We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Fountain Street, Towerglan, Bree-land Homesteads, Arkenstone, Sweden

Getting Skirmish Currency without doing skirmishes or instances...

First off, I know Instances are a part of the game, even in the Main Quest line, so lets just settle that I do them when I have to.

That being said, I don't like them. I do not like the Skirmish approach, and I do not like the Raid instances. It is just not how I want to play the game. It is not how I want to earn in game currency and it is not my choice of path to get better gear. However, we can barter Marks and Medallions for gear, we even get (via the Sages of Eriador) the opportunity to get even higher currency via repeating instances and getting Marks of Victory. AFAIK.

Well, this is of course a useless statement or even a useless thread, but let me just say I really do not like or enjoy these parts of the game and hence bartering stuff with currency, any kind of currency, is not something I presently think I will be doing and thus I loose the chance to get significant gear. Give me an alternative.

Thank you for wasting your time developing this and I apologize to potential readers of this thread if you in any way feel offended, disturbed or just want to get to catch me online and rip my guts out.

Have a good day.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Arkenstone
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite 71 GRD, Armourer | Tarostel 54 HNT, Armsman | Angredeth 95 HNT, Tinker

Oh the irony.

As I log in I get 120 marks as Silver Hobbit Gift. GJ Turbine....
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Oh the irony.

Given that the best armour in game is crafted you have nothing to fear, and for the jewelry again crafted is only just subpar of the battles stuff. and way better than anything at the skirmish camp.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

This may sound silly but.. why do you need to get better gear if you don't do skirms or instances?
    Founding Member of the Vocal Minority....

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    If you want skirmish camp currency like Marks/Medallions, do Warbands, Big Battles or hope for some in your Hobbit Present. Seals, no such luck. Gotta do raids and such.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

You can get a lot of skirmish currency from the Yule Festival
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

You can get plenty of Marks and Medallions from the Anniversary Event, coming late April. After the event is over, you can barter the Anniversary tokens for Marks and Medallions, if no changes to it are made this year.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

As someone else has stated, the gear and items on the skirmish camp are meant for those who do run the instances / raids and need that better gear to attempt higher tiers. If you are not running those there is really no reason to need it.

If you want it, the only way is to earn those marks either the suggestions listed or run the instances and earn the currency. Originally most of that gear you could not even get in the Skirmish camp it was only available as drops in the instances but around Riders of Rohan they made it where you can get it.

As far as gear types, if you mean the lvl 95 Skirmish gear... the landscape, quest and crafted gear is much better. If they do release Raid tier armour... I hope they do as they did with the Erebor set and gate it behind a deed so not everyone is running around with it. Raid gear and the likes should be for those who run it. Just my personal stance. Same with Second Age Weapons. Having one from the epic is fine... but you should have to work for another not go to the skirmish camp and buy one rather cheaply.
    Welcome to Maitenance Mode
    Me: Please Add Draigoch Scales to the Skrimish Camp or Rep Barter Vendors in Dunland We are 30 Levels Past that Content
    Other forum members: You want it... do the content
    Me: Yeah I see your point
    Other forum members: Please add trait points to the store and more valor options so we dont have to run content
    Me: O.o ... Seriously?

And when the Devs make fun of how buggy it is in Bingo that should tell you something
    Peace Love and Tacos

I'm not a great fan of the festivals, yet I would never think that the game should give me access to festival rewards by another route.
    <A sig goes here>

The Marks of Victory from the sages only let you barter for level 50 gear and various potions and tokens, last I checked. So I don't reckon many people spend their time grinding for those.

If skirmishing isn't your thing, that's fine. It sounds like you just want to get your gear playing solo, am I right? There's plenty of crafted gear to go for, or buy stuff in the auction house that other people got from instances. Heck, quest rewards and random drops are all you need if you're not doing instances anyway. Plus, as you've noticed, you sometimes get marks or medallions as a hobbit present, so you can eventually buy that gear without ever skirmishing. Though if you take a look at the skirmish gear, I think you'll find that a lot of it is not that great, so I don't think you're missing out on much.

Give me an alternative.
    Crafting exists for the very reasons you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexendynamus View Post
    Crafting exists for the very reasons you describe.
    In practice, it doesn't work that way, though. It's not an option unless you want to devote a lot of time, and ironically, spent a lot of time not playing.

You want to craft something good? You need to craft rep items...which have cooldowns. So you have to log in once a day, craft, then log out.

Okay, you've spend 3 months of doing nothing but crafting rep items...now you want to craft armor? Oh wait, that requires a rep item, the largest, with a week long cooldown.

