month I've got most of what I want unlocked (still waiting on sales for war steed colors) while my girlfriend is grinding to make enough Turbine to unlock expansions and still has along ways to go.

    About Mithril, What I would like see changed is a confirmation "are you sure" prior to using it. I.E. buying quick travel or rezing, accidentally click the wrong button and they are gone, no turning back. When they first came out I did click it just to see what it was, little did I know at the time you can not get them in game. And yes I do wish they were account wide, I play 3 servers.

  12. #12
    I bought 3-months of VIP-time in the past, so all of my characters have the lasting VIP perks, I bought every quest pack, every expansion, and the skirmishes and instances I was interested in. Sometimes I buy a pile of TP to buy what I like (shared vault, wardrobe, huried traveller, Journeyman riding trait, Mithril coins, ...). I have no need for rested XP (on the contrary) and I never PvP.
    So to me, there is NO reason whatsoever in a lasting VIP subscription. So I agree that VIP's should get additional benefits. On the other hand, as a Premium player I already spent about 200€ (275$) in total on this game, (I almost never buy something which isn't on sale, except for the 2 latest expansions which I pre-ordered) which is already a nice amount for Turbine, I suppose.
    Last edited by Eliahnus; Feb 26 2014 at 09:19 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldumDown View Post
    Good grief no. Gate anything behind VIP other than information or knowledge, particularly potential access to developer dialogue. Just no. I cannot express the strength of my rejection of this idea.
    Just by your reaction it's clear how strong this is. No benefit in game AT ALL, no P2W in there. But a huge upscaling of what it means to be VIP. And all it takes is a bit of special customer attention.

    Don't worry, you could still gain access to the VIP section of the forum as a premium/F2P by spending more than a certain minimum of $ in-game. Big enough spenders get the special treatment as well. Fair enough eh?

    As for the rest, well you could play free MMORPGs that offer no more but a rather juvenile outlook and scantily dressed females with physical proportions that belie the laws of gravity unless the new fantasy concept of a medical breakthrough is filling up breast implants with helium gas (pauses for breath). Or just keep enjoying what you have right now, which does account to quite the something.

    Also, I did explicitely mention that Turbine would have to take care to make none-VIP's feel special in their own right too. Just that they are a different target audience doesn't mean they are not an important one?

    Just take a look at what crowdfunding games are doing with their backers and pledge levels.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldumDown View Post
    Good grief no. Gate anything behind VIP other than information or knowledge, particularly potential access to developer dialogue. Just no. I cannot express the strength of my rejection of this idea.
    I have to agree with HoldumDown on this, and disagree with Rainothon. The forum is one place where we all should have equal access to information, regardless of account type. Giving VIP members special access to developers where no one else can see what's being said or participate in the discussion IS very much along the lines of P2W. Or at the very least, it turns VIPs into the equivalent of political lobbyists. It's like Turbine saying, "If you've got the cash, we're willing to listen to your ideas. If you don't, we don't care what you have to say."

    So no, absolutely not. On the forum everyone--Lifetime, VIP, Premium, and F2P--should be on equal footing.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I have to agree with HoldumDown on this, and disagree with Rainothon. The forum is one place where we all should have equal access to information, regardless of account type. Giving VIP members special access to developers where no one else can see what's being said or participate in the discussion IS very much along the lines of P2W. Or at the very least, it turns VIPs into the equivalent of political lobbyists. It's like Turbine saying, "If you've got the cash, we're willing to listen to your ideas. If you don't, we don't care what you have to say."

    So no, absolutely not. On the forum everyone--Lifetime, VIP, Premium, and F2P--should be on equal footing.
    Why should everyone be on equal footing in the forum?

    Why would I be a political lobbyist when I ask a question to the devs? I could just be asking them if they also use SweetFX, or how they name their cat or how many LOTR Lego's they have? Or which character from the book they like best? Or what server they play on? All the lobbying start right when there's a general 'ask the devs' thread and everyone and their cat brings their personal game interest into play (been there, done that).

