We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry Anyone getting forced interruptions from Pando for an "Update"?

Have you been getting a request on your computers to update a program called "Pando Media Booster" ?
    It keeps on interrupting our PC's every half-hour or so even during the game, sending us back to the desktop.
    I found a "Pando" program on my PC and deleted it but the requests still come up. My wife's PC also has it installed
    but I haven't tried to remove it yet. I tried running our anti-virus program scans (Avast) with no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnevets View Post
    Have you been getting a request on your computers to update a program called "Pando Media Booster" ?
    It keeps on interrupting our PC's every half-hour or so even during the game, sending us back to the desktop.
    I found a "Pando" program on my PC and deleted it but the requests still come up. My wife's PC also has it installed
    but I haven't tried to remove it yet. I tried running our anti-virus program scans (Avast) with no results.
    There is no reason at all to keep Pando Media Booster installed after you've downloaded the LOTRO setup files. Once the files are downloaded you can completely uninstall Pando.

You do NOT want it or Happy Cloud installed on your computer (Happy Cloud is the other thing used to download LOTRO) as they'll suck up your bandwidth fast and cause problems.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

I have Happy Cloud LotRO installed, it consumes basically no bandwidth each month. I'm not sure why you are having trouble.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    I have Happy Cloud LotRO installed, it consumes basically no bandwidth each month. I'm not sure why you are having trouble.
    Happy Cloud will not use any bandwidth after Lotro is installed. It is a progressive down loader where the application or game is hosted on servers.

Pando Media Booster on the other hand is Peer-To-Peer file sharing application that uses the Bit Torrent protocols. In the case of Pando Media Booster, your PC is the host. Your PC is connected to all the other PCs and servers running your Pando Media Boosters. PMB all the same problems all file sharing services do:

1) You are seeding the files. Some of your bandwidth and CPU capacity is being to deliver Lotro to other customers . Which can be a big problem if you have a monthly bandwidth in gigabytes.

2) Since PMB connects to all the other PCs in your community, you have potential of receiving malware. The most common way is to put a nasty payload into one of the application files. This virus, key logger ... infected file gets sent to everyone.

3) There is always the potential that someone will load malware onto one of the servers that host the PMB software. That is what has happened here. One of the servers that is part of the Lotro PMB community has become infected.

There are people that have fond dreams of loading a virus infected payload into something like Microsoft windows Update servers. Or any of the other heavily used applications like Adobe Flash Player, Acroreader, Skype to name three that I use.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I was under the impression the LOTRO-installer would uninstall Pando Media Booster after it was done. I remember this was the case when I last installed a LOTRO client (HD beta). Is that a wrong impression?

If I install LOTRO today, and not from steam but from the website, would I still use Pando Media Booster?

Just uninstall pando media booster once you are done with the client installation. It's only used while downloading the lotro client and serves to nothing else other than making your connection suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnevets View Post
    I uninstalled my Pando last night...deleting the folder in my C drive programs folder as well.

I would recommend you and your wife do the same. Once you have the game completely installed, you don't need this program anymore.

I wish you luck.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...do+media+boost
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

I had posted links to help anyone that was hit with malware from this bogus update to Pando Media Booster. Specifically removing the browser hijack. I can't seem to find it now, it was around here some place.

I find it astonishing that Turbine is still using Pando Media Booster to facilitate client downloads.

I strongly advise people to use Steam to download the client.

Quote Originally Posted by HoldumDown View Post
    I had posted links to help anyone that was hit with malware from this bogus update to Pando Media Booster. Specifically removing the browser hijack. I can't seem to find it now, it was around here some place.

I find it astonishing that Turbine is still using Pando Media Booster to facilitate client downloads.

I strongly advise people to use Steam to download the client.

How to remove Sweet Page browser hijack:

http://www.antivirus-blog.com/remova...-page-removal/

Also, if you have a local friend who plays LOTRO, you can copy their install onto your computer and avoid the download and update wait.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    We had already removed the Pando software and would still get the PopUps demanding we do the update to Pando.
    We got rid of it by doing a Restore on both our PCs to about two weeks ago and immediately after the restore,
    I deleted Pando (and Happy Cloud from hers) and then did a reboot to make sure they were gone.
    No more popups since then. A friend accepted the update Sunday and the malware changed the homepages on
    all of his internet sources like explorer and firefox, etc. He had a bad time trying to fix the damage.

If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 115 WDN :.: Daire, 86 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 101 CHN :.: Brandon, 75 CPT :.: Honey, 73 GRD :.: Griffon, 72 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 106 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 61 WDN :.: Baye, 63 WDN :.: Samtal, 65 WDN :.:Dunnock, 58 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 70 LMR :.: Breyon, 45 CHN :.: Totes, 115 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

As I'm sure everyone else has said already, the first thing you should do when you are done installing LotRO is uninstall Pando. The LotRO client is perfectly capable of keeping itself and the game totally up to date.

Some tavern, somewhere in the Shire, lost the keys to my horse
    In the tech support forum section I wrote this to help:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ary-March-2014
    Ogmios ~ Davidge ~ Eriuwen ~ Kainoa ~ Braidfoot

I'm just gonna link to the official post on this subject as its in the ghost town that is Tech support sub.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...er-Please-read