So that's 6 weeks to craft your set of armor. What about a cloak? Or Jewellry? You need crafting alts for those as well.

And some of these items require stuff besides a rep item. Where can you get those? By trading in marks and medallions. Ooops.

What they need to do is take a page from SWTOR, and hand out marks/medallions for completing quests. All quests give now is vendor trash (maybe it gets better in HD, but up to there, it's all vendor trash). Marks/Medallions would give non-raiders a way to actually get decent gear or even the means to make decent gear.

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    In practice, it doesn't work that way, though. It's not an option unless you want to devote a lot of time, and ironically, spent a lot of time not playing.

You want to craft something good? You need to craft rep items...which have cooldowns. So you have to log in once a day, craft, then log out.

Okay, you've spend 3 months of doing nothing but crafting rep items...now you want to craft armor? Oh wait, that requires a rep item, the largest, with a week long cooldown.

So that's 6 weeks to craft your set of armor. What about a cloak? Or Jewellry? You need crafting alts for those as well.

And some of these items require stuff besides a rep item. Where can you get those? By trading in marks and medallions. Ooops.

What they need to do is take a page from SWTOR, and hand out marks/medallions for completing quests. All quests give now is vendor trash (maybe it gets better in HD, but up to there, it's all vendor trash). Marks/Medallions would give non-raiders a way to actually get decent gear or even the means to make decent gear.
    Some of what you mention is true, other things you mention aren't quite right. To explain in more detail:

First, if you are crafting guild rep items for guild recipes, you can make small every day, medium every couple days, and large once a week. The small can be traded in for medium, the medium for large, and the large are the items used in recipes (so you can make two different crafting guild recipes per week if you do it right). The issue of timing here is that you need resources of the level range to make that level range armor. So, if you are trying to progress through an area with the absolute best gear, you may have to wait until you've gathered enough ingredients (and leveled your craft as well as your guild reputation enough), or get the ingredients from someone who has already progressed through the area.

Second, often in the later levels the reputation vendors for the region you are in will barter single use recipes that are similar to the crafting guild recipes. When I say similar I mean if you crit the item you are trying make it will be exactly like a crafting guild recipe (teal), if you fail to crit it will be of a lower quality (purple item) than the crafting guild's recipes. The timing comes into play here as well. For faction reputation recipes you need some, if not maximum, reputation with the faction in question, as well as enough barter tokens for those faction recipes. If it is max reputation that is needed you don't usually have max until you have completely out-leveled the area, and no longer need the equipment. So this method is best used by a higher level player trying to equip a lower level player quickly. In combination with the crafting guild recipes a higher level crafter can produce a full set of items for the lower level player...

Third, almost all of the first two recipes are going to require a shard of some sort. What was left out is that those can be obtained through crafting nodes (ore, wood, and scholar) of that level range, by the skirmish camp for marks and medallions(the only one mentioned by Jeremy), or for the below 65 level recipes you can hunt down rainbow border enemies (guaranteed to drop the mithril flake or shard of their level).

Finally, although it makes the game easier, crafted gear is by no means a requirement for success. I really enjoy crafting, but it is extremely time consuming. Neither crafted nor instance looted gear is a requirement to quest solo on the landscape (you can do it all with quest rewards). If you are having any difficulty, a much easier way to increase your success rate is by simply playing with another person (just ask people for help). You can do this many ways. You can find people in the social panel by pressing 'o'. You can even find people that are doing the same quest as you from one of the panels (I forget which one-right click quest tracker maybe?).

I think you are making the game harder then it is.
    If you are pve'ing you can manage quite well with quest gear. You certainly don't need crafted perfect gear and at this point in the game. You can go an easy 10 levels without changing said quest gear. Now, if you are the type of person that requires perfectly crafted gear and can't step out the door of the crafting hall into the wild without it then you are relying far to heavily on your gear and not your skills to play the game. And really... logging into make a pattern then logging out for a week? You can't play without guilded crafted gear? Like.. at all? That's not enjoying a game.. that's being a slave to crafting for the sake of.... uhm....well I have no idea cause its just stupid. Go outside and play and stop worrying so much for perfect gear. Levelling is so stupid fast and easy now with all the buffs and exp weekends and tomes that you are wasting far more time (6 weeks!) for 6 pieces of gear then it takes to actually get to 95.
    What on earth do people that don't craft do!?
    Gee.. they use quest gear and manage just fine.
    Founding Member of the Vocal Minority....

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I guess it may be considered verified then that crafting is the way to go.