    You are on equal footing as a player: you get access to the game. The rest is all gravy.

    Also the suggestion forum would of course still be open to everyone! It would be insanely silly to limit access to that treasure trove of community ideas. It would just be one particular section only in addition to everything everyone has now.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by OruiFarimur View Post
    Right now I'm pretty content with VIP benefits, a few small things could be added that might make it more worthwhile, such as the old version of rest exp or a small(5?) monthly mithril coin allowance. Perhaps the ability to participate in small polls on trivial things to be added in the next update, but nonetheless it feels fair. However...Why is it that so many f2pers and premiums act like they should be treated equal in terms of bonuses? I just read a thread about offering 1 free character transfer per acct for VIP online(Which I like the idea of..) and a few people were saying things such as.."Why should only VIP's get a free transfer, what about f2pers?" Which, to a logical person is a silly argument. By paying a fee, you get a product. You don't walk into starbucks and ask them for a free cup of coffee because someone else paid for a cup. I feel like it should be stressed that VIPs should get perks because they PAY and f2p should not get those perks because they DON'T pay.
    I agree, more incentives for VIPs can't hurt. I have to agree with Yula on the rest xp suggestion, because the old xp gave nothing for quests. Yes it is used up a lot faster now, but I don't remember ever running out of the old xp so I never truly received the full benefit of having it.

    One thing to consider, we are supposed to be seeing four updates with new areas this year. I expect them to be free to VIPs, and I think this is the number one benefit that a VIP gets now (unless you PvP).

  17. #17
    As someone who has played LotRO off and on over the years, I can tell you why a VIP status is both appealing and not worth it to me:

    Why it is good:
    - Hassle free access to content
    - Point stipend
    - Misc perks, like gold hobbit present, etc
    - Feels like a solid way to support a game you enjoy

    Why it is not:
    - Feels like a waste versus buying content
    - Doesn't seem to reward in the long term
    - No benefits that really stand out

    How to fix:
    - Loyalty Rewards: Rift has a great model for something like this. They have tiers as you go on, whether by paying money in the store or your monthly sub. Each tier you get a lot of little rewards along the way and unlock a large reward at each new level. This includes cosmetics, mounts, pets, etc. In LotRO this could be mounts, cosmetics, and mithril coins along with various goodies.

    - Permanent and/or frequent Turbine Point sales: If I knew that being VIP would allow me constant access to the crazy bonus point deals, I would be much more inclined to subscribe in the first place, spend extra money on coins in the second, etc. It would also add incentive for me to resubscribe when I want coins even if I already have all content unlocked. Essentially it layers the desire for subscribing to get deep discounts. (along with this could be permanent half price mithril coins)

    - Several VIP only areas and activities inside the game. I don't mean large pieces of content or entire zones, but something more meaningful. Maybe there could be special neighborhood instances for VIPs where they can host events, have activities developed in game sorta like the festivals, and generally make VIP feel like being a part of a rich community. Let every Friday have a crazy Gandalf fireworks show inside their neighborhood that changes every month so people have new routines to see. Think outside the box and inside the universe!

    - More perks, more perks, more perks.


    People may think this sounds ridiculous, but in a game where you can buy your way out of a subscription due to the nature of the model, you have to look at a subscription as a rewards program. It needs to feel like the LotRO equivalent of having a party in a champagne room every day you log on. You need to feel like you are king of the world without letting it negatively impact free and premium players. I think my suggestions go a long way to letting VIPs feel special, prevent non VIPs from missing out on content, while also potentially yielding more revenue for Turbine in the long run.
    BAD WOLF

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    Why should everyone be on equal footing in the forum?

