We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Offer Free Server Transfers to VIPs

Given the state of the game and no announcement of server mergers...

All VIPs should be offered one free server transfer per account

(One character per account)

This isn't going to happen because server transfer require a significant amount of employee time to do the manual steps that are not handled by the tooling. Rumor has it that one employee can do 3 character transfers an hour. That is not going to be given away. If that figure is correct, there isn't much profit in the character transfer process.

There is supposed to be a new tool coming. It is anybody's guess as to when it will be finished and ready for live deployment.

It is unfortunate Turbine doesn't have the highly automated tooling some other game companies do. There are some games where the transfer tooling is fully functional. Customers can transfer their characters themselves.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

And what about Lifetime subscribers, Premium accounts and F2p? It should be given to all, not just one element, and, it's about time NA players be allowed to transfer characters to EU servers if they happen to be moving there/back home/just want to and vice versa. I know...we have been told Turbine doesn't have the proper coding information from Codemasters, but, they are failing to see that they could make some money by getting it done at $25 per character.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    And what about Lifetime subscribers, Premium accounts and F2p? It should be given to all, not just one element, and, it's about time NA players be allowed to transfer characters to EU servers if they happen to be moving there/back home/just want to and vice versa. I know...we have been told Turbine doesn't have the proper coding information from Codemasters, but, they are failing to see that they could make some money by getting it done at $25 per character.
    NA to EU transfers are all but impossible because of SPECIFIC standards that were not followed by Codemasters when operating the game in Europe. Integrating in a reliable fashion, guaranteeing no loss of data/stuff between the two is very expensive, and risky.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

From what I've seen here and WoW, it requires a bit of manpower and effort, so it'll never happen.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

My personal opinion.

Turbine doesn't perceive the character transfer service as profit center. This situation tells me that Turbine does not generate many dollars above the costs of offering the service. The total profit per year for character transfer is low enough, Turbine can't afford to develop a EU-NA character transfer tool.

Turbine has stopped accepting new transfer requests at least twice. Turning the service off - results in no income. The lack of these 25 dollars purchases did not seem to bother Turbine. It can't be a high profit item if a company is willing to shut it down for a while.

This is another of many cases of me looking at the black box, shaking it. I really want to open it up and see how it works. Its behavior looking at the box from the outside does not make a lot sense. It is not a Turbine specific situation. Many companies have products, processes, features that seem totally nonsense. I will never get the satisfaction of knowing.

I worked at a company years ago that took our sick leave, vacation time, jury duty time and combined it into one big pool that we could use for anything. Some nitwit came up with a formal policy where we had to put a request for a day off 24 hours in advance using a online corporate form. If you wear sick, you had to go into work because of 24 hour rule. People like me would come in to hack and cough. Wait for our supervisor to fill an online form to send me home. Even though I worked there, I never got a reasonable answer to this crazy policy that could not be changed.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I am just looking for a peaceful resolution to the current state of the game

I need a way to justify paying a monthly fee

A free server transfer would help me live with the knowledge that I am paying to play this game

Increasing the benefits to VIPs should help retain the playerbase and prevent a mass exodus to other games

One of the recent "walks" or 20 questions mentioned upcoming improvements to the character transfer system. These unstated improvements were first promised over a year ago. Based on what happened with kinship renames and character undeletes, I suspect quicker transfers with a lower price tag may come sometime this year. Besides, someone at LOTRO has serious RIFTS envy and that game offers free (and quick!) transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maulnakh View Post

I need a way to justify paying a monthly fee

Even though a free server transfer is not going to happen, the above quote is a very valid concern.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Surrounded by familiar faces, worn out places... worn out places..
    NA-EU transfers are impossible due to significant data differences between the two kinds of servers. Since trying to work this out is probably not profitable for Turbine, I doubt it will happen anytime soon, although I hope they will come (I still want some of my chars on Elendilmir transferred to Gwaihir and Laurelin).

Also, I don't think they get a lot of money out of it. $25 dollars is about as much as a sane customer would pay for the service, but I doubt it would be highly profitable for it, especially considering the fact that not an extreme awful lot of server transfers are taking place.
    Do not trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
    Easca could manipulate a bull through a mousehole and still make it think it did it all by itself.