We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Add a GOOD reward to Barrow-Downs Survival!

Barrow-Downs Survival has to be one of the least-played skirmishes in the game simply because it has no greater reward than Marks. On the other hand, it is ALSO the instance that has the most deeds associated with it in the entire game, bar none, AND the instance that generates the most lag for players, too. The lack of reward and the lag combine to make it the skirmish that no one really wants to do, thus only a bare handful of people world-wide have completed all the deeds (and I assume that most of them did it before the stealth and kiting exploits were fixed back at level 65).

Please, PLEASE add something to this skirmish that will tempt people to run it. It can be a cool randomly-dropped housing trophy for all I care, it doesn't need to be an uber piece of jewelry or armor or something. I really want to work on the deeds in there but I can't get anyone to help me.
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Add seals.

Good idea, that would be the simplest way to completely improve this instance. Maybe even add a LOT of seals for completing the full hour!

yes I agree
    I would love to run this but i have trouble finding the peeps to do it and you can only bribe/guilt you kin so much
    So please add seals or gear or something to get people excited to run it

Seals or gear. As is it a big time sink unless you want to do complete the deeds.
    [font=papyrus][size=3][color=red][b]"Spears shall be shaken ... shields shall be splintered!"[/color][/b]
    [b][color=darkolivegreen]Edoyn of Rohan[/color] / [color=teal] Trucido of Windfola[/color][/b][/font][/size]
    [URL=http://s235.photobucket.com/user/hammerslajl/media/rohan-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/hammerslajl/rohan-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Remember that when the skirmish system first launched, there WAS an incentive to run this instance. You got unique versions of medallions from specific instances that could be bartered for unique cosmetics. It wasn't much of an incentive, admittedly, but at least it was something.

As of right now, Barrow-Downs Survival really has no incentive other than the deeds, and that's not really enough.

INCENTIVE IDEAS
    1) Seals awarded in the raid version of the instance at 10 minutes (2 seals), 20 minutes (6 seals), 30 minutes (12 seals), and 1 hour (24 seals) increments. If you last the full hour, that would give you a total of 44 seals, which does not seem unreasonable.

2) Cosmetics, either wearable or as a housing item, as a rare drop from Lieutenants ONLY in this skirmish. Make it a 1-5% chance to drop in ANY size of the group.

3) Some sort of interesting gear drop off of level 95 raid Lieutenants. My kinship is running Moria skraids for some of our heavies who want a cloak. Throw one rare piece of gear in there somewhere and it will incentivize the instance.

I agree. Give us some incentive to convince people to run this with us.

Some of us want to complete deeds, but it is hard to do so when you can't find people who are willing to sink time into it to help you complete.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060100001149c6/signature.png]Hunnycake[/charsig]
    Moxxii 85 Minstrel ~~ Arriangil 75 Burg

Add me to the list of people wanting a wight head on a pike warsteed cosmetic.

Seals? We don't need no stinking seals. Whatya gonna do with those? Watch 'em be converted AGAIN?

Agreed. Add a chest after 1 hour mark. Right now it never ends, even after the 1 hour quest completes. After one hour, though, there is absolutely NO reward for continuing - no marks, no chest, not even kills counting toward the slayer deeds. I suppose once in a while some random Crystal might drop off a mob, but that's it.
    Radian- Champion- Landroval

I always thought that completion was reward itself for the Barrow Downs Survival. Knowing you had done something few others have would be reward enough for me.
    People used to say they never ran the raids for loot but to be challenged. That always sat a bit off with me as Barrow Downs was one such challenge without the loot and barely anyone done it. Imagine if people only climbed mountains becasue pot of gold was at the summit.
    Last edited by Ellemere; Mar 25 2014 at 09:29 AM.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    I always thought that completion was reward itself for the Barrow Downs Survival. Knowing you had done something few others have would be reward enough for me.
    People used to say they never ran the raids for loot but to be challenged. That always sat a bit off with me as Barrow Downs was one such challenge without the loot and barely anyone done it. Imagine if people only climbed mountains becasue pot of gold was at the summit.
    That argument is silly. You run it the first few times for the challenge. THEN you need to have some sort of incentive.

I HAVE done Barrow-Downs Survival. MANY TIMES. But the deed requirements make it so that you must maintain interest in a raid. And the way to maintain interest is to give rewards. The reason that people run any instance multiple times is rewards.

Right now, Barrrow-Downs Survival has NO REWARDS AT ALL, really. You can get Marks and random crystals much easier and faster from just about every other instance. Also, after the next update when First Age Symbols start dropping in other instances, that is going to be the primary motivation for almost everyone. No one will ever run Barrow-Downs Survival again. I can barely get my Kinship to do a raid of it right now, and that only if I cajole, plead, and use passive-aggressive tactics... and in the last year I've only managed to succeed in getting them to do it on raid night twice in the last year.

One problem with this skirmish is that it has been exploited more than once.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    One problem with this skirmish is that it has been exploited more than once.
    Exploits should be solved by a fix instead of having bad loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    That argument is silly. You run it the first few times for the challenge. THEN you need to have some sort of incentive.

I HAVE done Barrow-Downs Survival. MANY TIMES. But the deed requirements make it so that you must maintain interest in a raid. And the way to maintain interest is to give rewards. The reason that people run any instance multiple times is rewards.

Right now, Barrrow-Downs Survival has NO REWARDS AT ALL, really. You can get Marks and random crystals much easier and faster from just about every other instance. Also, after the next update when First Age Symbols start dropping in other instances, that is going to be the primary motivation for almost everyone. No one will ever run Barrow-Downs Survival again. I can barely get my Kinship to do a raid of it right now, and that only if I cajole, plead, and use passive-aggressive tactics... and in the last year I've only managed to succeed in getting them to do it on raid night twice in the last year.
    The incentive is the completion of the deeds and a clear deed log, for me and others that run it with me on Eldar.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

The incentive is the completion of the deeds and a clear deed log, for me and others that run it with me on Eldar.
    Indeed. That is my incentive as well. However, it is not enough for many players.

Also, Yula, you perhaps have missed the fact that they've fixed all of the exploits in this instance like stealth and infinite Warden kiting, proving that you, too, have not ventured into this (un)beloved instance lately? And I should not have to regret the fact that I didn't exploit the instance when I had the chance because as it stands right now, I ain't ever finishing my deed.

It used to give an amazing amount of skirmish marks. That was the main incentive. Now, it gives rather a mediocre number.

Maxing all my skills, soldiers, traits, and personals was easy by running this skirmish a lot back in the day.
    Landroval!
    Fellrotten - Rank 12 Battlemaster LM - Zero Stars. Survivor of the Barrow-Downs. Ivar's Champion. [url=https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/showthread.php?370017-Skirmish-LT-meta-deed-mount/]Embarassing Completionist[/url]
    Soccercake - 93 Dude Minstrel
    Mulieribus - 93 Dorf Champion
    Rahey - 93 Hobbit-Hunter
    Anniemal - 92 Elf RK
    Pueblo - 77 Cappy!

Sense of accomplishment and in-game rewards are two different things. Why mix them up and confuse everything?

I still think this skirmish needs some updating. I'd love it if Turbine would even just double the amount of Marks you get from it, SOMETHING. I managed to convince 2 people to go in with me for an hour in the 3-man version of it recently and it was fun, but so very exhausting. There NEEDS to be better rewards for this!!!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    IF its not bad battle, loot increase won't happen and you know it.

I agrre with Cloudie-wan and would propose the following:

After 10 and 20 minutes drop a random major essence, after 30 and 40 minutes drop a random greater essence, after 50 adn 60 minutes and every ten minutes after drop a random supreme essence...that'll ge tpeople to run the survival. That is if drop chances are equal for all essences.