    Why would I be a political lobbyist when I ask a question to the devs? I could just be asking them if they also use SweetFX, or how they name their cat or how many LOTR Lego's they have? Or which character from the book they like best? Or what server they play on? All the lobbying start right when there's a general 'ask the devs' thread and everyone and their cat brings their personal game interest into play (been there, done that).

    You are on equal footing as a player: you get access to the game. The rest is all gravy.

    Also the suggestion forum would of course still be open to everyone! It would be insanely silly to limit access to that treasure trove of community ideas. It would just be one particular section only in addition to everything everyone has now.
    I didn't say the entire forum would be closed. The proposal as I read it was that VIPs would have a special forum only they could see, and where only they could interact with the devs. THAT, I think, is the wrong way to go. I'm VIP, and I sure wouldn't waste special access on banalities like "how many LOTR Legos do you have?" I'd engage on stuff that's important to me, especially if I finally had the attention of someone who could fix the problems with Minstrels. We already get answers to the banal topics in the open. No need to hide them behind a VIP gate.

    The Ask the Devs thread is a completely different kettle of fish, as your comment just pointed out whether you intended it to or not. EVERYONE has access to asking the devs, and EVERYONE sees the answers. In a gated forum, no one but paying players would be asking questions or getting answers...or having the opportunity to influence how a class is adjusted.

    Why should I, as a VIP, have the right to have MY comments and concerns given special attention by a dev when F2P and Premium players have concerns and comments that are just as valid? There are a number of players who have been playing my classes for years who have a much greater understanding of the classes' roles in many more situations than I do. What they have to say is extremely important and shouldn't be ignored simply because they don't currently subscribe. We also shouldn't be in the position of knowing info before anyone else simply because we pay money for game access. This isn't a magazine subscription, after all, where a subscription gets you access to extra articles or recipes online. We're talking about having greater influence than the general populace.

    I still stand firmly on the NO side of this particular suggestion. VIP benefits should stop where the game window ends. They should be beneficial in-game only--special deals and perks related to gameplay, but no one should have a greater chance to get Turbine employees' attention in here because they pay a subscription, not when the consequences affect ALL players.

    If that opinion makes me the squirrel in the revival, then so be it.
    Last edited by SouthernBelle0927; Feb 26 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: to say something in a nicer way

  19. #19
    Great debate going on here, I've questioned myself whether VIP was worth it or not.

    In the end I decided I would rather go a la carte, spend money on TP rather than VIP. I could spend $100 on a year of VIP or buy 11,000 TP and, what am I missing out on? PvMP and gold hobbit presents. It seems to me that VIP comes down to whether you like PvMp or not

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Posts
    2,226
    New VIP feature announced:

    VIPs will be able to receive and open mail anywhere, come Update 13.

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...97#post7109897
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Surrounded by familiar faces, worn out places... worn out places..
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    I didn't say the entire forum would be closed. The proposal as I read it was that VIPs would have a special forum only they could see, and where only they could interact with the devs. THAT, I think, is the wrong way to go. I'm VIP, and I sure wouldn't waste special access on banalities like "how many LOTR Legos do you have?" I'd engage on stuff that's important to me, especially if I finally had the attention of someone who could fix the problems with Minstrels. We already get answers to the banal topics in the open. No need to hide them behind a VIP gate.

    The Ask the Devs thread is a completely different kettle of fish, as your comment just pointed out whether you intended it to or not. EVERYONE has access to asking the devs, and EVERYONE sees the answers. In a gated forum, no one but paying players would be asking questions or getting answers...or having the opportunity to influence how a class is adjusted.

    Why should I, as a VIP, have the right to have MY comments and concerns given special attention by a dev when F2P and Premium players have concerns and comments that are just as valid? There are a number of players who have been playing my classes for years who have a much greater understanding of the classes' roles in many more situations than I do. What they have to say is extremely important and shouldn't be ignored simply because they don't currently subscribe. We also shouldn't be in the position of knowing info before anyone else simply because we pay money for game access. This isn't a magazine subscription, after all, where a subscription gets you access to extra articles or recipes online. We're talking about having greater influence than the general populace.