I am Supreme Master Scholar, SM Farmer, SM Metalsmith, SM Weaponsmith, SM Tailor and SM Woodworker. The highest available before Eregion and Moria. Guild recipes partially excluded, due to rep grinding, working on it. My Gilthiron character gets to work his rear off grinding Wood and Ore for the others. Anancite is locked up in Thorins Hall grinding rep and armour (no questing for you, lad...) and Malancil's mission is basically to be the spearhed and grind rep recipes and items for himself and the others. I guess that leaves Sturmdrang as the only one who may actually have some fun since he only needs to gather Ore, and the rest comes from the others.

So far I also aim to be Kindred with all factions. Malancil is so far only missing Eldgang, before Eregion. This takes time, and also have the consequence that when I am done with each Kindred, I am also a few levels higher than I am "supposed" to be, but, well, makes life easier.

I just recently noticed the "bartering" possibility for Guild Rep items, will use that more from now on. There is no chance to keep to the exact schedule in regards to Guild rep, but one tries.
    The only thing that bothers me is that I have six Crafting vocations that I maintain, but only four of them are able to be in the Guild, Weaponsmith is soo far out, I prioritized Woodworker to help out Sturmdrang and his Warden gear. I would deeply appreciate some collaboration with a high level Guild Weaponsmith.

Others have addressed your comments about crafting so I will address this.

Level of Effort
    Basic Solo Questing: Provides basic equipment
    Epic Book Quests (Optional): Requires additional effort; sometimes rewards characters with better equipment
    Reputation System (Optional): Requires additional effort; often allows characters to purchase better equipment with gold
    Crafting (Optional): Requires additional effort; always allows characters to make (far) superior equipment
    Instances rewarding Skirmish Mark currency (Optional): Requires additional effort; allows characters to barter for (far) superior equipment
    Player versus Player (Optional): Requires additional effort; allows characters to obtain (far) superior equipment as rank increases
    Instances rewarding barter items (Optional): Requires additional effort; allows characters to barter for (far) superior equipment

Thus, additional effort over basic solo questing gains one access to better equipment. If quests dropped skirmish currency, it would necessitate an upgrade to all other equipment, since all other equipment requires (much) more effort to obtain.

Due to the basic design structure of an MMO RPG, where maximum level and best equipment available increase over time, a character advancing through old level caps will not obtain the best possible equipment at each step without a) quickly becoming over level due to experience point acquisition, b) investing in an Experience Point Disabler, or c) having higher level characters pave the way in advance. In a sense, as the level cap increases, most superior equipment from former level caps becomes a reward for players with capped characters outfitting lower level characters. Again, additional effort yields greater rewards.

Edited for clarification.

Edit: Your join date is 2008. Presuming that is correct, you could have hundreds of Large Guild Crests in your Vault, awaiting whatever character needs them. The level cap increased about three months ago. That is enough time to craft two full suits of Guild armor and two full sets of Guild jewelry at the cap. A bit of advanced planning helps tremendously with these sorts of things.
    Last edited by Vexendynamus; Feb 23 2014 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillymala View Post
    This may sound silly but.. why do you need to get better gear if you don't do skirms or instances?
    Exactly - plus if he/she does not like doing instances they should be very happy with this last expac.

I'll agree to this. For all it's other issues, Bioware have a nice progressive reward system that benefits solo'ers, groupers and raiders alike. The lowest tier of currency - the planetary commendation can be got easily enough but which can be put to good use getting one's character geared up for the harder group content. Crafting also gives players a route to end-game gear.

However, what Bioware have done is that they've not only introduced a whole series of barter currencies for the different end game tiers but they give people multiple routes to obtain it. For example the Oricon area has a quest line that rewards the player with gear that is raid-ready - yet the player has to defeat mini-bosses that had me reaching for the youtube guides to work out the right tactics. Of course grouping would have made it easier but I like to have a choice.

I don't think it would take that much of a departure for Turbine to introduce a more progressive set of currencies. The skirmish mark rewards have always been, in my view, somewhat lacklustre and we do need more options at 95 to spend medallions. However what we lack is the difficult "dammit I died again, where's that tactics guide" content that will allow us to really stretch our classes and their builds.

What some people need to consider is that just because some of us might be more casual or solo oriented than others does not mean that we want the experience to be trivial. When I play sudoku on my phone I like a difficulty setting that makes the think, not one that I can finish in 30 seconds. When I do a crossword I like the cryptic ones, not those written for an 8 year old. There's no fun beating the computer at chess on the lowest setting - not when the standard opening moves always win.

Same with LOTRO. I don't want the same old opening 3 or 4 moves that my burglar employs to always beat an encounter. IMO it's not just about nerfing dps, rather let's see more mobs grouped up so that pulls need a bit of thought, let's have mobs make use of special induction attacks that need to be interrupted, otherwise we lose half our morale to one hit. Let's have more signature and elite mobs on the landscape that have us reaching either for our friends or the website with all the tactics, not just apply the same old rotation 5 or 6 times to kill them.

I'm sure this topic will keep coming up again and again. Something is wrong fundamentally with the combat in this game which needs a complete rethink. Balancing & dps adjustments will not be enough.
    <A sig goes here>

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    I'll agree to this. For all it's other issues, Bioware have a nice progressive reward system that benefits solo'ers, groupers and raiders alike. The lowest tier of currency - the planetary commendation can be got easily enough but which can be put to good use getting one's character geared up for the harder group content. Crafting also gives players a route to end-game gear.

However, what Bioware have done is that they've not only introduced a whole series of barter currencies for the different end game tiers but they give people multiple routes to obtain it. For example the Oricon area has a quest line that rewards the player with gear that is raid-ready - yet the player has to defeat mini-bosses that had me reaching for the youtube guides to work out the right tactics. Of course grouping would have made it easier but I like to have a choice.

I don't think it would take that much of a departure for Turbine to introduce a more progressive set of currencies. The skirmish mark rewards have always been, in my view, somewhat lacklustre and we do need more options at 95 to spend medallions. However what we lack is the difficult "dammit I died again, where's that tactics guide" content that will allow us to really stretch our classes and their builds.

What some people need to consider is that just because some of us might be more casual or solo oriented than others does not mean that we want the experience to be trivial. When I play sudoku on my phone I like a difficulty setting that makes the think, not one that I can finish in 30 seconds. When I do a crossword I like the cryptic ones, not those written for an 8 year old. There's no fun beating the computer at chess on the lowest setting - not when the standard opening moves always win.

Same with LOTRO. I don't want the same old opening 3 or 4 moves that my burglar employs to always beat an encounter. IMO it's not just about nerfing dps, rather let's see more mobs grouped up so that pulls need a bit of thought, let's have mobs make use of special induction attacks that need to be interrupted, otherwise we lose half our morale to one hit. Let's have more signature and elite mobs on the landscape that have us reaching either for our friends or the website with all the tactics, not just apply the same old rotation 5 or 6 times to kill them.

I'm sure this topic will keep coming up again and again. Something is wrong fundamentally with the combat in this game which needs a complete rethink. Balancing & dps adjustments will not be enough.
    There is a very important reason that we don't find enemies bunched together anymore. Groups can easily farm enemies that are set up this way. I, for one, would love to see this change in game, because like I said it simply makes killing enemies easier. More elites and signatures would also be a good thing to add to the difficulty of certain areas, but not everywhere. As you already know I completely disagree with the need for an overall damage nerf.

I don't know if those ideas to improve crafting are good or not. It doesn't seem necessary to me to have crafters be able to eventually make raid gear for their own solo landscape play. Yeah, it might look cool, and it would add more endgame for the soloer that wants to grind it out, but it seems needless to me unless it came with solo content that was so difficult that crafter would need that equipment. I just don't want to see raid gear become a requirement for basic landscape play because it is so easy to get...

Oh the irony.

I hate skirmishes too ... too much unadulterated fighting. (I
    realize I just mentioned what some players like the most.)

I do them sometimes with whh, usually the Ford of Bruinen, which
    whh could do solo in his sleep.

What with one thing and another, including Hobbit Presents, I
    currently have about 19K of the things in my wallet, and whh
    keeps telling me someday I'll find something I want to spend
    them on.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I loathe skirmishes but I need the marks to buy the level 45 class quest items from the skirmish vendor. If there are none in the AH I just have my alts go on without the class quest. I tried twice getting a group together for the Helchgam slime and lost the rolls both times.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I loathe skirmishes but I need the marks to buy the level 45 class quest items from the skirmish vendor. If there are none in the AH I just have my alts go on without the class quest. I tried twice getting a group together for the Helchgam slime and lost the rolls both times.
    Or you could interact with kin members or others on your server and ask a kindly person to barter it for you at the skirmish camp. Had you been on Eldar many would do this for free.

Edit: it appears there are many people who have such insular attitudes that it hinders their gameplay.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    Edit: it appears there are many people who have such insular attitudes that it hinders their gameplay.

It doesn't hinder my gameplay at all. If I can't get the item I want I move on. I've passed it already with several alts. I was just stating my opinion on the thread topic.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Since open tapping and auto loot, I believe everyone in the group gets a slime of helchgam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    Since open tapping and auto loot, I believe everyone in the group gets a slime of helchgam.
    There are no more rolls on the slime? I did not know that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast