We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Nossecemna - An Old Kin Looking to Stay Around - possible merger?

Hi All,

My name is Eleyan, I'm a Minstrel, and I've been playing LOTRO since its release. I currently head up the kin Nossecemna on Meneldor.

We're a small Kin, and we've survived without actively recruiting. People have always been welcome, but the process has been decided by playing with that person and trying to determine if we're a good cultural fit. We'd rather be small than big. Most of us are in our 20's/30's/40s, we're book nerds and grammar geeks, and we like people who can balance being funny with being generally respectful. We've never been a successful raiding Kin - we're not exclusive in the right ways for that. Our strong points are longevity, quality/friendliness/helpfulness of members, and small group fellowships. We (obviously) have a level 10 Kin with the associated house. We have neighborhood we've largely bought out for communal storage. We have a good reputation for not being jerks, and you just can't buy that sort of thing these days. :P

But we are not growing any more. We've (very peacefully) passed on leadership a few times, and we're about to again. Our strengths are grand when player numbers are up. Right now the "slow to recruit" method isn't contributing to our longevity. It's a long shot, but I wanted to reach out in case a like-minded Kin was looking for another in our situation.

I am specifically looking for any Kins who would like to merge, but are interested in keeping the Nossecemna name. We're one of the oldest active continuous Kin on Meneldor (since closed beta over 7 years ago) and that isn't something we want to lose because we can never replace it. I'm not looking to take over another Kin, I'm looking to find a like-minded Kin that would benefit from merging with us and our resources.

Please:
    - I'm reaching out in case there is another Kin who thinks they must merge if they are to grow. We're not a Kin "for sale."
    - prefer writing with real words/in sentences. Clear communication is something we really value.
    - share our desire to build a kin from a basis of a good personality match rather than relying on player statistics.

So there is my long shot!
    Thank you for reading it all the way through. If any of this sounds like a good fit for you and yours, please let me know by private message.

Best regards,

Eleyan Al'Landerin
    Minstrel of Meneldor
    Nosscemna
    Last edited by bondgirl51; Mar 12 2014 at 12:19 AM. Reason: There were better ways to word things!
    Eleyan Al'Landerin
    Fearless Leader of Nossecemna
    Players Council Member
    Minstrel of Meneldor

Quote Originally Posted by bondgirl51 View Post
    Hi All,

My name is Eleyan, I'm a Minstrel, and I've been playing LOTRO since its release. I met my husband through this game. I'm currently on the Council. I'm invested in its success. I also am currently leading the Kin NOSSECEMNA. We're one of the longest active Kins on Menedlor.

We're a small Kin, and we've survived despite refusing to recruit. People have always been welcome, but the process has been decided by playing with that person and trying to determine if we're a good cultural fit. We've never devolved into shouting for recruits, and we've generally been a little picky. It doesn't matter what level one plays, or which profession, nor what gear one wears. Most of us are in our 20's/30's/40s, we like complete sentences, and we like people who can balance being funny with being generally respectful. We've never been a successful raiding Kin - we're not exclusive in the right ways for that. Our strong points are longevity, quality/friendliness/helpfulness of members, and small group fellowships. We (obviously) have a level 10 Kin with the associated house. We have neighborhood we've largely bought out for communal storage. We have a good reputation for not being jerks, and you just can't buy that sort of thing these days. :P

But we are diminishing. We've (very peacefully) passed on leadership a few times, and we're about to again. Our strengths are grand when player numbers are up. Right now the "slow to recruit" method isn't contributing to our longevity. It's a long shot, but I wanted to reach out in case a like-minded Kin was looking for another in our situation.

I am specifically looking for any Kins who would like to merge, but are interested in keeping the Nossecemna name. It is entirely possible that we're the oldest active continuous Kin on Meneldor (over 7 years) and that isn't something to walk away from because no new Kin can achieve that. I'm not looking to take over another Kin, I'm looking to find a like-minded Kin that would benefit from merging with us and our resources. If anyone has previously been a member of Nossecemna, I could consider them for my position (and if they haven't... I could still consider a great person).

Please:
    - Be serious if you're inquiring. Our resources and reputation are valuable. We are not for sale. I'm reaching out in case there is another Kin who thinks they must merge if they are to grow.
    - Write in complete sentences. Nearly all of us are college educated, many with advanced degrees. I think every single one of us have actually read Tolkien. Perfection isn't necessary, but clear communication is.
    - We play this game for fun, and we're looking for the same. We also want to remain inclusive of players regardless of level provided their personality is a good match.

So there is my long shot!
    Thank you for reading it all the way through. If any of this sounds like a good fit for you and yours, please let me know by private message.

Best regards,

Eleyan Al'Landerin
    Minstrel of Meneldor
    Nosscemna
    I hope you find what youre looking for so you can stay afloat but let me give you one tip of advance..................

saying this to people "Write in complete sentences. Nearly all of us are college educated, many with advanced degrees. " is kinda a turn off, not as much the comment of writing in complete sentences but throwing in the college degree which has nothing to do with this game.

Theres still alot of Kins around from closed beta to current play but im sure you're right theres some shrinking ones who might want to merge for a better fit for both.

Good luck
    A tree is a tree, a Rock is a rock and a Troll is Elmo

Hi Legend, my apologies. I see your point about how my words came across as exclusive. And, obviously, exclusive language isn't a smart choice to make when trying to connect with others. Thank you for pointing it out, and I'm sorry for causing any offence! I'm going to edit my original post to set those things apart so they don't read as if one statement is dependent on the other. Writing a post at 1:30AM with a bottle of wine for companionship didn't result in my best writing. :P

I mentioned education because I'm hoping to find people who share things in common with us beyond this game. A lot of us are knee deep in education as either students, grad-students, researchers or teachers. In my mind it's the same as saying "as a group, most of us are really into horses - many of us professionally!" You're right - it has nothing to do with the game. I meant it only to be a descriptor, and it came across as a requirement. You don't have to like horses, but if horses drive you crazy you wouldn't want to start hanging out with people who talk about them all the time.

I have to stand by the complete sentences thing, though...
    I know that substituting numbers for letters and writing in text shorthand has nothing to do with how well someone plays this game. But I'm trying to find people to socialize with (rather than only play with). I don't want to spend hours trying to decipher L337-speak, and no one who prefers communicating that way wants to hear me b*tch and moan about kids these days. It definitely goes both ways.
    Last edited by bondgirl51; Mar 12 2014 at 12:22 AM.
    Eleyan Al'Landerin
    Fearless Leader of Nossecemna
    Players Council Member
    Minstrel of Meneldor

Quote Originally Posted by bondgirl51 View Post
    Hi Legend, my apologies. I see your point about how my words came across as exclusive. And, obviously, exclusive language isn't a smart choice to make when trying to connect with others. Thank you for pointing it out, and I'm sorry for causing any offence! I'm going to edit my original post to set those things apart so they don't read as if one statement is dependent on the other. Writing a post at 1:30AM with a bottle of wine for companionship didn't result in my best writing. :P

I mentioned education because I'm hoping to find people who share things in common with us beyond this game. A lot of us are knee deep in education as either students, grad-students, researchers or teachers. In my mind it's the same as saying "as a group, most of us are really into horses - many of us professionally!" You're right - it has nothing to do with the game. I meant it only to be a descriptor, and it came across as a requirement. You don't have to like horses, but if horses drive you crazy you wouldn't want to start hanging out with people who talk about them all the time.

I have to stand by the complete sentences thing, though...
    I know that substituting numbers for letters and writing in text shorthand has nothing to do with how well someone plays this game. But I'm trying to find people to socialize with (rather than only play with). I don't want to spend hours trying to decipher L337-speak, and no one who prefers communicating that way wants to hear me b*tch and moan about kids these days. It definitely goes both ways.

All is good and im not offended at all, actually i was just pointing it out that some could take it the wrong way and be offended from it because that doesnt make the person good or bad, doesnt make them any less fun to be around either.

All is good thanks.
    A tree is a tree, a Rock is a rock and a Troll is Elmo