    I still stand firmly on the NO side of this particular suggestion. VIP benefits should stop where the game window ends. They should be beneficial in-game only--special deals and perks related to gameplay, but no one should have a greater chance to get Turbine employees' attention in here because they pay a subscription, not when the consequences affect ALL players.

    The last thing we need around here is a contingent of Sister Bertha Better-Than-You's working to get the game tweaked to their preferences at the expense of non-paying players. If that opinion makes me the squirrel in the revival, then so be it.
    /applause

    I'm not currently VIP, but nonetheless even if I had been VIP I would not want to have special treatment over other, non-paying customers when it comes to things that affect the game. Everybody who plays this game should be given equal treatment when it comes to having "influence" on what direction the game will go in, be allowed to voice their concerns, give suggestions/advice/things of the like, and I don't know what else.

    The reason for this is very similar to what Belle already stated above, namely that it would twist how information could be properly used. If that system as proposed would be implemented, it would mean that a person who just started playing and decided they'd immediately start with VIP would have more influence and earlier knowledge on and of changes to the game/their class/their vocations/their playstyle than non-paying players who have been doing exactly that for months or even years.

    I'm all for extra perks for VIPs - XP increases, access to all xpacs, damage perks, special VIP-only presents, a monthly allowance of Mithril Coins, I don't know what else - but I do not want to see the forums, interaction with the devs, or influence on the game to have a semi-oligarchical twang to them. Just because you pay for extra perks does not mean you should be given special, preferative treatment - it only means that you pay for extra goodies in-game. They can increase the worth of those goodies all they want and I'm all up for it, but don't let it be that you get special privileges out-of-game.
    Do not trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
    Easca could manipulate a bull through a mousehole and still make it think it did it all by itself.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Surrounded by familiar faces, worn out places... worn out places..
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    New VIP feature announced:

    VIPs will be able to receive and open mail anywhere, come Update 13.

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...97#post7109897
    Yay! (Now I'll add this because my message must contain at least 10 characters.)
    Do not trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
    Easca could manipulate a bull through a mousehole and still make it think it did it all by itself.

  23. #23
    While special perks for subscribers or incentives to become/stay a subscriber are an interesting subject, we have no idea if they are the most profitable segment for Turbine. For all we know, Turbine has discerned that long term PVP'rs are the most profitable, or people in the first 4 months of playing, or people with 5 or more actively leveling characters, or ...

    Profitable is also more than revenue, but about keeping expenses in check, so some have made the assumption that Turbine has sacrificed the revenue gained by creating group content but that is offset by the expense saved by not creating it.

    Other than subscribers being a more predictable source of revenue, we don't know what the ideal customer profile looks like.

  24. #24
    Just 1 example of some benefits. Everyone gets a daily silver Hobbit present, VIPs get access to a weekly gold present. It is very random in what you can get. Which can be the downer with this system since you can open a gold present and get a (single) scroll of finesse. Now that doesn't seem very gold present like to me. I'd suggest making the gold present feel more like a gold present, better items. A weekly chance at a "better" item is an incentive/benefit of being VIP.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by KielArronax View Post
    Just 1 example of some benefits. Everyone gets a daily silver Hobbit present, VIPs get access to a weekly gold present. It is very random in what you can get. Which can be the downer with this system since you can open a gold present and get a (single) scroll of finesse. Now that doesn't seem very gold present like to me. I'd suggest making the gold present feel more like a gold present, better items. A weekly chance at a "better" item is an incentive/benefit of being VIP.
    True, a scroll of finesse isn't all that great a gold present. I've also had some duds. Then again, I've had some great ones, including 200 mithril coins last week. I've noticed an overall improvement lately in hobbit present offerings, although I still get Dale-men's Crams far more often than I'd like. You'd think a hobbit would at least give out superior pies.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload